Tips for Summer?

sorry if this topic has already been made before im just really nervous hehe

I started my recent RoG world with spring. I know a little but not alot about summer, so how should i prepare for it? I've heard that you should store ice and a thermal stone in an ice box? also a siesta lean-to, endothermic fire pit, and manure to put out fires? I'm really not sure, so any tips or advice would be appreciated! :D

Ice isn't very reliable as the glaciers may melt before you get your ice box running, but you can get around that by prototyping asap. Flingos are great if you want to stay in a "main" base, but annoying to maintain. The hat is okay for getting wet before setting out for the next day, but it's not necessary or needed later on.

I'd recommend moving to the desert, settling very close to a cluster of Cactus or a bit further from Buzzards (if Wigfrid):

• Make firepit, endo pit, Ice Box and Thermal Stone, plant a tree beside endo (Birchnut is good for telling seasons) for shade
  • You can place an Alchemy Engine for prototyping, try limiting other burnable structures
  • Prepare 3 Papyrus and 3 Silk for Floral Shirt (with this and Ice Box'd Thermal Stone you should be able to venture out and back for the Day on most days)
  • Find an open area without burnables for Hound waves
  • Light 20 Seeds (or something with lesser potential) on fire to get 20 Ash in case Dragonfly comes (optionally get bird cage in Spring so you can have 14 Gunpowder to get Scale drop)
  • If you don't want to take a risk of setting off wildfires, you can spend the time picking/penning tumbleweeds, harvesting cacti/killing Buzzards (if Wigfrid) killing Spiders, clearing the landscape (removing all burnables to reduce risk of losing cacti) (if Swamp nearby you can also try clearing Spiky Trees, Spiky Bushes, and Tentacles)
  • Lean-to is good for emergencies or for skipping days you don't like
  • Other good items for heat protection are Umbrella and Straw Hat if you don't have Snow Chester or Chilled Amulet by second Summer (I think it's harsher than first?)
  • It's easier to put out smoldering with hands if you have the HP
  • If you don't mind replacing turf with craftable turf, you can use Lureplants as the smoldering version of a lightning rod (they do die eventually if you don't put them out, but you'll get enough replacements later on)

1. Make a CAVE base in the spring. You get hot a lot slower in the Caves.

2. Ice Box + 2 Thermal Stones + Caves = Problem Solved. You don't need endothermic fire pits.

As Wendy I setup a spider farm and amass an ungodly amount of monster meat daily with Abigail and cook meatballs with Crockpot and Bird Cage. Game over, you can survive forever. Depth Worms can be solved by utilizing Rock Lobsters.

Additional benefits in Caves is

1. Ton of Nitre for Endothermic Fires

2. No spontaneous fires

3. No boss spawns

On 1/19/2017 at 6:38 PM, someonenoone11 said:

1. Make a CAVE base in the spring. You get hot a lot slower in the Caves.

2. Ice Box + 2 Thermal Stones + Caves = Problem Solved. You don't need endothermic fire pits.

As Wendy I setup a spider farm and amass an ungodly amount of monster meat daily with Abigail and cook meatballs with Crockpot and Bird Cage. Game over, you can survive forever. Depth Worms can be solved by utilizing Rock Lobsters.

Additional benefits in Caves is

1. Ton of Nitre for Endothermic Fires

2. No spontaneous fires

3. No boss spawns

Also try to catch fireflys before (seems obvious but you usually need a lot)

Archived