Survive the Shadows - Book of Shadows - Story (Complete)

The Magician's Shadow.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 1

The Magician's Shadow Part 1

"Ladies and gentlemen, another round of applause for The Amazing William Carter!"

William giggled a bit at his older brother did what he could to mimic the sound of roaring crowds, chanting William's name.

The six year old gave a bow, taking off his hat.

"You are all too kind. Please, the pleasure is all mine."

Jack stopped his act, ruffling his brother's hair.

"I tell you, one day that's going to happen for real, Willy Boy."

"I really want it to, Jackie." William had a gleam in his green eyes. "I just… hope I can get to that point. I'm still small and can only do basic tricks. I'm nothing like the professional ones we have in town."

"They are adults, William and you're only six. Give yourself a chance."

"And I'm sick too…"

"So?"

"It always trips me up in my acts."

"Hey." Jack put a hand on his shoulder. "It's not going to be like that forever. Not with me around." Jack grinned. "And you know where you're going to perform one day, William?"

The younger boy tilted his head curiosity in his eyes. "Where Jackie?" He asked, giving a puppy eyed look. "Where?"

Jack brought his arm around his brother, holding his other hand out in front of them.

"America! That's where!"

"Ooo... That's a really far away place and I bet there's lots of people who like magic too!" William giggled a bit. "Think I could? You really mean it?"

"I swear it." Jack chuckled. "One day, a big stage is going to have your name on it and people will be coming from all parts of the country to see you. Oh and you will have a wonderful assistant by your side too."

William blushed a little. "A… A lady?" He asked softly, fiddling with the brim of his hat a little. "L-Like a lady who'd like me?"

"Most certainly."

William blushed more.

"But I got a big nose and weird lips."

"So? She won't care. You'll be handsome to her in her eyes."

William was bright red now and put his hat on, trying to hide his face in it.

"You'll have to help me in THAT department then, Brother!"

Jack threw his head back laughing "That's my job, Little Brother!"

"Jaaackie!"

Jack smiled, bringing his brother close.

"Ah, Willy Boy, there's so much out there that's waiting for you. You just got to get out there and give it everything you got and I'll be right there to help you out."

William smiled, hugging his sibling tightly. "I'll do my very best. I promise Big Brother! A-And one day I'll be all better too."

"That's right and I'm going to help you get better. Once I'm a doctor, no more of this being sick all the time nonsense."

He nodded, keeping close.

"I'd really like that. I'll be a good boy too. I won't cry or nothin'."

"I know."

William smiled, giving a little nod. "Right!"

Jack grinned, picking him up. "Now… how about we get ourselves a snack, hm?"

"I think I can make some biscuits disappear."

"Atta boy!"

"To the kitchen!"

"And away we go! Make way for The Amazing William Carter!"

oooooo

Those were certainly simpler days.

Jack sighed a bit, stirring his drink on the table. It was a hot summer day in the bustling city that was New York. Jack crinkled his nose a bit at all the crowds. He had never been one for the busy cities. It always made him feel trapped.

Though San Francisco isn't as bad. Next time, I'm convincing William to come to my neck of the woods. Speaking of…

Jack scanned the crowds, eyelids lowering as he caught no sight of his younger brother.

Where is he? He's never late to meetings.

Jack glanced at his watch, noting it had been fifteen minutes since their assigned time to meet.

He should be coming soon. He's alright. I'm sure.

Though they were adults now, he would admit he would still worry about William. It's just how it was.

I think it's just something older brothers do.

Jack decided to get up, leaving some change on the table, going outside the cafe area. Scanning the crowds again.

He's not that hard to spot. He's easily taller than all these people.

Jack's irritation only grew as he caught no sight of him and the heat of the day certainly wasn't helping. He was about to retreat back into the cafe area when-

"CARTER!"

Jack's head snapped to the source of the voice. He knew it wasn't directed at him or least he was pretty sure it wasn't. But upon hearing his last name his eyes soon saw his brother running right past the cafe at top speed, two men following right after him.

"Don't let that Brit get away!" one of the men shouted.

"HEEEEEEELP!" William cried out between coughs, bolting further down the street.

Jack didn't waste any time giving chase after them.

Oh, they are going to PAY! No one attacks my little brother!

By the time he caught up to them, William was backed up against a wall.

"Please." He begged, coughing harder. "I'm sorry. I just need a little more time. I'll pay my debt I promise!"

"That's what you said last time, Carter." One of the men picked him up by the collar of his shirt. "And the time before that and the time before that. This is the last and final straw, William Carter. It's time you got a lesson in being more punctual. If you can't pay on time with cash, you can pay with your blood."

"N-No, wait-!"

THUNK!

William fell to the ground, holding his nose, crying out at the heat and sharpness he was feeling from the punch. He didn't have time to react as another fist hit him square on the jaw and a foot met with his stomach. He keeled over on the ground, holding his stomach and nose, his glasses now beside him, the lenses cracked. He could taste copper in his mouth.

"You going to pay up now?"

"I… I don't have it…" He murmured, just barely able to be heard, trembling in fear and pain, keeping his head down, bracing himself for another strike.

"Hmph. Then I'm afraid you'll have to endure more."

Just put me out of my misery.

"Oi! Leave him alone!"

The two men turned to Jack, one of them raising an eyebrow.

"And who are you to order US around, hm?"

Jack narrowed his eyes, approaching the two men, fists raised and ready.

"That man's older brother."

They scoffed at the sight of him. "Hmph. A scrawny brother to a scrawny liar. You want to take on his burden?"

William's head snapped up. "Jack no-!"

The one who had been beating up William reared his fist back, throwing a sharp punch at Jack's head.

Jack's' head snapped to the side. He was frozen in place for a moment but he soon turned his head back, showing a nice red bruise on his cheek. His blue eyes had a fire to them as he glared at the two men.

"Not bad." He smirked. "Now, how about you try this?" He grabbed the man's arm, pulling it hard and forcing it behind his back, causing him to cry out from the pressure. Jack growled before throwing him to the side, getting in front of William, glaring at the other man who was still standing. "Now, why don't you listen to the dear doctor and leave this poor man alone before I dislocate both your shoulders?"

The man swallowed hard. "W-We can't. Our boss is-is very adamant about getting the money that idiot owes-"

"Well then, why doesn't he come here himself? I would LOVE to have a chat with him and maybe solve all these problems. I'm sure he's not that far away. Am I right?"

The man nodded, finding himself very uncomfortable with how the situation had turned on him and his comrade. William was proving more trouble than he was worth in their eyes to get the money out of. "N-Not too far away a-at all. B-But I'm not telling the likes of you!"

"Hm… Well, I guess you'll just have to wear a brace for a month." Jack went to grab him. "I'm sworn to do no harm but I can make exceptions-"

"THE LOAN OFFICE NEARBY!" The man practically shrieked, recoiling back into the opposite wall. "M-Mr. Witherstone's loan office!"

"There's a good man. Bring him here and I can promise your shoulders will be perfectly healthy."

"Y-Yessir." He gulped before making a run for it.

"W-Wait for me!" the other man called, chasing after him, holding his shoulder.

"Hmph. Cowards." Jack rolled his eyes, looking to his brother.

William wouldn't meet his gaze, hissing in pain still. "Ngh… They sure don't hit like a coward."

Jack frowned.

"Will…"

Jack didn't get a chance to say anything else as the two men returned, another behind him. He was a tall man with a strong build. He wore a dark suit and tie and he held a cigar in his hand that was freshly lit, puffing smoke as he made his way down the alley way. He looked to Jack, eyes narrowed.

"Mr. Witherstone, I presume?" Jack asked. "Assuming your name would match the loan office the two cowards there mentioned?"

He took a puff off his cigar, a smirk coming to his face. "The one and only. Now, what can I do for you sir? Surely this is just a misunderstanding."

"I would appreciate if your men didn't beat my brother within an inch of his life over forgetting loan payments. Whatever he owes I'm sure I can pay for it."

"One thousand dollars. With interest."

William cringed. He didn't recall paying that much initially but with time debt piled up… and he did recall taking out more than one loan.

"That's quite the amount." Jack glanced at his brother, disappointment in his eyes. "I didn't think buying stage props was that expensive. You sure that's the right amount, sir?"

"Oh it is. He didn't tell you about the loans for his rent too? Typical. You would think he would learn."

William swallowed hard, lowering his head closer to the ground. He hated getting that look from Jack. It always meant that somewhere along the line he had screwed up - and this was one major screw up.

"I see. Hm… One thousand… Easily met." Jack smirked. "You'd be surprised how much doctors make."

One of the men walked up to Witherstone, whispering something to him. Jack raised an eyebrow.

"Something the matter?"

"Hm, seems my men mis-read the bills." Witherstone had a dark look come to his eyes. "Three thousand and not a penny less."

William let out an audible choking noise. Three thousand? That was impossible!

Jack wasn't phased, he just stared the man down.

"... You're lying."

"Am I? Are you accusing me, an honest man trying to make a living, of lying?" Witherstone gave an offended look. "The nerve!"

Jack held his gaze, his serious look not leaving… till a smile came to his face.

"Witherstone… That name… I've heard it before. Oh, now I remember." Jack let out a small laugh. "Do tell me, how's little Tabitha doing?"

The man's eyes grew wide in alarm. He looked Jack over as recognition came to his eyes.

"O-Oh, Dr. Carter. I-I didn't recognize you. She's well. Quite well in fact."

"Glad to hear it. I know it's been awhile but I sure hope her lungs have improved since then. It would be a real crying shame if I didn't get to have a follow up."

He nodded. "Ye-Yes. Name the time and date and she'll be there. I hope you wouldn't drop her as a patient because of a little misunderstanding. I'm sure we can sweep this all under the rug."

"I'll give her a free check up next month and I will send a thousand dollars your way and you forget this ever happened. Deal?"

"Deal."

They exchanged a brief handshake before Witherstone and his men hurried off, the brothers faintly hearing the man cuss his employees out.

It was quiet before William shakily got to his feet.

"W-Well… Th-Thank you for that. S-Shall we?" Please let this slide just ONCE-

Jack turned to his brother, his blue eyes cold.

"Everything's just dandy you said. Everything is going so well you said." Jack narrowed his eyes, crossings his arms. "William, what in the bloody world was THAT!? That is FAR from dandy!"

William flinched, crossing his arms, glancing at the ground. He didn't want to meet Jack's eyes. That look of disapproval.

"I… It was just… You wouldn't understand." He shook his head quickly. "It's over now so just drop it."

"Oh, this is far from over in regards to you and me." Jack gently grabbed William by the jaw, looking at his nose. "Better be glad about one thing. Looks like you just took a hard hit but the nose isn't broken. Can't say the same for your specs."

William pulled away, massaging his jaw.

"Stop looking at me!"

"William, you have a bloody nose, broken specs and a bruised jaw. It's hard for me not to."

The magician turned away, an annoyed look coming to his eyes.

"You don't have to treat me like I'm a sick little boy anymore-!" He snapped, eyes flashing. "Honestly, it's not as bad as it looks!"

Jack gave a flat look before poking his nose, earning a yelp from the man as he covered it quickly.

"Keep telling yourself that, Willy Boy."

William moved his head more out of reach, the annoyance fading to guilt.

"You shouldn't get involved. I don't want you getting into trouble too."

"My job as a brother is to look out for my sibling and right now, you need help." Jack narrowed his eyes. "We'll talk about this all later but for now. Apartment. I need to treat those injuries."

William nodded as he lead the way back to his apartment, his head hung low. He hated disappointing Jack and even more so he hated worrying him.

This is humiliating. I was supposed to be taking care of myself. Not needing to hide behind big brother's shadow again.

I really am just a kid.

They soon arrived at William's apartment, both being met by the sound of squeaking. Looking down, there was a gray and white rabbit at their feet, looking at them with eager black eyes.

"Well, who's this dashing young fellow?" Jack chuckled.

"Lady, actually, and her name is Judy."

"Ah. Show rabbit?"

William nodded, a small smile coming to his face. "My only rabbit." He picked her up, rubbing under her chin, earning a happy squeak. "There's my little girl. Daddy's home."

Jack smiled. "Cute. Now." Jack led him over to the couch, forcing him to sit before before rummaging around the apartment, coming back with a medical kit. "Let's get you fixed." Jack got straight to work, William gripping at the couch as he patched up the injuries.

"Ow… Ow… OW!"

"Just a little more." Jack said as he continued.

"I swear this is punishment!" William complained.

"You know I would never do that - then you'd never tell me if something was wrong."

