<default>'s winter-themed reskins (and more)

Here's some stuff:

skinsers.jpg

I kinda like white version of this hat (in the left-bottom corner). I'll probably change up the rest of the colors a bit and make it a skin.

Also, what if you get tired of your festive skin? Here's the solution for ya:

unfestivizer.jpg

Un-festivizer can be applied to any festive item, changing it back to normal. Craftable with 1 Charcoal + 1 Pile of Ash.

Edit:

New Elf Hat skin + a preview of Wilson's festive beard:

wilsun.jpg

Edited by PanAzej
  • Like 9

On 12/2/2016 at 8:41 AM, Rawsie said:

Woah! Thanks man! It's just a flat coloured sketch though, nothing complicated.

No, I currently don't, but I'm thinking about setting up one when I make enough don't starve art. I used to draw tons of fanart back in 2015 but most of it has aged quite badly.

Still, it's nicely designed. My work isn't as crisp as that. Also, there's also the off topic section to post non-DS art.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mathem99 said:

What if we could... eat the cane?

I don't think you'd want to eat Walrus teeth! (I can add eating the cane as an optional config if you wish so)

4 hours ago, graycrayon said:

I love these so much aaaah

Thanks, glad you like them!

Today's progress:

bearddyeandhat.png

Santa's Hat is in the game, as well as Festive Beard Dye, which I've just finished coding!

• Like 5

On 11/27/2016 at 9:22 PM, PanAzej said:

I think I should just scrap this idea altogether and make something different.

If you don't get excited over something you don't get let down by it! :V

worufgangu5000.jpg

The most overpowered item for the best character. Just look a them muscles! MAJESTIC.

I thought I loved all other ideas...

This takes the cake though. GIMME!

• Like 1

On 6.12.2016 at 3:00 AM, Arlesienne said:

This takes the cake though. GIMME!

You'll be able to build it soon*.

Here comes Festivizer! I'll crap-ify its graphics quality later on, don't worry.

xmasprot.png

Only building and idle animations are done so far.

Oh, and also I made actual prefabs for every item made so far, added missing icons and all that good stuff.

wicker_screen.jpg

If you have any suggestions for quotes, post them here. And yes, quotes can be skin-specific.

Do the writing for me, peasants, muhahaha

*Valve-time

• Like 7

20 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Now that you mention it, it does seem to have a high res :/

It sadly has, at the moment.

willowstuff.jpg

Un-festivizer and Willow's Candle are in the game, fully working, and all that good stuff!

Also I've figured out how to make items remember use percentage while crafting.

In other words, I'll make it so all of the items introduced by this mod will require just the item you'd like to skin, e.g. Tam o' Shanter is used to craft Santa's Hat, and that's it. You use 60% Tam, you get 60% Santa's Hat.

Beforehand I had quite a hard time balancing this stuff, but now I don't need to :p

santastuff.jpg

Also, the final costume piece is in the works right now!

• Like 7

I'm thrilled to learn how you solved the durability problem. To my knowledge, three functions in the builder component have to be overwritten completely (one for items and two for structures, latter also requiring a new buffer variable and as such ideally overwritting the save-load functions), but perhaps I am wrong.

Edited by Mobbstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

I'm thrilled to learn how you solved the durability problem. To my knowledge, three functions in the builder component have to be overwritten completely (one for items and two for structures, latter also requiring a new buffer variable and as such ideally overwritting the save-load functions), but perhaps I am wrong.

It's much simpler, but maybe I worded myself badly.

Example:

local lighter_festive_recipe = AddRecipe("lighter_festive", 
{Ingredient("lighter", 1)},
festivetab, 
TECH.FESTIVIZER_ONE, 
nil,
nil,
true,
nil, 
"pyromaniac", 
"images/inventoryimages/lighter_festive.xml", 
"lighter_festive.tex")
lighter_festive_recipe.fueled = true -- builder will remember fuel % upon crafting and apply it to our product

local function BuilderPostInit( builder )
local _RemoveIngredients = builder.RemoveIngredients
builder.RemoveIngredients = function( self, ingredients, recname )
     if GLOBAL.GetValidRecipe(recname).fueled then
         for item, ents in pairs(ingredients) do
			for k,v in pairs(ents) do
				for i = 1, v do
					local function SetFuelOnCraft(inst, data) 
						if data.recipe.fueled then
							data.item.components.fueled:SetPercent(self.fueleditemfuel)
						end
						inst:RemoveEventCallback("builditem", SetFuelOnCraft)
					end

self.fueleditemfuel = k.components.fueled:GetPercent()
					self.inst:ListenForEvent("builditem", SetFuelOnCraft)
				end
			end
		end
    end

return _RemoveIngredients( self, ingredients, recname )
end
end
AddComponentPostInit("builder", BuilderPostInit)

It's not very "all-around-compatible", but it doesn't need to be, for what I need to use it. For now, at least.

