Shipwrecked IOS Version Fix Suggestions

App review

So let me preface this by saying that I like this game a lot. And that, despite what I dislike with the game, I still play it avidly.  This review isn't meant to keep ppl from buying the game, but rather, hopefully make its way back to the devs and have them fix what I believe are the downfalls of the iPhone version of their great game. Here they are:

1) The touch screen controls are clumsy. Are you trying to get away from that poisonous snake? Haha nope! You just tapped near a limpet rock so instead of running you're getting bitten in the a$$ by what will ultimately kill you, poison... if you haven't played this game before let me just tell you now, if you get poisoned and don't have a way to deal with it, you're dead. Just delete and restart. The health and sanity detriment to getting poisoned are almost impossible to overcome.

The reason I'm mentioning poison in the "clumsy controls" section is because one thing leads to the other. In the PC version of the game you can kite things attacking you much easier, the mouse is small and you know what you're clicking on and have a lot of control over your characters movements.  On the iPhone tho?... completely different story. I have an iPhone 7 PLUS and normal sized fingers... when I tap the screen it's anything but precise. Many times I click to move somewhere and my character starts harvesting a clump of grass, or opens a chest, or goes to punch my own Packim Baggins in the face... you name it.  This is fine if it were only this... when bought the iPhone version I expected some amount of clumsiness. However in a hardcore survival game like this where one misstep means death these clumsy features make you want to throw your phone in a lake.  And what's arguably THE biggest misstep you can make?... I'd argue getting poisoned. 

Poison is a new feature in the shipwrecked expansion and it will own you if you don't happen to have an anti-venom handy (which I won't get into but is a RARE drop that you only get from... wait for it... fighting and killing THINGS THAT CAN POISON YOU!!!). 

Anyways, in the PC version of the game kiting things like poisonous snakes and warrior spiders takes some timing to get down but is relatively easy once mastered. However in the iPhone game trying to click away and then back to dodge the poisonous attack is doable but eventually leads to disaster. The screen is so small that even though you know what to do, and how to do it, you'll blunder by no fault of your own and the entire game you've spent hours taking care to prepare and play perfectly will come to an end. This too is on my relatively large iPhone 7 plus screen, I can't imagine trying to play this game on a normal sized phone.

The fix? Offer the iPhone version a way to get anti-venom recipes without having to kill creatures that themselves can poison you.  And a side note, some of you will say, "just build a sea shell armor, 'noob'"... my counter to this is that that only protects you from physical poison attacks like snakes and spiders, not gas. The same argument still applies.

2) The game is too much for an iPhone to handle smoothly. Like I said, I have an iPhone 7 plus.  It has 256 gigs of storage. I'm on high speed internet (60 mb down). Whatever it is, I have faster than the average bear... and yet, my game stutters and lags at only day 23 once monsoon season starts and my base camp is barely up and running. 

At first I thought it was a good thing that the game was the same on the iPhone as on the PC but if I'm having these problems I can't imagine what someone with an older iPhone must go through. The game needs to be modified somehow to run smoothly on a phone if you're going to sell it for the same price as your console version or it's basically selling a defective product.

3) Crafting or cooking large stacks of things...

PC players can do this effortlessly. iPhone players need to tediously do this one by one and it gets old. Give us a way to hold down something to repeat the previous action or something to that effect to speed up the process.

4) Not another complaint, but a credit to the game devs... 

All this being said... I still can't help but keep playing your game on my phone. 

You have such a good game here that I keep torturing myself trying to make it work. Please smooth out the iPhone version somehow. It's too hard to make the moves you need to in order to avoid certain pitfalls... especially near my base where every corner of my screen has something on it.  If some things are this hard for players only on one platform... please offer slightly easier solutions to those players on that specific platform. We iPhone players are like drunken toddlers running around on the screen... you know that snake is gonna get us eventually from "fat fingering" the screen... please let us not be punished so hard by no fault of our own.

---Thanks for the great game overall!

-a struggling loyal hopeful fan

Archived