"Ngh…"

Judy looked at her owner and his brother, sighing a bit at the exchange. Even she didn't seem amused with William at the trouble he got himself into.

"And finished." Jack put away the kit before handing William a pair of glasses "Found your spares."

"Thank you." He slipped them on, letting out a sigh of relief. "Seriously… Thank you."

"Anytime. Now." Jack sat back, crossing his arms. "What happened?"

William sighed, looking away from his brother.

"I've got all day."

"I… haven't been doing as well as I hoped. The initial loan was just for the props… but then I wasn't making enough and rent is so high here in New York. I had no choice. Then another loan after that because once again, not enough to feed myself and keep rent - and I was NOT going to ask our parents to fund me being out here. You know how Mum felt about the move."

Jack sighed, a frown crossing his face.

"I'm aware and now here we are. Oh William why didn't you say something? You know I could've helped you sooner."

William picked up Judy, keeping her close to him. "Jack, sometimes the things you say don't line up. I still remember you asking if I really needed those props."

Jack ran a hand through his hair.

"Okay, fair enough, but still, William this is serious."

William nodded, sighing heavily.

"I didn't want to be a burden. That's all I've been all my life. I couldn't do it again."

Jack shook his head.

"Willy Boy, you've never been a burden. Far from it. There's just somethings that couldn't be helped like your lungs or what not. I chose to help you in those times. That's not being a burden."

He smiled a little. "Big Brother…"

"And we're family. Family helps family when they're in a jam and I'm going to help you get back on your feet and we're going to start by tackling the root of the problem. Your occupation and before you say it, I'm not saying you should quit. I'm saying we need to improve it."

William let out a sigh of relief. "I know you would never tell me to quit and I'm really sorry for how I've been acting all day. This is just… so stressful." He looked at Judy. "They even threatened to butcher my poor rabbit here."

"How rude." Jack shook his head. "That aside, what's been happening at your performances? Where have you been performing? What are your audiences like?"

William cringed, lowering his head, keeping his eyes on Judy.

"... That bad?"

"Parlors, aristocrats who then start complaining because I'm not 'sophisticated' enough and I don't even get to perform for families either. The only children I see get dragged away by their nannies because apparently it's too good for them. And when I'm not up to their expectations I don't get paid - which I know is wrong, but I get so nervous."

"Hm…" Jack hummed in thought. "... You were always more relaxed when you performed for children and families back in England. Maybe you're shooting too big with the aristocrat parlors as a start. Maybe you should start small-... Wait. That's it!"

William raised an eyebrow. "What's it?"

"I just remembered. I met some nice folks over in California. They're a traveling circus that usually tours around the state, though this year they're doing a country wide tour and will be passing through here. They came to me because of some health issues some of their performers were having. They gave me a ticket that allows me to go to one of their shows for free but that aside, one of their performers mentioned they were looking for a replacement magician for their magic show. They'll be passing through here this week."

The man hummed in thought. A circus, could mean performing for families, people he preferred to be putting on his act for. No one would be able to deny him his payment either.

"... Where do I sign?"

Jack grinned.

"Leave that to me. I'll make a quick phone call and get you an interview arranged with the assistant, they're the one holding them since whoever the replacement is will be their partner."

"Sounds good to me. How about I make some lunch?"

"You do that, I'll call up the circus."

William nodded heading to his kitchen, leaving Judy with his brother.

A circus… Heh… That does sound a lot better. Plus, if Witherstone stops being afraid of Jack he can't track me down.

Jack looked to where his brother went before looking to Judy.

"I probably should've told him the assistant is a woman."

Judy squeaked, curling up on his lap, putting her head on her paws.

"Yeah, you're right. He needs to learn to interact with ladies more often."

Besides, it's hilarious when he gets tongue tied.

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

"Oh and you will have a wonderful assistant by your side too."

William blushed a little. "A… A lady?" He asked softly, fiddling with the brim of his hat a little. "L-Like a lady who'd like me?"

"Most certainly."

William blushed more.

"But I got a big nose and weird lips."

"So? She won't care. You'll be handsome to her in her eyes."

William was bright red now and put his hat on, trying to hide his face in it.

I love these cute moments in your stories ^_^

What condition does William have in his lungs? Or will that be revealed later on?

• Like 1

Just now, DragonMage156 said:

What condition does William have in his lungs? Or will that be revealed later on?

It's never stated specifically in story but William does have a form of asthma. Nothing super severe but the guy gets short of breath pretty easily if he's not careful.

Jack did help improve his lungs with his own methods. Methods we don't go into detail about because well, medical stuff gets messy and complicated. (And really gross depending what it is.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

It's never stated specifically in story but William does have a form of asthma. Nothing super severe but the guy gets short of breath pretty easily if he's not careful.

Jack did help improve his lungs with his own methods.

I think I remember reading that in the last chapters of Survive the Shadows. Jack mentioned him improving his lungs and Maxwell smoking cigars didn't help >_<

Least we'll see if he wakes up or not after these chapters (unless there's more tales to tell :p )

• Like 1

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 2

The Magician's Shadow Part 2

"Alright, perfect." Jack grinned as he fixed William's bow tie. "There, now you look presentable."

William rolled his eyes.

"Brother, I think that's enough adjustments. This is as good as it gets."

"I know, I know." Jack chuckled. "But you have to look as good as you can for interviews like this. Gotta make a good first impression." Jack pulled away from his brother, both continuing their walk down the street.

"If she doesn't run screaming at the sight of my nose." William remarked, fiddling with his tie further. "Or at the sound of my voice. Or-Or…"

"Oi, I regret mentioning it was a lady." Jack rolled his eyes. "Regardless, William, I promise Ms. Charlie is a nice girl."

"I believe you. I just wonder what's going on with HER to make her want to agree to meet with me."

"You make yourself sound like a troll under a bridge."

"No!"

"Then stop talking like that." Jack looked to the cafe that was coming in view, smiling as his eyes caught the sight of a young woman in a dark magenta coat and hat sitting at a table, looking over a menu. "And no backing out at this point." Jack got behind William, pushing him right into the cafe. "Ms. Charlie!"

The woman looked up from her menu, smiling when she caught sight of Jack.

"Ah! Dr. Carter! There you are!"

He waved, giving a grin. "Good to see you! Been well I hope?"

"I have." Charlie smiled before she looked to William. "Is this your brother?"

"Yes, yes." Jack grinned, pushing William over to her, the man stumbling a bit before stopping in front of her. "This is William Carter. Pardon him he gets nervous around new people so if he's quiet it's not you, it's him."

William swallowed hard as he stared at Charlie, stunned.

Charlie looked at him, giggling a bit before offering a hand to him.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Carter."

He took her hand. "Pl-Pleasure to meet you as well Ms. Charlie." He hesitated before giving her hand a brief kiss.

Jack grinned, backing off to let them have a moment. "I'll be getting something to eat. Don't make my brother vanish now."

JACK! DON'T ABANDON ME!

Charlie had a light blush cross her cheeks at William's gesture, another giggle escaping her.

"What a gentleman."

William gave a sheepish smile, a faint tint of red coming to his cheeks. "I do my best. Especially to someone so close to my brother."

"He's a very kind man." Charlie gave a gentle look. "And from what I can tell so far, so are you. Would you care to have lunch with me? We can talk about matters over food."

William nodded. "I'd love that. Actually, I've been to this cafe before. I love their desserts. Em sorry."

"What are you saying sorry for?" Charlie smiled, her amber eyes softening. "They have very fine desserts here. I love their chocolate cheesecake."

William's eyes lit up a little. "Well, what do you know? That's actually my favorite of theirs. Perhaps we should add that to our lunch?"

"That would be wonderful." Charlie giggled. "May we?"

"Of course! Oh! Um." He pulled out her chair for her. "Miss."

Charlie smiled again, sitting down.

"Thank you, Mr. Carter."

William nodded, pushing her chair in for her before taking a seat across from her. "Anytime, Ms. Charlie."

They soon had their food and started talking though much to William's embarrassment it was mainly Charlie who instigated conversation.

"So, you don't mind traveling too much or children?" Charlie asked between bites of her meal.

"Actually, I love traveling. I think it's exciting and as for children, I adore them." He smiled. "I have two nieces I definitely love spoiling and making them laugh."

"Glad to hear it." Charlie smiled. "Hm…" She looked up, thinking over a few things. "Well, your background checks out and we have your brother to vouch for it. You don't mind traveling, kids or crowds and you have a skill set that I would like to see later but other than that…" Charlie locked eyes with him, her eyes having a bit of a sparkle to them. "Would you like to have the honors of trying out our magician position?"

William's eyes lit up, feeling his heart beat faster. "I would be honored." He said without hesitation. "I would like nothing more."

"Then we have an agreement." Charlie giggled. "I look forward to working with you, Mr. Carter."

William smiled softly. "I look forward to it as well Ms. Charlie… And one more thing."

"Hm?"

"Please, call me William."

Charlie gave a playful grin.

"Then I look forward to working with you, William."

oooooo

"And this is the tent you will be staying in."

William looked around the area, taking everything in. It wasn't a very large place, but it was enough for two people. Two cots were set up, one of them currently occupied by someone lying on their side so William couldn't make much out of their face. Their side of the tent had two trunks set up. One was open, showing clothing contents, the other was closed and was being used as a table of sorts for a make up kit. The other side only had the cot and that was it.

"Not much for furniture so you'll have to make do with your trunk and such."

William nodded, looking to the man beside him.

"Nothing I can't handle, Mr. Abernethy. I'm just happy to have a chance."

Abernethy nodded in return.

"Parker and I will want to see a mock performance from you and Charlie later, but first, you practice with her so you have something to present. Get adjusted then report to me. Oh and get to know your bunkmate over there. He doesn't bite or talk for that matter but get acquainted with him since you'll be sharing a tent with him if you wind up traveling with us."

"Noted. Thank you again, Mr. Abernethy."

"You're welcome. Good day, Mr. Carter."

Abernethy left William to his devices. William looked to the sleeping man and decided not to wake him. He went to his side of the tent, setting his trunk beside his cot, placing Judy's cage on top of it. The rabbit was fast asleep, content in her little bed. William smiled, opening the cage, petting her behind the ears.

"A new start for you and me my little girl."

Judy sighed happily, nuzzling his hand. William pulled away gently, closing her cage before turning around. His green eyes met with dark brown eyes.

"WAH!"

THUD!

He fell flat on his cot, looking up a the person before him. It was actually someone who was considerably shorter than him. A young man with messy black hair and dark eyes to match. The most notable thing about him though was the make up he had on. Mime make up to be exact.

Oh… I guess that's what Mr. Abernethy meant by he doesn't talk. He probably literally doesn't talk at all.

"U-U-Uh hello there."

The mime gave an apologetic look, making a sign with his hands.

"Um… I'm guessing that means sorry and it's alright, I just didn't expect it. I-I hope I didn't wake you."

The mime shook his head.

"Oh good… Em… Nice to meet you. I'm William Carter. I'm your possible bunk mate if I'm chosen for the position."

The mime smiled, giving a bow before handing a slip of paper to him. William took it, reading it quickly.

"Wes. That's your name?"

The mime nodded.

"Well, nice to meet you, Wes."

Wes smiled giving a nod in return.

William smiled. "I hope we can get along. I hope to wind up working with all of you after this."

Wes nodded again, making more signs with his hands.

William held a hand up.

"I don't mean to be rude but I can't understand a single thing you're trying to communicate with your hands. That's… sign language, isn't it?"

Wes nodded.

"Okay. I sadly don't know it. I've only heard of it because of my brother. Jack has worked with deaf people before and has seen it in action. But back on subject, I just… don't know any."

Wes gave a gentle look before handing over another slip of paper.

William looked at it.

"I could teach you if you like."

"Really?"

Wes grinned, giving a thumbs up.

William smiled. "Then consider me your faithful student."

The mime rubbed his hands together, getting a sneaky look on his face.

"Oi, Wessy!"

Both looked to see a young woman at the entrance of the tent. She had matted red hair and a freckled face. Her light brown eyes seemed to have a spark to them as she looked at the two men.

"Aye! This is your new bunk mate?"

Wes nodded, hurrying over to the woman, hugging her. Wigfrid returned the gesture, looking to William.

"You must be the man Charlie mentioned. I'm Wigfrid."

William nodded, holding out a hand which she gladly shook. "Yes, I'm William Carter, it's a pleasure to meet you. Wes was just introducing himself to me."

"Glad to hear it. Hope he hasn't been playing tricks."

Wes gave an innocent look in response to that.

