Survive the Shadows - Book of Shadows - Story (Complete)

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 3

Dark Knowledge Part 3

“And that is all I have to report, My King.”

Melinda bowed her head in respect to the man before her. He was flipping through the book she had handed him, a pleased expression on his face.

“You’re proving yourself well in your archiving skills, dear Melinda. Your father has taught you well.”

“As my father would say, only the best for King Maxwell.”

Maxwell nodded, closing the tome.

“The Codex has never been in better shape. You rebinded it perfectly and no record has been lost. I must say, your findings on healing techniques are quite admirable. They’ll come in handy for us and those who struggle to survive in our world.”

“Thank you, My King.”

Maxwell smiled.

“And if you don’t mind me asking, how have your travels to Earth been? I heard you’re running the library your parents founded.”

“It’s fascinating to say the least, My King.” Melinda chuckled a little. “Humans are so different from us in how they go about their days… and their days being much longer than that of our dear Shadow World.”

“Agreed. It is quite the experience. I hope it’s never a waste of your time.”

“Oh, never. Sebastian and I always have ways of amusing ourselves and it’s never a dull moment.”

“Good to hear.” Maxwell handed the book back to her. “That will be all. Keep up the work and report to me if you find anything exceedingly important.”

“Yes, My King. Am I dismissed?”

“You are.”

Melinda gave a bow before turning to leave.

“Have fun.” He added as she left the throne room.

Melinda nodded, hurrying to her home.

“Phew…” she sighed in relief, packing the Codex into her book bag. “I swear reports to Maxwell are never relaxing… But… least it’s Saturday…” She smiled to herself. “Just hope Percival hasn’t fallen asleep on a book again.”

oooooo

“I know being a teacher can be tiring, but Percival… what exactly have you been doing this week? You look like a walking corpse.”

Percival lifted his head up a little from his book, looking to Sebastian, an annoyed look on his face.

“Thanks for the compliment, and this week was rather stressful in comparison to others. Let’s just say some students wanted to share a piece of their mind with me in some of the most unpleasant ways in regards to their reports.”

“Ah, not pleased with the results of your judgement.”

“Yep.” Percival set his book down, laying his head down on the table. “I’m used to it, but goodness the stress of it likes to hit at random.”

“There, there.” Sebastian patted his back. “Mel will be here soon to help you relax and take your mind off things.”

“True…” Percival smiled a little. “I always look forward to Saturdays and Sundays now since this all started… It’s been nice to get out of the lab more…”

“You and that.. Robert Wag… Whatever his last name is, making any progress on things?”

“Wagstaff, his last name is Wagstaff. As for progress, we’re working on it… We had something weird happen, though.”

“What?”

“Believe it or not but his typewriter some how managed to catch fire.”

“... Huh.”

“Trust me, we were just as confused.”

“All I can really say to that… Magic.”

Percival chuckled a little.

“Maybe so.”

“Sebastian? Percival?”

Percival perked up, seeing Melinda enter the room.

“Ah, there you are.”

Melinda smiled. “Hello, Percival.” She frowned a little seeing the dark circles under his eyes. “Goodness, are you feeling alright?”

Percival gave a sheepish look.

“Students having their rough patches. Nothing I can’t handle.”

Melinda shook her head. “Nothing that you can’t handle indeed, but something you’ve earned a break from.” She nodded to their usual area. “Shall we? I picked up some cinnamon rolls on my way.”

“Yes.” Percival got up, stretching a bit before heading over to the area, making himself comfortable on the couch. “Were you meeting with your father again?”

“Partially.” Melinda sat down beside him. “We met for maybe a minute, but he had to go take care of some other things, so I handled the

archiving he was supposed to do for our friend.”

“I see. I hope that went well.”

“Oh, it did. He was quite pleased.” She sighed in relief. “Always nerve wracking waiting to have someone check your work. I admit, I felt like I was a student again, awaiting my grades.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask. What exactly does… this friend of yours do in regards to having you as an assistant for archiving?”

“Let’s say he’s in the business of making deals. A businessman of sorts.” Of sorts is right..

“Ah, so just keeping track of records of business. Makes sense. I guess he must be a very busy man then.”

“Oh, always, so, anything to be of use and help with his work. He treats us well enough at least.”

“Glad to hear that. I don’t think I could stand the idea of you being mistreated by someone.”

Melinda smiled sheepishly. “I don’t think I could stand the idea myself. If he did mistreat us I wouldn’t work for him. It’s a family business of sorts with my father being my teacher to how to do the job well but I’m never forced.”

“Good.” Percival reached a hand over, holding one hers, giving it a gentle squeeze.

She blushed, squeezing his hand back gently. “I’m glad you worry like that… You're very kind, you know? I… don’t think I’ve had anyone here in this town really be concerned for me besides Sebastian…”

“I try to be kind to those I meet. I work with students all the time and I do my best to let them know I care for their well being and only want the best for them. Same goes for my colleagues… Though I admit, it’s rare that I spend time with someone who isn't a student or science colleague that I can just talk to about anything. I have Robert, for sure, but… you’re no science professor. Em! Not saying you’re not well versed in it but… uh… Shoot…”

Sebastian leaned over the couch they were on. “What he’s trying to say Melly is that you're a gorgeous creature born of light who is unworthy of someone such as himself but by George will he try.”

“Sebastian!!”

Percival turned bright red.

Oh heavens above just kill me now!

Melinda was silent, picking up one of her smaller books before smacking Sebastian lightly on the head with it.

“Out! Bad boy!”

“Ow! Fiiiiine, Your Majesty.” Sebastian slinked off to one of the sections near by. “I was just trying to help!”

“Scoundrel!” She called after him. “Such a mischief maker I swear…”

“Y-Yeah.” Percival was still red in the face, his hands gripping at his shirt sleeves. “H-Heh… He just can’t help but jump to conclusions.”

“He loves to surprise people. Especially you as of late for some reason…” She was still red herself, fiddling with her hair. “B-Besides, surely you have lines of women around that school just waiting for you to pick one of them… Why have someone like me?”

“That’s far from the truth, actually.” Percival glanced to the ground. “The thing is… I can be a bit absent minded when I get into my work. I had a nasty habit at one point of staying in my lab for hours on end and falling asleep there. Then Robert came along and straightened me out and brought me back down to reality. I still devote plenty of time to my work, but I take breaks more often. As for women… I’m… not the popular topic for them. I can talk with women just fine but I’m no romantic.” Percival looked to her. “And you, I’m surprised you’re not a Mrs. I mean… you’re intelligent, hard working, and very kind. Who wouldn’t want that?”

“Because I’m all those things.” Melinda frowned, lowering her head. “I work, I don’t want to be someone’s little trophy to tote around in front of company. I hate the idea of being trapped in a house all day, stuck raising children because it’s expected of me - don’t get me wrong, I love children and I would love one of my own one day… But the idea of becoming trapped… Because that’s what’s expected of women in this country… That scares me… And trust me, it’s not like people haven’t tried - Sebastian’s chased off plenty of men who were here to stare at me instead of their books..”

Percival frowned, moving closer to her, taking both her hands into his.

“I’m so sorry Melinda… That’s awful…”

Melinda looked up into his eyes, huddling a little closer to him. “It can be… I just decided I’d wait to see if someone would be able to handle me… If I marry, I want to be able to keep my library open. I want to have someone I can talk to about everything. If I have a child, I want their father to be willing to HELP me raise them, not just expect me to do all the work or heaven forbid, hire a nanny to raise them for me.”

“And that’s okay to ask for all of that. Women deserve just as much respect as men do, and for families, both have to do their part. It’s not as simple as one stays trapped while the other is free. It’s the two living together and facing problems as a team.” Percival was hesitant before bringing an arm around her. “And me… I’d be hard pressed to find someone who could put up with my absent mindedness.”

She smiled softly, leaning into him. “I could… I like your personality… I don’t think you're absent minded…”

“Heh… If you say so.” Percival blushed a little. “Again, Robert has a way of pulling me back down to reality. He’s the only other person outside of my family who puts up with my antics.”

“I’d like to meet him. I keep saying to bring these people who mean so much to you by. One of these days please do…”

“I’ll probably bring Robert over when he’s not tangled up in the wires of one of his contraptions. My parents are a few towns over so it’d be a bit harder to bring them to meet you.”

“Well, can’t rush into it…”

“MELINDA LIKES SMART PEOPLE!” Sebastian yelled over.

“SO IT’S A WONDER I KEEP YOU AROUND!”

“BECAUSE I AM!”

Percival was trying his best not to laugh, covering his mouth.

“Is he sure about that? He’s got the attention span of a cat.”

“Cats are very smart. They keep us well trained.” Melinda snickered.

“True, true. They rule the world some what.” Percival smiled. “I’m guessing you’re either a cat person or you have one.”

