Wigfrid is considered OP? Why..!?

(snerk)  I just felt like writing it that way, I don't know why.  I like Wolfgang, I do, but I stopped playing as him a while back in singleplayer when he stopped to tell me he was hungry _and got chomped by a hound_.  At that moment I realised just HOW annoyed I was by that and...I'm sorry, but I don't like having my flow interrupted out of nowhere all the time.  It sometimes even makes me jump! if I'm really concentrating.

Wigfrid has her problems too, I'll admit that freely. They're just problems that happen to bug me with my playstyle less.  Wanna know who (as I unlocked each character in singleplayer and played a run with each, in order) was the first one I actually _starved_ to death with?  Wolfgang. Wanna know who was the second?  Wigfrid.

The inability to just eat whatever on the run can kinda slow you down.  Wolfgang, although he has a higher hunger drain, CAN fill up on random berries, carrots and seeds.  Wigfrid pretty much _has_ to find a gold piece so she can make a science machine so she can make a crockpot...SOON...'cos those four pieces of meat don't fill you up all that much and don't last that long.  I can remember desperate nights during a spring start where I was stabbing every moleworm I saw near my nighttime campfire to stave off death just a little bit longer.  (I didn't know that rabbit holes closed up and it took me a bit to work out alternate reliable sources of meat--and your first gold piece sometimes takes a while to find.)

Once you DO have a crockpot she's a lot easier to manage, but even then you (or at least, I) kinda have to remember to bring along at least 3 or 4 cooked dishes if you're going to be away for a while (and I do a lot of exploring/gathering, so, yeah).  Just a chunk of meat by itself isn't that filling. You _can_ live on monster meat, but...not happily.  

And sanity/health:  DRYING.  RACKS.  They've always been one of my best friends in this game for a reason.

So:  Wolfgang CAN be super-strong, if you can get him full enough and keep him that way.  When he's hungry he's _weaker_ than average.  Wigfrid doesn't have as high of a damage multiplier as Hulk Wolfgang but she does have her _lesser_ one all the time, even when dying of starvation (as on that one night when I took out a treeguard because WHY NOT I'M DYING ANYWAY). But, Wolfgang can eat anything, and fill up to full on stuff he happens to find around.  Wigfrid needs more preperation.

They're both good in their own ways and have their own problems.  I know this makes me sound like a hippie but, really:  Play as whoever suits _you_ best (of ALL the characters, not just these two!) and tell people who make fun of you for your choice to stuff it.  :)

...Notorious

1 minute ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

LOL why is that? Is it because Webber is a contender against Wendy or..?

Anyways, we're getting a bit sidetracked, Trenix argues that the forums when suggesting character changes are redundant because of how most of the changes done results in the community whining and begging for a different change, although in a certain sense it might be true it hasn't been true all the time right? I mean Warly from DS:SW in his early days was over-powered because he could eat his food without delay, and then the developers added a 1.75 food variety nerf, in which he has to wait 1.75 days to eat the same meal again with benefits. In contrast to what Trenix said, the food variety was suggested by a member of the community. What was the name of the member? mitboy? If you dig deep enough you find that the developers truly care about the community, please don't say that Trenix.

Anyone wondering about this forum, here's the link .

It offends be cuz I'm a Wigfrid main.

And I think all the characters were already good in DS. Don't see why they nerfed them. Especially Willow. Why exactly was her fire resistance removed? For PvP? We already have panflutes and STS, thank you very much. To prevent griefing? I don't see how can anyone be dumb enough to stand in the middle of a fire :I. And Woodie. His Werebeaver form was nerfed so that it shares health with his normal form. It also lost it's defense, which was a main perk for Woodie. I can't say anything more since I myself am not a Woodie main.

They even removed Wolfgang's invincibility animation frames when changing forms...

I guess some changes are expected when going from DS to DST, but it must be for the best.

We can only suggest and give feedback to the developers towards the game we love and share, specially play.

i thought u were a WX-78 main

8 minutes ago, Electroely said:

And I think all the characters were already good in DS. Don't see why they nerfed them. Especially Willow. Why exactly was her fire resistance removed? For PvP? We already have panflutes and STS, thank you very much. To prevent griefing? I don't see how can anyone be dumb enough to stand in the middle of a fire :I. And Woodie. His Werebeaver form was nerfed so that it shares health with his normal form. It also lost it's defense, which was a main perk for Woodie. I can't say anything more since I myself am not a Woodie main.

PREACH IT!

And I myself as a secondary Wigfrid main (my best run is, in fact, with her--good ol' Camp One-Foot-In-The-Grave*) and Willow main-main, don't really want Wigfrid nerfed.  She's _fun_ to play as she is now.  If you want an uber-hardcore version of Don't Starve, you can play as Wes, or...there's always mods.  Not every change has to be woven right into the actual game itself, for you to still enjoy it.

