Survive the Shadows - Book of Shadows - Story (Complete)

Scientific Symphony.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Scientific Symphony Part 1

The Scientific Symphony Part 1

The rest of the world was gone. Nothing else was there save Edward and the piano before him. All that mattered, was creating the flow of music. Keeping it steady and not breaking his concentration. His eyes were trained on the sheet music, his hands flying across the keys with no sign of stopping. He had to keep going till he reached the end.

Afterall, couldn't let people be disappointed. They were here to see him at his best and that's what he would give them.

He struck the final note, bowing his head, hearing the roar of applause shatter the illusion of the world being gone. He smiled as he stood up, facing the crowd before taking a sweeping bow.

"Thank you, you're too kind!" He said, standing tall, looking out to the audience.

Edward couldn't make out many faces but he at least was able to make out the ones were that were important to him. He smiled as he glanced to a balcony seating, seeing his parents cheering for him, proud looks present on their faces.

I'm glad they could come. This was really important to me.

"And that was Edward Higgsbury ladies and gents!" said an announcer as he walked on stage, giving Edward a shake of his hand. "I must say you've been quite the talk of the town Mr. Higgsbury. We were glad we could have you here at our humble little performance hall."

"Oh, the pleasure's all mine Mr. Garner. I'm pleased you and Mr. Vera would have me perform."

"The honors all ours. Please, don't hesitate to come back. We'd love to have you again."

"Of course."

"Well, that's all for tonight folks! We'll have more performances tomorrow. For now, enjoy the evening and the fine food our performance hall has to offer!"

Edward took one last bow before heading off the stage. He didn't bother with going backstage. He made his way out to the main hall where others were gathered, waiting close to the entrance of the performing area.

Now to just wait for Mother and Father to get out of there.

He soon saw his parents approach him, pride in their eyes.

"Oh, Edward!" Melinda, exclaimed bringing her son into her arms. "You were wonderful out there!"

Edward smiled, hugging his mother tightly.

"Thank you, Mother. I never thought I'd be performing at Vince de Vera and Jason Garner's Music Hall. It's... surreal almost."

"Don't sell yourself so short, Edward." Percival, chuckled, joining in on the embrace. "You've worked hard to prove yourself and here you are. We're so proud of you, Son."

Edward sighed happily, keeping close to his parents. "It means a lot to hear that. I'm so glad you two could make it."

"We're glad we could too, Dear."

"Robert for once didn't blow up the lab."

Edward laughed. "Well, thank goodness for that!"

"Indeed." Percival chuckled. "Finally keeping himself busy."

"Glad to hear it. Mother and yourself keeping busy?"

"But of course." Melinda giggled. "Still running the library with Sebastian after all, and well, Percival still has his students to keep in line. Oh, that reminds me, Sebastian said to say hello and sorry he couldn't make it. Something came up and well, he was bummed he had to miss your concert. He'll be happy to see you play in the cafe near the library though."

"Of course. I would hate to disappoint my godfather after all." Edward scrunched his nose up a bit. "Though please make him promise to stop pointing out ladies to me."

"Dear, if I knew how to do that, I would have done that a long time ago."

"True, very true. Well, hate to be so short, but we better get back home. Sebastian is the only one manning the library and well… remember what happened last time?"

"Not quite, but you said you could've sworn you saw shadows doing random dances on tables."

"Exactly. Can't let him become bored after all."

Edward nodded. "Be safe you two. I love you."

Melinda kissed his cheek.

"We love you too. Be safe as well."

"Of course."

The two gave a wave before they departed, leaving Edward to the crowd coming towards him.

Edward was a bit surprised by the size of the crowd. He wasn't unfamiliar with speaking to people after performances. He did it plenty of times at the parlors and cafes he performed at. This one was just notably bigger.

And full of more upper class people.

"Hard to believe you're from such a humble home." one person said to him as they shook hands with him. "However do you and your family manage?"

"Lots and lots of planning and just focusing on important things in regards to finances." Edward gave a sheepish look. "It's not a pampered life but I'm rather comfortable. I should note, I am living on my own, just my parents aren't too far away if I need them."

Though how does class status have to do with my talents…?

"It's just a surprise considering the way you carry yourself and how far you've come it seems, while others who've come from more well off homes are still struggling."

"Trust me, I'm surprised I'm here. I've mainly played for parlors and cafes."

"Oh please tell me you'll come to some of the upper class ones." a few young women pleaded. "We would love to hear your music again!"

Edward rubbed the back of his neck.

"I-I'll see if I have time. I'd rather not leave my regular places. They pay me well and I don't want to let them down."

One of them sighed dramatically, batting her eyelashes at him. "You wouldn't want to disappoint a young lady, would you? Such a handsome and talented man like yourself."

Edward found heat rushing to his cheeks.

"U-Uh well I wouldn't want to upset a lady now. Not very gentlemanly…"

"Then would you please?"

"I'll… see if I can make time…"

"Honestly though, do you really want to stick with parlors? It won't get you very far. Plus, you're spending time with riff raff." another commented.

Edward scowled a little.

"They're not riff raff. They're people and they find joy in listening to me play so I think it's well worth my time and it has gotten me this far."

"They're low class-" Another started.

"Sorry, but I'll have to end the conversation. I need air." Edward made his way through the crowd, heading to one of the outside table areas, sighing in relief as he felt a breeze pass through him. "Oi… Too much attention…"

I know for a fact the people I play for have more class than these people. No one gets away with saying that about the people who've known me for years.

Edward sighed, running a hand through his hair.

Then again… this all new territory… And Dad always did say he was never fond of the upper class people. Neither was Mother. There are good ones but… I'm guessing these were the ones they weren't fond of.

"Excuse me, Mr. Higgsbury?"

Edward looked behind him to see a couple. A rather well dressed couple at that.

"Em… I'm not really taking questions right now."

"We're not here for the kind of questions we noticed you were getting earlier." The woman said quickly. "We're here on another matter entirely."

"Oh?" Edward stood up straight, facing them. "And that would be…?"

"Well… This is a bit of a strange question but are you seeing anyone presently?"

"Huh? Em… No… Not really. While women are drawn to me I haven't exactly courted any… Or least… I've tried but it just didn't work out… They… weren't pleasant. Why do you ask?"