“I’m a cat person… And I do have a cat back at my house. I’ve had him for a long time now but oh is he so much trouble - I should have known he was trouble because Sebastian gave him to me on my birthday.” Melinda grinned sheepishly. “He’s mine though. You have pets?”

“Personally, no. My parents, however, have two collies back at home they’re raising. I always love seeing them, and well, my parents have hinted there might be a chance of puppies in the future.”

“Oh, that sounds wonderful!” Melinda smiled. “Collies are such beautiful dogs, very smart too.”

“Indeed. I can see that mother’s zoologist side in you. Seems you’re not partial to cats or dogs, but rather like them both.”

“I love them both. I’m honestly fond of all animals - except for spiders. Where I’m from they’re huge.”

“Yikes. Yeah, I’m not too fond of finding spiders in my beakers… Robert especially doesn't’ like finding them taking up residence in his inventions. There was one time he found a nest in one of them and oh boy did he SCREAM.”

Melinda’s eyes were wide. “What tier was it? I-I mean, how big?”

Percival hummed in thought before making a shape with his hand.

“About the size of a small loaf of bread. He was not happy about it in the least since… well, he tried to remove it but it was stuck pretty tight. I had to take a bunsen burner to it. He had to start his invention over again from scratch.”

“That’s pretty small though- I mean, huh…” Careful Mel, CAREFUL.

Percival smirked a little.

“I’m guessing you’ve seen bigger. How big of a nest have you had to deal with?”

She looked to the table in front of them. “... About three of those stacked. Give or take. It was disgusting and it was in our archives.”

Percival’s eyes went wide.

“That’s a full out infestation! How did you ever manage to get them all out!?”

Melinda crossed her arms. “I didn’t. My boss did. There was some fire, books needing serious time to air out and being scanned over for stray silk, but we didn’t lose anything thankfully.”

“Huh… I see… Still, yikes, there must’ve been a lot of little buggers crawling around then.”

“Little… Yeah no… These were big ones… I’m not exaggerating…” Melinda shuddered. “When I first saw them I made Sebastian go after them first… Then he fell in and got his head stuck in one of the nests…”

So what, wolf spiders? That’s still not gigantic…

“Yikes… I’ll be honest, I’ve never seen large spiders outside of books I’ve studied. Can’t imagine having to get rid of them.”

“The large spiders here are nothing. I’ll happily look after the likes of tarantulas, even the largest of specimens. The ones back home are horrible beasts.” Melinda made an estimate with her hands. “About this big across..”

Percival shook his head in bewilderment.

“I… HUH!? Melinda… I… I don’t think there’s been a spider recorded that huge.”

“That’s not even the biggest.” She deadpanned.

“... Okay, how big?”

“Bigger than you.”

Percival’s jaw dropped a bit.

“... I… Melinda… What kind of spiders are they breeding in… whatever country it is you’re from?”

Melinda raised an eyebrow. “The normal kind? Black, kind of dumb, hissing all the time, yellow ones with black stripes - very venomous, don’t even mess with them and of course, the queens… Guh, nasty creatures, genuinely mean, always wanting a fight.”

“I’ve never in my life heard of breeds like that. I’ve heard of black widows that are huge or even wolf spiders but… this doesn’t sound like anything anyone has recorded. Sounds like something someone created in a lab.”

“No one created them in a lab. They’ve been there longer than we have.”  She crossed her arms. “I have sketches to prove it.”

“... Let me see them. I’d like to know what these breeds look like.”

Her eyes lit up before she hurried to where she kept her things, pulling out a book before sitting beside him again.

“... Before I show you, promise me something.”

“Hm?”

“Don’t tell anyone.”

Percival was caught a bit off guard, but nodded.

“Very well then. Let’s see.”

She opened the book, showing a particular section that had drawings of large spiders with four legs instead of eight with gaping mouths. They looked almost comical but eerie at the same time. “The normal run of the mill spider back home. Rather dumb, but mean as well. They’ll bite if they get a chance.” She pointed to another with stripes. “Spider Warrior, venomous, they won’t stop their pursuit unless you kill them first and finally. the one they answer to… The Spider Queen…”

She turned the page, Percival’s eyes going wide at the sight of it.

“Holy moly…”

“Yeah… They’re unpleasant, mean things… They lack venom, surprisingly, considering they’re the  ‘mother’ of all spiders. They can’t exist without her and she can’t exist without them. They’ll leave you alone if you don’t touch their babies… Which, unfortunately, sometimes you have to.”

“Why would you have to? Well, besides getting them out of your things, per say.”

Melinda grinned a little. “They’re important to our culture. They produce three things upon death - glands, silk and a type of meat. The meat, we don’t make use of unless we need to. The silk, however, we use for clothing and the glands, they have healing properties.”

“Huh… I’ve… never heard of such techniques… and these spiders… they look like something out of fantasy yet…” Percival looked at the sketches carefully. “These look… real.”

“Honestly… there’s a lot of things that if I had not seen them myself or spent time dealing with as a child I would not believe… My mother’s a zoologist as you know. One of the things I got to deal with daily was watching a spider nest near our home grow and us occasionally having to surround it with grass traps. As I said, they’re not that smart.”

“I see…” Percival scratched his head a little. “Sounds… dangerous still.”

“It is… But how would I ever learn to deal with them if we didn’t have them around? And my mother, goodness, fast as lightning when it came to it. My father could never match her in that regards.”

“Sounds like some thrilling life… It’s… astounding something like this hasn’t been seen… But… Then again, and I’m just guessing here, the country you’re from isn’t well known.”

“Not well known and not easy to get to.” Melinda closed the book. “It’s a strange place, with strange people and creatures… And yet I love it so… Growing up there was always an adventure… Sometimes scary, sometimes fun..”

“Sounds interesting…” Percival brought a hand to his chin. “It would be amazing to see it for myself…”

Melinda smiled a little, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “Maybe one day I could take you… Though unfortunately, we’re stuck with Sebastian.”

“That’s okay.” Percival gave a gentle look. “And Melinda… I just want you to know this. Do not be scared to talk about things with me. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable about whatever it is you’ve seen or anything… I want you to feel safe.”

Melinda relaxed, nodding as she huddled a little closer to him. “And I trust you… I want to show you the things I’ve seen and done, the people I’ve met, the things I know…”

Percival rested his head against hers a bit, smiling.

“I look forward to hearing about them then.”

• Like 3

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 4

Dark Knowledge Part 4

“You sure it’s okay I’m coming along?” Robert asked as they came up to the steps of the library. “I mean, this is kind of your personal time with Melinda and everything.”

“She insisted I bring someone by at some point, and why not you?” Percival grinned. “Besides, I think you’ll love some of the stuff she’s been showing me. It could help you with that communication device you’re working on.”

“Can’t argue with that.”

Both hurried inside, heading to the second floor.

“Melinda?” Percival called. “Hey, Melinda, I brought a friend today.”

Sebastian looked out from one of the sections, thumbing behind him. “She’ll be right down. The ladder fell over and I’ve just been too amused to put it back just yet.”

“SEBASTIAN, IF THAT’S PERCIVAL I WILL JUMP DOWN MYSELF AND GET YOU!!”

“She’s stuck sitting on the horror section shelf.”

“Oh dear, let me be of assistance.” Percival hurried over, Robert following behind.

They looked above them seeing that Melinda was indeed sitting on the shelf.

She had her arms crossed, an unamused look on her face. “I’m going to kill that assistant of mine.”

Sebastian walked off, whistling. “Have fun boys!”

“Where’s the ladder?” Robert asked.

“The romance section. He hauled it over there for extra measure about my ‘knight’ coming to save me.”

“Got it, let’s get to work, Percival.”

The men sprinted over to the section, finding the long ladder on its side.

“Okay, we should be able to get this back up no problem, just need to lift together.”

Percival nodded, him and Robert getting on both ends, bringing it over to where Melinda was before, putting it up right next to her.

“Thank you.” She sighed in relief, making her way down. “Really sorry about this, Sebastian just couldn’t help himself.”

“It’s fine, really.” Percival smiled, helping her down when she got to the last rung. “What matters is you’re unharmed.”

Melinda smiled, hugging him.

“Thanks to you and your friend here.”

Percival got a stupefied grin, a blush crossing his cheeks as he hugged her back.

“Ehehe.”

Robert smirked at the sight.

How sweet… No wonder Percival can’t help but talk about her.

Melinda pulled away from Percival, looking to Robert.

“So, this is your lab assistant?”

“Yes.” Percival smiled. “Melinda, this is Robert Wagstaff. Robert, this is Melinda.”

Robert held out a hand.

“Pleasure to meet you, Ms. Wickerbottom.”

Melinda took his hand, giving it a shake.