I mean, I absolutely _hate_ what they did to Willow but we're not getting Her Fieryness's groove back anytime soon, so what did I do?  I downloaded a mod!  Which now means that my server won't show up on searches for unmodded servers only but we can't have everything.

(I also agree on the Woodie nerf--I don't play him all that often but I do remember him being _way_ more fun in singleplayer.)

ANYway.  I've gone off topic, sorry, sorry.  Pay me no mind.

...Notorious

*Named such because it was about two screens away from the big graveyard setpiece.  Heh.

5 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

i thought u were a WX-78 main

WX-78 is my second main. I prefer Wigfrid though cuz she's more useful to a team and I prefer combat early-game than (ugh) gathering.

3 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And I myself as a secondary Wigfrid main (my best run is, in fact, with her--good ol' Camp One-Foot-In-The-Grave*) and Willow main-main, don't really want Wigfrid nerfed.  She's _fun_ to play as she is now.

Add me on steam. I wanna play with you a game or two since none of my friends are Wigfrid mains. feelsbadman

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

That picture offends me.

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

And here I thought it was Wendy's absurd cleavage while not wearing her eponymous Shadow Jumpsuit. Great expectations and so on.

Okay.. I think we all know the real answer but too embarreassed admit it

It's because Wifgrid's a chick right,

There is this thing called gender roles and stereotypes where the men go outside and the women stay inside

But in this case there is a strong female character, so her character would somehow appear empowered by default

It's very logical that Wolfgang is physically the strongest of all character, while other character need to use their speciality to even their chance of survival

But Wifgrid in the other hand is more likelier to be Favorited because she's a freaking woman, and chicks don't usually wear armor and wield spear. And ya'll gotta feel empowered when playing as a strong female character even if you're a dude

It is basically like meeting that orc librarian in Winterhold. You will just automatically assume that he is some kind of genius when he's specialty is that he is an orc who can read and cast magic spells. while the other orc lives in a straw hut and kill each other for "sport"

11 minutes ago, TitanCat said:

There is this thing called gender roles and stereotypes where the men go outside and the women stay inside

But in this case there is a strong female character, so her character would somehow appear empowered by default

It's very logical that Wolfgang is physically the strongest of all character, while other character need to use their speciality to even their chance of survival

But Wifgrid in the other hand is more likelier to be Favorited because she's a freaking woman, and chicks don't usually wear armor and wield spear. And ya'll gotta feel empowered when playing as a strong female character even if you're a dude

It is basically like meeting that orc librarian in Winterhold. You will just automatically assume that he is some kind of genius when he's specialty is that he is an orc who can read and cast magic spells. while the other orc lives in a straw hut and kill each other for "sport"

Aand that's basically me when I overdose on bluepill

Gold is renewable and is arguably easier to obtain than Rocks.

I usually see Wigfrid being used only by newer players because she's a good character early-game. Wigfrid has great starting items. She regains health and sanity by killing mobs. She can make ridiculously cheap spears and helmets that anyone can use. She has a 1.25 damage dealt modifier and a 0.75 damage taken modifier. Her strength in combat lets her farm Spiders and fight off the early Hound attacks easily. She's not hard to feed because when you get Crock Pots, everyone will be eating Meatballs anyway. However, you will soon learn that she can't take advantage of food like Blue Caps and Cooked Cactus Flesh. Also, her Battle Spears will eventually be replaced by better weapons like the Ham Bat.

She's not that overpowered, just very overused. Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, and WX78 will always be the supreme trio.

28 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

I usually see Wigfrid being used only by newer players because she's a good character early-game. Wigfrid has great starting items. She regains health and sanity by killing mobs. She can make ridiculously cheap spears and helmets that anyone can use. She has a 1.25 damage dealt modifier and a 0.75 damage taken modifier. Her strength in combat lets her farm Spiders and fight off the early Hound attacks easily. She's not hard to feed because when you get Crock Pots, everyone will be eating Meatballs anyway. However, you will soon learn that she can't take advantage of food like Blue Caps and Cooked Cactus Flesh. Also, her Battle Spears will eventually be replaced by better weapons like the Ham Bat.

She's not that overpowered, just very overused. Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, and WX78 will always be the supreme trio.

The part I bolded already gives you free points. Meta will be meta, and that cannot ever be denied.

2 hours ago, TitanCat said:

1. Taking gender studies into game mechanics is a closed alley. And the subject is much deeper than that. Actually -  based on my six hundred-something hours in the game so far plus the observations of the fellow players, not a real, full-fledged analysis with the proper tools of research, mind you (this would be good!) - she is taken by people who want a straightforward warrior character without Wolfgang's penalties. BLESSEDLY DS and DST have so far been bereft of skimpwear and oversexualisation of characters.

