Insects, arachnids, and the like...

Stonetribe

Hello all! So one thing about me is that I have a huge interest in all things arthropods. I sort of like to make this thread on forums I hope to be actively visiting to indulge this interest of mine. What happens is that I do periodic factual "highlights" where I'll talk about a certain bug, listing off various information about them like how big they are or where they can be found to more interesting facts that set them apart from other buggies or any other animal for that matter.

The point of this thread is to have fun learning interesting things about these creatures, so if this is a touchy subject for you (It is for a lot of people as I'm sure most of us are aware of) proceed with caution and please refrain from talking about how you hate all things that have more that 4 legs. I will say though that if you are iffy with this kind of thing but are willing to try and read further, there's a very good chance that you may end up more comfortable with the topic as a whole. Education is one of the best ways to overcome fears.

One other thing I should mention is to please keep videos of forced bug fighting off here as well, thanks. I'll write the first highlight sometime tonight, so feel free to check back later if your interested. Thank you, and a have a nice day! :wilson_dorky:

I'm very glad to see this thread already garnering interest! :wilson_ecstatic: Thanks everyone! Now I just hope I don't disappoint. For our first highlight, let's not do something too exotic or flashing but still interesting all the same. Let's take a look at the Argentine Ant.

argentine_ant_copyright.jpg

The thing that stands out most with Argentine Ants is their incredibly nonviolent behavior towards other Argentine ants, even those from a different colony. You see, if nearly any other species of ant came across another ant of a different colony, regardless of its species, they would most likely act aggressive to each other if one thought the other would be a threat to her colony. Argentine ants however, can peacefully coexist and mingle with other Argentines from a different colony, and will often communicate with one another to actually combine both of their colonies into one. Because of this they are extremely successful as a species. In fact, it was discovered that 3 super colonies of Argentine Ants from America, Europe, and Japan were genetically related! Speaking of which, Argentine ants can be found in almost any part of the world. This is because they often stow away on boats or other large vehicles, which is the main reason why they have become so wide spread in the first place. Argentine ants are small, roughly 3 millimeters. However size isn't much of an issue when you take the usually high population of an ant colony and multiply it by six. Another trait that makes them so successful, but isn't necessarily exclusive to them, is that they don't have just one queen. Argentine nests can usually have up to a dozen queens or more. A queen can be recognized by having a notable dot their back.

It really says something about a species's success and efficiency when they start to drive other native species of ants into being endangered sheerly by out-competing them for resources alone. This in turn can negatively affect other parts of the ecosystem. Their success as a species also makes them difficult to deal with as pests in the home and agriculture. These are not good things, surely, though I feel that it really distracts people from what makes them so fascinating and instead only allows them to be seen in a negative light. What a shame.

So that's my first highlight, I hope you enjoyed reading because I have plenty more to come! Please feel free to let me know what you thought of it as I'd very much like to hear your thoughts!

I'm almost certain that dragonflies are the greatest incests of all.

Like, 99% certain. That's a lot of certain.

They've got the name going for them (nobody thinks dragons aren't cool. nobody.) but their movement patterns are awesome. They fly around and... they hover. Hovering is crazy. Hovering gets 10/10.

This is a wonderful and highly informative article! I knew of the impressive termite colonies' size, but not that certain ant colonies can grow to such extremes too.

The only thing that bothered me about the text is the following, rather unscientific statement:

15 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Argentine nests can usually have up to a dozen queens or more.

1) can 2) usually 3) up to 4) or more (3 and 4 directly contradict each other) Instead I suggest "Some/Many Argentine nests have been found to house over/about a dozen queens."

But this really is the only flaw I can find. Congratulations! Please write more!

I've learned so much already. Really in-depth and well done, and most of all interesting. maybe I'll shake off my irrational, crippling fear of beetles at some point. spiders and scorpions and giant=ass moths are fine, but Jesus Christ i hate beetles.

Also, cute avatar. Who drew it? Looks familiar.

Wow, thank you all for your feedback! I'm very pleased to see this thread being well received so far! :wilson_laugh:

On 10/23/2016 at 10:44 PM, Blewcheese said:

I'm almost certain that dragonflies are the greatest incests of all.

Like, 99% certain. That's a lot of certain.

They've got the name going for them (nobody thinks dragons aren't cool. nobody.) but their movement patterns are awesome. They fly around and... they hover. Hovering is crazy. Hovering gets 10/10.

Yes, dragonflies are very cool creatures indeed. ^^ I actually plan on writing a highlight on dragonflies in general, so I hope you look forward to that.

On 10/24/2016 at 7:41 PM, Bebbit said:

I've learned so much already. Really in-depth and well done, and most of all interesting. maybe I'll shake off my irrational, crippling fear of beetles at some point. spiders and scorpions and giant=ass moths are fine, but Jesus Christ i hate beetles.