"No no. He was just trying to teach me his language."

"Aye, you'll pick it up in time. I learned pretty fast. As did Charlie and Wolfgang."

"Wolfgang?"

"He's our strong man. You'll probably bump into him at some point along with the others in our circus. He's one of the few one man shows. Wes and I are part of groups. The mime troupe and the flight of the valkyrie."

"Noted. I look forward to meeting him." He rubbed the back of his neck. "How judgemental are Mr. Abernathy and Parker when it comes to newcomers?"

"Depends on your act and attitude. They expect us to make people laugh so if you can do that, you'll be fine."

"I think I can accomplish that."

"Then you have nothing to worry over." Wigfrid gave a small threatening look though. "But one thing I will make clear. Treat Charlie nicely or feel the wrath of the Valhalla. Am I clear?"

William gulped, giving a quick nod, some fear coming to his eyes. "I would never mistreat a lady! May my brother strike me down if I ever did!"

"Good, then you'll be just fine with me, Wes and Wolfgang because she means a lot to us. Speaking of, I believe she's waiting for you in the big performance tent for practice. Good luck." Wigfrid looked to Wes. "Now you, my silent friend, I believe you and I have some meat stew to make together."

Wes grinned, bringing an arm around her as she did the same, both heading out, leaving William all by himself.

"Lively folks…" He muttered to himself, grabbing his props, taking Judy out of her cage, waking her from her sleep. "Time to wake up, Judy. We got work to do."

Judy yawned, nodding a bit before hopping into his hat.

"Good girl."

William grabbed the rest of his materials before heading out of the tent, heading straight to the performance tent. Sure enough, there was Charlie standing on a small stage waiting patiently.

"There you are." Charlie gave a warm look. "Was wondering when you'd be ready."

"S-Sorry." William grinned sheepishly. "Was just getting settled in my tent and getting acquainted with my bunk mate, Wes and his friend Wigfrid."

"Ah those two." Charlie giggled. "Dear friends of mine. I hope they weren't too brash."

"N-Not at all."

"Good." Charlie gestured to the space beside her. "Would you care to show me what you can do?"

"R-Right away." William hurried on to the stage, setting his props down. "U-Um where should I start?"

"Well what's your favorite trick?" Charlie asked. "Rabbit out of the hat? Infinite scarves?"

"Well…" William picked up his hat. "I think you should probably meet my little girl first." William stuck his hand in, pretending he was searching around before pulling Judy out. "Charlie, this is Judy."

She squealed a little at the sight of the rabbit. "Aww! She's adorable!"

Judy gave a small squeak. Charlie looked to William. "Can I pet her?"

"By all means. She loves cuddles."

She nodded, petting the rabbit gently, Judy practically falling out of William's hands trying to get closer. "Aww!"

"C-Careful now." William handed her to Charlie. "Here, you can hold her."

Charlie held her carefully, cradling her somewhat. "So soft and such a good girl." Judy let out a small yawn, nuzzling against Charlie, eyes closing. Out like a light within moments. Charlie smiled softly, continuing to pet her.

"Looks like she's still tired from the trip we had to make this morning." William rubbed the back of his neck. "Jack and I spent all week getting my apartment cleaned out."

"I can imagine. I'm always sleepy after a long travel and you had to do some coaxing I bet to make sure she wasn't scared."

"As gentle as I could. I didn't want her stressed out or afraid. I hate caging her up but she needs to be for right now."

"Understandable. I'll help however I can then."

William smiled warmly. "I'd like that. Shall we begin then?"

"Yes!"

oooooo

"And voila-AH!" William flailed a bit as the scarves from his sleeves came undone as Charlie pulled them out, the man falling flat on his back on the stage. "Uh…" He swallowed hard, looking Abernethy and Parker.

The two men were cracking up at the little blunder of his.

"Oh haha! Nicely done!"

"Better than being angry over it!"

Charlie offered William a hand up that he took. "Ehehe?" He gave a quick bow feeling heat rush to his face. It was still embarrassing regardless.

"I think that'll work just fine." Parker applauded. "I'm sure the children will be very amused. But do try to brush a bit so you're not constantly tripping."

"Y-Yes sir."

"Then it's settled." Abernethy stood up, dusting himself off. "Ms. Charlie, you have yourself a magician."

Charlie grinned. "Thank you very much." She turned to the magician giving a bow of her own. "I look forward to many shows together." She gave a warm look.

William blushed returning it quickly. "S-Same to you Ms. Charlie."

Parker chuckled.

"I'm sure you'll just do just fine." Parker glanced to Abernethy. "So long as he's nothing like Liam."

"Who?" William looked to them.

"Oh, he was our original magician. You don't need to worry yourself with him though. We're no longer associated with him." Parker gave a wave. "Just focus on now. We have a show this week so prepare yourself."

William nodded to them as they left before looking to Charlie, seeing she had a bit of an uncomfortable look on her face.

"Are you alright, Ms. Charlie?"

She nodded fiddling with her gloves a bit. "I'm fine. I… I'm going to go get something to eat. I'll see you later?"

"Y-Yes of course. See you."

She hurried off as he watched on with a frown concern coming over him.

Doesn't sound like someone has pleasant memories. Hopefully I can do better for her.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

JACK! DON'T ABANDON ME!

Just like when a friend leaves you along with a stranger XD

16 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

flight of the valkyrie.

I'd love to see that act ^_^

As for the chapter overall, it's nice to see Wes, Wigfrid and Wolfgang again. Nice how it ties into Survive the Shadows, as to be expected ^_^

• Like 1

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 3

The Magician's Shadow Part 3

The days passed by quickly as the night of William's first show in the circus drew closer. Before he knew it, he was in the standby area, waiting for him and Charlie to be announced. He decided he wanted to step outside for a minute, needing some fresh air. His hands wouldn't stop trembling and it was driving him mad.

"Calm down. This is nothing. This is different than the parlors. There will be kids this time. Families… and… and they shouldn't laugh at me in a cruel manner. They'll laugh in an entertained manner… I hope. I think." William put his face in his hands. "Oh for heaven's sake why am I lying to myself? I'm a nervous wreck!"

"Magician Man nervous?"

William gasped, looking to the side of him to see a muscular man with a thick mustache standing not too far from him.

"O-Oh. Um… Hello. Wolfgang, was it?"

"Oui."

"Noted… Um… Yes… I… I admit I'm not exactly confident in… well doing a perfect performance on my first try. I … I enjoy performing for others but sometimes I just… I just choke and get so scared. Scared of being laughed at or looking like a fool because I'm not like other magicians. I'm so scared of failing after all the failure I've put up with already."

"Magician Man." Wolfgang walked over to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Failure is something you should not fear. It should be something you should welcome."

"H-Huh?"

The strong man gave a small grin.

"Little secret. I used to be a very scrawny strong man and a bit shy too. When I first joined this circus, I barely knew any English. I had come all the way from France and knew nothing of the English save a few words to get my point across. I came off as dumb to some and a fool for thinking I could be a strong man with my stature." Wolfgang chuckled a bit. "And I guess I was making a fool of myself with my small talk and scrawny build in front of crowds, but I used those failures as a way to want to strive to be better. I worked hard to become stronger and with help from Wigfrid, Wes, Charlie and all the kind circus folks I learned to speak English much better, even if only a select few could understand me entirely, they never gave up on me." Wolfgang patted his back. "And I'm sure, they won't give up on you. Especially Charlie. So, don't be afraid of failure. Look at it as an opportunity to become stronger and better. Do you understand, Magician Man?"

William nodded, relaxing his shoulders a little. "I do. Thank you for that, Wolfgang. I feel better about this." He took a deep breath. "I can do this. Even if I screw up I'll just use it as part of the performance."

"Very good, my friend." Wolfgang gave him another pat on the back. "Hehe and after tonight's performance Wes and Wigfrid will be making dinner so you have something to look forward to."

"Oh the dynamic duo's special. I'm looking forward to that quite a bit."

"As am I. I know Wes will be making my favorite. Frog leg sandwich. I haven't had any in awhile so I'm looking forward to that."

"I'm quite fond of carrot anything so I heard Wigfrid will be making a vegetable and meat stew. I'm honestly excited to see how it compares to my brother's wife's stew. She has some standards to live up to." William grinned.

"I'm sure it will be great."

"William?"

William and Wolfgang looked to the entrance of the tent to see Charlie poking her head out.

"We're up. Are you ready?"

"Yes." William nodded, picking up his hat, putting it on. He looked to Wolfgang, giving a smile. "Thank you for the advice, Wolfgang."

Wolfgang nodded, giving him a pat on the back.

"Knock them dead, Magician Man."

William grinned, laughing a little before joining Charlie's side, both making their way for the performance tent.

"He surprised me." William whispered to Charlie. "He's probably the kindest strong man I've ever met. Well he's only strong man I've ever met but still, I wasn't expecting someone like that."

Charlie giggled a bit. "Wolfgang appears scary and menacing but he's really just a big teddy bear. He's a kind man with a heart larger than life. I'm not surprised he warmed up to you - you're also bunking with his best friend Wes. Those two are as thick as thieves."

"Just taking a guess here, but is Wes also from France? Not trying to imply anything just… I would think with their common interest in frog legs and Wolfgang mentioning there were only a few who could understand French."

"You're right about that actually. Wes is from France as well, though he's mute - it's not just his code of being a mime. While he understands French perfectly and can jot down translations he just can't speak it."

"Oh… That's… Kind of sad. It never crossed my mind that he was already mute to begin with."

Charlie's gaze softened. "Not many people do but Wes makes it work. It doesn't bother him since that's all he's known. People have asked at least here in the circus if he'd want a voice but he just brushes it off. He has his way. Especially with his personality."

"As far as I can tell he's very kind too. I woke up one morning and found a note from him saying to do my best at practice. He even left carrots for Judy."

Charlie smiled softly. "That's Wes for you. He loves making everyone smile and feel good about themselves. He even sneaks bananas to the monkeys and helped me find a necklace of mine when I thought I lost it."

"A mime who enjoys spreading happiness through actions. Sounds fitting."

"That's our Wes. Hehe, even brings out Wigfrid's soft side."

"As I noticed.. Are they…?"

Charlie gave a grin. "They don't publicly announce it but yes."

"I see. I'm curious about Wigfrid herself."

"You can find that out later. For now." Charlie looked to the stage waiting for them. "We have an audience waiting for us."

William nodded, looking to where Parker was, the man grinning as he saw the two waiting for their cue.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for our next act, our newest addition to this circus." Parker announced to the audience. "Feast your eyes on the amazing illusions of the one, the only, The Amazing William Carter and his lovely assistant, Charlie!"

The crowd applauded as the two took to the stage. Charlie gave a sweeping bow, William quickly following suit.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Allow me to mesmerize and entertain!" William called out feeling some confidence rush up. He scanned the crowd with his eyes, spotting his brother in the crowd. He relaxed more, feeling like he could do this. Jack's watching. I gotta do my best here. He got me this job. "And with my lovely assistant, Ms. Charlie!"

Charlie waved, giving another bow.

"What shall we do, Mr. Carter?"

"Hm… Well, let's see if our little friend would like to come out and play." William tipped his hat off. "Would you mind?"

"Not at all!" Charlie took the hat, holding it up for him.

William grinned, reaching his arm in.

"Hm… Now where did that little trouble make go- Oh!" William pulled his arm around, revealing Judy in his hand. "There she is!"

Judy looked to the crowds, squeaking a bit, letting out a yawn.

"Looks like someone was napping in my hat again."

The crowd clapped, a few people laughing, several children letting out squeals.

"And seems you've charmed the crowd little lady."

Judy squeaked, letting out another yawn.

William chuckled, setting her down on a table, giving her a carrot.

"Now don't running away now-"

The table started moving around the stage.

"Oh my!"

Judy let out a squeak, holding her head up proudly.

"Seems she's decided she's up for a joy ride!" Charlie remarked as the crowd snickered.

"Indeed, indeed." William brought a hand to his chin, before pulling it away, looking at the scarves that were sticking out of his sleeve. "Oh dear, seems I have something in my sleeve here. Ms. Charlie?" William held out his arm to her.

Charlie giggled, grabbing on to the first scarf, pulling it out as more followed.

"Goodness, where did all these come from?"'

"Your guess is as good as mine-" one of the scarves came undone as William's back met with the stage floor. "OOF!"

Charlie grinned tugging hard on the scarf William was still holding onto yanking him right back onto his feet. "I got your back Mr. Carter!"