"We were wondering if you'd be at all interested in meeting one of our daughters. My name is Laurel Barlow and this is my husband, Roland."

"I see… Well… Maybe…"

"You don't have to but perhaps she might be of interest to you.."

"Well… I'd rather not be informal with my meeting. Maybe bring her to one of my concerts perhaps?"

"No, she never wants to come to them. She's… an unusual young woman."

"Oh… Well… I guess that is a problematic."

"You could come to our estate. It's near the edge of town. Quite hard to miss it. She's unusual but polite."

Edward raised an eyebrow. "Could I at least get her name?"

"Cecelia. Cecelia Barlow."

"I see… I'll think about it then." Though would she even be interested in a musician if she never even wants to come see one…?

"Thank you for your time. Just drop by sometime this week or whenever. Just tell our door man we sent for you."

Edward nodded.

"I'll keep it in mind."

"Have a good night."

They soon left, as Edward shook his head, looking up at the sky.

"Well that was certainly odd…"

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 1

Scientific Symphony.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Scientific Symphony Part 2

The Scientific Symphony Part 2

I admit, I can't stop thinking about that last performance… Edward thought as he walked up to his mother's library, an instrument case in hand.

He wasn't the best when it came to courtship and he had been burned a few times.

But… he couldn't help but wonder if it would be different if he met a girl at her house instead of after a performance.

I'll ask Mother her thoughts…

Or Sebastian.

I did bring the "noise maker". He chuckled, glancing down at the case that contained his trumpet. While he loved his piano more than any other instrument, he did have others he enjoyed and others that were more convenient to carry around.

He entered the building, unsurprised to see his mother working to restock the children's section shelves. He waved to her as she gave one in return before walking off.

The library was thankfully empty at this time so he didn't feel bad about breaking one of Melinda's biggest rules.

Considering Sebastian gave me my first trumpet when I was four...

However, before he could even blow into the trumpet he heard a voice whisper in his ear.

"I'm gonna unstring your violin."

"GYAAAH!"

Edward looked behind him, seeing Sebastian wearing a big grin on his face.

"Nah, I joke. I would never unstring your precious violin."

"Good, because then I'd be DEEPLY wounded… And you know, it might slip to Mum and then Mum might let it slip to Father…" Edward smirked.

"And possibly slip to Uncle Waggy. Yeah I'd rather not have a librarian and two mad scientists on my rear."

Edward chuckled. "Though, I actually didn't come here to visit with Mother… I came here for you actually… I…" He gave a sheepish look. "... Need help."

"Oh? Who do I need to help make disappear?" Sebastian raised an eyebrow. "Or is it nothing homicidal related?"

"No, no, Uncle! It's about um… Lady trouble… At my last show, a couple approached me asking if I'd come to their estate to meet their daughter… Does the Barlow last name ring any bells? Late fees? … Trouble?"

"Oh! I know that name!" Sebastian both sneered and laughed. "I'm friends with one of their sons!"

Edward sighed in relief. "Phew… That's good to hear. So, do any names crop up then regarding any of his sisters?"

"From what Emmett, that's their son, told me, all of them at stuck up witches who don't give a care about anything except their husbands and money… all but one. Their youngest daughter, and Emmett's favorite sister. Cecelia Victoria Barlow."

Edward's eyes widened a little. "Her middle name is Victoria…? Huh… Sounds like mine… Victor... What does he say about this… Cecelia woman? Her parents claimed she disliked music and concerts…"

"Oh they're bloody liars for saying that. I've met the girl. She loves music. For heaven's sake, she and Emmett sing songs together. She plays the violin!"

Edward had a bit of an excited look come to his eyes.

"She does? And she's a nice girl on top of that? She… wouldn't think I'm strange?"

"Edward, my boy." Sebastian brought an arm around his shoulders. "I don't know much about her, but she's rather unique for a woman of her class. She's not snobbish, she doesn't mind getting dirty, she loves music and hates the idea of treating others beneath her. I think she'd be open to strangeness."

Edward took all of this in, mentally trying to paint a picture in his mind of what she might look like… Curiosity starting to win over. "So… Then she's worth meeting? Oh goodness I should just meet her shouldn't I? She…. She sounds… Lovely."

"I think she'd be worth your time. If you do go, I'll go with you. I'd like an excuse to say hi to Emmett."

"And those snobbish people do like it when a young man shows up having chaperones to make sure their daughters stay pure."

"Then it's a deal."

"What are you two planning?"

Both perked up as they saw Melinda approach, a curious look on her face.

"Oh, well Eddy here is visiting some people who really want him to meet their daughter. I said I could be his chaperone for the thing since I know one of their sons."

"Whom if I might ask?" Melinda asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well… Eh… I know you don't like hearing their name, but it's that high class snob Barlow family. The one Emmett is related to."

"... Wasn't the last time he was here he was complaining that his parents were looking for an ARRANGED MARRIAGE for their youngest!?"

Edward cringed. Oh dear. Mother's never liked the idea of that… I… I never even thought about it like that.

"... Oh… That might explain a few things…" Sebastian looked to Edward. "No wonder they approached you about meeting their daughter."

Edward fiddled with his instrument case. "... I still want to meet her. If she doesn't like me she can reject me. I've tried courting several different girls. They all couldn't stand me. Maybe… it's just time to try something else… And Mother, Uncle, I'm already so curious about this girl. I want to at least put a face to her name."

Melinda's gaze softened before she sighed. "You are an adult, my son. I can't make those choices for you. I'll support whatever you want to do and have an open mind. But be careful, okay?"

"Y-Yes Mum."

Melinda kissed his cheek.

"I just want you happy in the end. But for now… Please play some music for me on that trumpet. I'd love to hear some."

Edward grinned before he brought it out, giving a quick bow.

"As you wish." He took a deep breath before starting to play, feeling the world around him start to disappear as the music surrounded him. Though his mind still couldn't stop trying to picture what the mysterious Cecelia Victoria Barlow possibly looked like.

Guess I'll find out on my own time.

oooooo

"And… there."

Edward rolled his eyes a bit as Sebastian adjusted his tie… as they were making their way for The Barlow Manor.

