The Steam Awards

Bebbit

I had a ball with this.

My custom award, Tearjerker, ultimately went to That Dragon, Cancer. I had to create my own category as the Something in My Eye... highlighted the unexpected emotions. Dragon... is a rather personal game to me as somebody close to me is struggling with the titular antagonist and I willingly subjected myself to the drama of playing this game (with a couple of friends who came over, I don't have it in my lobrary; yet).

The Something in My Eye went to Deadly Shadows. Because I honestly wasn't prepared for the catharsis of the epilogue. You can say many bad things of TDS, but plot-wise, it's a worthy heir to TDP and TMA. The whole gevaisa plot was impressive. Unforgettable, in fact.

The Test of Time, predictably, went to The Metal Age. I initially thought of The Dark Project, but being only capable of nominating one game per category, I picked TMA. None of the Thief trilogy age, plot- and concept-wise, but the fandom keeping the franchise alive makes many more fanmissions for TMA than TDP or TDS. My first game translated was T2X, so it influenced me too.

Just 5 More Minutes? DST, of course. Such a time-leech :D. The description was pinpoint to me.

Whoa, Dude! - I wanted to nominate the PlayStation Flower, actually. Alas, no suck luck. I settled for the runner-up, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Yes, the walking simulator with puzzles. Because it is mind-blowing and recognising the parts of the locations like the Wang Temple just adds the icing to the cake.

A Villain Most in Need of a Hug? It had to be a Steam game, so DS. I do prefer highlighting Maxwell is an antivillain, actually, and even more regretful in DST. I would have had difficulty deciding, had DAI been there - I deeply sympathise with Gereon Alexius, quite much with Samson as well, finally, Corypheus. He suffers from a severe loss of fate most deign to ignore.

I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award? Drakensang: The Dark Eye. Easy as pie. I've never seen a more successful port of a pen-and-paper RPG into a cRPG.

Game within a Game went to Drakensang: The River of Time. It has a lot of puzzles, like the river nymph's prison, but the one involving Brother Emmeran takes the cake.

The animal award, after nearly a draw with the pigmen here, was awarded to the Phileasson's Secret expansion of TRoT. The entire series loves playing with the mundane, making (undead) mules, pigs and dogs great again, but the giant (dung) beetles massacring the tied-up elves of Tie'Shianna are the definition of deconstructing tropes. I think Milord will enjoy being faced with them soon.

Archived