Guys, Ladies, please... I can't get past like day 8

Guys, Ladies, please... I can't get past like day 8... WTF am I doing wrong? I think the problem is food, although I've read how "abundant" it is, which I actually agree with. Now that I know about splitting coconuts, rock clam things, the trick with crabs, seaweed etc.

Anyways, please just give me some of your favorite tips. I What do you do first, second, third — whatever. I need victory! Or at least improvement! The hands off nature of this game when it comes to instruction is both fantastic and maddening. 

Thank you,

Cheeseus

1)Sticks and grass

2) U need some gold to start a successful base that's . So make a raft and go explore.

3) pick food if u see any like seaweed berries or anything else. 

Make a raft find island u want to live on. Good choice is island with merms who catch fish.  Build base and dig grass sticks  move to your island close to base.

Just a small tip - butterflies are love, butterflies are life. You can one-punch them to death. They wings fill a small chunk of hunger and whooping 8 hp. In the early game, when you explore islands, just punch every butterfly that you pass nearby. Add other foods you find - mostly berries and seaweed - and you're good.

You don't have to settle down on the first or second island you see; take time and find a great area for a base (I'm super picky and sometimes go on for ten days, even starting one and then finding a better spot later and essentially have two). Gather all the essentials: grass, sticks, wood, flint. But as soon as you get some gold, put up a science machine, get 10 seashells and a rope and 2 seaweed and make yourself a seashell suit. You won't get poisoned if you have that on! 

Also if you don't mind adjusting your world a little, having more crates/boxes scattered about makes making better boats faster in the game. 

If you've played ROG/Vanilla, the best way to get food is a few spider nests 2-3 screens from base camp for the monster meat. Making a bird cage (finding the marsh is important for the reeds) to make eggs then you can make meatballs for days. Additionally, make the shovel and shovel up all the berry bushes you come across and plant those at base along with the sapling/bamboo. Eventually flint will not be so available so might as well make gold tools once you find the magma piles.

The hard part is finding the floaty boatys for the gears.

Archived