"Sebastian, I think primping time is over. It was over when we left my house."

"Ah, ah, let Uncle Sebby fawn over my favorite nephew." Sebastian looked around before plucking a rose off a nearby bush, attaching it to his suit. "And done, and a way to annoy the parents later when they can't tell what's off in the garden."

"I don't know… The flower might be a touch too much."

"Hrm… Yeah… Plus, it's reminding me of Mel's boss." Sebastian took the rose off of Ed, pinning it on his suit. "I'll wear it instead."

"Red does look good on you." He looked to the door, swallowing hard. Unable to help but feel a touch nervous. "M-Maybe I should walk back real fast to get a few instruments-"

Sebastian grabbed his arm, ringing the doorbell.

"No worries. They got your favorite in there."

A butler opened the door. Sighing as he saw Sebastian.

"Ah, Master Sebastian. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Edward gave Sebastian a curious look, wondering what he had done to get on this man's bad side.

"Oh, come now, Heathcliff I'm not here on matters of a party. I'm just here as a chaperone." Sebastian gestured to Edward. "To Master Edward here."

Edward gave a small bow.

"I'm here on matters to meet one of the Barlow daughters. Your Lord and Lady sent for me."

Heathcliff looked Edward over before nodding. "Very well. Please, do come inside while I alert the Lord and Lady of the house." He replied, gesturing them inside.

Edward looked around, taking note of how everything looked. It a was a spacious foyer area. The walls being various shades of brown and green, a white marble floor reflecting the colors. It was a lot to take in… before his eyes fell on a large grand piano, ignoring everything else in the foyer.

Hold in the urge to run over there…

"Wait here." Heathcliff said as he hurried off, leaving the two men alone.

Sebastian looked around, tapping his foot a bit at how long the man was taking.

"... Go on. I know you want to play that thing." Sebastian said, noting Edward's eyes were drawn to the piano. "I'm sure they won't mind."

Edward nodded before hurrying over, playing a few of the keys to see how well tuned it was before sitting down as he started to play.

It wasn't long before he was being watched as a set of curious eyes peered out from the stairwell.

More like two.

One set of eyes being above the other set.

"He's new." One of them commented. "I don't recall Mum or Father hiring anyone to play music. Do you Cecelia?"

"I don't recall it either, Emmett. Usually they want everything as quiet as possible during these meetings…" Cecelia commented. "He doesn't look like the usual kind they'd hire either. He's actually young."

"Probably just a little older than you-" Emmett stopped short as they took note of Sebastian standing near the piano. "Bli' me… Is that Sebastian?"

Cecelia took a double take. "I believe so… What on Earth is he doing here? You two didn't make plans. Since you PROMISED me you'd be here since work kept you away last time."

"Hm… I… I'm honestly not sure… Unless… He's here with that young man."

Cecelia narrowed her eyes. "Sebastian better not be trying to marry me."

"Oh, Cecelia, Sebastian is way too old for you."

Sebastian looked to where they were, raising an eyebrow. He didn't speak, but did move his mouth for them to read.

"You can either stay up there or get a better look."

Emmett looked to his sister before nudging her a little. "Go on. Go say hello. I'll be down in a minute."

Cecelia gulped before making her way downstairs, curtseying a little to Sebastian. She couldn't help but look to Edward, listening to the way he played. Seeing how calm and confident he looked, lost in the music.

He looks so… happy…

Emmett soon joined them, handing Cecelia something as she looked at him surprised, taking her violin into her hands. She shook her head quickly mouthing "No!"

Sebastian nudged her a little, whispering in her ear.

"If you know what's good for you, start playing."

She shuddered a bit before elbowing him in the side. "Don't do that. You know I hate that ear thing." She whispered back before composing herself. She listened to Edward's music for a moment more before starting to play along. Closing her eyes, focusing on keeping up with the pacing of the music. Charming the notes out of her violin.

Edward was in utter bliss with his music, not taking note of the new instrument till he was coming to the close of the song. He didn't finish properly as he looked to the source, jumping a bit, accidentally slamming the keys.

"Ah!" He gasped, an embarrassed look coming to his face. "U-Um… I… I-I didn't see you there… U-U-Um…"

Cecelia gave a small pout. "Aww… I was hoping you would finish. It sounded so lovely and I could follow along…"

"O-Oh… Well… I'm glad you liked it." Edward's face turned bright red. "E-Em…"

"Oh dear, you got the poor man tongue tied." Sebastian leaned against the piano. "Then again, we're in the presence of a very lovely young lady here."

"Sebastian!" Edward gave him a look. "Now is really not the time to-"

"Actually, you should know, this is Cecelia Barlow."

Edward stopped short, looking to Cecelia.

"Oh… Oh goodness…" He gulped, getting up quickly, giving a bow. "Do forgive me, Ms. Barlow."

She giggled a bit before giving a curtsey of her own. "Please, don't be sorry. I loved listening to you play. It was like nothing I had ever heard before… And you didn't mind me joining in. That really never happens. Might I ask your name, however? Properly at least?"

"E-Edward Higgsbury."

Cecelia smiled a little. "It's… It's nice to meet you."

Emmett nudged Sebastian, gesturing to the room nearby. "Why don't we give these two a moment to get acquainted? Not like she's going to elope with him."

"Emmett!" Cecelia whirled around. "Don't even suggest such a thing! I-I would never!"

"And there's her being loud again."

"I think it's best we stay. I'd rather not get on the Lord and Lady's bad side after the last party I was here to help crash."

Edward shook his head.

"Pardon!?"

"Ah… That was fun." Sebastian squished his cheeks a little. "Emmett even did a dance on the table."

"Eh!?"

"I like to get a little spirited every now and then." Emmett smirked. "Not literally but enough to convince my parents that I must need a rest and my DEAR friend always is there to pull me out of the room before I completely embarrass them."

"Though usually too late for that! Hah!"

"And then we run off with Cecelia and have ice cream. Now that's a party."

Edward couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"You… intentionally… crash parties, Sebastian?"

"I do it for Emmett and I especially do it for Cecelia."

Cecelia turned a little red. "The last time was also to scare off a would've been suitor as well. He was getting a little handsy with me on the dance floor and I didn't like it one bit."

