What old video game to you play from time to time

Donke60

On 11/25/2016 at 4:23 AM, Arlesienne said:

I mostly play games considered old by most. Thief, ZOO Tycoon... And you know what? I don't give a damn about people laughing I'm vintage (nice) or sepulchral (not nice). These games are gems of their genres and the fandoms keep them alive.

Phrack yeah!  Preach it, sister!  What the hell does it matter how old a game is, _as long as it's GOOD_?  (And if you can get it working on your newer equipment.  : P)

I play LOTS of older games--it's fairly infrequent that I get an actual current one, in fact.  Older games I still enjoy include Civ 3, Sims 2 (yes TWO--1 doesn't work anymore on my computer, or I'd totally try busting that out again as well), Dragon Quests (Warriors) 1-6 and Final Fantasy 1-6, especially 4 and 6 ("2" and "3" on the Super Nintendo), and the occasional old adventure game, such as Monkey Island or Space Quest.  Text adventures hold a special place in my heart alongside the likes of radio plays or silent movies--there's this kind of, I don't know..._atmosphere_ to minimalistic entertainments like that that you don't get from more full-media things.

Old games I CAN'T play anymore due to them not installing on a 64-bit Windows system, but wish I could, include:  Oregon Trail II, the Discworld games (!) and anything that DosBox doesn't quite cover.

I don't worry about being a hipster--I kind of became one by ACCIDENT simply by _continuing_ to like the things I like. They became old, I still liked them, then "ironic" younger types in goatees started doing/wearing/playing these things, and I STILL liked them, so I kept doin' 'em.  Thing is, I'm not a hipster, I'm just old...but I don't LOOK anywhere near my age.  So when people, say, see me doing a paper crossword puzzle with a physical pencil to pass the time (as opposed to an I-phone game)  at the train station, they probably think I'm one of Those.

Let 'em.  I didn't buy all these awesome puzzle books for the purpose of never using them. : P  I have patience. Someday, even the fedora will mean Indiana Jones and Humphrey Bogart instead of "smarmy little arsehole", again.

Until then, hands off my Dreamcast.  :)  (Which is my original purchase from 1999 and yes, STILL WORKS!)

...Notorious

For freeware flash games, I highly recommend "Swords and Potions 2" for the simulation aspect. I like the mixture of crafting and feeling like a boss of a business.

Right now I'm playing Kingdom Hearts but my father would love me to play TNBC: Oogie's Revenge again. Psychonauts is pretty nice too aesthetically and gameplay wise.

An old video game that I still play from time to time is Nocturne, a survival horror game from 1999. Loved the characters, setting, and atmosphere. The same developers used the engine to make a quasi-spin off in Blair Witch Project Volume 1: Rustin Parr. (Surprisingly good)

4 hours ago, JanH said:

An old video game that I still play from time to time is Nocturne, a survival horror game from 1999. Loved the characters, setting, and atmosphere. The same developers used the engine to make a quasi-spin off in Blair Witch Project Volume 1: Rustin Parr. (Surprisingly good)

My brother suggested I play that game also enternal darkness but with the camera scheme and controls of Nocturne it breaks the imersion for me because it feels like an interactive cheesy horror movie of devil may cry mixed with resident evil. I should play that game again though I might change my mind but for me thats how it usually goes. "Things are getting real spoopy"

Archived