Don't Starve Together Final Boss/Ending Ideas

It seems as though a final boss fight is inevitable, and I would naturally prefer something that differs more from the face tank/simply kiting boss fight mechanics. Perhaps there will be another adventure mode but for this new story. During a possible final boss fight, or even the journey before hand I think that it is mandatory that a significant multiplayer aspect is implemented,  meaning that one wouldn't be able to complete the game alone. This is important, for after all, this game is meant to played in a collectivist manor, together with others, hence the name (Don't Starve Together). A good example for what I am talking about is the toadstool boss, which is very difficult to fight alone, and usually requires a couple of friends if you aren't very experienced. I wouldn't want the final boss fight to be exactly like the toadstool one though. I would want there to be some mechanic that REQUIRES another player to help in order to defeat the boss. Let me gives you some examples:

• Various switches, levers, pressure plates, etc. that players need to activate at the same time at different places.
  • Something like ewecus flem but another player must help you or you won't be able to move (Obviously something must be done so both players don't get trapped at the same time and be trapped infinitely) 
  • Perhaps one player must stay in a certain spot while his team mate(s) fend(s) off enemies that are trying to reach him.

These ideas may seem a bit extreme to some people, but they're just a few examples to help you understand what I mean when saying that the multiplayer aspect in the final stages of the game may be and should be more significant. I hope you guys enjoyed this idea on the final stage of the game. Tell me what you think would be a good new multiplayer mechanic for a boss fight in Don't Starve Together! :D toadstool_stream_sm.png

2 hours ago, oli32xx said:

I would want there to be some mechanic that REQUIRES another player to help in order to defeat the boss.

And then people who don't have friends that play often are locked out of content? Everything else in the game can be done with one player, even if a lot of it is easier with multiple. Something as important as a final boss shouldn't be different.

Just now, JellyUltra said:

And then people who don't have friends that play often are locked out of content?

Hahaha I suppose although once again this game was made so you could play with your friends. Without a significant multiplayer mechanic then the game wouldn't represent the name. And there's always public servers! ;)

I dunno, DST and DS both feel like games where accepting death just seems mandatory and the characters have no chance of escaping the situation they're in. With a final boss fight, I'd assume that some sort of ending would be in order.

If it's a happy ending, the fan base will riot. If it's a downer ending, the fan base will riot. There'd be no way to please both parties.

Now, onto the boss fight...

I don't like the Ewecus mechanic. I'd also prefer a boss that could be done with a single player, but people will always complain whether or not DST should be geared towards that go at it solo or if it should continue to focus more on a multiplayer experience. Maybe holding down switches and levers would be a bit much. Why not use pressure plates?

A bit off-topic, I could go for a good ending. I'd have no problem with a bad ending, either.

Also, @ImDaMisterL,

Use those moderator powers of yours and blink this elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

I dunno, DST and DS both feel like games where accepting death just seems mandatory and the characters have no chance of escaping the situation they're in. With a final boss fight, I'd assume that some sort of ending would be in order.

If it's a happy ending, the fan base will riot. If it's a downer ending, the fan base will riot. There'd be no way to please both parties.

Now, onto the boss fight...

I don't like the Ewecus mechanic. I'd also prefer a boss that could be done with a single player, but people will always complain whether or not DST should be geared towards that go at it solo or if it should continue to focus more on a multiplayer experience. Maybe holding down switches and levers would be a bit much. Why not use pressure plates?

A bit off-topic, I could go for a good ending. I'd have no problem with a bad ending, either.

As I said my examples were a bit extreme but I don't think people bought the game to play alone.

As much as I'd love a final boss, fighting isn't exactly Don't Starve (Together)'s strong point. In the same vein, as much as I'd love an ending, the cycle has sort of been a major player in Don't Starve, but I suppose Charlie's reign is sort of an anomaly; not being bound to the throne like the others, or so it seems. 

Now putting aside the whole "I would but the vibes I'm getting say otherwise" thing, I'm a sucker for happy endings... and bad endings. Whatever it might be, I do like closure and an ending would be cool. Now that said, this would package the game, and no further content could be added without convenient excuses. So it comes with a drawback. 