"And what kind of big brother would I be if I let some creep manhandle my sister?"

"I see…" Edward noted. "Well… it sounds like something Uncle Sebastian would do."

"... You two are related?" Emmett asked.

"Oh no no no." Edward shook his head. "Friend of the family. My god father. One of them anyway."

"I just made sure to corrupt him as much as I could even though he's honestly a good man - gave him loud instruments, fed him endless amounts of sugar, but he's still innocent." Sebastian gave a dramatic sigh. "I was hoping for a fang or two by now."

"Sorry, but seems they never grew in." Edward smiled. "Least I know how to have fun."

"Quite."

"Oh! Mr. Higgsbury! Seems you've arrived and already met our daughter!"

All turned to see Roland and Laurel approach them with Heathcliff behind them.

"And you've brought a chaperone…"

Sebastian waved.

"Don't worry, not here to cause a ruckus. Just don't bring out any wine or what not. Then you'll have a problem. But no, just making sure Edward behaves himself."

"Guess you can do some good." Roland gave a light chuckle. "Cecelia, I'm assuming this young man has already introduced himself to you."

"Yes, Father. He certainly made quite the first impression." She replied, looking back at Edward with a grin coming to her face. "I wish you had let me know he was so talented."

"Well, we wanted you to judge for yourself when you met him. We just didn't expect a mini concert from the man."

"Can't be helped." Edward gave a sheepish look. "As a performer, it's just something I love doing whenever I can."

"He's a well known pianist, Cecelia. Recently performed at Vince de Vera and Jason Garner's Music Hall."

"Oh… It was that concert?" A bit of a saddened look came to her eyes. "I see…"

Edward took note of the look on her face, frowning a bit.

Sounds like someone wanted to go but didn't get to…

"Well, we just didn't expect such talent from someone of his class. But, since he did so well we thought you'd like to meet him."

Emmett crossed his arms.

"I know this talk. This the new suitor?"

"Emmett!"

Edward looked away, clenching one of his arms tightly.

Sebastian cleared his throat. "Only if he wants to. He hasn't agreed to anything yet and I doubt your dear daughter would just accept anyone."

Cecelia looked to Edward, fiddling with her violin's strings, a nervous look coming to her eyes.

Oh please don't be a fake too…

"Thank you, Sebastian." Roland cleared his throat as well. "Edward Higgsbury shall decide if he wishes to wed our daughter. If not, nothing is lost except time."

"Exactly, which we shouldn't waste right now." Sebastian started moving to the couple to another room. "And speaking of time, how about you two, Emmett and I have a lovely chat over tea?"

"Wait! We can't leave-"

"If you want things to work, let them talk it out alone!"

Emmett joined in on helping Sebastian.

"He's quite right! Come on! And I think one of my sisters spilled tea in the west drawing room!"

Roland and Laurel kept protesting but to no avail, not even with the help of Heathcliff could to stop the two from getting them away from Edward and Cecelia.

Soon, it was just the two.

"... I apologize for this… I'm assuming a lot of suitors have passed through these halls and have given you trouble…" Edward lowered his head. "Just know I don't mean you harm, I promise."

Cecelia moved over to the piano bench, sitting down, hugging her violin to her chest. She had her gaze lowered.

"I'm sorry you had to see me be humiliated like that. Treated like a little girl who can't do anything for herself…" Her voice cracked a little. "I don't blame you if you just want to run out the door right now and never look back."

Edward looked to her in shock.

"Pardon me, Ms. Barlow, but I see no reason for me to run away from here."

She looked up, a curious look in her eyes.

"You mean that…?"

"I do." Edward sat beside her. "I heard a little bit about you from Sebastian. You are… Odd, for your class… But yet… It's a good kind. You don't look at others as inferior… and… you play beautifully, might I add."

Cecelia smiled a little, her face turning a bit red. "Heh… Thank means a lot to hear. I like being different. I'd rather be as different as I can then just be some doll to dress up."

"My mother would understand that completely. Though I don't think you really need to be dressed up too fancy, you're already beautiful-" Edward clamped a hand over his mouth, his cheeks turning bright red.

Her face went bright red a touched look coming to her eyes.

"You… Think I'm beautiful?" She asked softly, unable to help the shy smile that came to her face.

Edward nodded slowly, bringing his hand away from his mouth.

"You have lovely eyes. That was the first thing I noticed before I saw that hair of yours. Didn't expect to see it let down and curled."

Cecelia giggled a bit. "I quite like your eyes too and I like your smile. That's the first thing I noticed… and your music."

"T-Thanks… I take a lot of pride in it. Music… This may sound weird. Music takes me away from everything. The world just disappears and I'm free. On my own, flying with the music. Not a care in the world."

Cecelia smiled. "No… I can agree. I feel the same way. Like I'm part of something just a little bigger than me. Even if I'm just playing alone in my room… D-Do you play only piano?"

"I actually play a lot of instruments, piano just happens to be my first favorite. Second and third go to violin and trumpet."

She looked at her violin before holding it out to him. "Could… you show me how you play violin?"

Edward blushed a bit.

"Y-You sure you want me to use yours?"

"I'm sure. I wouldn't let just anyone touch it you know. You have to impress me to even touch it and you did."

Edward smiled a bit before taking.

"Alright then…"

Edward got into position, starting to play the song he was playing before, practically mirroring what Cecelia had been doing with him.

Cecelia watched him, a smile on her face, seeing the look of joy in his eyes.

Heh… He really does love all kinds…

Edward continued on before finishing, giving a bow.

Cecelia clapped. "Oh that was wonderful Mr. Higgsbury. Just wonderful."

"Thank you, Ms. Barlow." Edward smiled.

She smiled standing up. "Say… Would you… like to take a little stroll out in the garden? Since Sebastian and Emmett are keeping my parents busy?"

"Fresh air sounds rather nice right now."

"Come on then." She took her violin back, setting it on the piano before taking his hand, nearly yanking the man along as she ran for the garden, giggling a bit.

Edward couldn't help but laugh a bit himself as he picked up his pace, falling into step with her as they went along.

