The Winter Challenge

In this challenge, you basically know it from the title.

You must start in a INFINITE WINTER world on Don't Starve Together.

Why DST you may ask? Well, since the thermal stone has a durablity, it can break (Yes I know I'm evil :P)

YOU MUST PLAY ALONE!!! NO-ONE ELSE!

Some characters I would reccomend to play as would be:

Wilson: Has a beard that will provide EXCELLENT insulation after 16 days

Webber: Has a beard that grows faster but with less insulation

Willow: Has a lighter to burn things for heat

WX-78: Rain does not exist in Winter- does it not?

Rules:

- Start in a world with the Spawn in the world configuration set on 'Plus' to give you a headstart

- YOU MUST NOT USE CONSOLE TO CHEAT

- Enable Client mods (if you want) like: Combined Status and Item Info (Cheat Mods are not allowed .-.)

Thanks for reading and I'll hope you'll try this challenge :3

12 hours ago, DatShadowJK said:

In this challenge, you basically know it from the title.

Why DST you may ask? Well, since the thermal stone has a durablity, it can break (Yes I know I'm evil :P)

Some characters I would reccomend to play as would be:

Wilson: Has a beard that will provide EXCELLENT insulation after 16 days

Webber: Has a beard that grows faster but with less insulation

Willow: Has a lighter to burn things for heat

WX-78: Rain does not exist in Winter- does it not?

Rules:

- Start in a world with the Spawn in the world configuration set on 'Plus' to give you a headstart

- YOU MUST NOT USE CONSOLE TO CHEAT

- Enable Client mods (if you want) like: Combined Status and Item Info (Cheat Mods are not allowed .-.)

Thanks for reading and I'll hope you'll try this challenge :3

Eh. If you're a beginner then sure, it may be hard. I'm joining servers during winter most of the time (my luck). I'd say pick Wolfgang, because Wicker won't be able to farm with her books during winter.

With his speed boost and increased health and damage getting Tam'o'Shanter will be easier and faster.

I may not survive the challenge, just because I'd get bored to death. After getting Tam and setting up a barebones base (base building in a world like that sucks, because snow covers ground tiles) I'd be done with it and leave. Well, maybe after killing a couple of bosses.

Starting in summer is more of a challenge, but caves make it easy. I'd say start in summer, no mods, no caves. As Wes. It's still not that hard, but it's harder than perma-winter. And more annoying.

Or even better. Get some newbies to play with you and keep them alive during this perma-summer world.

That would be actually hard.

And with everyting dangerous set on more/lots

Now you're getting silly. Do you know that aggressive mobs will target each other? I'd be full of Gears, Monster Meat and all other stuff.

Pick Webber or WX in this case.

It's not hard. Infinite winter is hard until you get the basic winter stuff at which point it's normal winter. Putting things on lots and playing alone also won't make it harder, it'll make it like putting things on lots always goes, which means screwing with the game's balance and making things easier in the grand scheme of things.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

It's not hard. Infinite winter is hard until you get the basic winter stuff at which point it's normal winter. Putting things on lots and playing alone also won't make it harder, it'll make it like putting things on lots always goes, which means screwing with the game's balance and making things easier in the grand scheme of things.

This. More merms and more spiders, and more tentacles... that just means more free frog legs and fish, and monster meat, and tentacle drops...

I've done LONG winter--in fact, my 500-day (WOO!) run is in a world with 40-day winters...but...I dunno, infinite sounds like it would get so _boring_ after a while.  The cool thing about having all four seasons is that you get to see them change.  If there was some way to make it like, longer than the standard longest (40 days) but still with SOME limit, so there was a tangible goal to reach...

Otherwise, nah.  I'm not a fan of challenges that are just "It sucks and it's just like this all the time, that's it." I like the ones that are "It sucks at first but if you work hard and are clever, you can make it _not_ suck as much over time" or "It really sucks A LOT but not for very long."  There's challenges like "You always have this restriction that makes you miserable and you can't change it, that's it" for the Sims*, too, and those are the ones I never play.  Same here. 

(That's not me dismissing it AS a challenge, in general.  I'm just saying it doesn't appeal _to me_.)

Examples of what I mean by "Starts off horrible but if you try hard it gets better" challenges would include the Sims 2/3/4? "Apocalypse Challenge" (TONS of restrictions to the point of near paralyzation, but you can unlock them category by category as you go along, and it requires strategy, etc.) and my own "We Don't Need No Education" challenge for Don't Starve, where you have no science machine but can gradually improve your lot through lucky finds of blueprints and/or boons.