“Pleased to meet you as well. I’ve heard so much about you from Percival.”

“Hopefully good things?”

“Yes and some silly things. Do you really get tangled in wires?”

Robert rubbed the back of his neck.

“Only sometimes if it’s a huge contraption.”

Melinda giggled.

“I see… May I interest you gentlemen in some lunch? I was able to make something before Sebastian got me stuck on the shelf.”

“That would be wonderful.”

“This way then.”

Melinda lead the two men to where she and Percival usually sat, showing a tray of sandwiches, along with a plate of small cakes. “I stopped at the bakery before work today. They make the most delicious little cakes. I hope sandwiches are alright. Figured something light to go with the tea.”

“It’s fine. Right, Percival?”

“Quite.” Percival smiled, sitting down. “Anything new happen recently?”

“Had a few ladies come in and actually try to flirt with Sebastian. His ego has been all over lately thanks to that.” Melinda shook her head, pouring the two tea before serving herself. “I swear I’d be lost without him but some days he is too much.”

Robert chuckled. “He seems to be… quite the interesting fellow.”

“At times.”

“I swear he is actually a cat.” Percival chuckled. “It's the only way to explain his behavior.”

“That's quite a claim.” Robert smirked. “That would be going into the realm of magic.”

Melinda chuckled, shrugging a bit. “I like to believe all possibilities.”

“So I hear.” Robert gave a sheepish look. “When Percival kept telling me about some of the things you were showing him, not the secret stuff as he says, I was wondering if I could get your opinion on one of my contraptions.”

Melinda took a sip of her tea, smiling. “Sure, I’d like that quite a bit. Rare anyone aside from my employer and Percival asks for my opinion.”

“Well…” Robert dug into his book bag, pulling out a sheet paper with a drawing of some box like device on it. “It's this. It's a communication device of sorts. It's supposed to transmit waves of sound from sources be it close or far away.”

Melinda took it into her hands, looking it over, curiosity coming to her eyes.

“That’s incredible… What a concept… This could be quite the helpful tool to society.”

“Yes, I find it would be helpful in transmitting messages to others over long distances and as an extra bit, maybe share music.”

“That would be wonderful. Why, I say it could put records into extinction with the right amount of fine tuning.”

“I just need to get it to work. So far… All I've gotten is explosions and… guh, unspeakable sounds.”

Percival pinched the bridge of his nose.

“My ears were ringing for hours…”

Melinda grimaced. “Well, we’ll fix that right up. I believe I have a book on certain wavelengths somewhere-”

“You do?” Robert got a surprised look.

Melinda grinned. “Yes… I have quite the different kind of books. Some strange, some normal… Some unexpected-”

“Like yours truly?”

Melinda jumped as Sebastian seemed to just appear right behind her. “GAH!”

Percival and Robert found themselves jumping as well.

“W-When did you get there!?” Robert demanded. “I didn't even hear you coming!”

Percival had a hand over his heart. “Are you trying to put me in an early grave!?”

Sebastian put a finger to his chin in thought. “Hm, perhaps… But as for the sound…” He pointed to the floor. “Carpet.”

Melinda pinched the bridge of her nose. “Sebby...”

“Never a dull moment, Cat Man.” Percival shook his head.

“If there was I’d be deeply concerned.” Sebastian grinned. “Now, how are you both doing this fine day?”

“Sebastian, don’t even go there.” Melinda warned.

“Quite well.” Robert answered. “I'm just amazed how much Ms. Wickerbottom knows about certain things, let alone has books on.”

“Oh yes, our dear Melinda has quite the realm of knowledge at the tips of her fingers. Her father and mother educated her well in that department.” Sebastian agreed. “Certainly kept me out of trouble - Mostly.”

“Still not letting that “I’ll give you a honey cake if you touch the lightning rod” incident go, hm?”

“16 years and counting.”

“L-Lightning rod!?” Robert exclaimed.

Percival chuckled.

“That was a fun one to hear.”

“... I have to ask. Where exactly are you from Ms. Wickerbottom? It seems wherever you're from has more knowledge in things than we do here.”

“It’s a far away place.” Melinda replied. “Quite the ways away from here.”

Sebastian gave a cat like grin. “You could say it’s worlds away.”

Melinda gave him a quick warning look.

“Still waiting for the day I get to see it.” Percival smiled a bit. “Just sounds so amazing from what I have heard about it.”

“What else has she told you?”

“I'd say but then I'd have to kill you.”

Sebastian produced a letter opener from one of his pockets. “That could be arranged.”

Melinda in a second, grabbed his ear, yanking him down to her level. “Sebastian, no.”

“Ow, it was a joke!”

Robert chuckled.

“Oh my.”

“Indeed.” Percival chortled.

Sebastian grinned. “Heh, last man that tried to get close to Mel ran screaming when I pulled this out.” He poked the tip of it. “Really, it’s dull, so dull I can’t even cut butter with it.”

“He really is like a protective brother.” Percival chuckled. “I hope I'm acceptable.”

“You are.” Sebastian got a sneaky look in his eyes. “Now if you two crazy kids would just tie the knot and save ol’Sebby from dying of old age from waiting…”

“S-Sebastian, no!” Melinda yelped, turning bright red. Far too soon!

Percival turned bright red as Robert threw his head back laughing.

“I can agree with Sebastian!”

“Though, then again... There is one thing we haven't really tested yet.” Sebastian narrowed his eyes a little. “To see if this man is indeed worthy.”

Melinda narrowed her eyes a little herself. “Sebastian, no-”

“Sebastian, yes!” Sebastian sunk beneath the couch, disappearing.

“What the!?” Percival  stood up, looking around. “W-Where?”

The doors to the room slammed shut, the windows locking.

“What in blazes!?” Robert had panic come to his eyes as he stood as well. “What is this?”

Melinda sighed, irritation… and worry flashing in her eyes. “Sebastian deciding to make the big move FOR me. That’s what this is… Go ahead Sebby…” She closed her eyes. “Let it rip.”

Sebastian reappeared before the two men, leaning over the table. However, he looked different. His ears were pointed, he had black marks on his face and the pupils of his eyes were slitted.

“Greetings, foolish mortals!”

Both men fell back in shock, their hearts pounding like crazy.

“W-What…?” Percival said, almost whispered.

Robert swallowed hard. “On Earth…?”

“Are you ready for your final test, dear Percival?”

“W-What test?!”

“Of what you can handle. See, you make Mel happy but… what you don't know is there is one thing she hasn't told you out of fear.”

“Huh?”

“I mean, she said she wanted to break it to you slowly but honestly, it's things like this you basically have to rip the bandage off.”

“And this thing being…?”

Sebastian gestured to himself. “We’re not of your world. We are, to put it bluntly, not human. From a whole other world quite different from yours. Hence why you’ve never heard of our country or creatures. You literally can’t reach it without the help of one of our kind.”

Melinda nodded, keeping quiet, watching Percival nervously.

“What… What are you then…?”

This time, she spoke up.

“We’re known as shadow beings. As Sebastian looks now is how we naturally are when we’re born… I’ve just spent so much time on Earth I can’t really bring it out anymore… Use it or lose it as Mother would say…” Melinda tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “We’re like humans in some sense but unlike them in many ways… Including magic.”

“Un… Unbelievable…” Robert muttered. “Yet… This… This is really happening… and nothing ever crossed your mind that would hint at something as crazy as this, Percival?”

Percival looked at Melinda, analyzing her with his eyes.

“That's the thing Robert. Some things did… But I never said anything because I didn't want to hurt Melinda by saying something that could offend her. When I first heard about the spiders, I was in disbelief, but the more I learned, I just felt I could trust in her word because of how passionate she was… I just didn't think it was magic…”

Melinda smiled shyly at him, a grateful look in her eyes. “Percival.”

“Well…” Robert got back in his chair, leaning back, a stunned look on his face. “I officially have seen it all.”

“Hm, not exactly.” Sebastian shrugged. “You’ve only seen two shadow beings. Trust me, when I say our world is even more interesting. Heh, maybe I’ll even show you the lightning rod that got me!”

“Sebastian!” Melinda put her head on the table, shoulders shaking, trying not to laugh at the ridiculousness of the mental image that came to her head.

Percival got up, going to her, touching her shoulder.

“Melinda?”

“... Hahaha, lightning rod… You two looking ridiculous… Sebastian laughing like a mad scientist… Pfft!”

Percival chuckled a little.

“That would be something.”

Melinda looked up at him, a small grin on her face. “Indeed… But I don’t think you could handle it as well as Sebby over there.”

Robert snorted. “You should’ve seen what happened yesterday!”

“Sparks everywhere.” Percival helped Melinda to her feet, bringing his arms around her, looking in her eyes. “But Melinda… I… I have to ask… Why me then? I'm probably boring compared to you and your world. I'm but a man devoted to science.”