"Why thank you my dear! I suppose I fell for your good looks." He felt heat rush to his face. Wait, did I just say that out loud!?

Charlie blushed a bit, quickly hiding it with a giggle.

"Such a charmer, isn't he ladies and gentlemen?"

The crowd cheered, some laughter mixed in as well.

William grinned giving a bow.

"Thank you, thank you, you are far too kind!"

"Is there anything else you would like to share with us, Mr. Carter." Charlie smiled.

"Well." William dug around in his other sleeve before producing a rose. "A thank you, to my wonderful assistant for helping me with this show and being able to come here."

Charlie blushed, taking the rose into her hands, a small grin on her face. "Why thank you."

The crowd let out an audible "aww" at the sight of the two.

"GO WILLIAM!" Jack was heard cheering as the magician blushed.

Oh Jack. Always supportive in his own ways.

William gave another bow.

"And that is all for tonight, ladies and gentlemen. I shall return with more illusions in the future."

The audience clapped, cheering for them as the two left the stage.

"William that was great!" Charlie squealed a little bit. "You were a natural!"

William blushed, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Y-You really think so?"

"Yes!" Charlie grinned widely before throwing her arms around him. "You did wonderful! I haven't felt that happy on stage for a long time!"

He felt a grin come to his face, bringing his arms around her, spinning her a bit. "That means a lot to hear Charlie- Em Ms. Charlie."

Charlie sighed happily.

"Charlie is fine, William."

William smiled warmly. "Charlie it is."

Goodness she's adorable… and I made her so happy.

"Ayeeee! You two were wonderful up there!"

Wigfrid came rushing over to them with Wolfgang and Wes right behind her.

"Charlie, I can't remember the last time I saw you smiling that much on stage. You were glowing up there with William!"

She giggled. "I couldn't help it. I was having so much fun. William's wonderful to work with!"

"Ehehe? I try my best."

"See, Magician Man? Nothing to it."

William smiled gently.

"Thank you, Wolfgang."

Wes gave a thumbs up before making a sign with his hands, bringing a hand to his mouth.

"Aye, agreed, Wes! We are all finished. I believe it's time to celebrate. We shall feast like we were in Valhalla!"

"That sounds wonderful. I'm starving." William laughed. "I was getting a little jealous of Judy with her carrot!"

"Well you'll have better than rabbit food!"

"Come on then!" Wigfrid ran off, the others following behind.

Charlie giggled, taking one of William's hand in hers.

"I really did I have a wonderful time up there, William. Thank you so much."

He smiled squeezing her hand gently.

"The pleasure is all mine, Charlie. That was the best performance I've given thus far. Before it was all stuffy parlors and cruel laughs."

"Well, it'll be different from this moment from now on."

"Can agree… and I hope we have many more wonderful shows together."

"I'm sure we will." Charlie moved a little closer to him. "We just have to always give our best."

William huddled a bit closer to her. "And I think we can do that just fine."

"That we can."

• Like 2

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 4

The Magician's Shadow Part 4

William sighed as he got his trunk ready. It had been six months since he had joined the circus and while there had been many good performances, there were several bad ones. Ones that kept sticking out in his mind and unfortunately affecting his performances as well.

The circus was packing up to head to it's next route - California and William decided he would take a separate train and to take some time off as well. He needed something to get his mind off of things and Jack had opened up his home for him.

"Don't worry about the number of performances. Your mental health is important too, Brother. Besides, Wendy and Abi miss their dear uncle. You wouldn't want to make them sad would you?"

I'll be home soon, Brother. Goodness it's been so long since I've seen him.

"William?"

He looked to see Charlie poking her head into his tent, a sad smile on her face. "You sure I can't talk you into coming with us?"

He gave an apologetic look. "As tempting as that is Charlie I really have missed my brother and his family. It's really in the best interests of everyone - though I do have quite the favor to ask of you."

She gave a curious look coming over to him. "What is it?"

"I don't want her to get stressed out during the trip and she absolutely HATES train rides. She only really behaves for me and you so…" He held up Judy's cage, containing one very irritated rabbit. "Could you watch over her for me while I'm gone? I don't want her to be ignored and I don't want her having to get used to one place only to get jumbled about again - it'll only be two weeks."

Charlie gave a gentle look, taking the cage into her hands.

"Consider it done. You know I'd always help you."

William smiled, giving a grateful look.

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Judy, behave for Charlie now - no trying to get out of that cage."

Judy gave a sad squeak, lowering her head onto her paws, looking up at him with a pleading look.

"Don't make me feel bad please. I already hate leaving you."

She closed her eyes, squeaking, turning away from him with a sigh.

William shook his head "I swear she's a teenager."

"She just loves you." Charlie set the cage down before giving William a hug. "Please be safe and I'll see you in two weeks."

William hugged her in return.

"I'll see you then. Keep Wes, Wigfrid and Wolfgang out of trouble for me."

Charlie tightened her hug.

"Will do."

William frowned a bit at this, bringing her closer.

"Charlie, it'll be fine. It won't be that long. I'll be back before you know it."

"I know." She laid her head on his shoulder. "I'm just going to miss talking to you every day. You're one of my favorite people here."

"Charlie…"

"How about this? When you arrive in California, bring me a rose. Deal?"

"Deal. And when I do, you have to wear that rose in your hair."

She grinned. "It's a promise."

William smiled before pulling away, grabbing his luggage.

"I better get going now or I'll miss my train."

Charlie nodded, hesitating a bit before grabbing his hand.

"One last thing, William."

"Hm?"

Charlie smiled gently before kissing his cheek.

"For luck."

William got a silly grin on his face before kissing hers in return. "For luck."

Charlie smiled before pulling away, waving goodbye as William made his way out.

Please be safe.

oooooo

"All aboard Sunset Lines no. 702! Nonstop travel to San Francisco!"

William hurried to the platform, dragging his trunk behind him.

"Please don't leave yet, please don't leave yet!"

The conductor looked to him, waving him over.

"Just in time sir. We were just about to pull out. Ticket please."

William dug into his pocket, presenting the ticket shakily to the man.

"H-Here it is."

The conductor looked at it, punching a hole in it before handing it back to him.

"Welcome aboard."

William nodded before hurrying into the train cart. As he looked for a place to sit, the cart rattled a bit as the train rolled into motion. William's eyes darted around the cart, doing his best to keep his balance. The cart was packed, no empty seats to be found.

"Sir?"

William jumped, looking to to his right, seeing an older looking man standing up from his seat.

"Y-Yes?" William said.

The man moved out of his seat, gesturing to it.

"You look worn out. How about you have my seat?"

William's eyes widened.

"B-But sir, you were here first. I-I should just-"

"No. No. I insist." The man smiled, taking William's trunk, storing it in the compartment above. "Please. I can just find another seat."

William was stunned. He couldn't help but take another look at the man's appearance.

He was certainly much older than he was, least, judging by the wrinkles he could see on the man's face. The brownish red strands of hair on his head were barely noticeable with all the grey strands in it. The only thing that didn't match the elderly look was the man's stature. He was lanky yet not scrawny. He stood tall, no sign of slouching whatsoever, his pale green eyes looking right at William's.

"A-Are you sure?

"I am." The man moved aside, giving William a gentle push to the seat. "Like I said, I can just find a different seat or just stand if I need to."

William looked to the man before looking to the seat then back to the man again, giving a smile.

"T-Thank you sir."

"You're welcome." The man nodded, returning the smile with his own, offering a hand to shake. "Lorcan Umbra."

William took it, giving it a small shake.

"W-William Carter."

"Strong name. Where are you headed?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Visiting my family in Corona and then onto San Francisco for work."

"I see. Well, safe travels to you, William Carter."

Lorcan gave a small bow before heading to the back of cart, leaving William in his seat.

That was certainly odd... But I guess I shouldn't complain.

William couldn't help but look over his shoulder, seeing Lorcan was in the very back now, sitting by himself, gazing out the window, deep in thought about something.

He shrugged to himself, taking a book out of his bag. I shouldn't stare but something seems off about that man. I can't put my finger on it.

William shook his head, deciding to focus on his book for a minute before gazing out the window, watching as the vast cityscapes started to fade into the rolling fields of the countryside.

Maybe getting out of the city is just what I need… just… no noise. Just… calm… peace.

"Mommy! Mommy look! That man's dressed like a magician! He even has a top hat!"

William looked up, seeing a young girl was pointing at him, stars in her bright blue eyes.

"I see him sweetie but not too loud. He's probably tired."

"Aww but you said when we took our trip we'd get to see a magician." The girl pouted.

William gave a gentle look, searching his sleeves before pulling out a fake rose, offering it to the little girl.

"H-Here you go, little miss."

She squealed, taking it, a bright smile coming to her face. "Thank you so much!"

William smiled, nodding.

"You're welcome."

"Thank you so much sir. I apologize about my daughter. She just loves magic shows."

"I-It's no trouble ma'am." William rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm part of a circus so I-I-I'm used to working with children."

The mother smiled giving a nod. "Still, appreciate it. Which circus is it? We're heading to San Francisco."

"Abernethy and Parker's Circus."

"That's the circus we're seeing Mommy!" The girl squealed a bit. "So we'll be able to watch you when they come in?"

William nodded.

"Yes. I'm just taking a small trip to visit family before then."

"Maybe we'll see you then when we're still in town."

"Yeah!"

William chuckled, looking to the side.

"W-W-Well I hope I can be amusing."

The conversation faded off as the train ride continued. William kept to himself, dozing off here and there. It proved hard to sleep though as they made their way through a desert terrain.

"Guh… Hot…" William loosened his collar a little, taking off his top hat. "Hope this doesn't last too long…"

"Ooo…"

William looked down, seeing the little girl had moved from her seat and was now looking at his top hat.

"Do you really pull things out of it? Not just a trick?"

He smiled gently, waving his hand over it before producing a small scarf from within it, offering it to her.

"A magician never reveals his secrets little miss."

The girl squealed, taking the scarf into her hands.

"Amazing!"

"Tabitha, back in your seat, please!" Her mother said, grabbing the girl's hand. "It's not safe to get up in a moving train."

"But I wanted to see the magician's top hat, Mommy! Look!" she held up the scarf. "He pulled this out for me!"

Her gaze softened. "I can see that sweetheart. I just don't want you getting roughed up - Dr. Carter would have a fit if he heard you got hurt after getting over being sick."

"I know..."

Dr. Carter? William's eyes got wide. Tabitha… I've heard that name before but where-

SCREEEEEEEEECH!

The cart lurched at the sound of screeching breaks, everyone in their seats being thrown forward. William dove out of his seat, bringing his arms around Tabitha, keeping the girl from hitting her head, his own head meeting with the back of one of the seats.

William's cried out a bit, doing what he could to keep Tabitha safe. His ears were ringing, his heart about ready to pound its way out of his chest. The breaks were still sounding off… least it sounded like breaks. The cart was lurching and shaking, luggage falling from compartments. People were screaming

William couldn't bring himself to cry out again. He just watched as the world around him started to go dark. He felt something warm trickling down the side of his face, his sight going blurry. His glasses were cracked. Tabitha wasn't in his arms anymore. He could still hear the screaming till finally a resounding metal crunch silenced it all and everything went black.

oooooo

"William."

"Mgh…"

"William. Open your eyes."

William opened his eyes slowly. His vision was blurry. His body was hot as if it was burning. The ground beneath him was hard, hot and sticky.

He groaned, his eyes squinting at sunlight above him.

"William."

He looked to the source of the voice, seeing the silhouette of a man standing above him. His vision cleared, eyes widening as he recognized who it was.

It was Lorcan. The man had a gash on the left side of his forehead, his suit he had on was torn in some areas and other areas of injury were visible due to the blood staining his attire.

William gasped a little, trying to sit up, crying out as he felt pain shoot through his body. "AUGH! W-What… W-What happened?"

"It would seem there has been a terrible accident with a circus wagon."

"Mgh…" William looked down at himself, cringing at seeing how roughed up he was. There were cuts on him, blood was staining his suit. "T-The girl… Is the child I was holding onto okay?" I don't care if she was Witherstone's kid, I don't want people to die.

"She's alive and well. You were the only one who suffered the most out of the lot. You were thrown quite a ways away from the train, you're injured majorly, you've hit your head and you're overheating from the scorching sun."

He brought a hand to his head as his body seemed to remember this as he felt dizzy. "Mgh… Thank you. Thank you sir for saving my life."

"I don't believe you have anything to thank me for. You're alive by your own will but I don't think it would be wise to leave you here. After all, seems the others have given up already on trying to find you due to wild animals and the heat. Pheh, cowards." Lorcan approached him, lifting William onto his back.