2. This is a fallacy. Whenever there is trouble, humans take up arms. Humans. Not men. You've got enough archeological evidence, modern examples too. This statement is fallacious - it oversimplifies and mixes the game with RL. Not to mention her act is that of a Valkyrie. Vikings had shieldmaidens. Nohing that unique.

3. I blame Latin. Due to orcus: Hell. Then other languages picked it up. And finally Tolkien came, and people trying to rip off his legacy went to have orcs as Always Chaotic Evil. TES has this problem. There are notable books featuring orcs in a different light. I can tell you more in a PM or something if you wish.

1 hour ago, JohnWatson said:

She's terribly overused to be honest, public servers are usually stuffed with Wigfrids and Wilsons, very little character variety. 

However her passive 25% less incoming damage does seem overpowered.

Just now, AlbertDelRiver said:

She's terribly overused to be honest, pubic servers are usually stuffed with Wigfrids and Wilsons, very little character variety. 

However her passive 25% less incoming damage does seem overpowered.

She is. Public servers love them.

I have almost starved as Wig in early game, before I got used to the fact that she burns through her hunger faster than she does in the single player game. She is the only character besides Wilson that I've played much (in DST. I have long DS runs with Warly & Wlibur). It's all about koalas. You have to drop everything to hunt one  before you get your alchemy engine set up, but as long as you make a point of that you can live as a nomad Wig if you want. A crucial time saving trick is to use someone else's alchemy engine early on to make a boomerang so that you can easily aggro the koalas.  You just always have to have the equivalent of a stack of five or six big meats in your inventory, although of course crockpot meals are better.   You can't go anywhere without food, and even if you remembered to bring it, you can run out so quickly.  When it isn't winter, I always travel with a stack of silks so I can fish when I come across a pond. Use monster meat to bait vultures in the desert and convert pigs into werepigs for two meats, etc. 

That said, once you get the hang of this, Wig is pretty OP.  I like her because I hate insanity and the noises that come with it and because I'm not very good at kiting. I always get hit a lot and need the health boost she gets with a kill.

Wigfrid is very easy if you are new to the game. You don't die too much, because of the high durability of her helmet + hp recovery on hit. Before you know about kitting, you can tank some spiders and kill hounds and frogs very easily. On my first weeks playing DST, I had a stablished base and survived alone 140+ days (never lost that world), killing Deerclops, Bearger and Dragonfly every time the two first showed up. After that, I started playing with other characters to avoid the "easy mode", and I have to say I never killed Dragonfly ever since, and only survived to see a second year once, with a mate (who was playing Wigfrid, lol).

Now I know a lot more things about the game and try more risky stuff, but still Wigfrid solo runs were the easier I've had. Many of my deaths are on dumb calm moments doing normal stuff, when I forget something like my armour close to break and get into an easy fight, or carry meat into my rabbit men farms. These mistakes don't happen so often when you have 200hp and a high durability helmet, without talking about the also pretty high durable Battle Spear and Wigfrid's health regen.

Her low maximum Sanity is a positive thing. You can recover it really easily. Also, if you go crazy and kill a single Terrorbeak you will get out of danger numbers just like that. And also all her fighting skills and equipment make shadow creatures way less dangerous to Wigfrid.

Now I have two newbie friends who came playing DST, and both of them found way easier to learn playing as Wigfrid too. On their first games, they were already super good monster meat and silk farmers! And pretty funny to see them feeling like God of War tanking spooders, until really strong enemies came by... :D.

Edit: Oh god and how they farm nightmare fuel since first days!! Hahahahaha. They are so cute, always poisoning themselves on monster meat. When I want my nightmare fuel I have to spend my time going crazy and farming cactus. Having 10-20 of these before winter is luxury xD.

16 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

She's terribly overused to be honest, pubic servers are usually stuffed with Wigfrids and Wilsons, very little character variety. 

I concur, my Encounters list is nearly filled to the brim with Wigfrids. Wigfrid makes things easier for new players in the beginning, but in the long run you'll be gimping yourself and learning bad habits. Experienced players will know to stay away from Wigfrid and just stick with Wolfgang if they want high damage output.

I guess Wilson is only common because he's used in like 99% of promotional art and videos. And too many guides mislead people into thinking that Wilson is the best character because apparently his beard makes Winter easier. I'm guessing they don't know Beefalo Hats exist. And they might also not know that Spring and Summer exists.

To be fair, Wilson might be a good tutorial character to play alone because he lacks any obvious downside, which may give new players an easier time learning the basics.

Archived