Melinda returned the embrace, gazing into his eyes.

“Because you, despite all that, have an open mind and heart… You accepted me, the crazy librarian… Goodness, you let me put healing salve on you without knowing what it was!”

“True… That was because I trusted you… I… I guess really am honored to be in your presence, Melinda…”

Melinda blushed a little, smiling softly. She laid her head on his shoulder.

“The honor is mine Percival… If you’d let me… I’d like you to know everything..”

“I'd love that.” Percival rested his head atop of hers.

Melinda closed her eyes, nuzzling him a little bit.

This…. This feels better than I thought it would…

Robert smiled at the sight, Sebastian joining his side.

“Heh, ain't that a sight.” Robert smiled. “I don't think I've seen him this happy.”

Sebastian smiled, giving a nod. “I haven’t seen Melinda this happy either… She’s so calm right now…”

“Science and magic. That's an unlikely pair.”

“Heh, but yet… They’re perfect for each other.”

“Indeed. Though they might still need our help. If you know what I mean.”

Sebastian grinned, putting his hands together, looking for a moment like a true devil.

“Indeed I do, Mr. Wagstaff. I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship.”

• Like 3

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 5

Dark Knowledge Part 5

Melinda was nervous. Generally, she never got this nervous around her own family but… She couldn't help but feel the way she did. She sighed, leaning back on the couch she was on, petting the catcoon in her lap.

"Oh, Puck… I'm so nervous… What if Father and Mother object to me bringing Percival and Robert here? Or worse, what if they don't like the idea of Percival and I possibly being…?" She turned red at the thought. "Ugh… It's just so worrisome."

"Mew." Puck purred a bit, nuzzling her hand.

Melinda smiled a little, rubbing his head. "You always know how to calm me down, my old friend."

"Meow!"

"Melinda, darling!"

Melinda perked up, seeing her parents enter the room.

"Ah, Mother! Father!"

She got up, still holding Puck in her arms as she walked over to them, her parents hugging her.

"So good to see you." Her mother, Veronica, smiled, kissing her cheek. "Jules says you've been doing wonderfully in your archiving skills and that you're handling our dear library with great care."

Melinda smiled sheepishly, kissing hers in return. "I've been doing my best. I just want to do you and Father proud."

"Which you have, my dear." Jules gave a gentle look, squeezing her shoulder. "We couldn't be prouder."

"Thank you both and thank you for coming on such short notice just… need your help with something."

"Anything for our daughter, right Jules?"

"Of course." Jules smiled giving a nod. "Whatever you need, we'll be glad to help."

Melinda sighed in relief, hugging Puck a little tighter. "Thank you."

"Come, let's sit."

Melinda nodded, sitting back on the couch she was on, her parents sitting on the couch across from her.

"So, what is it you wanted to talk about?" Jules asked.

"Well… As you know, I've been on Earth for quite some time…"

"Indeed, seems your ears and markings are non existant now. Nice to know you blend in perfectly. I will miss your ears though." Veronica frowned a little.

"I can still force them out if I want to, but I don't bring them out as often as Sebastian does. He still has perfect control over his." Melinda frowned a bit. "But I am quite happy there…"

"And we're glad to hear it just… don't forget your duty." Jules gave a gentle look. "I may still serve Maxwell, but it won't be long before you're appointed the head archivist."

"And I'm looking forward to that day… But there is something I'd like to discuss… Is… It forbidden to… well, to put it bluntly, to bring a person here… without the intent being what Maxwell usually has?"

Jules got a confused look.

"Well… it's not unheard of but not common. We shadow beings tend to make a lot of human friends, it's just rare to ever bring them here on our accords rather than Maxwell making deals. And Maxwell certainly doesn't object to it considering one of his dearest friends was a human. It's just a matter of being careful."

Melinda looked down, feeling the nervousness feeling flare up again. "Well… It's complicated…"

"Jules, you're worrying her. Melinda, tell us what's wrong."

"... I may be courting one…?"

Jules' eyes got wide.

"Pardon!?"

"Jules!"

"Er! Sorry, Veronica, just… When did this happen?"

Melinda hugged her pet tighter. "Very recently. Sebastian partially set me up when it came to actually um… Trying… He's quite the nice young man. He's a teacher and he's actually curious about our world-"

"You told him!?"

"JULES!"

Veronica gave him a slap upside the head.

"OW! Sorry! Just you think our daughter would let us know she was courting someone!"

"Remember the first young man she tried to court in her youth? You chased him off our lawn with a tentacle spike. A fresh spike at that so it was extra disgusting."

"He was as the humans put it, a tool!"

"Wait!" Melinda held up a hand. "You… don't mind the fact he's… human…?"

Jules and Veronica both raised an eyebrow.

"Why would we care?"

"As long as he's making you happy that's all that counts!"

"But… wouldn't it… be.. I don't know… unorthodox for a shadow being to be courting a human?"

"Never!" Jules laughed. "Melinda, it happens all the time, more than you think."

"There's plenty of that. Some survivors don't wind up dying here you know." Veronica laughed. "There's usually at least a handful every year who join the ranks of us shadow beings in our villages because they've fallen in love!"

"I… I never noticed."

"Well, that's because they wind up looking like us in the end." Veronica wiped away a tear. "Our world can change humans, just like how Earth can change us."

"So, it's quite normal. Heck, one of Sebastian's relatives is related to a human."

"I-I see…"

"So, you want to bring him here?"

"Yes… and a friend of his."

"Well, I don't object to it and I believe we could help. Right, Jules?"

Jules nodded. "Yes, I can draw up a map and get a quick guide book for them so they're not too confused. And we have plenty of food from the harvest."

"You… You mean it?" Melinda got a spark in her eyes. "It… It really is okay for me to bring humans?"

"Of course!" Veronica smiled softly. "Any friend of our dear daughter is welcomed here. Right?"

"Of course and I'd like to meet this young man."

"Well… I hope you'll approve of him… He's a scientist, yet he's open to magic."

"My dear, we live in a land where science and magic work together."

"So, he is more than welcomed."

Melinda heaved a sigh of relief, giggling a bit as Puck nuzzled her. "Oh thank you… Thank you!"

Jules got up, walking over to his daughter, kissing her on the head.

"You're welcome my dear Melly. Love you so much."

Melinda smiled, kissing his chin. "I love you too Father… I really am glad."

"Good, and that's all I want for you, to be happy. And if you're in love with a human, that's more than okay. This is the first man I think I've heard you speak positively of in this way."

She grinned. "He's the first one Sebastian actually approves of and who can stand him."

"That is something then. I can't wait to meet him."

"I can't wait to bring him here."

"Miau!"

Puck cuddled up to Melinda.

"Mew!"

Melinda laughed, hugging him close. "Why, hello there. I can't wait for Percival to meet you too!"

"Meow!"

She nuzzled him. "Such a good catcoon."

Puck purred, keeping close to his owner.

Jules and Veronica smiled at each, happy to see such joy in their daughter's eyes.

"This Percival must be quite the man."

"To get Melinda this excited? He has to be."

"We'll be the judge of that once we see him."

oooooo

Percival and Robert were waiting patiently in the library, both fiddling with something in their hands. Percival doodling in a sketchbook, Robert tinkering with a small device.

"Can't believe we're going to see Melinda's world today…" Robert muttered. "I'm not sure what to prepare for."

"I'm not sure either." Percival sighed, closing his sketchbook. "I may know a lot from what Mel told me but even I'm not sure how to prepare."

"Expect the unexpected."

Both looked to see Sebastian walking up to them, a grin on his face.

"Our world is very random in nature and can change at the drop of a hat. You can thank our king for that."

"King?" Percival blinked. "You have a monarchy?"

"Eh, I suppose." Sebastian shrugged. "It's more than just being the one who makes the rules for people to obey. The ruler of the land can change things with a wave of their hand and all creatures that live their obey their orders. As they should in our king's case since he created a lot of them."

"I see…"

"And you will most likely not be meeting him."

"Does he have something against humans?" Robert gulped.

"Oh no no no, well, most humans. But I'm sure he'd be okay with you two. You haven't done anything that would set him off."

"But… what would? Just so we know."

"Don't do anything stupid and the biggest of all, do not commit treason. That's the biggest offense for him."

Percival nodded.

"That last one makes sense… But what classifies as stupid?"

"Eh, a lot of things, but I'd rather not read that list. I'll just cut to the point and say he has a record for tormenting people who have done unspeakable things."

"Noted… Sounds like a nice guy." Robert gave a flat look. "Kind of…"

"It's Maxwell. He's not the best but it could be worse, trust me."

All three looked to the side seeing Melinda was now present, a gentle look in her eyes.

"But I promise he won't lay a finger on you."

"Mel!" Percival grinned, hurrying over to her, hugging her.

