[HowTo] Run a Dedicated Server from your PC - without SteamCMD or the Dedicated Server Tool

I followed the steps word-for-word but when I run the .bat file it says it cannot find nullrender.exe

I am trying to get a beta server up and running at all times even when I'm not playing but klei can't figure out how to write a guide that actually works.

34 minutes ago, Chillaxin said:

Is there a way to allow more than 6 players with this method?? If so, how?

Type

TUNING.MAX_SERVER_SIZE = 64

in the console before entering the Host Game menu, or use this mod.

26 minutes ago, Chillaxin said:

when I run the .bat file it says it cannot find nullrender.exe

Is your batch file located in the bin folder of your DST installation? If so, are you running it via a shortcut? And if so, have you changed the "Start in" path?

I put the .bat file in the place of the directions ' (in Steam, right-click Don't Starve Together -> Properties -> Local Files tab -> Browse Local Files) '

It's the default location from a fresh install -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin

I didn't run a shortcut. I'm running the .bat as administrator directly. 

The error message means either the file is not there or you're trying to call the wrong file. Check if there's a file named dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe in the bin folder. If there isn't, verify the integrity of your game cache. If the file is there, or if you still receive the same error message, please post the contents of your batch file (open it with a text editor, press Ctrl-A to select all, then copy it and paste it here, or upload the file somewhere) to check if everything's OK.

Yes, the dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrender.exe is in the bin folder.

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe -only_update_server_mods
start "My DST Server Master" dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe -skip_update_server_mods -console -cluster Cluster_5 -shard Master
start "My DST Server Caves"  dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe -skip_update_server_mods -console -cluster Cluster_5 -shard Caves

That's when you run the file as admin, right? There's an issue with admin privileges, it's started in C:\Windows\System32 instead of the current folder. Add a new line at the top of your RunDSTServer.bat with this text (I've added it to the guide to avoid this issue):

cd /D "%~dp0"

Now everytime running the .bat it says expired cluster token.

Yes, i know how to make a cluster token. I copy and pasted the text into a .txt document. I then copy and pasted that document into every folder in the klei folder "donotstarvetogether" "DoNotStarveTogetherANewReignBeta" and "mydediserver" but despite having a copy of the token everywhere the system always says expired cluster token.

Thank again! I've been using the server for a while now with lots of fun.

I do have a question -- Is there a way to disable "Vote Server Regeneration" ? People like to greif players by constantly spamming votes or even more terrible - actually winning the vote. The game doesn't even tell people who is initiating the horrible voting process.

@Chillaxin, no problem!

Open your cluster.ini file (should be in (My) Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherANewReignBeta\Cluster_5), add this line:

vote_enabled = false

under [GAMEPLAY]. According to this thread, there's also this option:

enable_vote_kick = false

under [NETWORK] to disable vote kicking. I haven't tried either, so I can't say for sure whether they work or not. If your file doesn't have a [GAMEPLAY] or [NETWORK] section, simply add it at the end of the file.

Hi @Houaiss! Open the file with Notepad, go to File -> Save As... In the Save as type dropdown menu select All Files  (*.*), then type in RunDSTServer.bat as the file name and save. Make sure you save it in the bin folder of your DST installation - if you're having trouble saving it there because of permissions, you can always save it to your desktop and then move/copy over the file.

And welcome to the forums!

7 hours ago, alainmcd said:

Hi @Houaiss! Open the file with Notepad, go to File -> Save As... In the Save as type dropdown menu select All Files  (*.*), then type in RunDSTServer.bat as the file name and save. Make sure you save it in the bin folder of your DST installation - if you're having trouble saving it there because of permissions, you can always save it to your desktop and then move/copy over the file.

And welcome to the forums!

I got it later after I posted. Already runing the dedicated server all worked right! Thank you anyway! And thanks for the welcome in too!

Archived