Modder compression usage

Adura

The things you worry about. I'd be glad if modders start using VORBIS compression on thair soundbanks (default is uncompressed, aka WAV). Soundbanks are usually twice as heavy as they need to be because of this.

That and not ship the "exported" folder with the finished mod. Sure, the steam uploader filters the files out anyways, but the Klei website does not.

8 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

The things you worry about. I'd be glad if modders start using VORBIS compression on thair soundbanks (default is uncompressed, aka WAV). Soundbanks are usually twice as heavy as they need to be because of this.

That and not ship the "exported" folder with the finished mod. Sure, the steam uploader filters the files out anyways, but the Klei website does not.

I couldn't suggest lossy compression. ;)

28 minutes ago, Adura said:

I couldn't suggest lossy compression. ;)

Considering how a simple character voice (uncompressed) already weighs between six and nine MB in my experience, it is quite important for big mods to cut down on that. It's not like you couldn't change the compression quality, anyways.

Archived