"They…" William coughed a little. "Left me for dead? Really…?"

"With the conditions, they just assumed you would already be dead. Yet they never thought to consider the small chance you would be alive, but I did."

"Appreciate it… How… How could I repay you…?"

"Don't die and take care of your body. That's all I ask."

He nodded, his head slumping against Lorcan's shoulder.

"Deal." He whispered.

"Rest. I'll handle the rest."

William closed his eyes just as shadow hands came around the two, vanishing from sight.

• Like 3

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 5

The Magician's Shadow Part 5

It was late at night when Jack heard a rapid knocking at the door of his home. He got up quickly, answering it, eyes going a bit wide as he met with Charlie on the other side, another woman beside her. Tears were streaming down her face, the woman beside her keeping an arm around her, trying to calm her.

"Charlie?" Jack frowned, his deep blue eyes having worry enter into them. "What's the matter?"

Charlie sniffled, looking up at him with sadness in her eyes.

"You didn't hear…? Jack… I… It's about William…"

Jack's eyes widened.

"I've been busy all day with files and patients and wasn't thinking about William since he wouldn't be pulling in till tomorrow. What… What happened?"

Charlie opened her mouth before closing it as a sob escaped her.

"He… He…"

The woman with her frowned, looking to Jack. "There was an accident. The train he was on crashed. They…. They think he might be dead sir."

Jack went pale.

"W-What….?"

"They tried to find him but… but… they… they presumed him dead due to circumstances and… and…" Charlie threw herself into the woman beside her, sobbing. "Oh Jenny why did it have to be him!?"

Jenny frowned, keeping her close. "Oh, Sis."

"IT'S NOT FAIR!"

Jack brought a hand to his mouth, feeling tears sting his eyes. His little brother. The person he had spent his entire life trying to keep safe.

Gone.

Just like that.

"Dr. Carter…?"

Jack turned away, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Please, make yourselves at home. I... I need to make some phone calls."

"Thank you. C'mon Charlie." Jenny bowed her head to him in respect, leading her sister into the living room. Charlie practically collapsed on the couch. "Sis, c'mere."

"Not fair. It's not fair."

Jenny sighed, sitting beside her, bringing her sister's head into her lap, stroking her hair.

"I'm so sorry. I know he meant a lot to you Charlie. Considering he was a major difference from that jerk from before."

Charlie closed her eyes, letting out a shaky sigh.

"He made me feel like I was special. Like I meant something more than just being a pretty face."

"I know, Sister. I know." Jenny frowned, continuing to stroke her hair. "I know it hurts. I'm so sorry."

"William…"

Jenny looked off to where Jack had gone to. He was on the phone, frantically talking to someone. She couldn't make out anything though since he was talking rather fast.

"Poor man." She whispered, looking down to her sister, sighing. "We'll get through this, Sis."

Charlie nodded, sniffling a little, closing her eyes.

"Jen… Thank you."

"Anytime."

oooooo

"William."

William groaned as he opened his eyes, seeing Lorcan looking over him, the man now properly treated but he looked exhausted.

"Ah, you awaken."

"Mgh… Lorcan…? We… We made it…?" He asked, coughing a bit. "Where…?"

"We're in a small hospital a few miles out from California. They thankfully took us both in without a second thought."

"That's good…" William gave a concerned look. "You look exhausted. When was the last time you slept?"

Lorcan let out a small yawn. "Doesn't matter. My injuries were minor compared to yours."

"I-I see…. How… How long have I been out?"

"A few days. You were exhausted."

"I still feel exhausted. I don't want to sleep though." He sighed, looking up at the ceiling. "I need to contact my family. Oh Jack is going to have a fit when he gets an eyeful of this."

"Probably wise. The news has been… well… livid about what happened."

He frowned. "How so?"

Lorcan grabbed a piece of newspaper off the table next to William's bed, handing it to him.

"See for yourself."

William took it, looking at it, his eyes widening as a particular line caught his attention.

"Dozens of passengers were injured and at least one man is missing." He scanned over the lines, his skin paling at the last part. "Given the remoteness of the crash site, the scorching desert sun and the escaped animals, the missing man has been presumed dead."

"W-Why…? Why did they abandon me…?" He looked away before reading it over once more, his disbelief growing. "Why…?"

"Cowards. I told you."

"Oh… Go-" William bit his lip. "Knowing Jack he… he probably thinks… Oh and Charlie…" William brought his hands to his face.

"You might want to give it a bit to let the media storm die down a touch. Journalists love drama. Heal. then get in contact."

"B-But they're… They need to know-"

Lorcan put a hand on his shoulder.

"How about we send a postcard then? Will that calm your mind? Not like we can get a phone in here anyway."

William bit his lip, giving a nod. He hated to admit it but the man was right. He couldn't phone home even if he wanted to.

"Then we'll do just that. Right now, panicking isn't good for your body. I promise things will be alright. We just need to be calm and collected. Understand?"

"Y-Yes…"

"Good. Now, let's get to work, Pal."

oooooo

"Daddy! Daddy!"

Wendy came running into her father's study, waving a postcard in her hands, her sister right behind her.

Jack looked up from his papers, looking to his twin daughters.

"What is it girls?"

"There's a postcard for you." Abigail chirped, a grin coming to her face. "And it says it's from Uncle William!"

"Yeah, yeah!"

Jack's eyes got wide as he stood up from his desk.

"What!?"

Wendy held out the postcard to her father as he took it, reading it over.

Dear Jack,

I am so sorry that this was the only way I could contact you. The hospital I'm at doesn't have phones in their patient rooms. I'm alive but on the mend and won't be able to leave for a few more weeks at best. Please, please give my regards to Charlie. I can't imagine the pain this trouble I got into caused you and for that I give my sincerest apologies. I love you all so much and would never do it intentionally.

The hospital is called Hope Hospital. I've included the phone number on the back.

- William Carter

Jack had tears in his eyes as he finished reading the card.

"He's alive… Oh thanks heavens he's alive!"

"Are you happy, Daddy?" Wendy asked, hopeful.

Jack looked to his daughters, bringing them both into his arms.

"I am very very VERY happy, my little girls. My brother… Oh… Nothing could compare to knowing he's really okay despite what others have said. Oh and Charlie will be able to smile again."

The twins sighed happily, cuddling up to their father. "Good." Wendy kissed his cheek. "We didn't like seeing you guys so sad."

"And we'll be able to play with Uncle Will again!" Abigail cheered.

Jack smiled, kissing their heads.

"That's right my girls. Everything's going to be just fine."

My little brother's alive. Thank goodness.

Now… I have a hospital to call… and possibly idiots to yell at.

oooooo

"I guess I'll never see you again?"

William was standing at the platform, ready to board the train in front of him, Lorcan standing behind him, a pleasant smile on his face.

"It might but fate has a strange way of working if you ask me. After all, fate decreed that I would save your life."

"True… But still…"

"Maybe I'll come see one of your shows, considering I have way too much time on my hands constantly."

William smiled, giving a nod. "I'd like that a lot. Thank you again for everything Lorcan." He offered a handshake. "Safe travels to you."

Lorcan shook his hand.

"And safe travels to you too."

William waved goodbye before getting on the train, watching as Lorcan disappeared from sight. William did his best to relax in his seat, minding his healing injuries, making sure the bandage on his head wasn't slipping off.

Jack is not going to be amused.

William drifted off, soon awakening to the sound of the conductor announcing they were at their destination. He got up, making his way out to the platform with the other passengers.

He scanned the crowds carefully, looking for any sign of his brother or Charlie.

"William!"

He looked to where the voice came from, seeing Charlie running straight for him. He braced himself for a slap or to be yelled at… Instead, he felt her arms wrap around him instead.

"Oh thank heavens, it's you!"

William's face turned a little red, blinking a few times before bringing his arms around her.

"C-Charlie…"

She looked up at him, relief in her eyes. "I'm so glad to see you." She frowned a little, seeing his injuries. "Does it hurt?"

"Not as much it was when I first got them."

"Good thing or I would have some doctors to scold for doing a lousy job."

Jack was now present, his eyes locked on William.

William smiled sheepishly.

"You did give them quite a scolding over the phone though." He moved away from Charlie a bit. "Hello, Brother."

"Hello yourself." Jack threw his arms around him, hugging him close. "Oh Will, you scared the daylights out of me!"

William hugged him tightly, keeping close to his brother. "I'm so sorry Jackie. I didn't mean to… I really didn't."

"I know, I know. I just… I was so scared I lost for you good."

He nodded, burying his face a little, shoulders shaking a bit. He had missed them so much. It didn't hit him until this moment just how much.

"Brother, I really am glad to see you. I missed you so much."

"Missed the crazy doctor huh?"

"I really don't trust any other doctor aside from you, you know that."

"True." Jack pulled back, rubbing his eyes quickly. "But more importantly, you made this little lady very upset." He gestured to Charlie.

Charlie was currently rubbing her own eyes as well.

"I-It's fine now though, you're here."

William frowned, taking her hands into his.

"Charlie…"

She looked down, squeezing his hands.

"You really scared me, William."

"Poor thing wound up on my couch at three AM crying."

"JACK!"

William shook his head, cupping one of her cheeks in his hand, turning her face to his.

"Charlie, I have something for you."

Charlie leaned into his hand, curiosity coming to her eyes.

"You do?"

William smiled, reaching into his coat sleeve, producing a rose.

"I did promise you this, didn't I?" He said, offering it to her.

Her eyes lit up taking it into her hands. "You remembered." She giggled, placing it into her hair. "And as I remembered, I'll wear it in my hair for as long as it lasts."

"Good." William chuckled. "There's a smile."

Charlie smiled, hugging him tightly.

"And there's the smile I love seeing so much."

William's face flushed red again but he relaxed, bringing her into an embrace. She sighed happily laying her head on his shoulder, William resting his head against hers, stroking her a little.

"Celebration at my house tonight." Jack grinned. "My treat."

Charlie giggled. "Sounds good to me."

"I do owe my nieces a visit." William chuckled. "And I would love time with my family."

"Oh, Will, You think you're going right back to performing in that condition? You ain't getting away that easily."

"Charlie, help."

Charlie hummed in thought before huddling close to him, giving her best innocent look.

"Dr. Carter please don't keep him all to yourselves. The circus has been so worried and I want him to meet my sister too."

Jack put a hand over his heart.

"Ack! I can never deny the wishes of my future sister in law!"

William went completely red.

"A-A-A-A-A-AAAAH! JACK!"

Jack threw his head back laughing.

"Whaaat? I'm being considerate!"

Charlie went red, hugging William tighter, keeping quiet.

William muttered a few curses under his breath, not noticing he was hugging Charlie a little tighter.

"I am so sorry." He whispered to her.

"Don't be. I get the same from Jenny."

"Ehehe… still…"

She nuzzled him a little keeping close.

"It's okay."

William smiled a bit, nuzzling back.

"Okay."

She smiled giving a nod.

"Besides, your family's been good to me during all this. I wouldn't run away now."

"Well, if you can stand them, you can stand anything."

"My sister's headstrong too. She's stubborn like Jack."

"You two lovebirds know I can still hear you right?"

"Oops." William gave a sheepish look. "Em… Maybe we should get to your place, hm?"

Jack nodded. "Right this way. Diana's been planning this dinner since we heard you were coming back."

"Oh Diana's cooking. I can't wait."

"I look forward to it." Charlie kept close to William as they walked out of the station. "Hey, William. Just curious but… how did you survive? Who found you?"

"I honestly don't know how I made it I just… did… and I had help getting to the hospital. It was a man by the name of Lorcan."

"Lorcan… Huh. I'm glad you had help though. Was it someone who was passing through that area or was he on the train?"

"He was on the train as well. Actually, he gave me his seat since I was having trouble finding one when I got on. He… was kind of strange. He was old looking yet he had a stature that was more so young. Plus, even after the accident he was still standing up straight like he wasn't in pain."

"That's incredible." Charlie smiled keeping close to him as they walked. "I'm glad he was able to help you."

"You and me both." William smiled. "I got to see you again after all."

"And that of which I'm ever so grateful for." She held onto his hand, squeezing a little. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." He squeezed her hand back.

She laid her head on his shoulder, sighing happily.

William rested his head against her, sighing in content.

It's good to be home.

• Like 2

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 6

The Magician's Shadow Part 6

"Phew… Finally over." William flopped over onto his cot, sighing a bit. "Tough crowd tonight."

