Connection between the Characters?

Hey guys, I'm new here and I wanted to know a feel things about the Lore of the game, so I decided to create a new Topic. First of all, I want to apologize for my bad English, I am not american. Anyway, I would like to know if ALL the characters are important and if they all have connection with each other or with Maxwell (Except for the last ones that came with Shipwrecked, or are they also important?). And most importantly, what do you guys think those connections are? One of Maxwell's speech about a trinket from the grave suggests he knows even Webber as he states "The monster child gets tangled in this frequently." I mean, he obviously knows all of them, but I wander if one or two aren't there just for fun, you know? I want to know if they're all important cause I'm kind of going to write a theoretical timeline from the very first fact we know of (1901 where William's story begins according to the Puzzles) until now where the Cyclum Puzzle ends, I'm gonna try to do it connecting all of the characters, but of course most of it will be just speculation considering we still have a lot to know about the real story. But still, it is pretty cool to come up with theories haha. Anyway, if you guys could help me it would be great.

Again, sorry for my bad English and Happy New Year everyone :D

Just now, Allanzoka said:

I know, but I want to understand the connection between them :confused:

There really isn't much except for the fact that Maxwell is the one that tricked them. Through the quotes we can infer that they're now getting to know each other and developing a better understanding of each other. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Quoth143 said:

There really isn't much except for the fact that Maxwell is the one that tricked them. Through the quotes we can infer that they're now getting to know each other and developing a better understanding of each other. 

Maybe not all of them but there's certainly a connection. So far I guess the most important of them are Wilson, Wendy, Wes and Wolfgang, considering they must be the ones in William Carter Puzzles (Except for Wilson), and maybe Wickerbottom is Charlie's sister. What about the person who burned the Voxola company? Is it Willow? Is WX-78 a Maxwell's experiment? They also say Webber might be Wilson's son but I doubt that one.

Edited by Allanzoka

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Wolfgang and Wes seem to have a connection just by circus, unless that isn't Wolfgang on the poster.

I guess it is him, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Maybe Maxwell was mad cause of the debts and stuff, there must be a reason they're all in there. I wish one of Klei's members could answer my topic :(

Edited by Allanzoka
  • Like 1

Well from what I can gather or speculate is wison would be the last aboduction Wes would be one of the first considering you can actually meet him and webber (sort of) in the game itself which would also but wolfgang in the same boat I always thought the character portaits were the line of abductions but in reverse considering in the base game it starts with wison and ends maxwell if you don't have an expansion.

We do know that maxwell and wendy are related do to a card in one of the puzzle photos and quotes 

Its really hard to make character connections because the only ones we have got glimpses of are Wison (poster boy) and maxwell so thats as far as I could say things with certainty I have my own theory thread that's archived I will link to
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/69760-my-theory-on-how-the-characters-were-chosen-and-how-dont-starve-together-in-the-universe/

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums. Let me save you some work: https://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/comments/2vdc2g/dont_starve_the_story_so_far/

It's quite decent without jumping to assumptions. A worthy read.

3 hours ago, Allanzoka said:

Maybe not all of them but there's certainly a connection. So far I guess the most important of them are Wilson, Wendy, Wes and Wolfgang, considering they must be the ones in William Carter Puzzles (Except for Wilson), and maybe Wickerbottom is Charlie's sister. What about the person who burned the Voxola company? Is it Willow? Is WX-78 a Maxwell's experiment? They also say Webber might be Wilson's son but I doubt that one.

The connection between the transients is that they were all tricked by Maxwell and are now trying to live alongside one another. There is no need to assume that they all know each other prior to abductions. We have lore reasons and meta reasons. The first is Maxwell the kidnapper. The second: having variety of choice who to play rather than just Wilson.

Now, your questions...

1. What leads you to the assumption Wicker is related to Charlie?

2. The company needn't have been the victim of arson. The devs said it burnt. No point in thinking it was Willow.

3. WX sounds more like Wagstaff. It's fanon, but pretty ascended one from what I gather.

4. Who says so? Webber's quotes hint at a multigenerational family: his mother, his grandpa, his father - who kept goats and possibly had an episode of moonshining (the alchemy lab). Wilson just doesn't fit on top of finding the skull ex cathedra.

I guess it is him, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Maybe Maxwell was mad cause of the debts and stuff, there must be a reason they're all in there. I wish one of Klei's members could answer my topic :(

The reason they're HERE is that Maxwell sought freedom from the Throne. And the Throne needs a victim at all times. The transients were entertainment and a source of hope one would take over. His biggest oopsie moment was not dying after Wilson freed him.

Debts were the problem of William Carter, that is Max without the Codex.

It is worthwhile to write to the devs if you want the Word of God. They answer fan mail :). But I suspect they have nearly as many blank areas as we do. It's a fairly solid storytelling technique.

