A little, but extremely important change to survival

Hey!

I'll start with saying that I don't like endless mode. It's too easy - no sanity drain when dead players are present, no maximum health penalty after revival via telltale heart and resurrecting at portal. I can understand that it was meant to be endless and work well with public servers.
 I play survival. It's the best gamemode in my opinion, the most popular for sure. But there is one thing that can destroy everything - world regeneration when everyone is dead. Wait, let me correct myself - when all present players are dead. 'But hey, it's the difficulty you wanted, right?' Yes, but imagine playing with friends. One of them hosts dedicated server on his PC, so if they have to go for dinner or walk their dog or just doesn't feel like playing - others can still play. It's a neat feature. Okay, now you play alone, since everyone just had more important things to do etc. You do stupid mistake and get killed Bunnyman, or maybe you just get terrible lag and die because you lagged while staying on tentacle. No one to revive you using heart, touchstones already used, no amulet on you. You didn't place effigy. In this case, the world will reset, destroying all the hard work of your group.
 The simple solution would be to let host customise the duration of 'everyone is dead' countdown or remove it at all. This would save many private dedicated servers from world regeneration against the will of players. Adding new 'custom' gamemode is also an option, where host can configure many aspects like max hp penalties, sanity drain and so on.

I'm not a big fan of telltale hearts, they remove the aspect of perma-death way too much.

Don't Starve is arguably harder than Don't Starve Together, because one mistake and it costs your life.

In Don't Starve Together, if you make one mistake, it's negligible as there's telltale hearts.

If you ask me, telltale hearts should be completely removed, they remove the whole aspect of trying to "Survive" and will make the game a lot harder and fun, at least as a challenge.

Telltale hearts should be at least tweaked the crafting recipe to be harder to craft, or the health penalty being much bigger.

As for the 'everyone is dead' countdown, it's supposed to reflect DS world regeneration upon death. 

I do however strongly agree with you, about the telltale customization options, as well for the sanity drain of a ghost, even perhaps it's speed. 

35 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

I'm not a big fan of telltale hearts, they remove the aspect of perma-death way too much.

Don't Starve is arguably harder than Don't Starve Together, because one mistake and it costs your life.

In Don't Starve Together, if you make one mistake, it's negligible as there's telltale hearts.

If you ask me, telltale hearts should be completely removed, they remove the whole aspect of trying to "Survive" and will make the game a lot harder and fun, at least as a challenge.

Telltale hearts should be at least tweaked the crafting recipe to be harder to craft, or the health penalty being much bigger.

As for the 'everyone is dead' countdown, it's supposed to reflect DS world regeneration upon death. 

I do however strongly agree with you, about the telltale customization options, as well for the sanity drain of a ghost, even perhaps it's speed. 

It would get a little awkward when your friend dies though.

*Bob dies to flower*

Bob: I ded :'/

Rob: Okay, bye.

Bob: oh.... bye.

Zob: git gud son

1 hour ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

.Telltale hearts should be at least tweaked the crafting recipe to be harder to craft, or the health penalty being much bigger.

I think that maybe Telltale hearts should cut the max health of the crafter, rather than the resurrected. It would feel like an actual sacrifice that you have to go through to save your friend.

It also removes mass production of them.

7 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

I think that maybe Telltale hearts should cut the max health of the crafter, rather than the resurrected. It would feel like an actual sacrifice that you have to go through to save your friend.

It also removes mass production of them.

Yes! Exactly!

Maybe cut the health of the person reviving by 1%~5%.

This would make Veteran players suffer more while newer players suffer less.

Even possibly they should tweak the booster shot too, make death penalties more intimidating.

I like this idea a lot. I guess it would remove the clutch satisfaction of floating to a touchstone on the last second and saving all your friends, but it's still a lot better than losing a long-lasting world to something like killer bees.

IMO we shouldn't tweak the telltale hearts. It's a multiplayer game, a lot of newbies around,the theme is about teamwork and honestly removing or tweaking the telltale hearts would either be way too hard and unfriendly to newer players, or easily recoverable by making booster shots (this is for the max health penalty idea).

Call me a newbie, a whiner, or just a generally bad DST player but i really like telltale hearts as is.

Honestly I stopped using telltale hearts when moved from private game with reallife friends to more or less experienced people. Heart + booster is easy to make (after change of booster's recipe), but amulets aren't really expensive, unless you die a lot. Then effigy is the best option, I kinda forgot about them, to be honest. They are good insurance, providing that you attuned one earlier.

Archived