Melinda giggled, hugging Percival tightly.

"Nice to see you too, Percival." She nuzzled him a little. "You ready to see a completely different world?"

"I am. When do we leave?"

"Now." She said, gesturing for Sebastian and Robert to come over. "Sebastian, shall we?"

"Just bring out the paper and we can get on with the show."

Melinda nodded, holding out a small scrap of paper that had an odd looking symbol on it.

"Take us to the world in darkness."

Shadow hands came up from the ground, engulfing the group in a matter of moments. Percival and Robert felt a twinge of fear as it went dark, shutting their eyes tightly. Melinda and Sebastian stood tall as the surroundings changed from that of the library to an open field full of all kinds of trees and other various foliage.

"Percival." Melinda touched his shoulder. "Open your eyes, we're here."

Percival opened one eye, before the other snapped open, a gasp escaping his mouth as he looked at the surrounding area.

"Is this…?"

"Only a piece of it." Melinda smiled. "But yes, this the Shadow World. It resembles Earth, but yet, has its own look to it."

"Yeah… the colors here seem so different… and the trees, while resembling actual plants back on Earth, look like their own kind… Robert, you're seeing this, right?"

"I am." Robert was walking around, his eyes looking up at the sky. "Quite the overcast too. Is that normally how the weather is or do you see sky once and awhile?"

"Actually, this is normal weather. We have sporadic bursts of seeing the sky clear but as it's autumn everything's a touch overcast right now. Summer, you would not have seen a cloud in the sky… And plenty of things being susceptible to fire damage." Melinda responded, glancing up as well. "I'd say… about twenty days now to winter, wouldn't you say Sebastian?"

"Sounds about right to me."

"Differing weather patterns. How intriguing." Robert put a hand to his chin. "We're still two months away from our winter back on Earth."

"And it seems the weather conditions are more extreme, based on what you said…" Percival frowned a little. "I'm… guessing wild fires are common in the summer around here. How do you cope with that?"

Sebastian smirked. "We get the ice staffs out. Or we have buckets ready… But to be perfectly honest, more often than not we wind up using our hands with special gloves."

"My father has been trying to figure out something else to work with it since drought also happens."

"Hm…" Robert started pacing a little, going in a circle.

"Thinking of something, Robert?" Percival raised an eyebrow. "You're doing your circle pace thing."

"Well… I wonder if it would be possible to invent some… kind of device that could put the fires out based on some sort of temperature detection system. Something that could throw water on the flames or least keep whatever is flammable cool…"

"Flinging water… Hm…"

"Well, we also have copious amounts of glaciers due to…" Sebastian and Melinda both shuddered. "The pengulls."

"Bloody hate those things."

"Pengulls?" Percival got a curious look. "I don't think you mentioned those to me."

"For good reason." Melinda brought a hand to her face. "They are probably the rudest creatures Maxwell created."

"How come?"

"They peck you because you look at them funny!" Sebastian exclaimed. "They will chase you for HOURS to attempt to get you!"

"There was actually a fatality a few years ago… That being, whatever we had left of our crops… They also EAT anything on the ground!"

Percival and Robert got mortified looks.

"… This King of yours sounds like he's doing a terrible job at keeping you guys alive!" Robert exclaimed. "Why did he make those bloody things!?"

"He's not aiming for us, dear." Melinda shook her head. "He made them because… If I remember the story right - he was actually exhausted and was annoyed with some complaint someone other than us had made."

"Thus the horrid pengulls were born."

"... Whoever made that complaint was a huge idiot."

"Oh trust us, we know." Melinda shook her head. "This is why you're careful about what you say around the king or least in the open air. He might turn your words on you."

Robert brought a hand over his mouth.

"O-Oh… Um… Uh… I didn't mean it!"

They both snickered.

"No worries. He's not going to attack you off the bat."

"I'm guessing he has other matters to attend to." Percival patted Robert on the back, trying to calm the man down as he was currently shaking a bit.

"He's always got his hands full with business matters and what not." Sebastian shrugged. "He's got a lot of problems, but one minor insult isn't one of them. Though honestly, what you said isn't really an insult. People have said and done much worse."

Robert sighed in relief, his shaking ceasing. "Thank heavens… I really don't want to make enemies with a king!"

"Then don't do anything stupid. Anyways!" Sebastian stepped away, spinning a little. "How about we stop worrying and start walking? There's a lot of world here to see."

"And I want to see as much as I can." Percival looked to Melinda. "Least, whatever it is I'm allowed to see, that is."

Melinda smiled. "I'll do my best to show you as much as I can… Come on." She lead the way as the others fell in step behind her. "If you see a stump with a ball of yarn next to it, keep an eye out. There's a creature called a catcoon that lives in them. They're very docile creatures at times - though they really are more like Earth cats."

"Really now?" Percival had wonder come to his eyes.

"Oh yeah, just ask Puck." Sebastian grinned.

"Who?"

"MEW!"

Puck came running up, nuzzling up to Melinda's leg.

"Mew! Mew! Mew!"

Melinda smiled, kneeling down, petting him. "There's my kitty."

"It looks like a raccoon but with some definite feline features." Robert noted.

Puck looked at the newcomers, tilting his head. "Meow?"

Percival knelt down as well, holding a hand out to the catcoon.

"Hello there, my name's Percival. You must be the cat Melinda mentioned having."

Puck leaned over, sniffing his hand before bumping his head against it, purring.

"Aww…" Percival scratched behind his ears. "Who's a good kitty?"

The purring grew louder, Puck leaning up more.

"Mew!"

"Heh… Cute."

"Cute, but a troublemaker." Melinda giggled. "But he travels with me around here. Well, save the throne room, but that's because Maxwell doesn't want pets in the archives. That aside, Puck follows me everywhere and picks up things I might need."

"I see." Percival found himself laughing as Puck made his way on to his shoulders. "And with having thumbs I see how he could pick up stray objects or whatever it is you need."

"Except snacks. I can never ask him to bring me anything. Biscuits, ice cream, whatever it is he will eat it himself."

"Nya!" Puck purred, nuzzling Percival's neck.

"H-Hey!" Percival laughed. "That tickles!"

"Mew!"

"Goodie, the cat approves of Melinda's man!" Sebastian clapped. "Now just a matter of the parents."

"Eh?"

"Oh, I forgot to mention… My parents wanted to invite you over for dinner.."

Percival turned a bit red as Robert got a sneaky look, elbowing him.

"Meetin' the parents already?"

"I…. Uh…" Percival gulped. "I guess so…"

I mean… We… We haven't really done anything typical for couples yet we consider ourselves… Oh stars and atoms…

Sebastian patted his back.

"Hey, you two have technically been courting for some time now. Courting doesn't mean being over the top the romantic. It means spending time together and wanting to get to know the other person better out of loving interest."

"R-Right, thank you Sebastian… Your wife must be glad to have such a catch."

Sebastian threw his head back laughing.

"Percival, I'm single. I'm only a romantic expert because I've dated plenty of women. All, while charmed by my good looks, just found someone who was better for them."

Melinda smirked. "This one will never be tied down by something like a wedding band. He'll still court the ladies even when he's old and wrinkled."

"That's about two to four hundred years away missy!"

"I see." Percival chuckled. "Well… um… I don't know how much time we have before I meet your parents but… can you at least show me as much as you can of this terrain?"

"We have a few hours, don't worry." Melinda smiled, leading him along. "Come on!"

oooooo

"What's the report today, Jules?"

"No deaths accounted for. Seems the group we have in right now has been able to best the hounds and avoid bearger successfully. "

"I see."

Maxwell looked over the field they were in. There wasn't much to see save some pine trees and some other foliage. He noted the birchnuts were starting to lose their leaves, some starting to become barren.

"Won't be long before winter comes."

"Indeed, My King."

Maxwell wandered around, Jules following suit, scribbling things down in the book in his hands.

"And the shadow creatures have been content and your "old friend" hasn't tried anything as of late."

"Glad to know that terror beak is keeping in line." Maxwell scoffed a little. "Cato really needs to mind his manners."

"Indeed, My King."

"Whoa! Look at that!"

"Hm?"

Maxwell turned his attention to the new voice, seeing a young man with wild slicked back hair looking at a statue of an odd looking winged creature. Maxwell titled his head, noting the man didn't have pointed ears or markings so he was clearly human, but he didn't recall bringing him in.

"Jules… Did… I forget a contract I made with someone…?"

Jules looked to where Maxwell was looking, confusion coming to his eyes.

"That's… not one of yours, My King… I've never seen him before."

They went quiet as they saw another man with glasses join him, both looking at the statue with wonder.

"... Okay, what's going on here-"

"That's Glommer!"

Maxwell stopped short as a woman came up. One he recognized.

"Isn't… that your daughter, Jules?"