Also if you put everything dangerous up to more/lots, with clever dodging you can get yourself _swimming_ in gears by only a few days in.   Also also, that sounds like a seperate challenge from the original that was just pasted on at the last second.  "Play with everything set to more/lots" is kind of its own challenge mode already.  Maybe not an uber-hard one, but running into tentacles outside of the swamp and just the chaos itself does take some getting used to.

And last but not least:  If you HAVE to be alone...why Don't Starve Together?  Seems it would work just as well on singleplayer.  :)  (I mean sure, with no mods the giants would have insane HP for just one player in Together, but you're not REQUIRED to kill any of them...)  Singleplayer is easier in some ways but harder in others; the new content that only Together has cuts both ways.  Yes, the thermal stones break--a change I find more baffling and annoying than anything else--but we also have no bundling wrap, you can't get any of the benefits from the new bosses, no mushroom farming, no gathering things when your hands are full, icebergs _don't grow back_ and there are no meteors to replenish rocks on the surface.  Not to mention the resource variants.  So I'd say it's about even.

Also I refuse to turn off ALL mods in Together, 'cos, seriously.  _Screw_ what they did to Willow.

...Notorious

It is pretty hard since you would need like 50 torches in your inventory to burn some stuff to stay warm and not build like 50 campfires around the world, also, fruit/food is near impossible to maintain in winter, if player disease was a thing, and you had to eat meat ONLY, you would be dead in the first few days, and also, you might run out of fillers for amazing foods such as Meatballs or something, since Ice doesnt grow back (I think I saw someone mention this somewere, in this post, or I'm just hallucinating) and I dont think you could make lots of firepits and expect to place them around your base burning 24/7 to allow your berries to grow

Yes I know I'm posting to much but, if you were to play all winter, you wouldnt be able to enjoy the glorious giant drops from the bearger (the Mr Goose of Painful Babies and Glorious Dragonfly of Doom has no use in Winter prior to its drops)

A Bearger's death would allow you for the hibearnation vest (pun of the century 2001-2101) which is great considering it has a high sanity boost paired with the tam, and gives the most sanity out of all warm clothing, and infact, winter dusks and nights are SUPER LONG, meaning sanity basically hates you at this season

On 12-1-2017 at 10:11 PM, DatShadowJK said:

You lost me there.. Why not more people? Put resources on less, let them scramble to survive. This is DST after all, not DS. 

And this is a little easy, to be fair. 

Wow, all the multiple posts!  You do know you can edit them when you think of something new to say, right?

--The icebergs don't grow back in _regular_ Don't Starve, and no, you didn't hallucinate, somebody did say that earlier in this thread and that was me.  They do grow back in Together, though.

--Not important right now, but the Spring Giant is a girl. :)

--Yeah, the running out of plants to eat...this is where the infinite winter becomes either unsustainable or really, really BORING.  I don't want to eat monster meat/ice meatballs all my life (although I do wander far and wide in the winter to make sure I get any unpicked stuff that might still be around).  A long winter with an _end_ would be more interesting, in my opinion.  An obstacle to get through, not just an endless slog.

--Sanity takes a major hit in spring, too, actually--for some reason the dusk is INSANELY long (even longer than some winter days! which has always confused me) and then there's the constant RAIN...  Did I mention that my 40-day-winters world also has the very longest springs possible too, with FIFTY days each?  God. Damn.  With BOTH of those sanity-draining seasons at their very longest, one right after the other...well, this is just to say that maybe a constant winter _and spring_ world would also be a decent challenge.  Some variety, but you'd also have to watch out for frog rains, TWO giants (that's a 100% increase!) and lots of lightning.

--I love leaving firepits around the world!  It's like a handy little outpost whenever you're out exploring and come across one you left earlier.  I did that a lot during the No Science Machine thing, because hey, what else ya gonna do with rocks?

Again, though, any challenge is both optional and potentially fun to different people, so if you wanna go for it, sure!

...Notorious

Some Random Guy: I'ma PLAY AS MAXWELL!!!!! 

Me: Kay, sure, live with the pain of dying twice for eternity (talking bout the health)

Some Randum Guy: B-b-but the Sanity 

Me: WHO CARES ABOUT SANITY! DIE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@CaptainChaotica

Yes, I am aware that the best Giant, Mrs. MooseGoose, Mother of Pain Children, is a Female, I just type to fast I don't see many of the Minor mistakes, I'm working on it

Also I'm aware to be editing and stuff, but I have to seperate it, which I have just done (The Pain on my Fingers, its Killin Meh) why havent I thought of that?