Also, cute avatar. Who drew it? Looks familiar.

Thank you, that's really peculiar though. I don't think I've ever seen someone have an issue with beetles as opposed to the usual buggies that people aren't fond of like spiders and scorpions. I do have a few highlights involving beetles planned as well, so if you can brave through reading them it very well might help ease your fears. Education is one of the best ways of overcoming phobias after all. I'm afraid I can't remember who drew my avatar though. My brother actually requested it on some guy's tumblr and when showed it to me I fell in love with it. I can ask him who drew it if you'd like.

Anyway here's a small highlight on an neat little insect known as a Froghopper.

124707-004-9AB10DDE.jpg

Froghoppers are tiny insects found worldwide that are usually a little less then 1.5 centimeters long. The Froghopper’s first noteworthy trait is it’s impressive jumping prowess. They like to jump from plant to plant in order to feed on various plant matter and in doing so, can reach a height of up to 70 cm vertically. Relative to body weight, this surpasses the jumping capacity of a flee, and in this regard making them one of the greatest leapers in all of the animal kingdom!

The more interesting thing about Froghoppers, though are the habits of their nymph stage, which are affectionately referred to as Spittlebugs.

Spittlebug4383.JPG

2005-jun-16_spittlebug-1.jpg

The Spittlebug has a very unique method of housing. First it will use a mouthpart known as a proboscis to pierce plant stems in order to suck at the sap. It then regurgitates it through the anus as the frothy substance you see in the pictures above. The Spittlebug will live the rest of it’s nymph days sheltered inside this bubbly pile known as cuckoo spit, frog spit or snake spit.

Why would anything want to live in a pile of spit? Quite a few reasons actually. Firstly the froth hides the Spittlebug from view of potential predators. The froth itself has a bitter taste, further deterring hungry mouths. The spit also does a good job of regulating temperature, keeping it from getting too cold or too hot. Lastly, the spit den provides much needed moisture. Without it, the young Froghopper nymph would quickly dry up and perish. I actually remember seeing this stuff outside as a kid and always wondering what it was. Finding out it was the work of this little guy was a very cool revelation!

Alright, today let's take a look at Water Striders.

water_strider_gerrid_joel.jpg

Water Striders can be found just about anywhere in the world that has a freshwater habitat. Marine species of Water Striders also exist, albeit less common. This usually consists of still water ponds and lakes but can also include slow moving streams. The thing that sets these insects apart from others is their almost trademark ability to walk on the surface of water, giving them the nickname "Jesus Bugs". They can easily be identified, aside from walking on water in the first place, by their four long legs spaced evenly throughout the water as well as an additional pair of legs that sport claws that help them manipulate objects.

These unique insects are able to walk on water thanks to a combination of two factors. The first is their long slender legs that have tons of hydrofuge hairs that use water surface tension to the Strider's advantage. Each leg boosts thousands of hairs per square millimeter. The second is the that they space their legs just so, in order to distribute weight evenly. Their legs may be thin, but are strong as well as flexible. This enables the Water Strider to push backwards with its hind legs and "skate" across the waters surface.

Despite their whimsical and unassuming appearance, it might surprise you to learn that Water Striders are in fact carnivorous. I remember my reaction being along the lines of, "Wait wait what!?". But yes, instead of being herbivores or at least omnivores like one might think, Water Striders are in fact meat eaters. What they do is that they use the water itself as a sort of natural trap, preying on any insect that has fallen onto the water's surface. Seeing as most other insects can't swim, they can do little to put up a fight against anything that wants to make a meal out of them. Water Striders are easily notified of potential meals due to the inevitable ripples a struggling insect or spider will make. After dashing towards their prey, they will grip them with their claw like forearms and stab the victim with a piercing mouth part called a rostrum to suck up the innards. Water Striders aren't greedy however, and will often share the bounty with any other nearby Striders. Speaking of which, Water Striders are known to be social creatures, forming packs to easier obtain nutrition or shelter. At other times though, specifically the mating season, they can be very territorial, making their turf known by sending out certain ripples that other Striders can understand. Males will defend their territory as well as their female mate from other Striders.

1 hour ago, Stonetribe said:

Water Striders.

I could possibly be thinking of another insect but, doesn't the female have like a mechanism that if a male comes along and tries to mate with her but she just "closes up" shop, but then the male starts making her a target by splashing around with specific rhythms making her obvious prey, So then she has to "give in"?

2 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

I could possibly be thinking of another insect but, doesn't the female have like a mechanism that if a male comes along and tries to mate with her but she just "closes up" shop, but then the male starts making her a target by splashing around with specific rhythms making her obvious prey, So then she has to "give in"?