Soon, they entered the garden area. It, was enormous. The place had rose bushes practically everywhere of varying colors, from deep red to the palest purple. There were other flowers too along with hedges that seemed to make up mazes. At the center of it all was a marble fountain with a sculpture of a mermaid being held in the arms of a man.

"Well… What do you think?" Cecelia asked, coming to a stop at the statue, turning around to face Edward, a large grin on her face. "My favorite part of this stuffy house if you ask me."

"It's beautiful." Edward said, awe struck, looking around. "I could see why you like it. With all the flowers the air seems really fresh here. That fountain too. So well designed and sculpted. Was this all commissioned?"

"Well, while I might not get along with some of them, two of my brothers actually helped put this together. One's a sculptor and well… the other one who I do like, Emmett, does dabble in flowers. The roses were his work. He was experimenting to see how many colors he could get on one bush."

"They're gorgeous. He has quite the talent with them. I've never seen a garden this lovely before."

"Yeah. I'm biased but the flowers are my favorite part, though the fountain isn't a bad touch."

"I agree."

Cecelia giggled before starting to walk again.

"Come on."

Edward smiled, following after her, keeping in step with her. "So, what does the mysterious Cecelia Barlow do to spend her days wandering these gardens? Find anything interesting?"

"Sometimes I still hope to find my fairy godmother to whisk me away from all of this."

"Is that so?"

"Oh yes… But while I wait, I do other things. I do enjoy playing my violin, I sew from time to time and well… sometimes get into shenanigans with my brother, Emmett."

"Define shenanigans."

"Play tricks on each other, run off during important dinners with the family and friends of my parents. I help him with his 'drunk antics'.Truth be told, he's never actually drunk - he's just very good at faking it since he got drunk once a few years ago. He's a total lightweight and it was a disaster so… we just pretend he's drunk out of his mind now."

"Huh… and how long have you known Sebastian? I ask since he apparently helps in those matters."

"Let me think… My brother has known him longer than I have. I think they met during Emmett's first year of college? He was studying at that large library if I recall right and they hit it off. So, I've known him for about two to three years now."

"I see. Makes sense. I know a lot of students come to my mother's library all the time so I'm not surprised that's how they met."

She nodded. "He's quite the interesting man. Him and my brother get along splendidly, though, he never told me he had a godson. I admit, I was a bit surprised since… Well, he looks so young."

"It's a gift. People in his family just tend to look younger. He's a good man, that I can promise. Helped teach me plenty."

"Did he teach you music, then?"

"Sort of. He helped me explore my talent by getting me instruments and did help me learn basics, but after that… I mostly taught myself. I spent hours practicing and well, when I was old enough, I did start take proper lessons to refine my skills and before I knew it, I was performing in front of crowds for recitals."

Cecelia smiled, keeping a little closer than before to him as she listened. "That's amazing Mr. Higgsbury, that's quite the talent… And to think, here you are now. You're a prodigy!"

Edward blushed a bit.

"That's what everyone usually says. I'm just happy I get to do what I love and make a living out of it. Even if I didn't make much I'd do it anyway. I want people to hear my music and take something away from it."

"And I certainly think you're doing that from what I've heard at least. You're so passionate. I can tell from watching you that the music just guides you and you guide it." She grinned. "You should be proud of yourself."

"I am, just try not to brag about it. Rather not be a snob…"

"I don't think you're a snob… Though… Surprised you got my parents' attention given you aren't one. They just adore people who are just like them."

"I seem to draw everyone's attention…" Edward glanced to the side. "Including women who… um… How do I put it? Know no boundaries?"

Her eyes widened a bit, covering her mouth. "Oh good heavens!"

Edward rubbed the back of his neck.

"I play for high class but… honestly I don't think I'd ever want to be high class. I just… don't fit."

Cecelia nodded ,looking around her. "Honestly… I don't fit it either. I don't like this kind of life. I hate feeling like I have to be perfect or be mean in order to get by in life. That's not how I want to be…"

Edward looked to her.

"Sebastian was right. You are rather odd for your class."

She grinned. "I pride myself on being different. I was always causing mayhem for the nannies, bothering Mother and Father when they were busy. Anything to get their attention… And you're pretty different yourself. You're so talented but modest. You're actually interested in what others have to say."

"I blame my parents for that and my wonderful uncles. Mother is a librarian, Uncle Sebastian being her assistant, practically a butler, Father is a professor and my Uncle Robert is an inventor. I'm sort of the odd man out being a musician but they still show interest in what I love and I take interest in what they do too. While I might not want to be a librarian or go into any form of science, I do know what those things mean to them, and they know how much my music means to me. So… I want others to feel that respect too by knowing they don't have to be into music like I am to grab my attention."

Cecelia smiled softly. "You do that wonderfully. You really do your best. I… I'd love to see you again after today. If you'd let me."

"If you're alright with that, Ms. Barlow. I want you to have a say in this, not just me."

"Then… let's start with something different from all the other suitors hm?" She moved to be in front of him before holding her hand out. "Call me Cecelia."

Edward was a bit startled before nodding, taking her hand in his.

"Very well, Cecelia… and you may just refer to me as Edward."

Cecelia smiled shaking his hand.

"Pleasure to meet you then, Edward."

oooooo

"So you and Father fell in love after that?"

Cecelia smiled softly as she stroked her five year old son's hair, tucking him into bed more.

"That's right. After getting to know each other better of course. Then came marriage, and then came you, our little Wilson." She kissed him on the head, the boy giggling a bit, kissing her chin.

"I'm not that little."

"I know, you're a big boy."

"A very big boy."

Both looked up, seeing Edward leaning against the doorway that lead into Wilson's room.

"Father!" Wilson sprang out of bed, hugging his leg. "You're home!"

Edward smiled, scooping the boy into his arms, hugging him close.

"Sorry I didn't make it home in time for bed time stories, but I at least wanted to say good night."

"Aww… But Father." Wilson pouted. "I'm still not sleepy yet. All Mama told me was how you and her met. Not that it was boring but I want more than lovey dovey stories."

Cecelia shook her head.

"You just didn't want to hear about any of the kissing."

Wilson stuck his tongue out.

"Kissing is gross!"

Edward smirked ruffling up his son's hair. "So does that mean you don't ever want goodnight kisses from your mother again?"