Jules nodded.

"Indeed it is… Oh! Those must be the two chaps she wanted to bring in. Okay, nothing to worry about, Sire. They can be trusted from what Mel told me."

"Hm, I see." Maxwell put a hand to his chin, his eyes drawn to the man with wild hair. "Interesting…"

Very interesting...

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Does Puck have any different features from any other catcoon? I know that Albert has a collar on Lady but I was just curious.

Puck has a collar as well and the only other thing different.about him is he's a bit more scruffy and has ruffles in regards to fur.

• Like 1

Dark Knowledge Part 6

"Glommer?" Percival blinked. "What's Glommer?"

"He's one of the many creatures unique to our world." Melinda giggled, looking at the statue. "One is born every full moon at this statue. Or rather, one is attracted to this place because of the flower that grows here. Whoever holds the flower, Glommer follows because he loves the smell."

"He's a good companion." Sebastian grinned as he walked up. "He reduces headaches with his magic. Just standing near him can soothe the mildest of migraines."

Robert looked at Sebastian before looking at the statue of Glommer.

"... I want one."

"Only one drawback." Melinda smirked. "He makes a bit of a mess."

"Define, mess." Percival raised an eyebrow.

"He makes random pink goop once and awhile."

"And this goop is… what exactly?" Robert blinked.

Melinda and Sebastian looked at each other before shrugging.

"We don't know."

"Makes great fire fuel though."

"And brings glom gloms."

Percival and Robert looked to one another confusion in their eyes.

"Glom glom?" They mouthed to each other. "What on Earth is a glom glom?"

"They're baby glommers!" Sebastian grinned, pressing his cheeks with his hands. "And they're one of the most adorable things ever!"

Melinda sighed happily. "Oh, they're so tiny and sweet. Always up for a cuddle and make just the sweetest little sounds."

Percival felt his heart melting at the look on Melinda's face.

"I see…"

She smiled giving a nod. "Yes… Just tiny babies, need all the attention they can get to grow big and strong… Oh goodness I wish I could have just a basket full of them!"

Sebastian smirked, going over to Percival, leaning in, whispering in his ear.

"Hey, maybe you could get a basket of those as a way of proposing."

Percival turned bright red, giving Sebastian a death glare.

"H-HEY!"

Sebastian just grinned, bringing his hands together.

"Oh, come now. You know she'd love you forever."

"Guh. You're impossible! You know that!? It's way too soon to be thinking about anything like that! I just got introduced to this world!"

"And?"

"And…. And…"

"What did you say Sebastian that made Percival so red?" Robert smirked.

"NOTHING!"

"I said he could give a basket of little glom gloms so dear Mel would marry him!"

"Oh you two are thinking of kids already?"

Percival brought his hands to his face.

"You two are impossible!"

Robert and Sebastian looked to each other giving a shrug.

"I guess he doesn't want kids?"

"Pity, Mel wanted children… Especially sons."

Percival stayed quiet, keeping his face hidden.

"Alright, that's enough you two." Melinda shook her head, her cheeks a bit red, going to Percival, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Percival?"

Percival didn't dare move his hands.

Melinda frowned before reaching her hands up his, moving them away.

"Hey… Don't cover up your face like that, you've done nothing wrong… and I don't like it when I can't see your eyes."

"M-Mel… I…"

Melinda gave a small smile, kissing his cheek.

"Relax."

He felt heat rush to his cheeks, as he gave a small kiss on her cheek in return.

"Okay…"

"Good." Melinda giggled. "I want you to have fun while you're here… And… It isn't unusual for us to be thinking about some things at this point. It's not wrong… Least… I hope we're not going too fast… Not really the best at this."

"No, no, I just didn't want you thinking I'm going too fast." Percival held her hands. "I just… want you happy, Mel…"

Melinda squeezed his hands gently. "And I'm very happy…"

"Good."

They gazed at each other for a moment… and didn't even take note of Sebastian and Robert moving around them, Sebastian getting behind Melinda, Robert getting behind Percival.

"Three…" Sebastian mouthed.

"Two…" Robert mouthed back.

"One!"

They pushed the two together, their noses bumping against each other, both of them turning bright red in the cheeks and their eyes going wide.

"U-U-Um…" Percival gulped.

Melinda swallowed hard. "Ehehehe…?"

"You two are so cute." Sebastian cackled.

"S-Shut it, Cat Man." Percival glared.

Sebastian squished his cheeks together.

"Aww you're annoyed!"

"Sebastian… No candy canes." Melinda warned.

"Hmph. Kill joy." Sebastian crossed his arms.

"C-Can we please get back to exploring?" Percival offered. "And just worry about matters like this later?"

"I'll have to agree, sadly." Robert sighed dramatically. "Much as I would love to see these two kiss, I would love to see more of this place before we meet Mel's parents and such."

Sebastian sighed as well.

"If you "normies" insist…"

"Come along then." Melinda started leading the way, her right hand intertwined with Percival's as they walked.

Percival felt himself relaxing as they began their journey again. He stole a glance at Melinda, smiling a bit before looking around again… his eyes landing on a man who wasn't too far from them. His squinted his eyes a bit to get a better look at him.

The man seemed tall and had thick reddish brown hair and piercing green eyes. The long pinstripe cloak he wore fluttered a bit in the wind as he moved around, looking at the terrain.

"Mel?"

Melinda didn't turn to him. "Yes, Percival?"

"Who is that man over there?" He asked, gesturing with his head. "Is he from your home village?"

She followed his gaze, her eyes growing wide before she shook her head.

"Not from my village… He's… No one you should concern yourself with. He's just tending to the land."

"Oh… Alright then…" Percival still couldn't help but stare at him… but soon looked away as soon as the man looked his direction. "He means us no harm, right?"

"Of course not. He won't harm us - or at the very least me." She waved in his direction.

The man waved back before going about his day, another man following behind him with a book.

"So, you know him?"

"I work with him…. That's King Maxwell."

Percival's eyes went wide.

"That's… your king?"

Melinda nodded. "Yes. He's not so intimidating in person is he? And the man who was following him is my father."

"I see… I just… I guess I wasn't sure what to expect a king like yours to look like."

She smiled, giving a nod. "I can understand why… Truth be told, that's to me how he's looked since I was young."

"Interesting…" Percival shook his head. "Well… Care to show me more?"

"Hm… Well where do you want to go next? That's the real question here. There's a swamp not too far from here but.. Mgh… I hate swamps.."

"I rather you not be uncomfortable… and honestly, that sounds disgusting."

"They are. The only good things are reeds which we use to create our paper - but if I wanted paper I'll go back to my library!"

"Then we'll skip the swamp. Hm… Can we see where your village is?"

"Of course! Right this way."

Melinda led him along, leading the group to a place that was thicker in trees. It was almost hard to move through the trees with how packed they were. Soon enough, there was a parting, revealing a small area of cottages with people going about their day.

Percival and Robert's eyes were wide in wonder as they looked at the people, seeing their elongated ears and black marks.

"Ah, home sweet home." Sebastian remarked. "Just like how we remembered."

"Indeed my friend."

Robert found himself drawn to those working on odd looking devices, making tools with the assistance of some of them.

"Incredible…" He whispered.

"Oh dear, I think you got his heart." Percival chuckled. "He loves seeing the inventive works of others."

Melinda giggled. "Well, I'm glad then."

"C-Can I join…?" Robert asked, almost pleaded. "That looks like fun…"

Melinda gave a warm look. "Go ahead, introduce yourself. They love meeting new people."

Robert grinned before heading over. "I'll catch up with you later, Percival!"

"I better keep an eye on him." Sebastian smirked, following after him. "You two stay out of trouble now."

"Speak for yourself!"

Percival chuckled a bit.

"Guess it's just you and me now." He gave a gentle look. "Anywhere you would like to show me?"

She gave a sneaky look, guiding him along until they came upon a house, there was a large bookcase that could be seen through the front window.

"The house I grew up in."

Percival grinned, eyes wide in wonder.

"It's beautiful, Melinda…"

Melinda had a look of joy in her eyes at this.

"Oh, you mean it?"

"Yes… It's humble… and it looks comfortable…" Percival smiled, feeling his heart melt again at the joy in her eyes… and before he knew it, he was nuzzling her. "Seems like the place you would be raised in. It matches you."

She blushed a little before returning the nuzzle, keeping close to him. "It's home sweet home…"

"I'm glad I get to see it…" Percival sighed happily.

"Wanna see the inside?" She asked with a small grin.

"The library I think I see in there in particular? Yes!"

She laughed and lead him inside, showing him around including the large room that was the family library.

Percival looked around, feeling himself get more and more excited as he took everything in. Pulling out certain tomes, looking over their contents.

