Warly for DST

I get that most character like Walani or Woodlegs would be useless in don't starve together due to the lack of shipwrecked content, but i felt like having Warly there is going to be very useful because he has chef pouch and portable crock pot, or make two of those exclusive to himself for balancing.

But it still make a lot of sense to have Warly as the first shipwrecked character to appear in DST

This is why

Warly:

+ Superior Insulated Pack and may be able to make more for other player

+ Portable crock pot, It's most powerful recipe is craftable in ROG world

Walani

+ Chill and Dry faster i guess

- Surfboard is useless in rog world

Wilbur

+ Make poopoo everyday

- Cave ape ignores his crowns

- "Nanas" is pretty rare in ROG world

Woodlegs

--- Don't even get me started on him

There's already someone who modded it in the workshop, but the author ported the characters somewhat poorly, I do agree that Warly being ported to DST alone would make sense considering he isn't heavily reliant on the SW scene. His fresh fruit crepes and monster tartare work in RoG however his mussel boulballaise and the other recipe of potatoe souffle don't work in RoG. 

I want this to happen, but the developers seem to be busy with the holiday event and are busy on A New Reign. Maybe after A New Reign hopefully they work on SW:Together.

35 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

There's already someone who modded it in the workshop, but the author ported the characters somewhat poorly, I do agree that Warly being ported to DST alone would make sense considering he isn't heavily reliant on the SW scene. His fresh fruit crepes and monster tartare work in RoG however his mussel boulballaise and the other recipe of potatoe souffle don't work in RoG. 

I want this to happen, but the developers seem to be busy with the holiday event and are busy on A New Reign. Maybe after A New Reign hopefully they work on SW:Together.

I would love to be wrong, but I am doubtful that they will be implementing Shipwrecked (itself and/or it's characters) in DST.  This is shown by it being quite some time since Shipwrecked release for DS, but still not even a hint of it coming to DST.  In addition to this, mod authors have been seemingly fully allowed to use the assets as part of DST mods, which they wouldn't be allowed to do so if it was their intention to port the DLC themselves.

As for this specific character, I agree he could definitely work as a normal non-Shipwrecked character, however, his story is kind of based on Shipwrecked.  As such, it would be a bit out of place to just throw him into DST.

At the end of the day and until things change, I think it is probably left as a mod.

I wish i could just install the mod right away, but the first 10 comment of the mod is just complaining how the port was done poorly

Lore accuracy of having warly in DST for now is bad

But his gameplay element fits very well with ROG because the only thing that separate him from DST is just two additional crock pot recipe which i personally find to be terrible

Like the buttered mussels, when somehow the Fish stick is far more superior

8 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

You could beg the authors to update the code in the mod, and donate to them Elegant skins! 

Or maybe reverse engineer his source to only include warly

(true story cause i've wasted spent 6 hour trying to figure out how to mod warly into DST)

1 hour ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

donate to them Elegant skins!

Or pleated shirts, those are just as good...

And I think there are lore reasons behind not implementing SW characters into DST. So...it probably won't happen. Sorry if I'm being the party pooper here.

2 hours ago, TitanCat said:

Or maybe reverse engineer his source to only include warly

(true story cause i've wasted spent 6 hour trying to figure out how to mod warly into DST)

Honestly, code-wise it would probably be rather trivial to port Warly's mechanics from Shipwrecked.  However you would run into snags porting his art as DS and DST do not use the same hierarchy from what I understand.

I agree with @Electroely that Warly doesn't fit in with the current lore of DST.  Being able to be nomadic with a portable crockpot definitely could be fun in the game, however, I feel like the worlds are generally small enough that you probably wouldn't utilize it as often as you'd think.  One of the reasons Warly's mechanics were so useful in Shipwrecked is that you had to hop from island to island, and therefore getting back to home base was quite a challenge, whereas in DST it is rather easy to get home (unless you're deep in the caves maybe).

All in all, I think that Warly as a character is best left to modding for now.

Archived