PS4 Can No longer Play! Crash City!

Klei... Don't Starve Together is one of the best games I have ever played..... I have played on PC since the Together version of the game has come out, and although the community on PC is fantastic I decided to switch to PS4 to enjoy the game with close friends.  

Since I have played on PS4 ... let me tell you there are many bugs I should have posted a while ago but I thought for sure they woud've been fixed by now but they haven't been.

I am no longer able to play Don't Starve Together on the PS4 because I can't even load in the game. It's only day 500 and every single time I come up from the caves the server crashes for me.  As well as any other player who enters the cave (Anyone can enter but if they come up they disconnect).  When people come up from the caves they crash including the host (around a 10% chance for host and 95% crash chance for other players).  The connection is fine.. speed tests run 70mbps.. it doesn't matter what the connection is as I have tested it on a variety of systems and speed tests it is the console game itself.  On patch 1.09 I definitely hoped these crashes would be fixed... Patch 1.09 added christmas and content from the Reign Beta which made these disconnects even worse.  It seems that the more items that are around any cave entrance when a player comes up the worse it gets.  Since Patch 1.09 i am no longer able to play the game because when i spawn in on the world I immediately disconnect as I am currently in the process coming up from the caves (100% disconnect chance).  Adding more items onto console is fantastic and I have waited for the content to come forth on console but new content is no good if I cannot even play the game.  I shut off my PS4.. I closed the app, I had the host close the app, host shut off the PS4 reconnect to Wifi... etc.. etc.. etc.. but I can no longer play.  After spending so much time in the world and having such a blast all my work has gone for nothing if this problem cannot be resolved.... 

This problem is just one of the many that occurs...  The combat system forces attacks on enemies that have the most recent attack on you preventing you from finishing off mobs and the lagg that occurs when a vast amount of items in any certain area are laying on the ground or where structures are built.  Also.. coming up from the caves just normally even without a disconnect is a disaster as the bats almost killed me because i am still in the loading screen but as on another players screen it says i'm up from the caves but I have no control.  The hound traps are very difficult to reset... the lazy forager is force used before having the option to reset the traps which is inconvenient and as well you cannot cook food on crockpots with the lazy forager equipped. Catching butterflies and picking flowers are also inconvient with the button layouts because instead of catching a butterfly to plant a flower i'm picking up the flowers and in the end i'm just wasting resources...The lagg is a real problem on console and I have proof that it is not my connection but a reasonable guess that is is simply the amount of items that are trying to be loaded so quickly that causes the lagg's and the disconnects.  

As of Patch 1.09 I am no longer able to play on the server that I started with friends and unfortunately I am very upset that instead of fixing these problems they added more content to make it even worse! :-(!!!  I hope you can fix some of these problems.

• Developer

Sorry about that! Rushing to get ANR out before Sony's Christmas shutdown meant a bug with writable signs slipped through (sounds like that's the one you've got). We have a fix which we hope to have to you soon, but in the mean time you can play a new world and not build writable signs and you should be fine. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience!

1 hour ago, nome said:

Sorry about that! Rushing to get ANR out before Sony's Christmas shutdown meant a bug with writable signs slipped through (sounds like that's the one you've got). We have a fix which we hope to have to you soon, but in the mean time you can play a new world and not build writable signs and you should be fine. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience!

It is not the writable signs bug, The problem has been occurring ever since we started to place lots of objects near the cave entrances.  When a player comes up from the caves even out of patch 1.09 the disconnection still occurs.

• Developer

Hi @Herbalist

If it's not the writeable signs bug then I'm really going to need to get ahold of the host's server save file and take a look to see what's going wrong.

Have them follow these steps and attach the save file to this thread.

• Plug a USB drive into the PS4 (Fat32 or exFat only, NTFS does not work)
  • Go to Settings -> Application Saved Data Management -> Saved Data in System Storage -> Copy to USB Storage Device -> Don't Starve Together -> Select All -> Copy
  • After that finishes, unplug the USB drive from the PS4 and plug it onto your PC
  • Find the "PS4" directory and zip it up with all subdirectories (Windows: Right Click > Send To > Compressed Folder. Mac: Righ-click or Ctrl-Click > Compress "PS4")

5 hours ago, CharlesB said:

Hi @Herbalist

If it's not the writeable signs bug then I'm really going to need to get ahold of the host's server save file and take a look to see what's going wrong.

Have them follow these steps and attach the save file to this thread.

• Plug a USB drive into the PS4 (Fat32 or exFat only, NTFS does not work)
  • Go to Settings -> Application Saved Data Management -> Saved Data in System Storage -> Copy to USB Storage Device -> Don't Starve Together -> Select All -> Copy
  • After that finishes, unplug the USB drive from the PS4 and plug it onto your PC
  • Find the "PS4" directory and zip it up with all subdirectories (Windows: Right Click > Send To > Compressed Folder. Mac: Righ-click or Ctrl-Click > Compress "PS4")

Thank you for these steps... Took a while with a lot of problems converting to FAT and something went wrong compressing SAVE FILE but I figured it out in the end :):) hope you can find the problem and let me know what's wrong. unfortunately the file size is 64mb... taking a while to upload.(1 1/2 hours later lol)

wow it finished! :D 

PS4.zip

• Developer

Hi @Herbalist

I've loaded up your game several times but unfortunately haven't had any problems travelling to and from the caves with any of my kits. You have a really impressive base in there. I'm a bit confused by the day count, as the save you posted is only on day 454, and you initially said you were at day 500. None of the saves seem to be opened up either, which is strange. Are you sure the version you sent to me was the latest, that it was showing the problematic behaviour?

In answer to your question, having objects near the cave shouldn't really affect whether you can travel between caves and surface, though having so many things arranged so densely in your base it causing a bit of slowdown at times.

Well, thanks for looking, I'm back to PC now as the ps4 that has the world is in my friends parents possession. So i can no longer play on the world anyhow :( i do appreciate the time you took to try and solve the issue, I am having fun playing DST back on Pc.  I don't know if it was the latest version but i really wish i could share a video clip of what was happening when exiting the caves but oh well :( maybe one day if i get the server back.  Thanks Charles 

Archived