Make Gears Renewable

Many of the critical items in the game require gears, and in many seeds/worlds they are incredibly rare. This presents an issue as it may take you several hours of gameplay to understand that the world was generated with very few clockworks (the only predictable way to get gears). 

In addition to tumbleweeds and graves I'd suggest adding some other mechanic to make or discover gears. Even if we came up with some method to build stone gears or something that needed to be replaced over time (eg broken fridge / flingo).

As a fallback allow gear frequency to be set as a server option, either in general terms or a basement threshold. 

You do know that ruins are cluttered with gears, right?

I'm not kidding, the ruins is literally cluttered with broken bishops, and rooks. Therefore even though gears tend to be non-renewable, it's easy to find them in the ruins. I wouldn't say they're renewable exactly, but rather easy to find in the ruins.

Gears only becomes scarce if you're with an WX-78 or happen to be farming alot of resources, therefore need lots of flingos.

But seriously, if you're having trouble finding gears, I heavily suggest looking in the ruins.

Note: You can also set bishops/rooks and horse to more in world options.

1 hour ago, Risar said:

Many of the critical items in the game require gears, and in many seeds/worlds they are incredibly rare. This presents an issue as it may take you several hours of gameplay to understand that the world was generated with very few clockworks (the only predictable way to get gears). 

In addition to tumbleweeds and graves I'd suggest adding some other mechanic to make or discover gears. Even if we came up with some method to build stone gears or something that needed to be replaced over time (eg broken fridge / flingo).

As a fallback allow gear frequency to be set as a server option, either in general terms or a basement threshold. 

Gears are intentionally rare.  You aren't meant to easily acquire a ton of them.  This suggestion would negate this intentional restriction on how many structures you can build that use them.

At least, with tumbleweed, we have infinite chance to get a gear, so it's not an unique item (But really rare to get)
And i'm taling about social game with +300 day for example.

In Survival, you have the ruins, where you can get 25/30 gears with a little preparation (Easier with WX-78)

Make them renewables +1 on the overworld. It is unthinkable I have to spend 10 days searching for tumbleweeds only to get a couple of gears when I need to fill all my base with flingomatics. Yes I'm not the travelling type to go on the desert before summer and last time I checked it's one of the most valuabe resource for building a base and it's extremely rare.Everything but gears seems to be easily renewable.

Edit: I suggest a mini boss like bee queen somewhere where you can farm gears or clockwork knights.Or make suspicious marbles renewable.

I don't get what the problem is. I never have a problem finding lots of gears. You should have 6-10 gears from killing clockworks and digging graves, which is enough to get a base running. Unless you're playing on a public server with strangers in which case, it's sort of your choice of server you have to blame, but those servers don't usually get to summer so there's no need to build flingos.

And just so you know, tumbleweeds are ridiculous. You can usually get at least one gear per trip to the desert, but I've found as many as four in a short time from tumbleweeds. Plus you get lots of trinkets to give to pigking. You never need to mine for gold again when you start farming those.

22 minutes ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

I don't get what the problem is. I never have a problem finding lots of gears. You should have 6-10 gears from killing clockworks and digging graves, which is enough to get a base running. Unless you're playing on a public server with strangers in which case, it's sort of your choice of server you have to blame, but those servers don't usually get to summer so there's no need to build flingos.

And just so you know, tumbleweeds are ridiculous. You can usually get at least one gear per trip to the desert, but I've found as many as four in a short time from tumbleweeds. Plus you get lots of trinkets to give to pigking. You never need to mine for gold again when you start farming those.

You need to get from desert to pig king to give him trinkets and have a walking crane to explore a vast desert for tumbleweeds. Not in all cases is this efficient.

Of course once you get a mount things change.But still I don't find it enough.

2 minutes ago, StarvedKasad said:

You need to get from desert to pig king to give him trinkets and have a walking crane to explore a vast desert for tumbleweeds. Not in all cases is this efficient.

Of course once you get a mount things change.But still I don't find it enough.

Usually I make a base close to either pig king or the desert, so there is no extra travel time.

You don't need a walking cane at all. Just follow the edge of the map and pick any tumbleweed that is stuck and you'll get tons in no time. Of course having a walking cane is still helpful.

Not sure what you mean by mount. The only mount I can think of are beefalo, but I don't think you can pick things while riding.

3 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

Usually I make a base close to either pig king or the desert, so there is no extra travel time.

You don't need a walking cane at all. Just follow the edge of the map and pick any tumbleweed that is stuck and you'll get tons in no time. Of course having a walking cane is still helpful.

Not sure what you mean by mount. The only mount I can think of are beefalo, but I don't think you can pick things while riding.

Of course you can use beefalos to carry suspicious things.

You can also just go underground to the ruins.  There are tons of clockworks there.  All in all there are many methods of acquiring gears and it is definitely a risk to reward style situation.  They are rare and annoying to acquire easily, whereas if you're willing to risk more, you can definitely acquire a sizable amount.

This doesn't need to change.

I got to be with maxed stats as wx in a public server by commiting to tumbleweeds during most autumn and a big part of winter. That way nobody blamed me of hoarding their  gears and the map still had flingos and fridges. It can be done, its boring and tedious but if your goal is to get a lot of gears there are several ways to do so (as others mentioned as well). 

Archived