Neopets: Hands up, who played this

Mobbstar

Totally not going to use this data for marketing purposes  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you checked out Neopets before? (That is, actively looking it up or visiting the website via a link)

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Have you played Neopets before?

• Yes, I am still playing it.
    • Yes, but I stopped playing.
    • No, I never played it.
  3. 3. Did this thread just make you start/resume playing Neopets?

• Yes. Curse you!
    • No. I am resistant to bias.

@minespatch keeps bringing it up and I wonder just how many people actually play(ed) it.

The poll is anonymous, but you can post here to publicly announce your exact stance.

Personally, I played it with a friend for some time, but it was kind of boring imo and lost track of it what feels like ages ago.

The site was originally made for college students but when bought by Nickelodeon subsidiary, the focus on kids was pushed more. I love the wide amount of genres on the site(really love haunted woods, and meridell). The site is great when they have their lore-bombs/events and the args on the site. It's basically like what Klei does for their games.

You can tell when the site wasn't run by viacom with certain past events like the Murder Mystery at the lodge in Terror Mountain and the first war in Meridell with Darigan's corruption.

7 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

A question to pass the semester...

What are Neopets?

#FeelsAwkwardMilord

6 hours ago, TitanCat said:

I heard it's kinda like a free flash games site like armorgames, or gamejolt

Never gone there myself

It's a virtual pet adoption site with a advanced lore. Game has been around for a decade or so. Unlike Flight Rising, which feels limiing, the site has its own mythology, website building tutorials, bank and stock education, and etc. It's where I learned html and how stocks worked. Kind of a revolutionary site to my surprise.

The steampunk stuff is kind of recent but I love the aesthetic Haunted Woods has. Some kind of victorian goth element and the Halloween events from time to time coming from there is just great. Also love the Dr. Frank Sloth arc where he tried to use the ancient ruins of the Egypt-inspired location to try world domination but a gambling bruce/penguin stopped him.

51 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The steampunk stuff is kind of recent but I love the aesthetic Haunted Woods has. Some kind of victorian goth element and the Halloween events from time to time coming from there is just great. Also love the Dr. Frank Sloth arc where he tried to use the ancient ruins of the Egypt-inspired location to try world domination but a gambling bruce/penguin stopped him.

You already got me at steampunk, Imma go give it a try

I have vague memories of playing Neopets for a bit in my younger days. I've got no clue about this lore and stock marketing ya'll are talking about. All I remember it about it was you get a pet (or pets) and play mini games to earn money to feed it. Oh, and there was this one area that was a really shady carnival where all the games were rigged.

Last thing I heard about Neopets was that it was pretty much abandoned; went downhill and failed to update with the times after some Scientology guy bought it out.

7 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

Last thing I heard about Neopets was that it was pretty much abandoned; went downhill and failed to update with the times after some Scientology guy bought it out.

Viacom's also a shady company. Especially if you've seen the videos that talk about the downhill of Nickelodian.

49 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

I have vague memories of playing Neopets for a bit in my younger days. I've got no clue about this lore and stock marketing ya'll are talking about. All I remember it about it was you get a pet (or pets) and play mini games to earn money to feed it. Oh, and there was this one area that was a really shady carnival where all the games were rigged.

Dude, I just started playing, and you gave me a reason not to

But to be honest, I did player a little, And my summary is that Neopets sucks, Most of the programmer didn't even took their time developing the games and they even have a microtransaction.

I'm sorry but did not enjoy playing neopets

Geez,  it's been a long time since I've heard the name even. My brother had times he was really into it, hell he even got a whatIthinkiscalled a Jubjub plushie. I never saw the lore behind it, thought I did know about the stocks thingy.

I remember some of the minigames that earned you money. 'T Was about a thing that has to dodge ice cream. We'd enter a cheatcode to get an extra heart, which we would lose incredibly soon after.

If my memory serves me, which it rarely does, I think there were 3 "tiers" of pets. Your pet, which was the Neopet. Then there were the Petpets, which were like the pets of your pets. And lastly, there were fleas.

I remember there being a lot of different locations to drop by. From deserts to spaceships, I believe even the moon.

Hm.. maybe I should visit sometime. For nostalgia's sake.

• Developer
9 hours ago, TitanCat said:

But to be honest, I did player a little, And my summary is that Neopets sucks, Most of the programmer didn't even took their time developing the games and they even have a microtransaction.

I don't get the programmer part, what part of the code gave you problems? Also, a game doesn't automatically suck for having micro transaction. You can choose whether to use your money or not and the things you get with "neocash" are purely cosmetical. Plus, there are many different ways to get neocash for free in the game.

Archived