Also, I've gotta buy myself some full-body character skin (I guess Wes GoH would be cheap?) since I don't have any to test skin compatibility properly. And I feel those skins may cause some problems with the code of some equippables I've implemented so far.

EDIT: Okay, I bought one. What I'm doing for ya, people...

EDIT2: Yup, just as I thought. It cuts off character's butts. Gotta fix it.

Edited by PanAzej
  • Like 2

Okay, so here's more progress. Not too much to show, because I focused mainly on coding, testing and fixing bugs.

Festivizer is now fully coded, animated and working:

machinestuff.jpgmachinestuff2.jpg

Also, I figured out how to add new symbols to player builds and found out how to override Wolfgang's upper arm properly:

wolfgangstuff.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, a bit sadder announcement: I have to scrap some content. Christmas is just around the corner and releasing a christmas-related mod just before - or during it - doesn't make much sense. I tried, but I can't work that fast even when dedicating all of my free time developing the mod.

Presents, Festive Koalefant, Grinch-Krampus, Festive Evergreen and Snowman-Spiderqueen definitely won't make it to the final mod.

Possibly, all content that is non-festivizer related may get scrapped. Not sure, but yeah.

I've overestimated how much time I need.

Edited by PanAzej
reason
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, PanAzej said:

Christmas is just around the corner and releasing a christmas-related mod just before - or during it - doesn't make much sense.

Just now, DragonMage156 said:

You don't need a time frame. I mean someone released a Halloween mod after Halloween so no biggie if you release this on New Years with more stuff, right?

Look what I just found! It's called "updates" and it means you can release the mod before christmas and make all the content you wanted to!

There is going to be a lot of players who didn't get to "celebrate" christmas in DST because of a proper family feast n stuff, so DragonMage is right.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

But... but 11th of Dec :(

You don't need a time frame. I mean someone released a Halloween mod after Halloween so no biggie if you release this on New Years with more stuff, right?

It doesn't feel right to me. And there's more reasons why I'm scrapping some content.

When I'm working on a mod, everything has to be polished and perfect. You see my name on it, you expect quality. I don't make bad mods. I have this mentality that "I need to work on it until it's finished, screw everything else". I can't focus on anything or enjoy anything, because I could work on my mod. I'm wasting time. It's quite exhausting.

Another reason is: most of the playerbase struggles to even survive winter. They won't ever experience my version of Krampus nor my version of Spider Queen.

Another reason is: Klei already made their versions of Festive Evergreen and Presents.

And reason for Koalefant scrapping: His build has weirdly resized body parts. Editing atlas itself won't work for the skin I designed. And I'm not sure if I can code it properly, seeing as there already is a mod that adds new Koalefants - I would have to make it compatible and stuff, I haven't looked at it, but I expect it to be too much work.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

You see my name on it, you expect quality.

Yeah, I know that from somewhere... Even when I try to abandon mods, I keep coming back to them.

17 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Another reason is: most of the playerbase struggles to even survive winter. They won't ever experience my version of Krampus nor my version of Spider Queen.

Tbh, I was surprised you planned to reskin those, especially Krampus.

14 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Editing atlas itself won't work for the skin I designed.

That's no problem, just decompile the animation, replace the images, recompile with a different name and use the new build (image set) but the old bank (animation set). All you need is Krane by Simplex, available here on KEF, I believe.

• Like 1

That's no problem, just decompile the animation, replace the images, recompile with a different name and use the new build (image set) but the old bank (animation set). All you need is Krane by Simplex, available here on KEF, I believe.

Yup, I decompiled it. Some of body parts are really weirdly resized. Not sure if just replacing builds would work.

Not sure about the coding part, either. I'd rather scrap it. There's already a "winter version" of this mob. We can do without a 'festive' variant.

Also, I just realized now that making Wolfgang's arms yesterday broke all other characters for some reason. I have to dedicate even more work to that now. Even more time I could dedicate for new items will go to fix old stuff that broke. Meh.

Edit: Looks like everything broke in some way, since it also has to do something about my non-stock skin "fix".

Edit2: Okay, it took me an hour to fix it. Oh well.

Tbh, I was surprised you planned to reskin those, especially Krampus.

This one was because I told somebody that I'd make one.

And Spider Queen... Well, it only made sense, after all of those spider/spider den reskins.

Edited by PanAzej
  • Like 3