Creature Ideas! <- "Put them here!"

I think most hostile creatures in this game should not be combated directly (unless there is no other way), but rather by drowning, burning or suffocating them. The kind of stuff that requires planning, and more or less what Klei went for in MotN, DS(T) and InvInc. Enemies are just much more interesting when you have to think about how to defeat them.

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Screenshot_2.pngI know my art isn't that good, but hey, at least this helps me train, right?

I love it~! Ariel shoujo weebie.png

When I think of weird monsters, Yellow Submarine comes to mind first but the Peter Max type creatures don't fit the type of aesthetic of ONI. Your creature would fit!

11 hours ago, deadgag said:

I think some kind of bug or worm would be interesting, which could eat metal or feed from electricity and if you don't be careful they could infest your base... I don't know some kind of space lice? So if you walk around some biome these lices could stick to the dupes... They would need to be cleaned before entering base to avoid a possible infestation... I just don't imagine a combat system against it, you'll just need some profilaxy and a system to contain them.

Good idea. Then decontamination rooms and air locks could come into play.

While i don't think we should make direct comparisons to dont starve, I think the creatures should be broken down into three classifications (like in Dont Starve): Passive, Neutral & Hostile.

• Passive - can't attack dupes & don't really do anything that could be considered harmful to the player.  could be harvested/farmed/domesticated for food and/or some resource they give off.
    • Fish (farmed for food)
    • A toxin-eating creature (put it in toxic water and it slowly cleans the water... the trick would be finding & transporting would be hard somehow... possibly only one on entire map)
    • Controllable Creatures (found on the map and are then controllable like dupes, but very limited in what they can do... such as a rock creature that can only dig) 
  • Neutral - will only attack dupes if attacked first.  can do stuff that is generally annoying/harmful to the player/dupes if left unchecked, but could also have a positive effect if managed well by player
    • Toxic Gas / Sludge creating creatures shown in the gamecasts 
    • Burrowing creature (digs around the map randomly... causes materials trapped in a certain area to be released... could dig into your water supply and drain it out, or dig into a pocket of toxic gas and release it into your base, etc)
    • Thief Creatures (get into your base and take stuff, but could eventually be controlled/domesticated (with research upgrades) and used to harvest/collect materials)
    • Base damaging creatures (eat structures in your base and poop out the raw materials)
  • Hostile - attack dupes on site and are generally malevolent
    • Lava Monster (fish that swims around in lava (they did say there was lava in game right?) and spits lava at dupes that get too close)
    • Dupe-eating Worm (eats a dupe that gets too close... would have a short amount of time to kill monster to save dupe)
    • Brain Slug (from futurama... it attaches to any dupe that gets too close and takes control of the dupe.  dupe would start doing random stuff until slug is removed... dupe wouldn't eat so would die eventually if left unattended)

Spoiler
2 hours ago, jj42883 said:

While i don't think we should make direct comparisons to dont starve, I think the creatures should be broken down into three classifications (like in Dont Starve): Passive, Neutral & Hostile.

• Passive - can't attack dupes & don't really do anything that could be considered harmful to the player.  could be harvested/farmed/domesticated for food and/or some resource they give off.
    • Fish (farmed for food)
    • A toxin-eating creature (put it in toxic water and it slowly cleans the water... the trick would be finding & transporting would be hard somehow... possibly only one on entire map)
    • Controllable Creatures (found on the map and are then controllable like dupes, but very limited in what they can do... such as a rock creature that can only dig) 
  • Neutral - will only attack dupes if attacked first.  can do stuff that is generally annoying/harmful to the player/dupes if left unchecked, but could also have a positive effect if managed well by player
    • Toxic Gas / Sludge creating creatures shown in the gamecasts 
    • Burrowing creature (digs around the map randomly... causes materials trapped in a certain area to be released... could dig into your water supply and drain it out, or dig into a pocket of toxic gas and release it into your base, etc)
    • Thief Creatures (get into your base and take stuff, but could eventually be controlled/domesticated (with research upgrades) and used to harvest/collect materials)
    • Base damaging creatures (eat structures in your base and poop out the raw materials)
  • Hostile - attack dupes on site and are generally malevolent
    • Lava Monster (fish that swims around in lava (they did say there was lava in game right?) and spits lava at dupes that get too close)
    • Dupe-eating Worm (eats a dupe that gets too close... would have a short amount of time to kill monster to save dupe)
    • Brain Slug (from futurama... it attaches to any dupe that gets too close and takes control of the dupe.  dupe would start doing random stuff until slug is removed... dupe wouldn't eat so would die eventually if left unattended)

Pretty much I could think of is contained here, so I second you.

Add some artwork at that and you are done.

2 minutes ago, DNsingbanana said:

If we had an incubation chamber that let us spawn diverse things, we could spawn hamster-like creatures that would run on manual generators for us ^^

Or we could domesticate some creature and make it run on the manual generators! And if they die the dupes would be sad about it, increasing stress level hahah

I think that would be an example of "Controllable creature" as @jj42883 said.

Revives thread
Here's two ideas:
-A small creature that is similar to ants or termites that damages buildings and burrows into tiles everywhere and invades the player's base in a large swarm, making it difficult to get rid of them if they're not dealt with as soon as they appear (and maybe they'd only appear when their nest somewhere in the world is disturbed or something like that)
-Some kind of silicon based creature that inhales oxygen and exhales sand and maybe lives in a very warm biome

A grey-goo (gelatinous cube?) type creature that traverses slowly, but infects water sources, growing in size, consuming water, but drops slime when a block of it is destroyed.  Think your water supply is safe?  Grey goo through your pipes to the supply.  Devastating, but if hidden far from spawn, a decent late game hazard.

Another good one may be a "smoldering" enemy.   One that would act as the much needed fire-hazard to address that too high a concentration of oxygen is dangerous in real life.  I imagine a stationary creature that checks the blocks around it for oxygen above a certain concentration, and if high oxygen exists in them, it consumes it entirely, and produces a large amount of heat.  Poses a great danger to unenclosed, high-oxygen bases.  Adds a legitimate option for steam production.

A "sea siren" type creature, that emits a noise in air, but not when submerged, that mesmerize a duplicate within sound range (should only be one otherwise could be game ending/breaking).  Entranced dupes cannot perform any action other than stare at the siren, until the sound is blocked from the affected dupes ears, or the siren is submerged in liquid.  Adds something to the sound mechanic, and puts a not impossible obstacle/challenge in the way of a player

Archived