"W-Well I didn't say THAT!" Wilson folded his arms. "That's different! I just don't wanna see… regular kissing. What people do when they're in love." He stuck his tongue out again. "Girls have germs on them. Save Mama… and Grandmama. They're clean."

Edward and Cecelia laughed as Edward hugged his son a little tighter.

"That's my little gentleman. Though… You never know. One day you might find a lovely girl you'll want to spend the rest of your life with."

"If it means getting the plague no thank you." Wilson stuck his nose into the air. "I don't want germs!"

Cecelia smiled softly, bringing her arms around her husband and son.

"And we don't want you getting sick. Now, so you don't want to hear about romance. What do you want to hear about as a means of going to sleep?"

"Indeed. What does Little Wil want to hear?" Edward chuckled.

Wilson's eyes lit up before giving his parents his best puppy eyed look. "The Scientific Symphony?" He asked, lip quivering a little.

"Hm… Which version though? I certainly can't bring the piano up here, so that leaves just the violin."

"Violin, Father. I love it when you play violin." Wilson giggled a little. "Pleeeeeaaase?"

"Oh dear, he really does want it, my dear husband."

"Get him tucked in and I'll go get the violin." Edward handed Cecelia Wilson before hurrying out of the room.

Wilson let out a small yawn as Cecelia tucked him back into bed. He nuzzled into his pillow sighing happily.

"Love you, Mama…"

"And I love you, Little Wil."

Edward appeared in the room again, violin in hand. He sat on the end of Wilson's bed, checking the strings before starting his song. Wilson closed his eyes, following the flow of the music. It had such a whimsical feel to it. It built for a minute then it would dip again. It was like the music they played at fairs but with more structure and grace to it. The best part though… it was his song. Made just for him by Edward himself.

Wilson smiled as he drifted off to sleep to the last notes of the song. Cecelia smiled, softly kissing her son's head before turning to her husband.

"I swear you have the magic touch or in this case, magic music."

"Helps when something is tailored to someone's tastes, or in this case, have special meaning behind the tune. It's Wilson's song after all and it belongs to no one else but him."

"And he adores it, Ed. He can't sleep without it most nights."

"I know…" Edward frowned. "Sorry I'm gone more than usual. Things have just… been out of hand with performance schedules."

Cecelia shook her head kissing his head. "Don't be sorry, Ed. You've been doing what you can and it is your job. I can't complain when it puts food on the table and in our son's mouth."

Edward kissed her head, bringing her close.

"I just hate being away from you both. That's the worst part."

She brought her arms around him, laying her head on his shoulder. "And we miss you when you're gone. But you do your best for us. That's all we can ask for."

Edward nodded.

"I'm so glad I have you for a wife."

"Oh you… How's your head been? I know you had a pretty bad headache this morning…"

"I'm doing better it was just weird. It came out of nowhere… Then after I got my concert it just… vanished."

She nuzzled him a little. "Well, I'm glad it stopped bothering you. I hate it when you don't feel well."

"I wonder if I should get it checked or something… Maybe have Mother or Father help. I don't know. I just fear getting sick when I have so much I need to do."

"If they keep coming back or get worse then yes." She kissed his head again. "And you know, if you want a shoulder rub or anything like that I will gladly drop everything - except for Wilson."

"I'd like that…" Edward smiled. "Thank you, Cece."

She smiled giving a nod. "Anything for you Ed."

Edward brought her closer, sighing happily. Though found his eyes drawn to something. He could've sworn for a moment… he saw some creature made of shadow moving across the wall… staring right at him.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Aileen-Rose said:

Till it says END it's not the end.

Oh yeah, forgot about that XD

I forgot to comment about lil Wilson ^_^ the usual "gross girl germs" thing. And look at him now ;)

I remember in an earlier ask that his father was unkind to him though. Did something change?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The scene in chapter two reminds me of that piece you made last year, the one with Edward at the piano and Cecelia looking down at him. Sebastian was a interesting addition.

It was pretty much that scene just revised a bit with having it start from Edward's point of view rather than Cece's and of course, having Sebastian present along with Emmett.

• Like 1

Scientific Symphony.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Scientific Symphony Part 3

The Scientific Symphony Part 3

“Jules, Melinda. We have an issue on our hands.”

The two got down on one knee, bowing their heads in respect.

“What is it, My King?” Jules asked.

Maxwell sighed, getting out of his throne, running a hand through his graying hair.

“Cato.”

Melinda swallowed hard. “Not him. I thought he lost interest.”

“I was hoping the same but the shadow creatures have been growing more violent as of late. I keep feeding the beasts with the survivors and whatever nightmare fuel I have but… these lashing out moments are more than just hunger. It’s anger. It’s clear that they’re taking orders from some thing. This isn’t all of them, mind you, but the fact it’s happening is unnatural.”

“It’s most likely ones that were once…” Jules didn't dare end his sentence.

“Probably still bitter.” Maxwell shook his head. “Let’s remember all who received that fate were paying for something they caused.”

Jules cringed.

I would say most did.

Melinda narrowed her eyes.

Not everyone.

“So, what can we do, My King?”

“If he’s going to target anyone it will most likely going to be me or one of you two or family members. I want you to be high alert. Slightest of sign of him, seal him, bathe him in light, I don’t care. Just find a way to get rid of him… Ugh...” Maxwell ran a hand through his hair. “Why I didn’t kill him the first time or anytime after is beyond me.”

“Shadow Creatures are different in that regard, My King.” Jules bowed his head. “And you have so much to do and your sanity… well… Making decisions like this can be clouded.”

“I suppose.” Maxwell growled a bit. “I just want him dead. He’s caused enough problems. I think he’s suffered enough time being a terror beak. It’s time to put him out of his misery.”

“We’ll keep an eye out, Sir and if we encounter him, he will be put down.”

“Thank you.” Maxwell rubbed his temples. “Agh… My head…”

Jules hurried over to him, offering a vial of nightmare fuel.

“My King.”

Maxwell took it, drinking it quickly.

“Thank you… This body is getting old. I swear Cato is making it worse.”

“You’ve been overworking yourself again. Please, rest for the time being. My daughter and I can handle the watch for Cato. We don’t want you having another episode.” Jules cautioned him, concern in his eyes.

