The Saga of Wigfrid and the Fluffy Bunch: A Cautionary Tale

Gather 'round--Old Lady Chaotica's got a tale to tell:  (And before you condemn me as a wimp, bear in mind this was in my early days of playing Don't Starve as a whole, and I had never killed a giant before.)

So.  I was playing Don't Starve (singleplayer!)--and it got to my second fall of the playthrough.  Last time I ran into Bearger things...didn't go so well...

(insert video I unfortunately don't have of Wigfrid running across an entire continent in a straight line desperately looking for food while being chased for THREE.  DAYS.  STRAIGHT.)

...so this time I was ready.  I had read that if you have a stack of ten honey, you can put him to sleep.  He happened to show up in, thankfully, a pretty barren rocky area, I threw down the honey, hid behind a rock, waited, and BAM!  No more trouble.  Worked like a charm.

On my way back to camp, I decided to hunt a koalephant--and ran across a varg with a whole ton of fire hounds!  Since I was already beaten up from stuff that happened earlier, I was like "NOPE" and lured them into the local beefalo herd.  Made it back to camp without a second thought.

Come the _next_ fall...I'm on my way back from the Pig King when Bearger decides to show up right _then_.  In the middle of a busy forest.  I lure him away as far as I can, but it's getting dark and I'm starting to panic, so I throw down my honey (yes, I had some!) whereever I happened to be.

....which was still in the outskirts of the pig village.

...oops.

Cue the pigs yelling "YOU GO SMASH!" and running up to barehandedly _punch_ the giant, and TOTAL FREAKING CHAOS EVERYWHERE.  I didn't feel like running around near a giant in the dark, so I just stayed by my campfire until morning, then booked it back to base--through the ruins of the pig village--hoping against hope that OH DEAR GOD.

Sleeping Bearger.  In the COMPLETE, I mean total, like no brick left standing upon another, wreckage of my camp.  (What, was he taking lessons from Deerclops?)  Aaaand now it's almost winter.

So.  Even with the help of my loyal buddies Chester and Glommer (the aforementioned Fluffy Bunch), it took me many trips to pick up all the bits of my old camp I felt were still useful and move them to a new, okayish location.  Sneaking carefully up to the Bearger and grabbing things right out from under his furry hide...it was kinda nervewracking.  But I managed to get kinda sorta decently set up again JUST as winter hit.

And, hounds.

Since I was kinda hungry and frozen and didn't feel like it, I ran desperately towards my local beefalo herd.  Where I encountered THE LEFTOVER FIRE HOUNDS FROM OVER.  A _YEAR_.  AGO and got attacked by fire _and_ ice hounds at once!

And THAT'S why you don't leave your old problems just lying around.  : P

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And THAT'S why you don't leave your old problems just lying around

Left a meatbulb at my base to protect it from wildfires. carelessly went on a 3 day trip to come back and find many of my items, including my prized hunger belt, consumed by the hideous plant due to my laziness concerning building chests.

Oh, my god, those things are obnoxious.  I remember one really early playthrough (right after I unlocked Wendy in the singleplayer version) where I stumbled back to camp to throw a log on the firepit at BARELY the last second...only to get smacked upside the face by one of those damn things...three...TIMES...in one...season!  (This was also before I got Reign of Giants, and I remember how every morning, a random bee would fly up into my face, like "hi", and fly away again.  It was kind of bizzarrely idyllic.  Ah, the innocent days...before you had to build your beeboxes at least two screens away because spring...)

And, another example of them eating your stuff--I've started putting flooring under my tooth trap areas now.  Because it ATE THE DAMN TRAPS.  : P  Did it even help me by killing the freaking hounds when they showed up?  Pff . No.

...Notorious

Archived