"Look at all this… I… Goodness… so much information in such small books…"

Melinda felt pride swell up… And her heart melting as she watched Percival.

"A lot of this done by my father at that…"

"He's done his work well… This… Wow… And this is what you get to do too?"

She felt some heat rush to her face. "Y-Yes…"

"That's wonderful, Melinda." Percival smiled gently. "You do an amazing work. Preserving history is very important. It's what help others learn from the past, keep culture alive and even the spirits of those before us alive in a sense."

Melinda smiled giving a nod. "Exactly, it helps keep everything that needs to be remembered memorized… Great battles, old friends, different times in our great land.."

"Just like we do on Earth with our books too." Percival sighed happily. "So much to learn… I want to learn all I can… For knowledge is power as some say."

"And you're welcomed to any of these books at any time my dear."

"Thank you."

She smiled gesturing to a couch by a fireplace in the room. "Shall we?"

Percival smiled sitting down with her.

"We shall."

Melinda sighed happily laying her head on his shoulder. She could spend all night like this if she wished.

Percival brought an arm around her, resting his head against hers.

"You live in quite the world, Melinda."

"And I can't imagine a better one… Especially now that you know about it." She huddled close to him, nuzzling him a little.

"Oh?" Percival chuckled, nuzzling back.

"Yeah." Melinda giggled. "You mean a lot to me you know."

"And you mean a lot to me…"

"Percival…"

"Melinda…"

She closed her eyes nuzzling him keeping her head tucked under his. Percival relaxed, keeping her close, resting his head gently against hers.

"So would you really want to be with a human?"

She sighed happily.

"I would. I would love that more than anything."

Percival chuckled, stroking her hair.

"Well… let's still give it time. I want to understand your world first, but that doesn't change how I feel about you. Still the same smart, brilliant librarian I've gotten the pleasure to know. I just want to understand your culture since that's part of you."

Melinda smiled nuzzling his hand. "And you're still the same sweet professor I've grown to care about.."

Percival hesitated before kissing her head.

"Is this okay?"

Melinda blushed a little before kissing his cheek.

"As long as this is okay."

Percival blushed.

"I don't mind."

She smiled kissing his cheek again. "Good."

"How much longer do we have till I meet your folks?"

"Father should be home soon from working with Maxwell. Should be anytime now."

"Guess we'll just stay here then. Think we'll be able to see more afterward, maybe at night?"

"Well… about that… I mean, we could, but not without a torch. You do not want to be consumed in darkness here."

"I can understand not wanting to be blind but is there something else I should know?"

Melinda moved back, looking him in the eyes, a serious look in her own.

"The Grue, the monster of the night will kill you. The darkness is her very essence. She will attack without mercy and with barely enough warning."

"Noted." Percival had concern in his eyes. "Sounds awful."

"It is…"

Percival frowned.

"Did… it happen to you?"

Melinda frowned crossing her arms.

"When I was about sixteen. I was rushing home and my torch went out. Right before I could even see my house's light… She rushed me.."

"Oh goodness…" Percival cupped one of her cheeks in his hand.

She placed her hand over his. "It hurt… It hurt an awful lot… But before anything really bad could happen a light came on. Sebastian had been heading home as well when he heard my screaming."

"I'm glad he was there then. Sounds like an awful monster."

"She is… A true demon."

"Mel…" Percival stroked her hair.

"I don't hold it against her though, I just have to be careful… And so do you.."

"And I will." Percival pressed his forehead to hers. "You won't lose me to darkness."

She gazed into his eyes. "Good. Because losing you would hurt me dearly."

Percival gave a gentle smile, cupping both her cheeks in his hands.

"Mel…"

Melinda smiled softly cupping his face in her hands. "Percival..."

"Mew!"

Both separated as Puck hopped onto the couch between them, staring up at them innocently,

"Meow?"

Both fell quiet before laughing.

"Oh, Puck." Melinda scooped him up. "You silly kitty."

"Very silly." Percival chuckled.

Puck purred, bumping his head against Melinda's chin.

"At least you're not kneading again."

"Mel! We're here!"

"Be right there." She called getting up, carrying Puck as she lead Percival out of the room. "I was wondering when you and mother would get home-"

Her mother rushed past her, going straight to Percival, looking him over.

"So this the man?"

"U-Um hello." Percival gulped, giving a small wave.

"Mother, this is Percival." Melinda giggled. "He's the one I've been… courting."

"Awww. Pleasure to meet you. I'm Veronica Wickerbottom. Goodness, what a handsome young man." She giggled.

Percival blushed.

"T-Thank you, Madam… And um… Greetings to you too, Mr. Wickerbottom." Percival gave his best smile, offering a hand to Jules. "I've heard so much about you from your daughter."

Jules smiled warmly, shaking his hand. "And I've heard much about you from her as well. You've been making her so happy I'm glad to meet you finally."

"Pleasure is all mine. This world of yours is extraordinary."

"Well, we find your world amazing too." Veronica smiled. "Don't sell yourself short, Mr. Higgsbury."

"Y-You can just call me Percival, Madam." Percival gave a bow.

"And he's polite too." Veronica gave a gentle look. "You've really found a good one Mel."

"I like to think so. He puts up with Sebastian too."

"So we've heard." Jules chuckled. "We were just about to start dinner. How does pasta sound? Along with some pierogi?"

Percival's eyes grew wide as he nodded quickly. "That sounds lovely! I haven't had those foods in a long time."

"Then the Veronica special is for tonight! Melinda, will you come help me with it, please?"

"Yes, Mother."

The two women left, leaving Percival alone with Jules.

"I guess we could get the table ready?" Percival offered.

"Indeed." Jules smirked. "I believe we have a lot to talk about."

Percival gulped. "O-Oh?"

"About how serious you are about being with my little girl. You know Mel is my only daughter right? She has no brothers or sisters, so I am a touch protective."

"I-I can understand that.. And… your daughter is one of the best women I've ever met. I think it's pretty serious."

Jules chuckled as he set the table. "She's always been fascinated by Earth. Especially since it allowed her to be something different - you know when she got older, she really didn't like her marks anymore or her ears. She thought they made her look odd."

"She never told me that."

"My Mel doesn't like putting everything out to the world. Ours or yours. She didn't want to scare people. Seeing how the human world was she wanted to blend in. But either world has an effect…"

"I see…. Well, as I told her before, I'll respect her privacy on matters she doesn't want to talk about. In the end, Mr. Wickerbottom… I just want to make her happy."

Jules smiled warmly. "And that's all I needed to know. I won't bother threatening you with feeding you to the Grue - truth be told not even the local boys fall for that one anymore - and there have been plenty of protective fathers who threatened it."

Percival chuckled.

"Well, I'm glad I have your approval. I really do love her and want only the best for her."

"Good."

Percival smiled.

"I hope I'll be able to fit in this world somewhat at some point."

"Oh, trust me, with time." Jule smiled, getting to work on setting the table. "You will."

Everyone always does eventually.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I couldn't stop repeating how cute this was as I read through it ^_^

I have a question, is there gonna be any comics relating to Book of Shadows? Especially between Malinda and Percival? :)

There's a good chance, just a matter of what happens during drafting. I usually do comics when I find visuals would work better than just words. And those are generally reserved for shorter things just like the comics we got in Survive the Shadows and Light in the Shadows. :wilson_wink:

Buuut hm... something for these two. Well, there might be something. But we shall see.

• Like 1

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 7

Dark Knowledge Part 7

"And that is why we always have weapons lying around. You never know when hounds will come."

"I see…" Percival said, jotting down notes in his journal. "And while they are Maxwell's creation, they only really answer to their own impulses when he's not around."

"Yup." Melinda nodded. "It's just how they are."

"Fascinating." Percival chuckled a bit. "I'm going to need another journal soon. Nearly two weeks of studies and I already have one filled with contents about your world."

Melinda had a sneaky look come to her eyes before she produced a leather bound journal. "Consider it taken care of. As a sort of… anniversary present."

Percival's eyes lit up.

"Mel…"

"It's all yours."

Percival took it before hugging her.

"Thank you so much!"

"Hey, guys!"

Both looked up, seeing Robert waving to them.

"I got to show my latest invention! It's a good one!"

"We'll be right there, Robert!" Percival chuckled taking Melinda hand, heading to where Robert was. "Wonder what it is this time."

"I'm sure whatever it is it will be helpful. A lot of the stuff he's been making as of late have been rather useful around the village."

"Indeed."

They hurried to where Robert was, the man standing next to an odd box shaped contraption that had catapults attached to it that were spinning as steam came out of an exhaust pipe.

"Now what on Earth is this?" Percival asked, curiosity in his eyes.

"It looks intriguing."

"I'll show you." Robert looked off in the distance.

Percival and Melinda followed his gaze, seeing Sebastian standing not too far off near some scarecrows, a staff with a red gem attached to the end in his hands.

