Don't Set Up Near A Pond - DST Edition

I have a perfect reason as to why you should never set up a camp right next to a pond:

So one time recently, I did exactly this but right next to also clockwork statues in a deciduous biome. It was all fine and dandy the first year: I killed a rook during the first full moon, set up a cozy little camp with just enough things for a player like me to survive. I had farms and could fish and get frogs if I really wanted to and it was dandy as hell...

Until actual Hell came upon little ol Blue

The second year rolls around and I see right next to this goddamn pond is a Goose/Goose spawner. That's right, my friends, a Goose/Goose spawner appears. Of course, I was hoping that I'd be a lucky loser and maybe she won't spawn next spring. But not paying attention, I decide to hang out in nearby caves to look for the ruins. It's ******* 8 days left of spring once I get back to camp and low-and-behold, Goose/Goose is here with her crowd of hellspawn. The absolute worst thing in spring besides the damn rain

I'm telling you, never set up a camp right next to a pond, it's awful. I've tried multiple times to kill Goose/Goose and have succeeded, but instead I get killed by something else immediately after. Don't worry, I don't really need any guides or nothin, just please heed my goddamn warning and never do this

3 hours ago, 50shades-of-blue said:

I have a perfect reason as to why you should never set up a camp right next to a pond:

So one time recently, I did exactly this but right next to also clockwork statues in a deciduous biome. It was all fine and dandy the first year: I killed a rook during the first full moon, set up a cozy little camp with just enough things for a player like me to survive. I had farms and could fish and get frogs if I really wanted to and it was dandy as hell...

The second year rolls around and I see right next to this goddamn pond is a Goose/Goose spawner. That's right, my friends, a Goose/Goose spawner appears. Of course, I was hoping that I'd be a lucky loser and maybe she won't spawn next spring. But not paying attention, I decide to hang out in nearby caves to look for the ruins. It's ******* 8 days left of spring once I get back to camp and low-and-behold, Goose/Goose is here with her crowd of hellspawn. The absolute worst thing in spring besides the damn rain

I'm telling you, never set up a camp right next to a pond, it's awful. I've tried multiple times to kill Goose/Goose and have succeeded, but instead I get killed by something else immediately after. Don't worry, I don't really need any guides or nothin, just please heed my goddamn warning and never do this

Aww dammit i didn't mean it to say Goose/Goose heck

ahhhhhh.gif

Oh, dear.  Yes, I totally agree--I'm the one in my own games who is always like "Don't put the spider nest there, they'll bug us every night!   Don't open the cave entrance really close by, we'll get bats bugging us every night!"  In other words, I like my bases in locations where potential annoyances/dangers (that are of course also resources if handled correctly, but mainly annoying) that occur every.  single.  day. (or night) are _optional_, not mandatory.  Right near a pond--frogs every morning--would be one of the latter.  I wish to go to the frogs.  I do not wish the frogs to constantly go to _me_.

...and THAT'S not even counting the fact that yes, the Spring Giant often does put her stupid egg there!  Normally on my server, I'm far enough away from ponds that when I _do_ come by there, I see the Endless Battle between frogs and moslings and just chuckle as I skirt past/grab loot.  Heck, one time she even laid her egg right by my beeboxes...my ANGRY beeboxes...'cos spring.  Then frog rain happened.  Basically the entire season was fighting _itself_ near my camp and whenever hounds showed up, I just directed them there.  It was awesome!

But like many things in this game, it's only awesome at the right DISTANCE.  So yeah, Blue, I totally agree with you on that one. 

Oh, and it's not just you--the forum has some stupid "clever" little bit of code that makes it so that _every single time_ you try to type the spring giant's name, it gets altered to show it as the same animal name twice!  I find this ungodly annoying 'cos _I_ want to call it the One Thing/Other Thing or the One Thing-Other Thing with a hyphen, but no matter what I try _it always comes out the same_.  Also, half the time if you try to call it just by just one word the first letter gets changed so you STILL ended up saying the other!  So I just call her "The Spring Giant" or "Our feathery antlered friend" for now, because at least that way what I typed _is_ what people actually see afterwards.  Sigh.

...Notorious

14 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

On the other hand, if you setup by a pond, with a small group of skilled players at combat, whether one of them are a Wolfgang or a Wigfrid, strong character in the group, it basically means turkey dinners for everyone! 

I guess Woodie does celebrate Thanksgiving too early.

I don't play as combat-oriented characters like ever (if you don't count Wendy), I mostly play as Wickerbottom, especially on single player servers. I mean, maybe if you were more prepared than I was (no food and a bucket of glommer goop) then it won't be as much of a problem

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Oh, dear.  Yes, I totally agree--I'm the one in my own games who is always like "Don't put the spider nest there, they'll bug us every night!   Don't open the cave entrance really close by, we'll get bats bugging us every night!"  In other words, I like my bases in locations where potential annoyances/dangers (that are of course also resources if handled correctly, but mainly annoying) that occur every.  single.  day. (or night) are _optional_, not mandatory.  Right near a pond--frogs every morning--would be one of the latter.  I wish to go to the frogs.  I do not wish the frogs to constantly go to _me_.

