What i hope this game will include(in spite of oxygen)

-A cool story mode, with missions that go a bit out of the box of "building more and more". Like some levels where the aim is to escape lava slowly rising, others where you must defend a structure against waves of enemies (having to balance "farming" and spending resources on defense), levels where you must bring back an artefact, produce a certain amount of a refined good, 

-Some way to manage separate bases. A big weakness of a lot of base-building games is that they handle having two groups of pioneers in two far-away bases quite badly. Hopefully the devs thought about some way to not have duplicants run all the way across the map fetching for resources in another base. 

-Choices to make. Hopefully we have at disposition multiple ways to handle oxygen, power, transportation etc... in a balanced enough way that one building is not always the best choice no matter the circumstances. 

-A big tech tree with requirements. So you don't spend the whole game with only one guy and a small research station. Hopefully we get some big researches necessiting multiple machines, power, alien materials, alien  etc..

-Cool engineering. With all the science and simulation integrated in this game, it seems possible to make some really cool networks of machines, would it be teleporters that require you to set up a huge amount of power, steam machines, big drills.. Some way to build automation or production would be cool. 

-Exploration. So that staying in the initial biome for a long time is (not always) the best deal. Super rare materials shall await for us!. If we could get things such as long range heat detectors, lifeform detectors etc, it would make this even more viable. 

-Diverse hazards. Small metal-eating critters that will damage your machines, nests of insects that will spawn near your base, electric anomalies that will discharge your batteries.. Along with some way (not necessarily a direct control mode) to react efficiently to emergencies (possiblity to build panic rooms?)

-Useful duplicants equipment. And not just "upgrade x stat by y", but things that let us customize duplicants for their job, like heat protection suits, jetpacks, stun guns, exoskeleton that allow for building displacement, drugs that stop you from needing to satisfy body functions for a time,  or just fancy hats to reduce their stress. 

-Multiple ways to victory. Wether you choose to quickly dig for a big source of coal, or quickly tech, or explore in hopes of finding abandonned stuff, multiple ways to orient your base-building, with each its rewards, would be available.

I would prefer the "story mode" to be minimal. Instead "story missions" would be to my liking, that can be started during a regular game and convey some lore and help unlock new story mode levels while really being nothing other than side quests.

All the other points you make are completely agreeable!

A lot of good ideas in that list, I particularly like the idea of specific duplicant load-outs for certain jobs, will bring task assigning more into play which is something I love tweaking in Rimworld.

I do agree with Mobster that "story missions" would be my preference. I love games like Dungeon Keeper/War for the Overworld but hated the inevitable levels where you have to get your base/army prepared before a set event would happen and destroy you, they tend to force everyone to take the same path to complete them and take away freedom of play. Maybe a choice of in game missions you can accept/decline at intervals, and a mode which throws random events at you (such as Rimworld).

Something I'd love to see (maybe as a mod later down the line) would be a blackout mode where you can never see anything unmined beyond one tile. Imagine digging through whilst exploring, only to suddenly have water, toxic gas, or who knows what flood your base. :)

Well that would have some coherence with how don't starve plays out.

Having missions regularly proposed honestly means people will just have to make a "mission menu base" where they would set up a renewable base just to wait for missions, and don't try anything crazy in the main base.  It would also make losing a mission extremely annoying, even in don't starve if you lose you can launch back immediatly. I mean lore-wise and discovery-wise the portal for story mode is cool, but you just end up with a save slot dedicated to having your character in front of the portal for when you feel like playing it ^^ 

Sometimes not knowing what will happen pigeon-holes you into preparing for every hazard in the game aswell :p

I just feel, with the small preview we've had, that this game has immense potential for strategy, so being able to try and retry difficult levels to formulate some plans would be better. I mean for exemple take a level where you must reach the surface while lava is slowly rising. So much choices to make! Do you go and rush it out, risking failing if some super hard rocks block the way? Do you build a good base and try to rush for advanced drilling? At which intervals do you create new bases, and how big do you make them? Do you directly go up? Or you try to test left and right for easier biomes? Also, judging by how the devs made missions in DS, it will probably still be random maps (with set constructions/pieces) so you will have to adapt every game. 

1 hour ago, PudgeBalloon said:

Something I'd love to see (maybe as a mod later down the line) would be a blackout mode where you can never see anything unmined beyond one tile. Imagine digging through whilst exploring, only to suddenly have water, toxic gas, or who knows what flood your base. :)

Sounds like "Russian roulette" mode. I mean after being wrecked two times without being able to see it i would quit personally :p

They could even do , every two or three weeks, challenges map, whether it's having to harvest the maximum amount of X material in t time, having to defend against ever-increasing hazards, or be the quickest to provide a certain amount of power to a structure.. And then make leaderboards where you can send your replay ! 

Yeah, I agree Russian Roulette mode (now the official name :)) wouldn't be for everyone, a mod would probably be the best approach but definitely something I would play every now and then, I enjoy the punishment :). Russian Roulette mode with save scum disabled, that's where it's at :).

Like the idea of the challenges map.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:36 PM, DNsingbanana said:

-Diverse hazards. Small metal-eating critters that will damage your machines, nests of insects that will spawn near your base, electric anomalies that will discharge your batteries.. Along with some way (not necessarily a direct control mode) to react efficiently to emergencies (possiblity to build panic rooms?)

Spoiler

That's why I hated batteries in Rimworld so much and never used them... Zzzt, zzzt, zzzzt all the time...

Random rant aside, what I hope this game will have is: 

• Lua. (I really love that language.)
  • Puns! an awful lot of them.

Well it does not necessarily needs to be random.. could be a global/biome thing with a timer, that depletes battery, or prevents power circulation.. the thing being you will have to find how to build a base that can survive without power for a bit of time ^^ 

3 hours ago, Octyabr said:

That's why I hated batteries in Rimworld so much and never used them... Zzzt, zzzt, zzzzt all the time...

Random rant aside, what I hope this game will have is: 

• Lua. (I really love that language.)
  • Puns! an awful lot of them.

You can get round the battery issue by building a second set of batteries connected to the grid through a switch, let them charge up then flick the switch to isolate them. Then when you get the zzzt.. event, they won't drain and you can just flick the switch to access your back up until things are sorted out. :)

The game is using the Unity engine which I believe this is compatible with Lua scripting.

Archived