And running out of Plants, why not? Its the MAIN challenge of Winter aside with the whole, freezing, thing ._. (That caught me offguard before I knew that stuff changed. Ah the old days)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Off Topic, It was a pain typing all those tiny lines)

Anyways, to all, maybe we shall spice up the Rules, shall we?

Maybe, we start in Autumn, but you only have 6 days (Set Autumn on Very Short) to prepare of Winter (tis' the season to be Freezing, lalalalalalalala!) 

And with this, maybe the Bearger may like to Pay a visit to you.

And maybe we should place in a TIIIINY bit of spring with rain set on  lots or more  to make crafting a hammer VERY crucial to your own good. The best thing that would come out of this challenge is to not have to deal with THE ONE AND ONLY! DREADED CHALLENGE OF LIFE! THE INFAMOUS REIGN OF GIANTS SUMMER! See, I won't try to ruin the whole 'Freeze or Rain' challenge, and anyways, placing rain on more shall ruin Summer's whole Overheating and Withered crops deal (and also Wildfires, the Jerks, I have some, disturbing memoires of that whole deal)

So, does that last point make you happy? Also, feel free to copy my dashes if you want to seperate some text, It Was A Pain To All Of That

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should note that I have edited this whole slab like 50 times now

When I did try this, I got caught offguard by how Pengulls WRECK you on Day 12-15 cause of their starving. (Lucky I had a nice little Touchstone nearby to stop the Countdown, Woo!)

So much to learn, yet so little to think

Oh, I mean, it's your challenge. It doesn't have to be perfect for everyone, or like, the hardest thing ever.  (And yeah, the running out of plants...that's why I don't personally want INFINITE winter, 'cos...that's really boring.  I like to see seasons _change_, the scenery get different, some variety, ya know?  But that's just me.) 

--I'm also amazed you managed to type Our Feathered Lady's name correctly, 'cos EVERY single time I try that, with _any_ combination of spacing, hyphens, slashes or capitalization, I always end up calling her the same animal twice and looking kinda dumb.

--I too didn't know that pengulls attack you near the end of winter, at first!  Is that a Together-only thing?  I swear, I've had them camp right in my base and nothing happened except some annoyance, before.

--I accidentally ended up with a super-short autumn just recently, actually, on one of my worlds.  I randomised the seasons (as I like to do) and THAT'S what I got.  Only five days to prepare for freezing. Hoo boy.  It...wasn't pretty.

--Don't think you NEED rain set on "more" or "lots" in the spring, it's pretty damn frequent already!  : P  I mean, seriously, on default settings I've had stretches of _two entire days and nights in a row_ where it just kept raining.  (I also wish "more" and "lots" had more of a difference between them, but that's an old problem.)

--And heh heh, yeah, I'm very glad not to have to deal with summer.  An eternal SUMMER challenge would be very easy to name.  You could just call it:

Hell.  Both for the heat and the general misery.

Anyway, didn't mean to sound insulting--I enjoy making challenges myself, after all.  I'm kinda working on a complicated one right now but I have NO idea how I'm going to arrange it.  Heh.

...Notorious

Winter challenges can be actually very easy, with or without mods, usually you find flint and twigs fast to make an ax or torch to set stuff on fire to heat yourself.

I wonder...why I never see a Summer or Spring challenge? :p I am not good at making challenges but I see people focuses a lot on winter.

16 minutes ago, halfrose said:

Winter challenges can be actually very easy, with or without mods, usually you find flint and twigs fast to make an ax or torch to set stuff on fire to heat yourself.

I wonder...why I never see a Summer or Spring challenge? :p I am not good at making challenges but I see people focuses a lot on winter.

Spring isn't that bad, given it is an optional starting season in SP, but Summer starting is more challanging, especially if you forbid the caves and add some more spice to it.

1 minute ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Spring isn't that bad, given it is an optional starting season in SP, but Summer starting is more challanging, especially if you forbid the caves and add some more spice to it.

Funny thing, I never went to the caves during summers, it never runs into my mind about it. But yes, a Summer challenge could be a good challenge, specially if there are little to no flowers to make those little flower fans, forcing you to go about with a strawhat or such and scurrying around under the trees to find a mosaic or rocky land to get nithre

Archived