Anymore development on Don't Starve Standalone?

Hello Klei,

has development for Don't Starve shifted entirely over to DST? If so that would be disappointing; there are some of us who still spends significant time on the standalone and would like to see some of the new developments from DST officially migrate back into the standalone game...

Thanks.

• Developer

Lore-wise, nothing from DST should be ported to standalone, because DS is Maxwell's creations while DST is Charlie's.

Some stuff might be, in the future, but don't get too hopeful.

Plus, I'm pretty sure their main focus is on ANR, ONI and Hot Lava right now.

Indeed, but things like some beefalo riding equipment, mushroom farms or whatever created by the player and not already existing in the world wouldn't brake the lore, like all that's not strictly related to multiplayer mechanics wouldn't brake the gameplay.
Is rather sad seeing all the efforts converge into DST while, back in the days, the team's policy was to not consider a multiplayer developement at the expense of the single player experience. Don't Starve still remains a great and complete game, but the fact DST has content that would fit well in DS cannot be denied.

That said, at this point is there any reason for you to play standalone DS over DST?

Other than the Shipwrecked DLC (Which wasn't the most popular expansion to begin with.)

It seems to me like DST has everything DS has, and then some.

I was under the impression the new boss creatures were balanced for multiplayer instead of individuals.

I do happen to like Shipwrecked as it has a different vibe from the victorian gloominess of the original. It would be nice to have officially have the mushrooms additions and gates and domestication in the original game instead of mods.

Well, whatever will be, will be.

On 7/12/2016 at 7:11 AM, lemmethink said:

I was under the impression the new boss creatures were balanced for multiplayer instead of individuals.

They are. Let's just think the Bearger and the Goose/Goose have the highest HP in DS, with a value of 3000 each.
The Bee Queen has 22500.
The Toadstool has 52500 (!!!).

Plus...

On 6/12/2016 at 11:06 PM, Rosten said:

That said, at this point is there any reason for you to play standalone DS over DST?

...all DST is balanced for multiplayer. In addition to several game mechanics, just think about the increased HP many mobs have and the overall resource abundance in the world.

They are still pushing updates in form of bug fixes. mainly concerning mechanics with world merging, seasons, daycount, volcano and ruins. And a few other things.

I haven't heard anything official about more content. But personally I would love to see some of the mechanics and items from DST to end up in single player.

On 12/6/2016 at 2:06 PM, Rosten said:

Other than the Shipwrecked DLC (Which wasn't the most popular expansion to begin with.)

It seems to me like DST has everything DS has, and then some.

I can't play DST because of lag issues. I'll admit my internet isn't great but I can play other games without too much lag issues. I also find issues with people picking up all the flint and taking all the twigs around the spawn entrance -- as a beginner in DST --- how can you possibly survive without being forced to rely on other players who may not want to share their resources to help? Maybe they need to divide servers b regions to make it better. Maybe they need to make the spawn entrance area only available to new players to pick flint/twigs (anyone over 1 day cannot re-enter to pick resources or something but that would affect respawns).

On 07.12.2016 at 1:06 AM, Rosten said:

Other than the Shipwrecked DLC

two big mods : 'Hero in the dark' and 'Up and away'

since i don't have friends to play in DST (they have no interest in it), i don't feel that SW+special mods for DS is worth to exchange for ability to play with randoms ... I still have feeling that DS is perfect for single playing.

I am hoping too for a port of some quite interesting stuff from DST to DS RoG and SW, like tree petrification, grass gekkos and juicy bushes... And a lot more of mobs, items and etc. - that isn't really tied to multiplayer. But I am pretty sure by this point the only reason they keep bug fixing DS is for people to not kick up the whinestorm, sadly.

Yeah you get mad at DST because a 4 year old game isn't getting updated every day.

I'd accept it if you said it about Shipwrecked, but the base game/RoG, they don't need anything else.

DST is laggy because the host is laggy, if the host's pc is a potato obviously you will constantly get disconnected, but if the host has a beefy PC or is hosting a dedicated server, it won't do as bad. The max "lag" i get is the yellow warning.

There's hope, in the form of a YouTube comment Klei made about a month ago on a reupload of their DST trailer:Klei comment.png

Whether or not this is continued development on SW (which to me is the likely case), or something all new, is unknown.

I hope we'll have a new dlc for DS like they did in SW.

as they have separate the 2 games, I think they can have a team for DS and a team for DST.

imo I see DST is lore and MP while DS is more "Wilson adventures in strange universes"

I've wrote it once, but I think an "arctic dlc" would perfectly fit the game

Archived