So how do these work, anyway?

How do these servers work, anyway?

I'm pretty sure that when I host a server, I am not the person hosting the server - instead, I'm partially running the server, and all the data is just being fed through the Klei servers and back to other players again. This also brings up the question of servers in different places - for example, if I were to live in Florida, would the data be sent to the Klei servers in Miami or Orlando and sent back?

tl;dr How do servers work and are they truly hosted anywhere?

Ehhh, I don't think the data passes through Klei. If that's the case it would be impossible for me to have less than 100 ping. I believe the data is sent from the client (to receive join message and movement input n stuff) to the host of the dedicated server (to process info and make sure no cheating happens thru hacked clients) then the data is sent back to all clients (to show others moving and stuff). So the closer you are to host, the faster the server receives input which means less lag. The only part klei's servers have to with this process is auth token and player ID verification. I could be wrong.

Archived