I wasn't aware of this behavior, but after a bit of research it would indeed seem to be something that water striders do. Because the male is positioned on top during mating, any attracted aquatic predators like fish will almost always target the female first, giving the male ample time to escape unharmed. Very interesting! That's the other thing I like about making this thread, I myself get to learn new things about the highlighted bugs from either the research done before writing them or from the people responding. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sporb said:

Do some varieties of water striders fly or something? I seem to remember finding a water strider on top of a outdoor glass table or something and being very confused about how it got there.

Yes, some species of water striders do posses wings and are capable of flight. I remember reading that they're likely to fly off in search of a different body of still water whenever the one they were living in gets a little too crowded and the other water striders become especially violent towards each other as a result.

Sorry for the bit of absence everyone!  Now I love all all insects, spiders, crustaceans and anything else that could be considered a bug, very dearly.. But my favorite of all time is without question, the Praying Mantis!

praying-mantis_670_600x450.jpg

The Praying Mantis can be found worldwide in nearly any temperate or tropical habitat, barring arctic regions. Its name is derived from, as one might guess, the stance of its two forearms which appear as if it were in prayer. Praying Mantises sport large compound eyes and with it, superior vision, being able to see up to 50 feet away. That's not too much by human standards, but for an insect it's very impressive. The only problem with the Mantis's eyes are that since they are so close together, they sometimes suffer issues with depth perception. To compensate for this, the Mantis will sway from side to side in order to measure whatever it's looking at, to the background behind it. Praying Mantises also own a pair of wings that function not unlike many other insects. Though it varies from species to species, most Mantis's ability of flight are mediocre at best due to their unusual body shape.

However, the Praying Mantis's most distinguishing and eye catching feature are their elongated spine ridden forearms. Praying Mantises are exclusively carnivorous and and incredibly effective as predators. First off, almost all species of Mantis boost excellent camouflage suited to their environment. Mantises that live close to the ground are usually a brownish color to blend in with the dirt and fallen leaves. Mantises that live on plants or trees will have an expected shade of green. A tree dwelling Mantis may elaborate on this disguise even further by swaying back and forth so as to mimic the leaves around it blowing in the wind. There are even Mantises that are adapted to hunting on flowers that can sport elegant spots or bright shades of a color, like this.

2942695494_5ab126c7d6_z.jpg?zz=1

These various forms of camouflage are a great aid in their hunting in addition to staying undetected by other, bigger predators. It's only a matter of time until a suitable meal comes in range of the mantis. Once the time to strike arises, they lash out to grab its prey with their two forearms with lightning speed (1/20th the speed of a blink of an eye to be exact) each of which has hundreds of spines attached to impale the victim. Once in the grip of a Praying Mantis, there is little one can do but hope that by some miracle the Mantis may lose its grip. Here's a video showing exactly just how strong a mantis's hold can be.

As you might of seen from the video, Mantises are patient when hunting, but not when eating as they began to chow down as soon as they hold their catch in their forearms, almost always as the prey is still alive. Their table manners aren't all bad though, as they will carefully groom each forearm when finished in order to keep chunks of food from impairing their grip on its next victim. When snack time is done, they retreat back to the same spot or find another and begin the process all over again.

The Praying Mantises hunting methods are so effective, that an entire form of martial arts has been invented and stylized after them, check it out!

Now I'm sure most of you have heard about Mantises methods of "coupling" and the certain consequences it has for the male. To my knowledge, the female will indeed attempt to devour the male occasionally, most always due to not having eaten in a while and being very hungry at the time. For the most part however, this is rather exaggerated and more often than not the male will walk away unharmed, head and all. In fact Mantis courtship has sometimes been observed to involve a number of dances and rituals that would rival other animals known for their romantic mating methods.

Even through their fierce predatory skills and sometimes fatal relationships, Praying Mantises also make for surprisingly superb pets. I don't think that any pet store will sell them, so most Mantis pets are found outside or ordered online as eggs meant for gardening purposes. They'll likely shy away from their owners or try to intimidate them with their forearms as at first, as they (and almost any other animal with basic survival instinct) know that big things eat little things. However, they get used to humans as well as living in captivity relatively fast. After awhile, they may be able to recognize their owners face. They can even be taught to eat pieces of meat off of tweezers. They don't need much space, enough to be able to move about and hunt. I find that plastic containers like this are perfect for the task. Just drill multiple air holes in the lid and fill the container about 1/8th of the way with dirt. It's also highly recommended that you put some foliage in their to help the Mantis feel a bit more at home and not as vulnerable as he would in just an empty tank. Sadly the only drawback Mantis's have as pets are their relatively short life spans, only being about three months. So if you do find yourself owning a Mantis, try not to get too attached to him or her.

It's great when praying mantis egg sacks hatch, too. There are just a million minuscule baby mantises hanging around in a small area and it's really cute.

I think it's been, like, years since I've seen that, though. 

Archived