"Sebastian, light them up!"

Sebastian grinned wickedly, the red gem lighting up as he swung it at the scarecrows, flames spiraling out. The scarecrows were on fire in seconds, Percival and Melinda a little baffled at what was going.

What exactly is this accomplishing…?

Robert grinned as the device made a loud noise. The catapults were loaded with snow balls that came out of the machine's base and then were flung at the flames, putting them out instantly, the scarecrows completely intact.

"Tada!" Robert waved his hand. "I present, the fling-o-matic! It throws snowballs on to fires and puts them out in moments!"

"Well I'll be! Rob, that's brilliant!" Percival laughed. "It's perfect!"

"Oh, this will make summer so much easier! Can it be used to revitalize crops?" Melinda asked, an excited look in her eyes.

"Yep. Since the snow melts instantly in heat, it doubles as a watering mechanism. Just have to be sure crops are in range."

"Oh lovely!"

Robert nodded, a giddy look in his eyes.

"I must say the inventors around here have been so helpful in my studies. I still haven't gotten the communication device perfected, but I'm close. I even have a name for it now. Radio."

"That's wonderful to hear, Robert." Percival smiled. "While I haven't learned much here that can help me on Earth, I've certainly learned a lot in regards to the laws of this world and how science and magic can come together. Though I've barely scratched the surface of understanding this place. That's going to take a bit more time."

"Heh, pity you don't have the ol' dark knowledge." Sebastian remarked, twirling the fire staff in his hand. "You'd have everything you ever wanted to know and then some right there."

"Sebastian!"

"Pardon?" Percival blinked.

"Dark Knowledge?" Robert added. "What's that?"

Melinda rubbed the back of her neck. That one was harder to explain. "Well… It's something the king gives to people he essentially makes a deal with or sees great potential in. It's not handed out as easily as let's say the deerclops stomping through because there's too many beefalo - again."

"Ah… So it's a power, in a sense."

"Right on the mark." Sebastian chuckled. "Anybody can get it, just depends if Maxwell thinks you're worth his time. Mel has it because of her duty and such. She can casts spells no one else can and can make books that allow her to do so. All pacts are different depending on what someone specializes in, but one thing that is basic is you do gain knowledge of this world. It's what gives people a fighting chance to survive."

Percival placed a hand to his chin. "Huh… That's quite the interesting ability… Heh, you people are still so full of surprises."

"Just how we are." Sebastian twirled his staff. "I sadly don't have an dark knowledge, but eh, I'm fine. I've got my magic and I'm quite happy with it."

"And I'm pretty sure if you had it you'd find a way to be even more sneaky than usual."

"... Maybe."

Robert smirked, hitting a button the fling-o-matic, causing Sebastian to get buried in snowballs.

"I'd say definitely."

Sebastian yelped. "Why you little!" He grinned, producing a second staff this one with a blue gem. "Oooh Robbie~"

"Oh look at the time!" Robert made a break for it, Sebastian chasing after him. "I think I hear Andrea calling me! I think she wants me to help her with another device!"

"I'LL TEACH YOU TO HELP MY LITTLE SISTER!"

Melinda shook her head. "I better go make sure they don't kill each other."

"Good idea." Percival rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm going to keep looking around if you don't mind."

"Not at all." She gave a nod before hurrying after the two.

Percival shook his head, deciding to look further into the surroundings he was in. He hummed to himself as he took note of the some creatures running through.

Let's see… Beefalo… Gobblers… Koalefants… Least I'm getting names down. It's a start...

He found a rock to sit down on for a moment, making some quick sketches, sighing a bit.

That dark knowledge sounds like it could be rather helpful… Then again… What price does one pay for it? Would it even be worth it?

There was the sound of footsteps behind him.

"So, I finally was able to track you down…"

Percival looked behind him, his eyes growing wide.

Right behind him, was none other than King Maxwell. He wore a grin on his face as he came closer.

"I've heard a lot about you from Jules and a little bit from Melinda."

"Y-You have…?" Percival gulped, soon jumping to his feet, quickly bowing. "Oh! U-Um, M-My Liege!"

Maxwell chuckled, holding up a hand. "Please, no need to be so formal. I actually have come to talk to you man to man… or rather, man to shadow, if I may?"

"S-Sure." Percival stood up straight. "What can I do for you?"

"I've heard of the knowledge you've been gathering about our world and your relationship with my youngest and best archivist." His gaze turned serious. "You and your companion have been learning and inventing it seems as much as you can and I'm quite intrigued and quite interested in what you have to offer this world."

"T-That so…? I mean… Robert has been on the biggest inventing streak I've ever seen in his career. He's so close to completing the device he's been working on for months and it's great to see him progress. I'm sure he has a lot to offer with that alone. Me… I haven't really done much other than record things Melinda already has. I'm not sure how useful I would be in repeating what everyone else is saying."

"You have the perspective of those I've brought here. Your friend will find his way in time but he's not interested in my archivist. I'm asking as someone who could help channel that information into items the survivors may use to aid their survival. I'm asking as the king, do you want the knowledge?"

Percival's eyes went wide.

"Are… Are you… Offering me dark knowledge…?"

Maxwell grinned.

"Yes… If you want it."

Percival couldn't help but feel a chill go through him… yet… he couldn't help but feel excitement too.

"... What's the catch?"

Maxwell chuckled.

"You'll help create new ways for survival here and of course, swear allegiance to me if you marry Melinda."

"... That's it?"

"That's it."

"... Well…. I have been considering proposing to her soon… and… I want to be able to help her with her duties…"

"And she could use someone she could trust - and contrary to some beliefs I actually do want those who work for me to be happy."

Percival thought about it for another moment before holding his hand out.

"King Maxwell… You have yourself a deal."

Maxwell chuckled shaking his hand. "A good decision I assure you… Though I am going to apologize with what must happen now."

"Huh?"

Energy came to Maxwell's hands before he placed them on Percival's head, the dark power rushing through him. "For this."

Percival cringed, bringing his hands to his head, gripping at his hair, feeling the new knowledge take hold in his mind.

"Ngh! GAAAAAH!"

Maxwell moved his hands away, steadying the man when he stumbled. "I know it hurts. Trust me, I don't like doing this to those I choose to give it to."

Percival panted, the pain ebbing a little but still biting him at him.

"Augh… My head…"

"Easy now…" Maxwell sat him down under a tree. "Just try to relax. Melinda will be returning in a few moments. She'll know what to do with you.

Percival nodded, holding his head tighter

Maxwell turned away, disappearing in a burst of shadow magic as the forest grew quiet.

Percival stayed where he was, trying to process everything that was going through his mind.

All this information… Beasts… Shadow Creatures… Inventions… Guh… Too much at once!

"Percival?" Melinda's voice was heard calling. "Percival- Oh goodness." She ran over to him worry in her eyes. "What's wrong?"

"My head…" He groaned, looking up at her weakly.

Her eyes grew wide in alarm. "Hold on… Are you hearing any strange sounds?" She asked going through her supplies quickly.

"Yeah… I hear voices."

She produced a crown made of flowers, placing it over his head, bringing him close to her. "I was afraid this would happen. What did you do to make your sanity drop?"

"The king…" Percival closed his eyes. "He… He gave me something…"

"What did he do?" Melinda asked worried.

"Dark Knowledge… He said he wanted me to be able to help you…"

"He… He did…? Why?"

"He knows how close we are… He would want us to be a team when you become head archivist and if we… marry…."

Her eyes widened before they softened, keeping him close to her. "And you said yes… B-Because you love me?"

"And I want to be able to help you… Mel… I love you more than anything else on Earth and in this world. I want to be able spend every moment possible I can with you."

Melinda nuzzled him, a smile coming to her face. "I love you too, Percival."

Percival smiled, keeping her close to him.

"I have a lot to learn… but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help you in your work." He pressed his forehead to hers. "To help others survive."

Melinda gazed into his eyes, stroking one of his cheeks with her hand.

"I know you can… Just… know that now this has happened there's no turning back. You have a work to do here now just as I do."

Percival brought his hands to her cheeks.

"I'm okay with that… I'm completely okay with that."

Melinda smiled, leaning in closer, the distance closing between them.

Nothing else to be said.

END

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Heh, no! You... it can't be!

That's how I felt!

Aw man, so many things went through my head with this final chapter. The way Percival was writing things down reminded me of myself when I was looking up information about the game when I couldn't play it.

So... Melinda was born in the shadow world or did you explain it already?

• Like 1

Just now, minespatch said:

So... Melinda was born in the shadow world or did you explain it already?

It was mentioned multiple times in the story that she is a native like Sebastian to the Shadow World. Both are Shadow Beings and during this particular time were loyal to Maxwell. So yes, she was born there.

• Like 1