[Game Update] - Against the Grain (BETA 205256)

not to be mean... but I was looking for a big meany treacherous interesting boss with the Antlion...

Instead we got a pretty little cat version of the Pig King

Not a hater... Just my honest comment on that matter...

This image shows how I fell about the Antlion right now.. 

mckayla-maroney-meme-getty.jpg?w=1400

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

not to be mean... but I was looking for a big meany treacherous interesting boss with the Antlion...

Instead we got a pretty little cat version of the Pig King

Not a hater... Just my honest comment on that matter...

Antlion more like Pink Panther with 80's disco hair style...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BluesyBuesy said:

Nah that's the oasis pond. You can fish there during the summer to get trinkets. Antlion spawner is invisible, but he shows up during the sandstorms which only occur in the summer.

So I take it we won't have to worry about sinkholes for any other season than summer then, at least that's what I really hope to be the case. Sounds like summer is even more tedious than before, but I'll just have to experience it and see if the pros outweigh the cons of this new mechanic before I bash it.

9 minutes ago, AdamNZ said:

Has anyone discovered how to actually craft the goggles? They can't be made from either shadow manipulator or alchemy machine.

that's what I've heard..

Spoiler

you need the recipe first... this you get by fishing at the lake.... idk the chance values yet

1 hour ago, cptCalavera said:

So anyone know how to aquire the boulder item?

And yes, sinkholes spawn where ever the player is.

My guess is you get the 'boulder' from "cave-in and sinkhole" while you are in the cave. Can someone confirm?

Wtf? Why must we start a new world to get the against the grain content. My gf and I have been building up a base with some friends and are nearly on day 1000. We put a lot of time into our world. None of us have the time to start a new world all over every time a new update comes out if we want to get the new content. I dont understand why a new reign they were able to add the new content to existing worlds and now they are not. I find this extremely frustrating as what is the point in envesting so much time into a server just so you can start all over again each time a new content update comes in. 

Some of us have jobs and cant afford to sit at home all day and keep starting new worlds. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

Wtf? Why must we start a new world to get the against the grain content.

"Please note that you will need to start a new world for the new desert biome, Sandstorms, and Antlion.  This also means that Sinkholes and Cave-ins will not affect existing worlds.  We’ll provide more information later, on how to manually add the new content to existing worlds."

You're in luck, just wait a bit for them to make a fool-proof tutorial on updating your world.

You'll probably be manually editing in the biome somewhere at your discretion.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

Wtf? Why must we start a new world to get the against the grain content. My gf and I have been building up a base with some friends and are nearly on day 1000. We put a lot of time into our world. None of us have the time to start a new world all over every time a new update comes out if we want to get the new content. I dont understand why a new reign they were able to add the new content to existing worlds and now they are not. I find this extremely frustrating as what is the point in envesting so much time into a server just so you can start all over again each time a new content update comes in. 

Some of us have jobs and cant afford to sit at home all day and keep starting new worlds. 

Then you could just wait to build a huge base until after it's out of beta? It's been great, and kinda surprising, that Klei has so far avoided updates that oblige us to start new maps, but I guess the thanks they get for that is having it become an expectation. All of a sudden "every time" there's an update you've had to start a new world, huh? Then you're the only one. (Updates to previous DLCs, like Shipwrecked, needed new maps to come into effect.) Presumably, given their prior efforts not to force a world regen, this time it couldn't be helped. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

"Please note that you will need to start a new world for the new desert biome, Sandstorms, and Antlion.  This also means that Sinkholes and Cave-ins will not affect existing worlds.  We’ll provide more information later, on how to manually add the new content to existing worlds."

You're in luck, just wait a bit for them to make a fool-proof tutorial on updating your world.

You'll probably be manually editing in the biome somewhere at your discretion.

Doubt it. I am on ps4 and they probably have a tutorial that will only apply for PC players. So i guess once again ps4 players will get shafted in favor of pc players even though we still pay full price for the game.

8 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Then you could just wait to build a huge base until after it's out of beta? It's been great, and kinda surprising, that Klei has so far avoided updates that oblige us to start new maps, but I guess the thanks they get for that is having it become an expectation. All of a sudden "every time" there's an update you've had to start a new world, huh? Then you're the only one. (Updates to previous DLCs, like Shipwrecked, needed new maps to come into effect.) Presumably, given their prior efforts not to force a world regen, this time it couldn't be helped. 

I work 8/5 every day. I have spent a lot of time building my world with my gf. We are quite happy with our base but there is still lots to do. When i saw this update announced i thought wow that looks awesome cant wait to get it. Now i find out i may as well take a torch and burn my base down and start a whole new world if i want to get access to the new content? It took us almost 2 months of playing almost every day to get to where we are and theres still lots we want to do. Seems pretty crazy to expect us to throw that all away. And im sure you will say something like "no one is forcing you to, its entirely optional" it is not optional when you have a full time job and have spent 2 months playing just to be told "if you want the new stuff go start again."