• Like 4

I'm not saying they knew each other before the abduction, I'm saying it must be a connection between them and Maxwell. I don't know maybe he didn't bring them there just to play with, for that I said it should have a reason. Maybe Maxwell could only take people with a weak heart and deep desire or something like that, but why would he bring his own niece or try to play with her? Would a child be able to replace him at the throne? and if Wendy really is his niece, then at least her has a connection with him. About Wes he says "he displeased me" . So Wes also wasn't there just to be played with (or maybe he was, that doesn't really mean anything). And Maxwell made Wilson build the portal that resembles the door to the adventure mode, maybe hoping he would find and replace him at the throne. But anyway, I don't know if Wickerbottom is related to Charlie but maybe she could be related to the Codex? About Webber, how did he became a spider? So many questions...

But anyway, I don't think the devs answer those kind of questions, do they? What should I write them?

1 hour ago, Arlesienne said:

But I suspect they have nearly as many blank areas as we do. It's a fairly solid storytelling technique.

They must have a timeline, I can't believe this :c 
Also, thank you I loved your comment. ;)

Edited by Allanzoka
  • Like 1

only take people with a weak heart and deep desire or something like that,

Not necssarily Woodie and Willow don't really have strong desires to reach something All the throne needs is a host

1890s - 1906: William Carter origin story
1906: William and Charlie enter the DS world. 
1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*
?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell
?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.

?: Some other crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

?: The DST plotline begins.

Got it lets start filling in blanks or question marks in this case
SOMEONE CALL MATPAT

• Like 1

Yeah, but Willow does have a problem with fire as she lights fire when nervous and all that, so maybe her desire was to change it? About Woodie it is just way more complicated, I mean, he has a curse and an axe that actually talks. Didn't he get the curse after he was inside the DS world? Was there any way of getting magic in our original world without the Codex? If so, maybe his desire would be to get rid of the curse he already had? That way Maxwell could've tricked him saying he could cure him. I don't know.

10 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell
?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.

?: Some other crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

Is that official?

10 minutes ago, Allanzoka said:

I'm not saying they knew each other before the abduction, I'm saying it must be a connection between them and Maxwell. I don't know maybe he didn't bring them there just to play with, for that I said it should have a reason. Maybe Maxwell could only take people with a weak heart and deep desire or something like that, but why would he bring his own niece or try to play with her? Would a child be able to replace him at the throne? and if Wendy really is his niece, then at least her has a connection with him. About Wes he says "he displeased me" . So Wes also wasn't there just to be played with (or maybe he was, that doesn't really mean anything). And Maxwell made Wilson build the portal that resembles the door to the adventure mode, maybe hoping he would find and replace him at the throne. But anyway, I don't know if Wickerbottom is related to Charlie but maybe she could be related to the Codex? About Webber, how did he became a spider? So many questions...

But anyway, I don't think the devs answer those kind of questions, do they? What should I write them?

They must have a timeline, I can't believe this :c 
Also, thank you I loved your comment. ;)

You're warmly welcome :). As you correctly mentioned, he was targeting those with desires to exploit. Typically people agree in Wendy's case, it was bringing Abigail back.

I don't think we have anything to go on with in regard to Wicker. Maxwell offering her a place where words have power? She shouldn't have fallen for such a trifle, words have power by default!

Webber as a spider - I believe the actual merge happened after being taken to DS. Spiders on Earth are too small to swallow boys. In my headcanon, Webber was trusting like any child, thusly vulnerable. Maxwell came, created an illusion of him being deformed and then magnanimously offered to help with the furry problem. This is nothing confirmed, but decent enough for my roleplayers (I run a campaign on special servers in case you wish to know).

Willow's problem is real. She suffers from pyromania. It's an actual disorder. At the time no viable treatment was available; I'm not up to describing what she had to face in the asylum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Allanzoka said:

Yeah, but Willow does have a problem with fire as she lights fire when nervous and all that, so maybe her desire was to change it? About Woodie it is just way more complicated, I mean, he has a curse and an axe that actually talks. Didn't he get the curse after he was inside the DS world? Was there any way of getting magic in our original world without the Codex? If so, maybe his desire would be to get rid of the curse he already had? That way Maxwell could've tricked him saying he could cure him. I don't know.

Is that official?

Yes it indeed it is by @Kevin himself pulled it right from the link Minespatch gave

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

(I run a campaign on special servers in case you wish to know).

It looks fun I used to do the same with my friend. I even made a Fan Art using PaintTool SAI, maybe I'll post it here later.

3 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Yes it indeed it is by @Kevin himself pulled it right from the link Minespatch gave

So about the Timeline, it was posted here two years ago, now we have a little bit more of information, so it should be something like:

1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell
?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.
?: Charlie releases Wilson and take control of the DS World. 
?: Wilson and Maxwell build a portal to bring the other characters together.

Now what about the part between 1906 and 1910ish? 

6 minutes ago, Allanzoka said:

1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

Now what about the part between 1906 and 1910ish? 

Stuff that happened after the San Francisco earthquake and things that possibly happened to Charlie. Again, that part sounds important.

• Like 1