Boss health is too high to be fun in low player count games

Hey Klei,

love don't starve, and I love dst. And before I get flamed by the seriously hardcore dudes, I think what I'm about to propose should be an optional toggle... but we need scaling.

I play with a friend, griefing free (we had a few bad experiences with random players) in a two man password game.

Honestly, bosses like the bee queen are not fun for us. single player don't starve had great health pools, and even a small boost to that would be cool... but over 20,000? Hundreds of hits. She has almost 10x the health of the badger dude, he felt right... even if we had Bigfoot (which we sadly don't get even in passworded game with friends) she'd take 22 hits from him to kill. 

It's health to the point of hours of smacking her in the face, and beating her once nevermind getting her drops for both of us is actually pretty boring. Dragonfly is the same way, I'd kill for a toggle that let us have the original dragonfly, fire breathing and all, as a toggle.

Original dragonfly is fun. New dragonfly is just an endless healthpool. 

I'd love to see an optional scaling toggle based on player count - like 22500 being the max player level, maybe 5000 for single player, 9000 or so for two, etc etc.

These games are amazing, but bosses who require a hundred gunpowder or hours of repetitive hit and run just isn't enjoyable the way bosses in the original were enjoyable.

And before someone accuses us of being poor players or lazy, we did win against dragonfly, but afterwards we just sort of agreed that it wasn't fun and we wouldn't do it again. That's a weird comment when it comes to don't starve, because it's usually a ton of fun.

GIT GUD CASUL. Thats a pre-requirement of such answers so no offense.

Srsly now, dragonfly is fun to go for the most optimized kills, just like with any boss. Creating or following new strats, optimizing stuff, planning how to rush for her... Personally I love that process. Reducing her health right now requires either adding a few more attacks to her features (I do have neat ideas but noone cares about old content, live with it) and proportional to their amount attack speed adjusting, so soloing her requires tonns of dodging and skill(but less then killing bee queen with dodging, plox), while zerg-rushing her with very little APM(ActionsPerMinute) becomes VERY punishing health-wise.

Right now dfly is a noob-friendly boss, since learning on how to kill her is pretty easy(though still requires a few tries), her huge health pool allows you to find out things on go(at least with a friend at least), while still making it challenging to rush her. Those seeking challenge are playing solo already so they are not crying over multiple tries required (though its nice to be a little B sometimes). That health also makes rush tactics on her to require somewhat more preparations before fighting her(as wolfgang at least, since you need to eat for quick kill).

Hardcore is always welcome, but currently its not the dfly that is boring, its just the world allowing you to have infinite amout of preparations. Try finding and fighting her on day 4 in a random world. If you'd find that boring, guide me senpai on what is fun.

15 hours ago, NoscopeFelix said:

This is the PS4 forum

Oops, sorry I didn't notice the forum! I just clicked from recent topics in sidebar.

5 hours ago, bestnick8 said:

HaHa... When the PC master race have to be rectified by us console peasants that they've posted in the wrong forum, which ironically they did on their master machines undoubtedly

True, I posted from my PC. But I do have DS both on PC and PS4 :) Console DS is best when my little sis is watching me play "that scary game with cute cows". I just can't buy DST on console because it's not available in my region. :(

5 hours ago, applebottom said:

Oops, sorry I didn't notice the forum! I just clicked from recent topics in sidebar.

True, I posted from my PC. But I do have DS both on PC and PS4 :) Console DS is best when my little sis is watching me play "that scary game with cute cows". I just can't buy DST on console because it's not available in my region. :(

No worries... I have all DS & DST games on both platforms, even though I'm more of a console player. Was just seizing the opportunity to rag in the eternal PC vs Console wars... All in good fun. XD

Sux that you can't get DST in your region... Ever looked into making a alternate account for a region where you could buy it from?

10 hours ago, bestnick8 said:

No worries... I have all DS & DST games on both platforms, even though I'm more of a console player

same here! ps3 (ds), psvita (ds), ps4 (ds & dst), steam (ds & dst). and lately more of a console player as well.

Archived