4 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

Doubt it. I am on ps4 and they probably have a tutorial that will only apply for PC players. So i guess once again ps4 players will get shafted in favor of pc players even though we still pay full price for the game.

Mmm, unfortunate to be sure.

Though last I knew Sony doesn't allow for developer utilities to remain in their games, so Klei's hands might be tied up in regards to that.

I assume the games have similar/identical saving schemes.

Perhaps you might be able to transfer the save over and have one of us update the map for you?

• Like 2

Are the cracks the antlion makes only spawned in desert/in a radal proximity to its "sinking sand pond"? Or is it all over the world, potentially creating cracks within your base?

Can the cracks potentially break if you walk on them for a while and create a sinkhole to thr caves which forcefully drops you somewhere in the caves or are they purely aesthetical? Or something else? Can they be plugged up with anything or fixed by any means? Perhaps antlion itself fixes them if you give it enough items beforehand or afterwards? Is there a limit to how many holes it can create?

Also, while these seem like cool additions to Summer... There doesn't seem to be much or any incentive placed within the game to make summer something to stick through like you do for winter (winter has deerclops, walrus with their hounds and arguably pengulls as sell as the best time to mine ice a couple of times). It's better and easier just to stay in caves all throughout. Give us some incentives, Klei, like making Dragonfly spawn in during Summer or somrthing (consequently making her loot x2 gems and gold because typically you'd be able to beat her twics a year and the addition of Summer as a challenge during fights should really make up for it. Plus, so other challenge elements I've mentioned in another thread, like Dragonfly having more attacks like lava spewing and fire breathing would be prrtty cool and make for a fight to REALLY prepare for. Especially since you have easy-to-make healing items dufing the season available (flower salad)).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Mmm, unfortunate to be sure.

Though last I knew Sony doesn't allow for developer utilities to remain in their games, so Klei's hands might be tied up in regards to that.

I assume the games have similar/identical saving schemes.

Perhaps you might be able to transfer the save over and have one of us update the map for you?

Not sure if thats possible. Doubt it will be but if it is then great but i wont get my hopes u on that as it seems like a stetch to say the least

35 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

Wtf? Why must we start a new world to get the against the grain content

Because technicals reasons ? Because Klei do his best to make new content appears in old world, so if it doesn't happen it's not because they want to deprive you for new content but because they don't have the choice. It happens, sadly. Not often, but it happens.

Maybe it will be possible to spawn things in a world.

7 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Also, while these seem like cool additions to Summer... There doesn't seem to be much or any incentive placed within the game to make summer something to stick through like you do for winter

At least it's still better than before. The thing teleporting the party around it (if i understand it well) seems pretty great, for example, so it's a reason to "brave" the desert and search for the antlion.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

I work 8/5 every day. I have spent a lot of time building my world with my gf. We are quite happy with our base but there is still lots to do. When i saw this update announced i thought wow that looks awesome cant wait to get it. Now i find out i may as well take a torch and burn my base down and start a whole new world if i want to get access to the new content? It took us almost 2 months of playing almost every day to get to where we are and theres still lots we want to do. Seems pretty crazy to expect us to throw that all away. And im sure you will say something like "no one is forcing you to, its entirely optional" it is not optional when you have a full time job and have spent 2 months playing just to be told "if you want the new stuff go start again."

Maybe not start the world in the beta version... In three weeks time the same thing will happen.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lumina said:

At least it's still better than before. The thing teleporting the party around it (if i understand it well) seems pretty great, for example, so it's a reason to "brave" the desert and search for the antlion.

True, however that's for one Summer only. Again, Dragonfly being moved to Summer only and giving more loot in terms of gems in particular would be all the better for incentivising Summer as a challenge long-term. Some other incentives would still be quite necessary imho, because then you can just prep in caves for the most part and then go into the battle once ready. Some good miscellaneous incentives need to be here... Like Spring gives a lot of Lureplants and generally is preferrable over going into caves (easier to deal with), the latter's the same for Autumn generally speaking and Winter gives a ton of good stuff and again, better to deal eith higher freezing than milder freezing and permanrnt darkness, am I right? Perhaps even have tumbleweeds and buzzards only spawn during Summer and the former just having higher chances for better loot like gears and gems?

And while they're at it, it would be a great time for them to improve Ice Cube and Fashion Melon right about now. I just wanna wear an Ice Cube on my head that doesn't make things worse than they already are, like in the good ol' days of RoG beta, okay?!

EDIT: in fact, buzzards and tumbleweeds being Summer exclusive would make the game more challenging and balanced anyway; since you can't get mass amounts of grass and twigs without flingos in many other ways, them being Summer exclusive would make for better balance. And since buzzards are a good source of meat, same thing kind of goes for them. In fact, they could then act as a Summer version of Pengulls, which I'm surprised wasn't done in the first place.

Edited by EuedeAdodooedoe
  • Like 4