Wes nodded in agreement, lying on his cot as well, though quickly sitting up, making hand gestures to William.

"You don't seem like yourself tonight. You were a bit fidgety on stage."

William sighed again.

"I think it was the laughing. Yeah, I'm used to being a goof on stage but… it felt… different this time. Especially after someone threw peanuts at me and told me to go back to England. I thought my accent wasn't that thick anymore."

Wes frowned.

"It didn't seem that way to me." He signed. "Your accent is fine. Their attitude is the problem."

"I worry my act isn't exactly amazing anymore. Especially if people have seen me before. I think I've hit a slump, Wes. I… I really want to be more than I am but I'm not even sure how to do it. I've looked into what other magicians do but… sadly I wouldn't be able to ask anyone for help since magicians don't share secrets. You have to figure it out for yourself…" William pinched the bridge of his nose. "I guess I'm tired of being a laughing stock."

Wes reached over, squeezing his shoulder briefly before signing again.

"Maybe there's a book you can try or something along those lines. There's a large library not too far from here. There might be something you could use there."

"Hm… I could try that. And maybe I'll ask around again too just… I think tonight I just need to relax. Tonight's performance was just awful."

"Maybe take a little nap and then see what Charlie's up to? Seemed the crowd were pretty mean to her too."

"Actually… I think I'm going to go check on her." William got off his cot. "Any idea where she is?"

"I think she's in one of the recreation tents."

"Alright, I'll go check."

William hurried off. Sure enough, there was Charlie sitting by herself enjoying a hot drink.

"Charlie?"

She looked up, smiling a little. "Hey William. How are you holding up?"

"I'm holding up alright I just wanted to be sure you were doing okay. Tonight was rough for both of us."

"Oh, it was. I had to put a new dress on. Ugh that one drink hit my skirt so it's soaking right now." She gestured to a thermos at her feet. "I have some hot chocolate. Want some?"

"I'd love some."

Charlie smiled, pouring him a drink as he sat with her.

William stared at his drink, sighing a bit.

"... Charlie?"

"Huh?" She gave him a worried look. "What's wrong?"

"... Do you… still enjoy being on stage with me?"

Charlie pouted a little.

"What's that about? Of course I do!"

William cringed.

"Just… Today was awful. The last few weeks have been hits and misses and I just… I just don't know if I can keep up. I want to be a good magician but I just… I only have so many tricks and… I… I just feel… boring… average…. Just… nothing."

She shook her head, bringing an arm around him.

"I don't think you're boring at all. Your tricks are always charming and fun and bring smiles to anyone's face. So some people act stupid. That's their fault."

"Still though… I… I think I need to see if I can figure out any new routines or some other tricks. Just something to bring some more life to the show."

"Can I help you in any way?"

"I'm not sure… I just… need to look into what others have done and how I can improve on them. Wes actually recommended checking the local library here."

"Oh, that place is huge. You might find just the thing - I know Jen found the perfect book to get her past some creative block."

"Well sewing is one thing, I'm sure there are plenty of books on that, not sure about magic tricks though."

"I wouldn't put doubt on this library." Charlie grinned a bit. "I've heard the librarian there has even the strangest of books that can't be found in just any regular library."

"Define strange."

"Books about far off places, places people have never even heard about. Books about old legends and tales of magic. Books about worlds people can never even imagine. It's a bit hard to describe."

"Well, sounds like a good idea to go there then. I'll probably go in tomorrow."

"Sounds good to me." She smiled, laying her head on his shoulder. "Anything I can do for you though?"

William smiled, laying his head against hers.

"Just being right here is nice."

She smiled, closing her eyes.

"I'm right here then."

oooooo

"You can look around here as much as you want."

William was stunned at the vast aisle of books before him.

"This… is all magic?" He asked.

"Yes. Is something wrong?"

"N-No… I… I just wasn't expecting there to be so much." He looked to the woman beside him. "Charlie wasn't kidding when she this place was not your usual library."

The librarian gave a small grin. "I take pride in having endless knowledge at hand for anyone to read if they so wish. Please take your time and enjoy."

"Of course. Thank you Ms… Wickerbottom, was it?"

"That's correct. And you're quite welcome young man. Enjoy yourself."

William nodded, heading off into the section, Wickerbottom heading off in her own direction. William found himself entranced by the contents. There were tricks upon tricks he had never heard of before on the pages and even instructions on how to do them. It was heaven.

"Let's see… these two should work." He smiled, looking at them. "Elemental illusions. Be something to do tricks with fire and water. I'll have to see what Charlie thinks."

"Still at it, Carter?"

William looked up from his books, seeing a familiar man off to the side, a gasp leaving his mouth.

"Lorcan!"

Lorcan smiled, waving to him, walking over to him. Though one thing was noticeably different. The man had a cane now and seemed to be slouching a bit.

"It's good to see you again."

"It's good to see you too, please, sit sit." William jumped up, pulling a chair out for him. "It's been so long."

"Indeed." Lorcan sat down, sighing in relief. "I think the train wreck took a bit out of me. Started having problems with my legs not too long after we parted. I'm doing well at least. How about you?"

"I'm alright. Though in a bit of a slump as it were." William gave a sheepish look. "Just seems I can't please my audience so I thought I'd come here, try out some new tricks, see if I could find anything interesting. You know?"

"I understand. You want to stand out, yes?"

"More than anything. And to… Okay, this sounds petty but I want to be able to prove to my assistant that I am worth still working with." He frowned. "She had a stained dress to deal with after last night."

"Well, that's unacceptable." Lorcan crossed his arms. "Hm… you know, there might be one more book you should consider. Though it depends how much you would be willing to work in order to use its contents."

"Huh?"

"It's an older book that's held in this library. It's not written in English but those who can decipher the text can unlock the power in it and perform quite the illusions."

William hummed in thought.

"Well… I would like to try anything. Anything's good at this rate."

"That desperate huh?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'll help you get it then. But we have to wait a bit. Feel to read to pass the time."

"Alright then… I guess…" William got up, heading over to the main desk. "Excuse me. Ms. Wickerbottom? I would like to take these two books out."

"Ah, good choices young man." Wickerbottom stamped the books before handing them back. "They're due back in two weeks, not a moment sooner and please be gentle on them. No drinks or food near them. Alright?" She gave a warning look.

"Y-Yes ma'am." William swallowed hard. "I-I promise I'll take good care of them."

She smiled. "That's what I like to hear. Enjoy."

William nodded, heading back to where Lorcan was.

"How come we have to wait till a certain time to get the other book?"

"We need to wait until the ol'girl leaves. Even she has to go home and sleep."

"I… see…?"

"Just trust me."

William nodded, looking over one of the books carefully.

"Hm… Fire illusions…"

"Quite a place to start. You can even create illusions to look like animals."

William looked up from his book, surprised.

"Lorcan, are you a magician too?"

"To a point." Lorcan shrugged. "I dabble, but I don't perform."

"Why? I-I mean…"

Lorcan snickered a bit.

"I feel some of my tricks would be a bit too overwhelming. Though I guess I lied a little. I have done private performances."

"Still, that's intriguing. I never would've thought." William smiled. "I tried out private performances originally - parlors, aristocrats. Too much trouble. All stuffy and no fun."

"Pheh, even around me they got stuffy."

"Could… you… maybe…?"

Lorcan smiled.

"Just one."

Lorcan gave a wave of his hand, making images out of shadow particles.

William's eyes widened, an excited grin coming to his face.

"That's amazing!"

Lorcan chuckled, making the images disappear.

"You can learn how to do this too. We just need that book I mentioned. It's old magic, so it's why the book in particular you need is written in some older text. Only ones able to translate it are worthy to use its contents."

"I'll try my hardest. I promise."

"And I'm sure you'll do great."

William read on through the texts for quite a few hours before Lorcan got up.

"Stay here. I'm going to go get that book now. Try to keep out of sight so the ol' librarian doesn't see you."

"Yessir."

Lorcan slipped off into a different part of the library, leaving William by himself. William quickly found a place to stay hidden between two book shelves, seeing Wickerbottom at work at shooing people out.

"I don't permit smoking here you riff raff, now out, OUT!"

"Aw come now Granny it was just a little cigar-!"

"Don't call me granny! OUT!"

Yikes… William cringed.

"Got it." Lorcan called, holding up a book. "We better hurry out now."

"Right, let's hurry before she notices."

Lorcan nodded, hurrying out as fast as he could, William right behind him. William caught a glimpse of Wickerbottom who noticed him too.

"Thanks for the books!" He called out as he headed out the door, trying his best to seem casual.

"Have a good night!"

Soon, they were outside, both sighing in relief.

"She didn't catch us, good." Lorcan looked at the book in his hands before offering it to William. "I present, the Codex Umbra."

"Codex Umbra… That's… latin?"

"Yes, it literally translates to Shadow Book."

William took the book in his hands, noting the odd "M" crest that was on the cover.

"What's with the "M" on the front?"

Lorcan gave a shrug.

"I'm honestly not sure."

"M... Seems pretty odd to me."

"It's a strange one, but I learned my tricks from it. Just know a lot of work lies ahead of you."

William nodded.

"R-Right."

"I wish you luck." Lorcan turned away from him, heading down the street. "Don't work yourself too hard."

William smiled at him before looking at the book. It was odd. Looking at it… he couldn't help but feel… uneasy… cold.

He shook it off, tucking the book under his arm, heading off.

I'm sure it's nothing. Lorcan wouldn't give me something that would harm me.

• Like 4

You should have just stuck with elemental tricks -_- though I didn't know Codex Umbra literally meant Shadow Book XD

8 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

I'm sure it's nothing. Lorcan wouldn't give me something that would harm me.

Pfft! Poor naive William. I'm sorry but it's true at this point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

I guess Maxwell has always been akined to cigars? Or is it just the Lorcan host that made MAxwell addicted to them?

Maxwell does enjoy them on his own free will. Though in all honesty he took up smoking as William to basically tick Jack off in regards to all the work he did for William's for lungs. Basically a "screw you" to him.

• Like 1

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 7

The Magician's Shadow Part 7

William flipped through the Codex, looking at each page carefully. He sighed, noting that Lorcan was correct in what he had told him about the book being written in another language. Despite that, William found himself drawn to all the images that were on the pages, even if some of them gave him chills looking at them.

Those black beasts... They look ready to jump off the page at any minute.

William shook it off, deciding to go back to the first page.

Best to start from the beginning I suppose.

He looked at the page carefully, seeing columns of text on it. The way it was formatted… it almost seemed like a list of names, all under one big name… that was written in English.

"Maxwell?" He said aloud. "Who is Maxwell?"

He took note of another set of text in English that was just below the name.

"To the one who holds this book, make a deal with the Master of Shadows and have the knowledge to unlock the secrets of this text."

"A deal…?"

He took note of instructions in English just a few lines down. It was a ritual to supposedly summon the Shadow King.

Well… It's worth a shot. Just likely a parlor trick but if it helps figuring out this book I'll try anything.

He went about gathering the materials but hesitated when it came to the final one.

Blood…? Goodness. I've already lost a lot of blood just in the last few months alone.

He hesitated, the knife hovering over his non-dominant hand, already trying to reason with himself why this was a bad idea.

No. Stop being so afraid of everything!

Closing his eyes tightly, William made a quick cut, gritting his teeth, trying not to cry out.

"Ngh!"

He held his hand carefully over the circle had made, dripping the blood over the symbol on the ground. Within moments, the candles he had set around the circle went out and from the center came a being made completely of shadow. Its white eyes opened slowly, looking around the room before looking to William, giving a small grin.

"Who has summoned me?"

William's eyes widened in shock, stumbling back a little.

"W-William Carter s-sir." He looked the being over, swallowing hard. "The Shadow King I presume?"

"Yes. I am who they call Maxwell. It's nice to meet someone new after so long." Maxwell moved around William, looking him over. "Or least someone brave enough to decide performing the ritual wasn't such a bad idea. Quite the courage you have, William Carter."

"Me? Courage?" The magician shook his head. "Hardly. Try blockheaded stubbornness as my brother would say."

"Put it however you want, either way." Maxwell smiled again. "You've come seeking a deal with me in regards to the Codex? Just like the man before you?"

"Yes." William swallowed hard. "I want the knowledge to perform magic. Magic that will shock and delight people. Bring smiles to their faces. Prove I'm not some "hack"."

"I can easily provide all that." Maxwell chuckled a bit. "I shall give you Dark Knowledge. It will allow to understand the contents of this book and unlock new powers within you. But be warned, these powers you are seeking will require great strength of mind, for the shadows are not easy to tame. If you're willing to take that risk." Maxwell extended a hand to him. "By all means, say yes."