Maxwell nodded.

“Thank you, Jules…” Maxwell sat down in throne. “You two are dismissed. I need to spend some time with The Grue.”

“Yes Sir. Come Melinda.”

“Yes Father.”

The two left Maxwell to himself. Soon as they were out of ear short, Melinda couldn’t help but speak up.

“I feel like he brought this on himself, Father. There wouldn’t be so much rioting from the shadow creatures if a good half of them weren’t originally shadow beings. I feel like he’s done a lot more of that punishment over the recent years.”

“We sadly do have traitors among us, Melinda.” Jules sighed. “While not all deserved the fate, they should have thought before trying to challenge Maxwell in magic duels. We shadow beings sadly don’t have immunity like humans do.”

Melinda crossed her arms. “Would you be saying that if he decided Mother would look better as a terror beak?”

Jules gave his daughter a mortified look.

“Why in Shadows would he want to harm Veronica!?”

“I’m making a point, Father. He’s been… too agitated… Trigger happy I think some humans would put it as. Our villages have been growing smaller in size haven’t they? I mean, I know I practically live on Earth now but something seems very wrong here and Maxwell doesn't seem to realize he’s doing it!”

“Mel…”

Melinda shook her head. “I know he’s our king and we’ve served him for a long time… But it doesn’t mean we have to agree with his practices. One of these days he’s going to go too far, Father.”

Jules was silent before he let out a sigh.

“I understand, my dear daughter. But remember… Everyone has their part in this mess. The ones who didn’t deserve the fate, Maxwell was in the wrong. The ones who made him the way he is, they’re in the wrong too. We all have our fault. We just need to find a way to correct them. For now it means eliminating Cato.”

“If the snake is even here to begin with.”

“It’s either here or on Earth. I’ll focus on here, you focus on Earth. We’ll smoke him out eventually.” Jules brought an arm around his daughter. “Once we complete this… Let’s try talking to Maxwell together and see if we can get him to change his mind about some things.”

“Maybe even some changes in regards to the poor souls he keeps bringing here too?”

“That’s a harder one to ask him of, Mel. You know that very well.”

“Hmph. I can hope.”

“Let’s just worry about our current task. Head straight to Earth and I’ll begin my search here.”

Melinda nodded, giving her father a hug before running off.

Just find the snake… and then… ask for change. Simple as that.

Melinda closed her eyes as she brought out a piece of paper, transporting herself back to her library. She sighed as she started looking through some of her books, looking for anything that might help with the hunt.

Shadow Creatures are so fickle… Maybe a trap might work best-

“MEL!!!!”

Melinda’s head shot up, looking around.

“Sebastian?”

“GET OVER THE WEST WING RIGHT NOW! WE GOT A PROBLEM!”

Melinda didn’t waste time as she hurried over to the section, her eyes growing wide in horror as she saw her son on the ground, gripping his head, his wife beside him, trying to help and Sebastian fighting off what appeared to be a fragmented terror beak.

“GET AWAY YOU BLOODY THING!”

“SCREEE!!!!”

Melinda narrowed her eyes, drawing shadow magic to her hands.

“Cato!” She yelled, drawing the terror beak’s attention. “Get away… FROM MY SON!” She shrieked, chanting words before shadows shaped like swords made their way towards Cato. They impaled him, but the monster just sneered, making his way onto a wall, laughing at  them.

“Ssssssorry, ssssservant of Maxwell, but you sssssshould have gotten here ssssooner. No magic of yourssss can end me now.” He looked to Edward. “Ssssooo long as he livesss. I have my waysssss of living. I’ll ssssssee you again. Ssssend my regards to old Maxy.”

The creature vanished out of sight, silence following everything.

Melinda was frozen in place, her eyes locked on Edward. While he wasn’t making any noise, he was gripping his head tightly, trying his hardest not to scream out. Cecelia had tears streaking her face as her failed attempts to help continued.

“E-Ed…?” She choked, breaking the silence. “What… What just…?”

Melinda walked over to them, falling to her knees beside her son.

“Edward… Oh… Oh Go-” She brought her arms around him. “Why did it have to be you!?” She wailed.

Edward looked up at this mother, his eyes trembling.

“Mum… What… What was that thing…?” He cringed, the veins in his head bulging a bit, turning slightly black. “My head…. It hurts… It hurts!”

Melinda’s face was stained with tears seeing the state her son was in. It wasn’t supposed to be like this… It… It wasn’t…

“Sebastian… Get Percival here as fast you can. I’ll handle this.”

Sebastian nodded, hurrying out of the room.

“Mother…?” Cecelia looked at Melinda with a pleading look. “What’s happening to him? Is… Is he going to…?”

“No.” Melinda said defiantly. “Not on my watch.”

She got up, hurrying back her main desk before coming back with a large vial of black liquid.

“Edward, this is going to taste horrible but this will calm down the pain.” Melinda filled a smaller vial with the liquid before sticking it into Edward’s mouth. He drank it down, his face contorting at the taste of the liquid, letting out a cough as soon as it was finished.

“Ack!” He gasped, the veins in his head returning to their normal color. “Augh… That tasted awful…” He groaned.

“Ed…” Cecelia hugged him tightly. “Oh thank goodness you’re alright.”

Edward hugged her close, stroking her hair.

Melinda frowned, looking away.

Alright for now… If what Cato was implying was what I think it was… Oh… Oh Heavens…

“Melinda!”

Sebastian came rushing in, Percival behind him. Percival ran ahead of him, kneeling next to Melinda, looking at Edward.

“Is he alright?”

“For now… Percival… Something… Something awful has happened.” Tears streaked her face again. “I… It was my fault…”

“What…?”

“Mum…” Edward looked at her. “What… was that thing…? Why are you saying it was your fault…?

Melinda remained silent, not wanting to meet her son’s eyes.

Percival brought her into his arms, sighing a bit before looking to Edward.

“Ed… There’s… something we’ve been meaning to tell you for some time now and… Oh, I wish it wasn’t because of circumstances like this.”

“What…?” Edward got a bit of an irritated look. “What have you been meaning to tell me but didn’t? Spit it out!”

Percival cringed before narrowing his eyes.