...and THAT'S not even counting the fact that yes, the Spring Giant often does put her stupid egg there!  Normally on my server, I'm far enough away from ponds that when I _do_ come by there, I see the Endless Battle between frogs and moslings and just chuckle as I skirt past/grab loot.  Heck, one time she even laid her egg right by my beeboxes...my ANGRY beeboxes...'cos spring.  Then frog rain happened.  Basically the entire season was fighting _itself_ near my camp and whenever hounds showed up, I just directed them there.  It was awesome!

But like many things in this game, it's only awesome at the right DISTANCE.  So yeah, Blue, I totally agree with you on that one. 

Oh, and it's not just you--the forum has some stupid "clever" little bit of code that makes it so that _every single time_ you try to type the spring giant's name, it gets altered to show it as the same animal name twice!  I find this ungodly annoying 'cos _I_ want to call it the One Thing/Other Thing or the One Thing-Other Thing with a hyphen, but no matter what I try _it always comes out the same_.  Also, half the time if you try to call it just by just one word the first letter gets changed so you STILL ended up saying the other!  So I just call her "The Spring Giant" or "Our feathery antlered friend" for now, because at least that way what I typed _is_ what people actually see afterwards.  Sigh.

...Notorious

Haha I mean I didn't set up right next to the pond where frogs would greet me every morning, it was near it. Of course, the frogs aren't as much of a problem as Our Feathered Lady

Before the spawner showed up, there were a few nests away but near the camp and they were never a problem because I never bothered them in the spring. But all hell broke loose when there finally was one right near. Also the beeboxes were close too

I have a feeling Klei lets the Goose/Goose thing be probably because they find it hilarious or they're just screwing with us

I think somebody did the Goose/Goose thing on purpose, actually.  : P  And yeah, I didn't think you actually meant AT the pond...it's hard to judge exactly how "near" is "near" in this game, sometimes.  (And I love "Our Feathered Lady". Heh.  It sounds like part of the name of a church or something, like "Our Feathered Lady of Infinite Sadness" or whatnot.)

Weirdly enough, on this one server, after a while I could just run straight past the moslings and they wouldn't react at all!  I mean, I had to physically shove one out of the way once, they were so unconcerned.  I have no idea what that is--I don't _think_ there's any code in the game so that after enough days of you never bothering them, they decide you're okay, but that's what it felt like.  I ran past them many times 'cos they were on the way to one of my favourite gathering spots and they're just like "Oh hey.  It's you.  Got any food for us no okay."

(laughs)

And it's not like I looked harmless or anything...I was playing as carnivorous Wigfrid even!  With the spear equipped!  Nope.  The Moslings were just like "Yeah whatever."

Probably a fluke, but I'd be interested to see if it happens again on a different server/happens to anyone else.  (shrug)

...Notorious

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I think somebody did the Goose/Goose thing on purpose, actually.  : P  And yeah, I didn't think you actually meant AT the pond...it's hard to judge exactly how "near" is "near" in this game, sometimes.  (And I love "Our Feathered Lady". Heh.  It sounds like part of the name of a church or something, like "Our Feathered Lady of Infinite Sadness" or whatnot.)

Weirdly enough, on this one server, after a while I could just run straight past the moslings and they wouldn't react at all!  I mean, I had to physically shove one out of the way once, they were so unconcerned.  I have no idea what that is--I don't _think_ there's any code in the game so that after enough days of you never bothering them, they decide you're okay, but that's what it felt like.  I ran past them many times 'cos they were on the way to one of my favourite gathering spots and they're just like "Oh hey.  It's you.  Got any food for us no okay."

(laughs)

And it's not like I looked harmless or anything...I was playing as carnivorous Wigfrid even!  With the spear equipped!  Nope.  The Moslings were just like "Yeah whatever."

Probably a fluke, but I'd be interested to see if it happens again on a different server/happens to anyone else.  (shrug)

...Notorious

Oh god, speak of the devil. I accidentally set up a little too close to a pond for my liking. The other dude I was playing with didn't really care, so now I'm crowing my fingers and hoping there won't be a spawner next spring

17 minutes ago, 50shades-of-blue said:

Oh god, speak of the devil. I accidentally set up a little too close to a pond for my liking. The other dude I was playing with didn't really care, so now I'm crowing my fingers and hoping there won't be a spawner next spring

If the nest is still there (looks like sticks on the ground); there is a very high probability that it will spawn again. All hail the MooseGoose!

4 hours ago, Kzisor said:

If the nest is still there (looks like sticks on the ground); there is a very high probability that it will spawn again. All hail the MooseGoose!

Nah, there wasn't a spawner near that pond, but the world was in shambles anyways, so Our Feathered Lady didn't spawn nor did I get a chance to see a spawner appear near the pond before I reset

I was playing multiplayer once. Winter was drawing to a close, our camp was in ruins due to Deerclops, and my sanity was extremely low due to said giants. Next day, spring starts, I go with someone playing Wigfrid to see if I could find any flowers to increase my sanity. Big surprise, Goose//Goose was fighting the frogs that had spawned from the 2 or 3 ponds in that area (We used them for stockpiling frog legs for winter.) I watched for a few minutes before I was forced to flee by nightmares, because my sanity had dropped from the lovely spring giant. Wonderful.

