Suggestions for improvement of food mechanism

DST can cook 31 kinds of foodBut people often cook only several kinds of food.

Other food has been eliminated.

( Dumplings and Dragonpie) (+40 health and +40 health)

I think the way of recovery is too OP, This also allows two props no one to use.

Healing Salve and Honey Poulite(+20 health and +40 health)

Suggest 1: Upper limit.

Example: If I want to kill the boss, Usually I need ten dumplings. But i eat up to five Dragonpie a day, So I had to make other food. Healing Salve and Honey Poulite are props(no Upper limit)

Or suggest 2: Food gradually returns to health

Example: Like jellybeans

I think food should be gradually restored to health.

Props immediately restored to health.

In the reality of life.If i eat thirty Dragonpie.I will die of gluttony.
But I can use thirty props, Not die.

These foods are too OP.

In the late game , I don't even need a tent to sleep

I think my suggestion can improve the diversity of food.
 And

importance of reply props.

My English is not good, If what is wrong - please forgive me.

food.png

I agree although major part of the game's food is useful a small substantial amount is over-shadowed by better alternatives or easier and cheaper choices, some tweaks need to be amended.

1. Fish Tacos healing the same amount of Fish sticks but giving less hunger, requiring corn, makes Fish sticks a much more superior choice.

2. Fistful Of Jam gives less hunger when all the ingredients are simply cooked together, however it's only useful for when berries are spoiling, which is a scenario I rarely encounter myself in.

3. Fruit Medley, arguably the worst crock pot recipe in the game, considering eating the ingredients alone cooked heals more health and hunger.

4. Honey Nuggets isn't even worth it at all, honey could be used to make much more superior crock pots meals such as Honey Ham or Taffy, healing only 20 HP and 37.5 Hunger, while Honey Ham gives off 75 Hunger and 30 HP.

5.Kabobs, you're better off eating the ingredients alone than cooking it up requiring a twig and giving less hunger, not to mention one more filler creates Meatballs.

6.Mandrake Soup, major amount of the characters in the game have 150 Hunger, Mandrake Soup gives 150 Hunger, forcing you to eat it when starving. Arguably a an waste of an panflute recipe, the soup gives 100 HP too, but it also spoils very quickly!

7. Pumpkin Cookies, Taffy require only 3 honey, while Pumpkin Cookies requires 1 Pumpkin, and 2 Honey, not to mention twig as filler. You're better off eating the ingredients separately since they give off much more Hunger that way, it gives same sanity as Taffy and more Hunger, but the ingredients alone give much more Hunger and Health.

8. Ratatouille, an off-spin twin of the Fistful Of Jam, it gives less hunger than the components alone when cooked. Should only be used when vegetables are spoiling.

9. Stuffed Eggplant, gives much more Hunger than the ingredients combined when cooked, but crucially gives less Health.

10. Unagi, only useful to prepare Lichen and Eel, in an underground base, otherwise it's better off to use Eel for Fish sticks and Lichen as a an veggie filler ingredient.

11. Flower Salad, it's only available in Summer, not to mention it spoils way too quickly! It doesn't need an explanation other than that.

I don't know if a limiting diet mechanic would make the game more dynamic, but rather tedious, if anything other under-used food should be tweaked in order to balance the others out.

rework.png

10 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

2. Fistful Of Jam gives less hunger when all the ingredients are simply cooked together, however it's only useful for when berries are spoiling, which is a scenario I rarely encounter myself in.

15 days spoilage time and gives ~same amount of hunger as if you ate them uncooked

3. Fruit Medley, arguably the worst crock pot recipe in the game, considering eating the ingredients alone cooked heals more health and hunger.

Actually pretty good when farming monkeys. Easy 20hp.

4. Honey Nuggets isn't even worth it at all, honey could be used to make much more superior crock pots meals such as Honey Ham or Taffy, healing only 20 HP and 37.5 Hunger, while Honey Ham gives off 75 Hunger and 30 HP.

15 days spoilage time and you can cook it with 1 meat + 1 honey + fillers. I often cook that, especially when rushing for bosses in a new world(thats a good option if you found no mushrooms). Its also a great healing at winter start since no butterflies are available, while honey is easy to get.

5.Kabobs, you're better off eating the ingredients alone than cooking it up requiring a twig and giving less hunger, not to mention one more filler creates Meatballs.

Its kinda bad, but Im pretty sure those dont have monster meat limit in their cooking conditions. 15 days spoilage time kinda makes them decent, but raising it up to 20 would definetely make them more usefull. While meatballs are just crazy and should at least be spoiling faster, if not give less hunger.

8. Ratatouille, an off-spin twin of the Fistful Of Jam, it gives less hunger than the components alone when cooked. Should only be used when vegetables are spoiling.

15 days spoilage time. It might prove itself usefull once monkeys in caves get nerfed(if you dont have any meat to cook meatballs with morsel+lichen, it kinda worth spending linchen on those if you care about sanity at the moment.)

9. Stuffed Eggplant, gives much more Hunger than the ingredients combined when cooked, but crucially gives less Health.

Still not worth going for since dragonpie is OP. It might be an option, however, if you are a fan of silly bunnies.

10. Unagi, only useful to prepare Lichen and Eel, in an underground base, otherwise it's better off to use Eel for Fish sticks and Lichen as a an veggie filler ingredient.

Not worth cooking even at underground base.

Archived