William was quiet looking at the hand offered to him before he narrowed his eyes, taking it.

"Yes."

Maxwell grinned widely, shaking his hand, squeezing a bit of blood from the cut.

"Then the pact has been made, William Carter." Maxwell reached his other hand over, touching William's forehead. "Accept this knew knowledge you have brought upon yourself."

William gasped as felt a surge of some kind power going through him. He cringed, feeling a dull pain his head, dropping to his knees, gripping at his hair a little.

"A-AAGH!"

"Relax. It will all end soon." Maxwell smiled, the room going dark. "Your powers will grow with time, but just know… there is a price to be paid in the end."

William couldn't move, Maxwell's voice was becoming fuzzy, everything went pitch black.

"There's always a price to be paid when it comes to our world."

oooooo

William awoke, finding he was still in the same room from before. The only thing missing was the circle he had made. All that was present was him, the Codex Umbra and the furniture in the room.

He sat up slowly, feeling some lingering soreness in his head. He shook it away quickly before getting up, picking up the Codex. He winced, feeling the cut on his hand get irritated.

"I'll patch that up before anything else happens.." He opened the book, eyes going wide in surprise.

Everything, every word was in perfect English now. He could understand every paragraph, every name.

"Well… I guess that headache was worth it."

He went to his desk, getting straight to work… but noticed he was having a hard time seeing. He took off his glasses, giving them quick polish.

"I must've gotten them dirty or some-"

He stopped mid polish, noting he could see it perfectly. Actually, he could see everything perfectly.

He tried putting his glasses back on but cringed at the blurriness they caused. He took them off and everything was clear again.

"I can't believe it." He looked around, taking in everything with this change to his vision. "I can actually see clearly." He looked back at the Codex, reading a few lines. Something he hadn't been able to do without his glasses ever since he could remember.

"Incredible." He laughed a little. "I feel great. For once… Hah… I can finally do something for myself." He got back to work, reading the Codex carefully. "I can't wait to show everyone this once I figure it out."

Finally. I'll be able to stand on my own.

oooooo

"Looking pretty dapper there, William." Parker smiled as he helped the man get his coat on. "I'm really excited to this new act of yours and such. You sure about the new stage name though? Seems unlike you."

"I know it's strange but… people have seen me before so I found it best we try something new. Besides, I look pretty different from my performances so it shouldn't be too jarring for people to see me with a new name."

"True, true. Long as it works for you and Ms. Charlie. Speaking of, she have any idea what you're planning to do tonight?"

"She does to a point. I couldn't give away everything."

"Of course." Parker brushed off his shoulders. "There. All set. You'll be on stage in a few minutes."

Parker hurried out of the tent, leaving William by himself.

William looked at himself carefully in the mirror in the tent. He almost couldn't believe his own reflection when he saw it. With his glasses gone, he swore he was looking at a different person. His hair was slicked back and the new suit he had on was something he never thought he would wear. It was a long pinstripe suit with pointy shoulder guards and was a pale brownish purple color. The final touch was a rose corsage on the right side of his coat.

I feel so different now… yet… it's a good different.

He adjusted his gloves, taking a deep breath.

Tonight, everything changes.

Charlie soon came hurrying over to him, eyes going a bit wide at what she saw. This wasn't how she remembered William being for performances.

"Will?"

William looked to her, giving a gentle smile.

"Ah, there you are. Ready for tonight?"

She blushed a little giving a nod, smiling in return.

"Always ready. I always have fun performing with you. Though interesting new look."

"It's… not too much, is it?"

"No no, it's just… different from what you usually wear."

"Yeah… just… felt the need for change."

"I'm curious, why haven't you worn your glasses in a while?"

"I haven't really needed them." William dug into his pants pocket, pulling them. "My eyes seems to have improved to the point wearing them actually causes blurriness. I keep them just in case though I've been considering just packing them away entirely."

Charlie frowned,looking at the glasses.

"You always looked cute with them on. But… I don't mind this." Charlie looked at him, blushing a little. "You look very dapper."

William blushed a little.

"T-Thank you."

Charlie nodded, looking at the glasses again.

"Maybe I could hold onto these for you? So they're not in your way?"

"You wouldn't mind it?"

"Not at all and if you do ever need them again I'll have them ready for you." Charlie smiled, holding her hand out. "You can trust me."

William smiled, placing the glasses in her hand. "That I do. Shall we?"

"We shall."

Charlie looped her arm around William's, both making their way for the main tent.

"Charlie?"

"Yes?"

"I have something I want to ask you after the show, if that's alright."

"Of course."

William smiled, turning his attention back to the main tent, both entering as they heard Parker giving the intro to their act.

"Feast your eyes everyone on the illusions of the Amazing Maxwell and his beautiful assistant, Charlie!"

The crowds cheered as William and Charlie came on stage, both taking a bow.

"Thank you, thank you." William said, standing up straight. "You're all too kind. Tonight, I shall show you some illusions I have acquired from a mysterious tome. They may be frightening, but I assure you all, there is nothing to fear, so long as I am here."

William gave a confident grin as he waved his hand, the Codex appearing in it with a puff of shadows.

The audience gasped, Charlie giving him a curious look.

"Now, let's begin."

He opened the Codex. summoning shadow flames to his hand, snapping his fingers as they went skyward, creating a fireworks display of sorts.

Perfect. This is perfect!

Charlie found herself in awe of the display along with the rest of the crowd.

Amazing.

"Charlie?" William offered the book to her. "Could you hold this, please?"

Charlie nodded, taking it into her hands.

"Of course, Wi-Maxwell!"

William smiled, rolling up his sleeve a little.

"Now, let's see what lurks within."

He read the text carefully, making certain motions with his hands. Then, out of the book came an odd looking creature made of shadows that hissed at the man, a resounding gasp coming from the crowds.

"Well, that was unexpected." William kept his stance strong, staring the creature down. "Quite rude popping up without a proper invite."

The creature hissed, crawling towards him, bearing its teeth.

"Guess that's how it is then." William summoned shadow flames to his hands, striking the beast as it attempted to attack him. "Ah ah ah! Bad shadow creature!"

The creature growled, trying to attack again but was struck down by William with ease.

"Be gone, shadow creature! Back to where you came from!"

The creature snarled before retreating into the Codex, the book shutting as soon as it re-entered.

The crowd erupted into cheers, some standing on their seats, hoping to get another glimpse at the strange power displayed before them.

"Thank you, thank you." William took a sweeping bow. "You are all far too kind!"

Where did all this confidence come from? Charlie thought, staring at William, unable to help it. Even at his best, sometimes he got timid.

"And a round of applause of my lovely assistant." William gestured to her, everyone doing so.

Charlie giggled, giving a bow of her own, looking to William.

William smiled at her, offering his arm to her. She took it, looping her arms around his.

"That it all for now, folks. Come again next time." William said before leading her off.

Once they were out of sight from the crowds, William relaxed, wiping his brow a little.

"That felt amazing."

Charlie let out a small squeal, throwing both of her arms around him. "Oh William, it was amazing! Those tricks were like nothing I've ever seen before!"

William laughed, hugging her close, spinning her a bit.

"I'm glad you liked it my dear. I've worked so hard this past month and now it's all paid off!"

Charlie smiled keeping close to him, sighing happily.

"I'm so glad for you. You've been so worried about the show lately I was getting a little worried myself for you. No more stress?"

"Not for the foreseeable future." He brought her a bit closer, enjoying the moment. "Oh Charlie, I'm so happy right now."

"William."

William rested his head against hers, sighing happily.

"We've been together so long now Charlie and now, a new change has finally come."

She closed her eyes, resting her head against him, tightening her hug a little.

"It's a wonderful change. I haven't seen you this excited in a long time."

"I feel wonderful. Something I don't think I've ever felt before in this way. I hope I can make it last."

"I'm sure you can. I'll help too however I can."

"I appreciate that." William pulled back a little, resting his forehead against hers. "Charlie."

Charlie sighed happily, nuzzling him a little. "You've always been so good to me."

William nuzzled her back. "I do what I can because I love seeing you happy… and I love having you beside me. I always felt more confident with you by my side."

"Oh William." She felt some heat come to her cheeks, a smile on her face. "You know, I don't think I loved this job more then when I've been performing with you or even just spending time with you outside of just performances. Talking, taking walks. I've loved all of it."

William smiled warmly, cupping a cheek in his hand.

"Charlie, I told you there was something I wanted to ask you after the performance was over."

"That you did. I've been curious of what it might be." She leaned into his hand a little

"Well… like I said, we've been together for awhile both as show partners and… well… other matters and… I… I really want to spend all the time I can with you for as long as I live."

Her eyes grew wide, staying quiet for now. Waiting to see where he went with this. Her heart beat a bit faster.

Is… Is this what I think it is?

William pulled back, getting on one knee, holding a ring to her with a small purple gem imbedded in it.

"Charlie… Will you be mine?"

She gasped before letting out a squeal, throwing her arms around him.

"Yes! Oh my stars yes!" She laughed, kissing his cheek. "William, yes, yes, YES! I would love that!"

William laughed, bringing her closer.

"Oh, Charlie!"

She giggled touching her head to his. "I'm going to be married to you. I'm going to get to be with you forever. Oh, William!"

William had joy in his eyes and before he could think twice he kissed her right on the lips.

Charlie closed her eyes, holding the kiss for a moment before they both pulled back. She had a bright smile on her face, warmth in her eyes.

"I love you. So so much William. I can't think of anyone else on this Earth I'd rather be with."

"I can't imagine myself with anyone else but you."

She sighed happily, leaning against him as he held her close, resting his head against hers. She took off her glove as he slipped the ring on, admiring it for a moment.

"It's perfect. Just perfect."

"I'm glad you like it, my dear."

She curled up a little in his arms, enjoying the moment. Wishing it could last forever.

"Shall we go tell the others the news?"

"Yes. Let's."

William got up, Charlie having her arms wrapped around his, laying her head on his shoulder.

"This is the best day of my life, William."

"And the best day of mine Charlie." He kissed her head. "The best I could've hoped for."

And it will only get better from here.

• Like 2

At first, I was wondering why you uploaded this yesterday but then I remembered you take Sundays (Mondays for me) off :p

I was silently squealing when he proposed. It was so sweet, I couldn't help the tear that came to my eye ^_^ However, I have a bad feeling the happiness isn't gonna last much longer :?

• Like 1

The Magician's Shadow Version 2.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Magician's Shadow Part 8

The Magician's Shadow Part 8

The months began to fly since that day. William's power grew and grew with each show. One illusion after another he learned to perform in front of crowds, making them gaze in awe at his power. Plans of William and Charlie's wedding fast forming. William had even already bought an apartment for them to start out in once they were together that he was living in by himself for now.

Things couldn't have been better for all of them.

Yet… within those recent months, many couldn't help but notice a change in William's attitude. While it was great to see him confident in his performance on stage and not being such a nervous wreck off stage, it was borderline arrogance whenever he talked to others outside the circus about his performance. It was unlike him.

On top of that, he didn't really talk to anyone anymore save Charlie. Soon as shows came to a close he would just head back to his apartment doing who knows what.

It was concerning… and it only kept getting worse.

"Jack?"

Jack looked up from his papers, seeing Charlie present in his study.

"Ah, Charlie, evening." He gave a gentle smile. "What can I do for you?"

"Can we talk about something?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"It's about Maxwell- I mean, William." She shook her head. "Sorry, I've just gotten so used to calling him that since he started asking everyone to keep referring to him as such."

Jack sighed, gesturing to a chair near his desk.

"Have a seat. Didn't think he was asking you to do that too."

"He's been asking that of you as well?"

"Yep. I'll be honest, I have not spoken to him as of late with his behavior. Got sick of the arrogance and decided he needed some space and hopefully something to knock him down a peg so he'd go back to his old self. I haven't taken the girls to see any of his shows recently because of the attitude. I didn't want him rubbing off on them."

"I see…" Charlie lowered her head. "I'm really worried about him Jack. This isn't the William I know. This… This is someone else. The name, the behavior, the acts of insanity…"

Jack shuddered.

"Don't remind me. Those just came out of nowhere. William's never been a violent one but those…" Jack lowered his head, thinking back to it.

"Don't any of you ever question my methods ever again! The shadows obey me! You have no right to question my authority over them or my power!"