4 hours ago, Squirrelshine said:

I watched for a few minutes before I was forced to flee by nightmares, because my sanity had dropped from the lovely spring giant. Wonderful.

The Goose doesn't even have the power to lower your sanity. It must have been midday that lowered your sanity.

I feel you.

I once set up a base in the middle of a pond field (thankfully no Goose nest). It still was hell. We had to run away whenever daylight hit. And the lag.

Eventually we put hay walls around each pond, but spring came and bee vs frogs was very fun to watch until lightning. Our base didn't burn thankfully, but it was a setback to our grass field.

Oh, setting up near ponds is easy.

Just make sure there's no nest markings. So, if you miss that, not easy.. I've had that a few times. We all do it.

First time I called dibs on this sweet island part of the map- me and my old group of friends used to just play as if it were single player with more people unless we really needed help-, it had two branches connecting it to the mainland and was about the size of a base that you'd expect. It was a dream come true. 

.....Until I saw that the pond had markings next to it. So instead, I camped on the two branches connecting it and just tried to ignore the Goose whenever it was there because it was just far enough away not to aggro. Dreams crushed...

Currently in one of the dedicated server's I'm on our base is a huge peninsula kinda cut off by a small lake. It also has a pond right almost in the middle. Thankfully, no nest markings. And with fences and a gate, frogs are never a problem, and we get all the fish we want! Dream mostly come true.

On 12/29/2016 at 5:12 AM, 50shades-of-blue said:

By the way I do have a base near 2 ponds,I walled the ponds ,placed some meatbulbs next to them with wooden flooring for eye plant protection. The next thing I know a Goose Goose spawns,but next to that is a death trap of about 60+ tooth traps. The Goose Goose stood no chance.

But I killed it with ham bat so...

I hate, well, LIKE a tiny bit that giants now have 2x HP.

So yeah, I'm next to the pond on like.. Day 40 something? Not sure.

And of course I also see frogs AND Our Feathered Friend. There was also two tier 3 dens along with Beefalo in heat aswell.

Chaos ended quite quickly.

Maybe you can base near ponds but not TOO close? Or if you do, circle it with tooth traps/rabbit traps?

I know you didn't ask for suggestions..

BUT KNOWING THE PERSON I AM, I SHAN'T RESIST.

Never set up a base near the pond for the frogs alone to be honest.

Places to never set up bases!!!

- Pig Village: Werepigs are horrible during the full moon.  It's best just to be close, but not too close if you catch my drift.  My brother and I made this mistake, and we constantly had to repair our stone walls because those fuckers kept breaking it down.

- Swamp: Merms, tentacles, and mosquitoes.  You really don't want to deal with them everyday...  Plus, the swamp area is just plain ugly.  A great base you build will just look horrible in that area.  

- Walrus Camp: They are horrible during the winter.  Plus, the blow darts deal a lot of damage, which will kill you fairly quickly.

- Tallbird nest: They are annoying year round.  The only thing I can say about them is that they aren't as annoying as the Merms.

On 12/30/2016 at 7:18 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

Yes!

I'm very selective about where I choose to set up my base.  My brother on the other hand isn't quite as picky, but even HE wouldn't set it up near a pond or cave entrance anymore; he learned not to set it up near a cave entrance when he had to fight bats every night.

Oh god, yes, the cave entrances.  I learned about this from a Let's Play in which the dude had to fight bats _every single night_ and even he was getting annoyed by it and I was like, "Nope!  Big fat cup of nope."  And in Together, you have to be careful not to put it even near a _closed_ one, 'cos SOME IDIOT will always come along and mine _that_ one open...

("But, Captain!  Free meat every night!"  Free FIGHT every night.  No thank you.)

And speaking of being careful...or not...I set up my latest camp in this cute, idyllic looking little location.  It's in sort of an enclave of meadow in between two savannahs, both teeming with rabbits.  A freakin' awesome huge and weirdly _safe_ rockland is to the southeast, along a road I've been planting trees by to show where it is even in winter (the road, that is).  Up northeast, not too far, are beefalo.  Great location, right?

ExCEPT, I'm fairly closeish to a pond.  Not so close that the frogs bug me all the time...but I only noticed _after_ I started building stuff that the pond also had those broken-grass marks near it, MEANING, it's going to be a Spring Giant nest.  Now, the frogs might not bug me, but giants have a bit more of a range...

Well, in that case--it's actually kind of a GOOD thing that my weird randomised seasons ended up with absolutely no spring!  : P  Camped in the wrong place--saved, ironically, by going straight from one harsh season to the other.  Heh.

(Now I "only" have to deal with the fact that IT WENT STRAIGHT FROM WINTER TO SUMMER AND I'M NOT READY, AAA!)

...Notorious

Archived