Alternative use for moonstone idea

As we all know the moonstone allows you to place the star callers staff on it on full mone and if one is able to defend it, it turns into a mooncallers staff. I have an idea to further extend the use of the moonstone to allow other staffs to be placed upon it at full moon. The difference would be instead of it upgrading/changing the staff it would restore the staffs durability. In other words say i were to place a deconstruction staff on it that is at 10% durability and successfully defend it from the hounds and warepigs it would then return the staff to me restoring its durability back to 100%. This would make green/orange/yellow gems more renewable as at the moment i hardly ever use the items i have crafted from yellow/orange gems as they are extremely rare and hard to come by. I use green gems soley for duplicating thulecite as that too is not really practically renewable. 

So i thougt it would be cool if you were able to place other staffs on moonstone and then be able to restore their durability thus making them more renewable which would make me actually use some of these staffs instead of just keeping them as trophies

The Deconstruction Staff and Construction Amulet are perhaps the only ancient tools that should be limited in their availability, because of their capacity to multiply rare materials when used together.  I think the problem I have with this suggestion is that it doesn't tackle the intrinsic problems these two items pose:  

1. No items other than Thulecite Suits (construction and deconstruction) and maybe Pan Flutes (only deconstruction) exist that are worth using these tools on.
  2. They come so late in the game most of the time, that any convenience gained by "wasting" (see number 1) charges on more mundane items is largely lost.

So because of these two things, I believe that making green gem items rechargeable will still result in them being used only for the purpose of multiplying a singular finite resource, unless that rechargeability becomes so ridiculously available that it allows the player to more or less print their own materials infinitely.  Thus, other than adding more special materials like the Opal that can only be obtained via deconstruction, or by adding prohibitively expensive (but worthwhile) recipes, these items are pretty much doomed to fulfill the one and only function we have all come to know them for.

As for the other ancient staves and amulets, I really see no reason why they don't just give them some measure of being able to be refueled like they did with Magiluminescence.  Lazy Traveler, Star Caller's Staff, and especially the Lazy Forager do not have effects so powerful that they couldn't be assigned a fuel value that's appropriate for their effects.  I could see the Lazy Traveler accepting a lot of Nightmare Fuel just to get one Telepoof out of it, but that's probably the only one where it would be important to throttle it significantly (other than perhaps limiting the stackability of the Dwarf Star sanity aura).

-----

Although, all that said, I do like that any staff can be placed on the altar, and I think it would be very interesting to create some separate events attached to each of the staves being placed upon it during the full moon.  For instance:

• Red staves could set the season to Summer and start everything nearby on fire.
  • Blue staves could set the season to Winter and freeze everything nearby.
  • Purple staves could set the season to Spring, and teleport every teleport-valid target nearby along with the pedestal itself to a random world location or the nearest active Telelocator Focus.
  • Orange staves could set the season to Autumn and reveal the entire overworld map to nearby players.
  • Green staves could force a Through the Ages resource swap cycle, and send out a wave that deconstructs everything in a very wide radius.

This of course would destroy the staff being used for the ritual as it explodes from moon energy overload, releasing all of its magnified powers at once to create these grand effects.

17 minutes ago, SymKensaki said:

No items other than Thulecite Suits (construction and deconstruction) and maybe Pan Flutes (only deconstruction) exist that are worth using these tools on.

Belt of hunger, weather pain, marble suits (marble beam exists though)

1 hour ago, Destros09 said:

Belt of hunger, weather pain, marble suits (marble beam exists though)

Those are pretty good examples.  I imagine you could do the same for Thick Fur as well, requiring 3 deconstructs and one construct to build 3 fur.  The absoluteness of my earlier examples was flawed.

Though it does all come back to printing rare or limited materials, which is the big reason why I don't think these items can be allowed to be refueled, and a better solution would instead be to create more uses for them that emphasize their effects in ways that can be weighed against their ability to print materials.  Things like large amounts of mundane items in certain recipes (glossamer saddle), or maybe an item that costs 1.5x the crafting character's maximum health/hunger/sanity to be able to craft at all, or, as-listed, items that can only be obtained from deconstructing certain special items/objects.

Archived