I joined a pvp server thinking it would be fun

Right as i spawned a Wigfrid started chasing me with her spear

Like any other Maxwell getting chased I run

After running for a while I find another Wigfrid who I attempt to cower behind

I now have two Wigfrids chasing me

I get clumsy and get speared to death

Im mad and say "Screw you" in chat

Rage quit

Right after i press leave server I briefly see one of the Wigfrids get struck by lightning before the game fades away

I laugh my head off

I rejoin to see them both dead

I fall off my chair

12/10 would injure leg again 

6 hours ago, Silvercide said:

I was okay with it after. I have not laughed like that in a while!

Well, I still remember my PVP attempts... The server specifically said the admin wouldn't attack first, that they were effectively neutral unless provoked, here to help, blahblahblah... I got two people. Two.

One was Clem. Clem, AKA a modded Wendy with a moderate speed boost instead of Abigail. I used the chat to greet them and offered I'd come to the portal to give them some basic resources (though it was autumn). I was close anyway, farming merms (for there were a few pig and merm huts around three screens away from the portal, hence I was living off the loot). I thought basic decency would allow forming teams, diplomacy, trading and so on.

Boy, how wrong I was.

Clem was silent. I stopped and repeated my greeting. Then, after an awkward minute (!) of silence, I asked if they know how to open the chat (Y by default).

In return, I received advice to, as my friend says, inconvenience myself from behind in an obscene fashion. And after that, I saw a little girl advancing on me with an axe.

I ran.

Clem died of starvation.

The second was Maxwell. Trying not to let Clem spoil my experience, I was as amicable as it gets. Once again, I got a stream of expletives, AND said Maxwell started chasing me - clad in good armour (can't remember what it was - marble or thulecite since the world had caves and I lived throughout the winter, so I carried a walking cane in my inventory) and a helmet, an admin (so here from the start) - with a hammer.

No words.

I ran.

Maxwell died to darkness, freezing and merms (who courageously rose in my defense as I ran through the merm neighbourhood). I didn't get a single scratch.

Except to my mental well-being.

B-b-but it makes for a good story around the campfire!

Oh, god, yes, Arlesienne.  Fresh-spawn kills are, in fact, absolutely THE reason I don't PvP.  Ever.  It seems every single time I go anywhere near any game that even _breathes_ in the direction of PvP, I am SLAMMED the second I arrive/finish the tutorial area. 

Kiling a complete newbie does NOTHING for the player who does it, as said newbie of course has no decent items, no money... What it does, is allow you to be a douchecanoe. And to chase new players screaming away from the game.

And boy does it work, on both counts.  For me, PvP now = giggling idiot troll shanks you the second you exist, so what's the point?  I _could_ try to go ahead and kill the level 1 monsters without my starting equipment...but knowing you can be killed again at any time and never make any progress kinda puts a damper on that...

This is why I am SO GLAD Don't Starve Together has PvE options.

...Notorious

Archived