Marsh Giant : Rotfly

1 hour ago, ezjm said:

Actually, you haven't stated anything thoroughly, you just keep saying disease isn't meant to be countered

Actually, I have.  I explained that disease has a specific mechanical purpose in the game.  Said mechanic achieves the goal of forcing players out of their bases as their conveniently planted resources die off and need to be replaced.  As a coupled effect, it reduces the overall amount of said transplantable (convenient) resources that exist overall.  As such, disease should not have a counter or the point of the mechanic is lost.

You could argue that people would have to go out to fight this boss to acquire the cure.  However, would said cure be permanent, and stop a crop from acquiring disease in the future?  If so, it allows the player to negate the purpose of the mechanic over a period of time and eventually lead to a stable base (which is what they were shaking up by introducing said mechanic).

If disease does not stop and it is a constant battle to keep your resources alive, you fall into the issues I explained before.  If your item is too effective at curing disease regularly, it will still nullify the purpose of  the mechanic.  If it is not effective enough, it won't be used at all in favor of the existing options (tumbleweeds and monster meat for example).

This is the very explanation you're asking me for as to why cures for disease are poor suggestions on their own.  Perhaps if the disease mechanic itself was changed, I could see merit in offering cures.  However, in its current incarnation, cures would be inappropriate.

1 hour ago, ezjm said:

I've already explained it only has minor similarities with Bearger and you keep repeating this over and over

Because the overlap is something that actually bothers me with the design and I was asked specifically to state my viewpoint on the creature itself?  Giving feedback on suggested ideas is kind of what this forum is for.

1 hour ago, ezjm said:

Here's where YOU got offended that someone didn't accept your empty criticism blindly. Funny how you feel the need to repeat what you already said to new people posting to anyone who isn't agreeing with you

Actually, I was not offended.  I merely stated that they had insinuated something that I had never actually stated.

As for repeating myself, it happens.  Especially when I'm responding to someone who seemingly ignores the explanations I've already stated and continues to ask me for an explanation.  Given such a situation, it isn't all that surprising.

1 hour ago, ezjm said:

Yet you keep repeating the same 2-3 reasons you think it wouldn't work over and over, even when we have arguments against it.

Except you haven't given an argument that refutes my claim.  The best I've seen from your argument is that you don't like disease being enforced and as such wish for a counter.  While that is a legitimate viewpoint to have, it doesn't make it something that should be implemented in the official game.  Perhaps a mod would be a better solution.

In my mind, the game is a roguelike survival game.  If you can essentially build up a base with little challenge and essentially be perpetually stable, it kind of goes against the whole concept of the game.  Personally speaking, I'd prefer to see harsher disease mechanics.

1 hour ago, ezjm said:

A mechanic being counterable does not make it pointless, quit repeating this over and over

Actually, it can.  If a mechanic can be countered in such a way that the mechanic no longer serves it's purpose...it does indeed become pointless.  To give an example, Summer fires can be countered in the game with fling-o-matics.  However, this still serves the purpose of restricting bases.  As such, the mechanic being countered does not have it's purpose removed.

However, disease being counterable ends up completely voiding it's purpose.  How would convenient resources be reduced over time, if you can just cure the plants and avoid the mechanic?  Essentially the purpose of the mechanic is lost the moment it can be cured.

So yes, allowing a mechanic to be cured can indeed make it pointless.  It really depends on the mechanic and it's context.

1 hour ago, ezjm said:

The funny thing is, none of these are taken out of context, because most of your posts don't have content, you just repeat the same things over and over usually with no explanation

I believe I've explained my viewpoint quite well.  I'm sorry if you feel I haven't.

9 hours ago, Cryogen said:

@EcuNote: @Arlesienne, you're scaring me with you're nearly yandere intentions by liking @Ecu's post on this thread. Getting up that weird feeling by looking at that tiny detail. (You don't need to reply and attack me @Arlesienne with your statements, I'm just noticing and please keep that to yourself. Thanks in my heart's desires.)

I beg your pardon, but, primo, I am really bad at anime references, so you lost me there, secundo, it's not my fault he offers feedback I happen to agree with (too many people on my servers would utterly ruin the experience by digging up all resources and replanting them into their base, I don't believe the transients are ready to battle something that global with the clear intention of changing their ways of behaviour) and, tertio, I am above attacking anyone. If I wasn't, do you think I would get that rank and sort of respect?

Archived