"Jack." Charlie touched one of his hands. "I think it's getting worse. I was at the apartment recently and… I found this room and on the walls were scribbles off all kinds. Drawings too. None of it made sense. Some of it wasn't even English. It looked like something else entirely and…" She bit her lip. "I saw my name as well. Multiple times and something about "It's all THEM that are doing this." and another saying "ENOUGH!" Jack… I… I think he's gone mad and I don't know what to do." She sniffled a bit. "Jack… Please. We need to do something."

Jack took her hand into his, giving it a squeeze.

"Tell you what. Let's stop by his apartment together. I'll talk to him first and see if I can get a conversation with him and then, once I'm sure it's okay, you can join in too. Sound good?"

Charlie nodded.

"Yes."

"Let's get to it then."

oooooo

"Maxwell?" Jack knocked on the door. "Maxwell, ya home?"

Took a few moments before the door opened, revealing William on the other side.

"Ah, Brother. Been awhile." He said, opening the door fully. "Would you like to come in?"

"Yes. I just wanted to ask you about something and then I'll be out of your hair."

"Sounds good. Do you want tea as well?"

"That would be great." Jack glanced to the side, seeing Charlie keeping hidden a few doors down. Jack nodded to her before heading inside.

"It'll take a few minutes for it to warm up so just feel free to look around."

Jack nodded, doing as told.

"Where's Judy? Haven't seen that rabbit in a while."

"She's with the circus. I don't really use her anymore so found it best to just let them handle her for a bit. I'll probably take her back once Charlie and I are together."

"I see…"

So much for being your little girl.

Jack wandered around the place more, glancing into the rooms until one caught his attention. The door was only partially open but he could see scribbles on the walls.

That must be the room Charlie mentioned.

Jack kept quiet as he crept into the room, looking at everything carefully. It was just as Charlie said. There were scribbles everywhere in both English and some other text. He felt a chill upon seeing Charlie's name being scribbled over and over again.

What on Earth was he using to make all these marks? Why did he even do it in the first place?

He looked at the furniture that was in the room, which was only a desk and chair. On the desk, was the Codex and various journals stacked alongside it. Jack approached the desk, taking the Codex into his hands.

Jack was tentative at first before opening the book to a random spot, seeing pictures of creatures and text that matched the unreadable text on the wall.

What is this-

He gasped, feeling something surge through him, a vision flashing before his eyes. He could see William and Charlie on a stage. William was performing his act, everything going perfectly fine. But the vision was interrupted by one that was horrible. He could see shadow hands spilling out from the Codex, grabbing people left and right. William and Charlie were being grabbed as well, both high up in the air. Charlie screaming and William silent, horror in his eyes.

"There is a debt to be paid with all that he has learned." A voice whispered to Jack. "And soon, this was all come to pass and there is nothing you can do stop it."

The vision ended, Jack dropping the book, a gasp escaping him. He brought a hand to his head, staring at the book in horror.

"What… is this thing…?"

"You know, it's common courtesy not to snoop through people's things, Jack."

Jack froze, looking behind him to see William was present, his eyes completely narrowed.

Jack composed himself, returning the glare.

"Sorry, I've just been concerned for my brother as of late and I get the feeling it has something to do with THAT book." Jack pointed to the Codex. "Maxwell, I think it's best you stop for a bit. You've been working hard enough and I really think it's affecting your attitude and mood. You haven't been yourself these past few months and it's worrying me to no end."

"Oh, so you want me to go back to being spineless?" William growled. "Want me to go back to depending on you?"

"That's not what I meant!" Jack snapped, growling before some sorrow came to his eyes, thinking of the vision he just saw. "William… I'm begging you, please, stop this. This isn't you!"

William growled, walking up to his brother, getting up in his face.

"Oh really? You think you know me that well, Brother? Well, guess what? You don't. You just don't!"

Jack shook his head, keeping his stance but feeling his knees buckle a little.

"William, please, just stop-"

SLAP!

Jack fell to the floor holding his cheek, looking up at this brother in horror as he gave Jack an enraged look.

"It's MAXWELL, and I'm not stopping anytime soon. No matter what you, Charlie or ANYONE else says!"

Jack stared at him in silence.

William… What have you become…?

William sneered at him, walking past him, picking up the Codex.

"If you're not happy with my choices, then don't bother coming to my next show or seeing me ever again. I'm fine without you anyway. I'm not a little boy clinging to his brother's arm all helpless and frail anymore. I'm finally strong and able to take care of myself. Yet here you are telling me it isn't good. What kind of brother are you for even suggesting that?"

Jack's heart shattered at that last sentence.

"Will-"

"Maxwell. Get it right."

Jack cringed.

"... I guess I'm no brother of yours then." Jack got up, turning away from him. "I won't bother you anymore. I wish you luck in your endeavours. Even if it means I can't be there to watch them."

Jack left without another word, heading straight out the door. Charlie was there waiting for him, concern in her eyes.

"Jack? What happened in there? I heard screaming."

"He's beyond my help." Jack walked away from her. "If you want to talk to him by all means, do that. You'll probably have better luck than me."

Jack walked off, leaving Charlie by herself.

Charlie stared at the door before going inside quietly, making sure not to draw attention to herself. She looked around still she found the room Jack and William had been in. William was still in there. The man was bent over the desk, gripping the ends tightly, staring at the open Codex, his shoulders shaking.

"What have I done…?" He said, a sob escaping him. "What I have done…?"

Charlie frowned, stepping in silently, trying to be as gentle as she could as he approached William.

"Maxy?" She whispered, touching his shoulder.

He gasped, whirling around, relaxing as he realized who was behind him.

"Oh, just you Charlie. You scared me there for a minute. Did…" He lowered his head a bit. "Did you hear all that?"

She had concern in her eyes as she nodded. "I did… Maxwell, why did you do that? Jack… Jack was doing that because he loves you."

"I know and… and I don't know what came over me. I just… Oh Go-" He bit his lip. "Charlie… I think there's something wrong with me." He turned away, gripping at the desk again. "I've been blacking out lately and been getting massive headaches. It's driving me mad… I… I don't know what to do. I don't know what's causing it I… I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do."

Charlie's gaze softened as she turned him around to her, bringing her arms around him, touching her head to his.

"Shh… Shh… We'll figure it out but you can't keep lashing out like this. Maybe it's time to consider taking a break or retiring altogether."

"Break, please. No retiring. Magic means too much to me and I need to be able to support both of us somehow."

"Right." She ran her hand through his hair, William nuzzling her hand a little. "And please, try to work with us."

"I… I'll try. One more show and I promise we can take a break. This is our biggest one this week. I'd rather not let that stage that Parker and Abernethy got for us in that theater to go to waste."

"I know… I know." She brought him close, trying to keep him calm. "Max… I miss you."

Maxwell frowned, gazing into her eyes.

"I'm here."

"Charlie… Charlie…"

William held her closer upon hearing voices whisper her name.

"You and Charlie will soon be ours, dear Maxwell."

Shut up shut up shut up SHUT UP!

Charlie frowned, slowly shaking her head.

"Not enough. And this…" She waved her arm around the room. "Isn't you. Abandoning Judy isn't you. Goodness, of all things you abandon someone else who loves you. I'm worried."

William thought it over, guilt coming to his eyes.

"... I'll stop after this week's show. We'll take a vacation to that cabin your family owns. Get away from all the magic. Just… quiet. You, me, Jack, all our family. Just… I need to fix this… I need to fix everything I… I just need to do this first."

Charlie nodded, hugging him tightly, burying her face into his chest.

"... And can I please call you by your name again?"

"... Yes." Maxwell hugged her tightly in return, kissing her head.

She leaned up kissing his chin.

"Thank you… William… My William." Charlie smiled a little, tears in her eyes. "Please… Please don't forget I love you."

"Never." He leaned in, kissing her gently on the lips.

Charlie kissed him quickly, her nose bumping against his.

"I promise, I'll make it up to you and the others. I promise."

Just one more show. One more show and then I'll set everything right.

oooooo

"I know you said to William you wouldn't come but please… surprise him. He promised he's going to make everything better after tonight. Please, for his sake."

Jack sighed as he made his way into the theater, finding his seat. He didn't feel the least bit comfortable being present but… he knew giving up wasn't going to solve anything. He had to keep trying.

I'll just brace myself if he decides to be violent again. Simple as that.

The lights in the theater dimmed as the curtain of the stage opened, revealing William and Charlie. The audience applauded them, William giving a bow as Charlie applauded with the crowd.

"Thank you, thank you, you're all too kind." William said, giving his best smile. He flicked his hand in the air, summoning the Codex in his hand before handing it to Charlie who presented it to the crowd.

William grinned as he summoned small shadow flames from the book, amazing the audience with his abilities. Jack found himself captivated too… but then he felt cold.

This was too familiar. Too familiar for comfort.

"There is a debt to be paid with all that he has learned. And soon, this was all come to pass and there is nothing you can do stop it."

Jack's eyes widened in alarm.

This stage… This act… Oh no… No… NO!

"Now, I will pull shadow's incarnate from this mysterious tome!" William announced, adjusting his gloves, Charlie holding out the Codex for him.

"No…" Jack whispered, trying to get out of his seat, the people beside him pulling back down.

"Don't even think about it." One of them hissed.

"No… No…"

William put his hand into the book, reaching deep into it, only to have a shadow hand grab his head, trying to pull him in. He struggled, Charlie dropping the book as the hand pulled him down to the floor. Charlie brought her hands to her mouth in horror as the struggle continued. It finally ended when Maxwell broke the hand off his head, causing it to dissipate. The man panted, looking at the book, Charlie kneeling beside him.

"Maxy, are you okay?"

He looked to her, his eyes trembling a bit.

"I-I'm fine. Just an error with the spell. L-Let's continue."

NO!

Jack got up from his seat again, managing to escape the grasps of those beside him, trying to get to the stage.

"WILLIAM! DON'T!"

It was too late. A shadow being appeared from the book, the pages flipping rapidly before multiple shadow hands came pouring out of the book, grabbing everyone they could in the room, William and Charlie included. The building shook, people were screaming.

William watched as everything unraveled before him. People disappearing. The building crumbling. His eyes locked with Charlie's, seeing pure terror in them.

"WILLIAM!" She screamed for him, reaching out her hand to him.

William tried reaching for her, but was held back by the shadow hand holding him.

"Time to pay up, William Carter."

The area around William went black as he saw the real Maxwell appear before him.

"You've had your fun this past year but now it's time you pay your price."

Please no… Please no!

Spare her… Spare her please!

"Sorry, but all involved get to help pay your debt or should I say our debt?" Maxwell grabbed William by the jaw, looking him right in the eyes. "After all, you and I are one in the same my friend and now… you belong to me!"

William struggled. "NO! LET ME GO! I'M NOT YOU! I DON'T BELONG TO YOU!"

"Oh yes you do, you unsuspecting fool. Come, the world of shadows awaits you along with everyone else!"

"No… NO!"

The world around William faded completely into darkness, the last thing being heard were screams upon screams along with the collapse of a building.

Everything was now gone… and it was only the beginning of something else.

Jack… Charlie… I'm so sorry.

THE END

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

So what will happen to this thread now that Book of Shadows is finished?

*shrug* Not sure to be honest.

Book of Shadows is complete so I won't really be making anymore posts here since well there is nothing left to post in regards to this particular sub series to Survive the Shadows. All rides end at some point.

The only real thing I could leave this thread open to is open discussion as to how people would interpret the origin of the DST characters since well Book of Shadows is just mine and Storm's interpretation. I honestly would love to hear how others would tell the stories of these characters. But that's the most I can think of that would be relevant to the thread to a certain degree. The main topic is Book of Shadows but it also carries the topic of origins.

But that's all I can really think of. Most likely this thread might be archived at some point because there won't be much activity anymore since as mentioned the story is finished, but that doesn't make me all that sad since I'm glad Storm and I were able to get the story finished so even if it does get archived it will still be here for everyone to read and if possible, enjoy. It's just time to move on to other projects.

So yeah, I leave this thread for everyone to read the story, comment if they wish and well, if they want, can discuss their personal interpretations of the origins of the DST characters. All I ask is respect for everyone's opinions including mine and Storm's. We all have differing views on characters so chances are the ideas people have to share will not be exactly the same so, respect please. I certainly don't expect everyone to tell the same story Storm and I just told. That would just be boring.

So, to anyone who might possibly see this, be creative in your interpretations. It's alright to agree with others on certain head canons or what not, but if you think something should be different, then go for it. You don't have to do what everyone else is doing. Have fun with it. Make a story that has the things you want. Tell the story you want to tell.

• Like 2