personal annoyances

a bit of backstory to this first, so whoever reads this doesn't think i'm just some child who doesn't know what i'm talking about: at the time of typing this, i have 217 hours in don't starve, and 90 in DST. i love the game, i think klei is one of the few game companies that i can trust to put out a quality game that doesn't rely on extortion ******** or whatever people are calling "free but not really" games nowadays. that being said, every gem has its flaws, and here are the ones i've found. i don't expect these to be addressed by klei, but i would like it if they were. try to remember, if you're reading this, that i don't hate klei. i'm just sick of all the valves out there, the companies that get put on pedestals and can do no wrong until they're worse than EA, speaking of which, you see the steam storefront nowadays? but that's besides the point, on with the petty complaints.

fertilized grass makes the same noise as manure and it's really annoying to hear all the time if you have it in in your base.

the advanced farm doesn't have an animation for placing it like most other structures

putting a bird in an empty birdcage makes your character say the "there is already a bird in this birdcage" quote. (it still puts the bird into the cage)

the lightning rod should have a coverage radius that you can see by mousing over it or clicking on it.

friendly NPCs can't keep up with you on roads and/or with the walking cane, so it's possible they'll get lost and/or killed without your realizing. with chester and abigail, this can cause frustration

when a golden tool breaks, it isn't replaced by the regular variant, or vice versa.

webber plays almost the exact same as wilson, but you don't go into pig villages and you have a worthless beard.

if you trigger the season-changing trap to make it summer from winter, the snow stays on the ground. i only lived for about 7 days after this happened, but the snow stayed that entire time. also the snow-on-ground texture is a pain in the behind, because if there is any lighting condition, you can't see roads or biomes and you have to check your map every other second.

there is a small chance of, in adventure mode, getting a world where you have to find a worm hole that can be anywhere in the world in order to obtain one or more of the things, turning what would be a world that takes about 5 days to get through into a world that takes upwards of 50, simply by the fact that you can't find wormholes in any way other than MAPPING THE ENTIRE WORLD.

everything in shipwrecked: monkeys can't be killed if you don't have a ranged weapon, food is REALLY easy to get, nothing is balanced around any character, it's incredibly easy to never die, boat combat is stupid and clunky because you can't attack until you come to a dead stop and you have to gain momentum to get going again, so the most efficient way to kill anything is to sit in one spot and hold the fight button.

Archived