I do very much want a playable character Charlie, but to keep the game making sense achieving this would be difficult. When you rescue Maxwell in Don't Starve, it comes at the cost of a different player. It feels real. There isn't an easy way to keep the story linear if Charlie were to be separated from their "New Reign".

In short, this post has said absolutely nothing. I don't know what I want, and I don't know what to expect.

A new puzzle would be cool though.

ADD IT IT WOULD BE AWESOME! Make It as if the player has to kill every boss in the game (DLC not included except A New Reign) BEE QUEEN AND TOADSTOOL Included! And Rather than the players finding a Sitting Queen Charlie on the throne, Make her a BOSS THE FINAL BOSS!!!! And if players beat it The players Will escape the DST world with the help of Maxwell and Charlie will go with them!! This happens because Maxwell finally takes control over 'THEM'!!!! Hope adventure mode in DST gets added!

1. DstAdventureMode

Oh would you look at that this has a lot of problems gameplay wise and story wise I just thought it was interesting in a daja vu way

Honestly, I always imagined an ending to DST to be some sort of showdown between the characters and Them. The ending scene would be like a stroll down the long hallway to the Nightmare Throne where we would find Charlie. I imagine her being weak and feeble, now that she no longer has the power of shadow magic on her side. There would then be some sort of bittersweet reunion between Maxwell and Charlie. Of course, there is still no way out of the world of Don't Starve, but eventually the characters learn to live together happily and make the best of what they have. Who knows, maybe they'll even invite some more people over via the Florid Postern and form their own civilization. I would imagine that the Nightmare Throne would become rather obsolete now that They have disappeared, so they would just be living in a world inhabited by an array of extraordinary creatures, but otherwise, not too different from living on Earth.

DST needs some kind of ending, whether it be canon, noncanon, or end up breaking the story. 

I like the idea of needing another player for the fight, but do you guys remember Toadstool, Klaus, and Bee Queen? Those were made to be extremely hard unless you have a friend to help out, and for any kind of final fight this has to be the same. Perhaps you need to hire inefficient pigs to help you out in a fight?

Also, turns out something is happening with "Them" in the next update - can't wait to see what our friends at Klei are planning!

7 minutes ago, SkyCommision said:

I like the idea of needing another player for the fight, but do you guys remember Toadstool, Klaus, and Bee Queen?

With some skill and preparation, it is possible to solo all 3 of these bosses.

For the Bee Queen, you can set up many Bunnymen near the Bee Queen hive. They'll attack her and because of the sheer number of them, being scared by her roar won't be enough to save the Queen's life.

For the Toadstool... well...

There is a strategy that involves using Lureplants. Trust me on this one.

2 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

With some skill and preparation, it is possible to solo all 3 of these bosses.

For the Bee Queen, you can set up many Bunnymen near the Bee Queen hive. They'll attack her and because of the sheer number of them, being scared by her roar won't be enough to save the Queen's life.

For the Toadstool... well...

There is a strategy that involves using Lureplants. Trust me on this one.

No, I'm aware of this. I was just pointing out that it's a bit harder to do it by yourself.

I'm kinda hoping the "fighting" Charlie would be she's attacking you and your friends and to beat her you must put the divining rod into the box thing. I mean that's how maxwell was forced off the throne it would work for Charlie.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:48 PM, DimWhat said:

I'm kinda hoping the "fighting" Charlie would be she's attacking you and your friends and to beat her you must put the divining rod into the box thing. I mean that's how maxwell was forced off the throne it would work for Charlie.

Well Maxwell wanted to leave the chair had his hands and feet bound to the chair so he couldn't leave

And charlie seems like she likes the power so she wouldn't want to leave

On 21/02/2017 at 3:03 PM, Donke60 said:

And Charlie seems like she likes the power so she wouldn't want to leave

Then maybe we have to try and make her leave and we'll need to find until we get a way to get to her, and she will keep throwing puzzles at us until we get to her, so she will just accept defeat but her  monsterous self will pop out and try to Murder US ALL!

3 hours ago, DatShadowJK said:

Then maybe we have to try and make her leave and we'll need to find until we get a way to get to her, and she will keep throwing puzzles at us until we get to her, so she will just accept defeat but her  monsterous self will pop out and try to Murder US ALL!

having fun with the text options are you? :)

Archived