Island Adventures: A Shipwrecked Port

Hello one and all,

We would like to officially announce Islands Adventures, a Shipwrecked port for Don't Starve Together. Over the past couple of months we have been working on a port for Shipwrecked in Don't Starve Together. When we got world generation working similar to how Shipwrecked worked, we asked @Fidooop to post some teasers on the forums, you can find that thread here. As the mod progressed we added additional teasers, trying to keep everyone up to date on the happenings behind the scenes. Now that we've progressed this far, on Wednesday Dec. 21, 2016; we made the post about giving information about alpha testing for the mod; that is if the research we were completing worked.

After two (2) grueling days of labor, we've finally finished the research and I present to you the final result of that research.

18e1f9afebf2ce3b6aea2a3d2c056375.gif2240d2c254c8f3121dad0066ec2f98a8.gif

8dccbd37d79141f68968c2cc5aed5e64.png9032d99f47eb480ca338f2dbe1628e46.png

You can no longer walk on water and you can no longer sail on land. We've added sand to the out skirts of islands along with a thin line of shallow water, before moving into deeper water. We are still experimenting with this layout.

We still have several bugs to work out, the major one is being controller support. Currently there is no valid way to Disembark while using a controller. We plan to fix this in the coming days, however, this will take some time to get configured properly as it will be using a completely different method than the mouse.

Alpha Testing Information

We are women and men of our word and we present to you the eager play testers with some information about alpha testing.

1. The first round of alpha testing will be limited strictly to a server we host. While many modders are eager to get their mod out there; we decided that we would be able to have more control over the feedback and bugs if we were able to see the logs directly without relying on 3rd party methods (e.g. forums, steam, etc.). There will be a six (6) person limit on the amount of players on the server; we will be using the console to communicate via  announcements rather than being in the game itself. This is to allow all six (6) spots to be used by play testers.
  2. There will only be a single boat; it will be located in the Nautical tab costing a measly 5 sanity.
  3. There will be no caves added to the server, for testing purposes.
  4. We do not have a concrete amount of water biomes which will be in the first round of alpha testing. We're planning to add more water prefabs and biomes soon to allow our coders to take a break from world generation and boat building.
  5. The mod will be broken into several separate mods. This is mainly due to us setting up a framework mod and several API mods for easier use of certain things in the game.
  6. World Generation code will not be made public during the first round of alpha testing. This is non-negotiable. It's very much still a work in progress and we would hate for someone to take the code and start spamming the workshop with mods when the code is not even finished. We still have many more world generation related items to add and if the code gets out we'll be unable to add them without conflicts of interests with other mods.

We do not currently have an estimated date for alpha testing. Once we do have a confirmed date,it will be a weekend [Friday-Sunday], we will be sure to give everyone a two (2) week notice to prepare.

If you have any questions pertaining to the mod, please post in this topic. All future communication based on this mod will be made here, so we are in one consistent location.

Team List:

@Kzisor - Project Manager, Senior Programmer
@halfrose - Senior Animator
@Arlesienne, @ImDaMisterL - Senior Writer

@SrJardel - Senior Portuguese Translator

Special Thanks:

We would like to thank @Fidooop for posting the original thread, to Klei Entertainment ( @JoeW, @JanH, @V2C, @Ipsquiggle, @PeterA, @ScottHansen, @Bigfoot, and all the other kind developers, artists and sound engineers) and to  Capybara Games ( @CapyChristian, @CapyDan, @CapyDrew, @FooBargle and all the other kind developers, artists and sound engineers) for creating Shipwrecked in the first place, without you all we would not have been able to create this port!

Regards,

Kzisor/Ysovuka

Edited by Kzisor
Fixed title.

2 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Wait, will Wickerbottom have her meteor book, and are the SW characters in yet? @__@

The only items which will be available will be Boats and Water content. Shipwrecked characters will be ported after a large number of other content has been ported simply because we have a large number of characters already.

Wickerbottom will not have her meteor book during alpha testing. We will do extensive internal testing in order to ensure this book is not too powerful for the current game for both Cooperative and Player versus Player game styles.

Congratulations, this is awesome.

I am really looking forward on it, but I am also excited about the framework/API stuff, and even more about the anim compiler. Whenever you decide to make it public, I really hope Klei aproves it, because, speaking about final results, the current official tools available don't seem to be that friendly.

I wish you and all the crew good luck, and thanks for releasing one more jewel.

16 hours ago, SuperDavid said:

This a incredible that you guys are making SW for DST before Klei does!! I wish you greatest of luck in your endeavors :D!!

Minecraft devs eventually use help from modders in order to add their stuff to the vanilla game(DrZharks in the 1.6 update, for example). It would be sweet if Klei acknowledged the work put in this mod and actually called for help or a base from Kzisor to do the real thing, since they are busy with other stuff(That if they haven't seen this yet, which I doubt)

Edited by spiderdian

5 minutes ago, makar5000 said:

Is it compatible with PvP? Are you goung to make volcano?

How would it not be compatible with PvP? Is PvP significantly different than normal game play? I'm confused about this question.

The volcano is still up for debate. I've never actually played in the volcano so I am not aware of it's specific needs or requirements. If we do decide to port it, it will be farther down the road.

2 minutes ago, Kzisor said:

How would it not be compatible with PvP? Is PvP significantly different than normal game play? I'm confused about this question.

The volcano is still up for debate. I've never actually played in the volcano so I am not aware of it's specific needs or requirements. If we do decide to port it, it will be farther down the road.

A long time ago in workshop there was woodie mod. In PvP he was in godmode. Maybe while you in the ship, you cant attach other players?

Edited by makar5000
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kzisor said:

Volcano is kinda like a really small, round version of caves. With a hot red "sea" in the middle that heats you up if you go too close to it. Running a second server just for it sounds like a waste to me, tbh.

Amazing job. I'll be looking forward to make some new modded boats latern on. And maybe Oil Patches on the sea that you could build Oil Rigs on (just like in Warcraft II).

I wanted to mod Shipwrecked, but honestly, doing anything special for singleplayer seems to me like a waste, playing with friends is where it's at ;P

Edited by PanAzej
scrambled words

1 hour ago, makar5000 said:

I mean that was bug :p

1 hour ago, Aquaterion said:

so you're asking if there are going to be bugs... what kind of empty question is that

@makar5000, I am a little confused as to what you're talking about. We're striving not to have any bugs within the mod, however, when using a mod you have to realize that bugs may exist. We will do our diligence to squash any bug that arises, but ultimately it's up to the end user to help us find the bugs and give feedback when something is encountered that may potentially be a bug.

1 hour ago, PanAzej said:

Volcano is kinda like a really small, round version of caves. With a hot red "sea" in the middle that heats you up if you go too close to it. Running a second server just for it sounds like a waste to me, tbh.

Amazing job. I'll be looking forward to make some new modded boats latern on. And maybe Oil Patches on the sea that you could build Oil Rigs on (just like in Warcraft II).

I wanted to mod Shipwrecked, but honestly, doing anything special for singleplayer seems to me like a waste, playing with friends is where it's at ;P

Thank you for the information, we will look into it further.

Everyone,

At this time we're going to focus on porting the over world content so we can have a solid foundation on which to build the other content Shipwreck offers.

2 minutes ago, Silvercide said:

This looks like it is coming together well!

But what if somebody takes all the resources on an island and somebody spawns there?

You will only be able to spawn on the main land which will have enough of the resources needed to travel to another island.

Edited by Kzisor
Typo.