“Your mother… is from another world different than our own. It’s a world filled with magic. That thing that attacked you was from that world. Bottom line… your mother is a witch, Edward. That thing was drawn here because of her… and because you're related to her… It most likely attacked you because of your heritage.”

Edward went deadly quiet, his eyes wide, his body feeling cold to Cecelia’s touch.

“Ed…?” Cecelia whispered.

Edward gently pushed her off him, standing up, looking at his parents with narrowed eyes, his teeth clenched and hands balled into fists.

“You… mean to tell me…” He hissed. “That Mum… MY MOTHER. Practices black magic… and that all this… these headaches… Whatever that bloody beast was that attacked me, was drawn here because of something SHE did!?”

Melinda ducked her head down a bit, keeping close to Percival.

“Edward, it wasn’t on purpose, she would never-”

“Shut up!” Edward growled. “I don’t want to hear another word out of either of you!” Edward’s eyes had a flame in them. “All I’m getting from this is that this is HER fault because of what she is and what I’m… related to!” Edward turned away from them gripping his head. “Now… Now I have something that wants to kill me!? Some parents you are!”

“Eddy…” Melinda whimpered. “Please… We can fix this, I just need to look into-”

“NO!” Edward whirled around, snarling at them. “You’ve done enough already!”

Melinda gasped, seeing the whites of Edward’s eye turn a slight black for a moment.

“If you know what’s good for you… Stay away from me. Both of you. From me. My son and my wife! I want nothing to do with you any further!”

“Edward you don’t mean that!” Cecelia shrieked.

“If you still want to talk to them fine.” Edward growled. “But I’ll have nothing to do with either of them.” He stormed out of the room. “Good day.”

Cecelia frowned watching him go before turning to Melinda and Percival seeing the pain in their eyes. The guilt. “Please… Don’t take it too much to heart. He  didn’t mean it I’m sure… I… I’ll try to talk to him…” This whole situation is so odd but… they’re still my in laws. And they’re still Ed’s parents.

“Thank you, Cece…” Percival gave a small smile before turning his attention to his wife, the woman hiding her face in his shoulder, sobbing. “Oh Mel… Shhh…”

“It… It’s all my fault… I… I…”

Sebastian made his way over, bringing his arms around Melinda, resting his head against hers.

“Mel… There’s no way you could’ve known that that monster would attack Ed.”

“But I did know. I knew who he would target… I… I was just too late!”

“Mel… Oh dear Mel. It’s not your fault. You didn’t think he’d move that fast and it wasn’t YOUR fault this thing even exists…” Sebastian growled a bit. “You're not the one who turned him into that.”

Melinda gripped harder at Percival shirt. Her sorrowed eyes turning to rage as she stood up.

“Percival… Stay here with Cecelia. Sebastian and I need to talk to someone about some important matters.”

Percival nodded, kissing her head. “Be safe, My Love. Sebastian, bring her home for me.”

“Of course… Shall we?”

Melinda nodded, heading out with Sebastian, leaving Percival alone with Cecelia.

“Cece…” Percival sighed. “I have a lot I need to tell you. I just need you to keep an open mind with what I’m about to tell you.”

Cecelia crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. “I saw my husband be attacked by some sort of creature and just saw him lash out, which he never does unless it’s a member of MY side of the family.”

“Very well.”

oooooo

“MAXWELL!!!!!”

Maxwell’s head lifted up from his reading of the Codex, Jules having his attention drawn as well at the sound of his daughter’s voice.

“That tone…” Jules cringed. “I rarely hear that out of her.”

“I’m all too familiar with it out of anyone who has graced me with their presence and had some kind of vendetta against me.” Maxwell closed the Codex, sitting up straight as Melinda and Sebastian approached. “And she didn’t address me properly either. Oh goodie… I wonder what I did to earn that.”

Melinda walked straight up to him, rage in her eyes. “You… This is all your fault! Cato appeared and attacked my son! He was targeted BECAUSE OF YOU! I knew you’d go too far! I knew it! THAT WAS MY CHILD!!!”

Jules’ eyes were wide with horror.

“He did what!?”

Maxwell kept his calm composure, but his eyelids lowered a bit, giving a stern look.

“Like I ASKED him to do that, Melinda. Why in all shadows would I ever ask for something like THAT to be done? I gain nothing from it.”

She growled as Sebastian pulled her back to keep her from lunging at him.

“You turned him into what he is now. You're the one who gave him the very reason he’s been hunting now. You think your hands are clean in this!?” She shook her head a sob escaping her. “My baby… My baby…”

“Melinda…” Jules frowned, before looking to Maxwell, bowing his head in respect. “Your Highness, please tell me there’s something that can be done to fix whatever damage has been done to my grandson.”

Maxwell heaved a heavy sigh, getting out of his throne, keeping the Codex close.

“It depends on what kind of damage he has caused. If it’s simple insanity than the best thing to do is just focus on medicating him properly and such till he’s back to normal.”

“No… It’s not that.”  Sebastian interjected. “From what Cato said to us before disappearing from sight, he’s most likely linked to Edward now. Least that's what he hinted at with saying as long Edward was alive he would live on as well, not to mention Melinda’s shadow magic did nothing.”

Maxwell whirled around, his eyes wide, the whites blackened.

“He… Did… WHAT!?”

“You heard him…” Melinda crossed her arms trying to keep herself from shaking. “He possessed Edward. He’s not going to just attack him once and leave him alone.”

“So… what are you gonna do about it?” Sebastian asked, raising an eyebrow.

Maxwell’s eyes seemed to shrink a bit, much to everyone’s surprise. He turned away, hiding his expression from all of them.

“You mean to tell me… He’s bonded to a human now? Which in turn… makes him unable to die by normal means of killing shadow creatures?”

Sebastian growled. “No, he turned into a lovely butterfly YES HE POSSESSED HIM AND BONDED HIMSELF TO HIM! He is now immune to light by normal means - just like you!”

Maxwell’s turned around slowly, growling at Sebastian, eyes completely black, his pupils slitted.

“Don’t. Compare me. To. That. TRAITOR!”

Sebastian scoffed.

“What should I compare you to then? Hm? A monster? The Grue?”

There was a resounding hiss heard about them from the darkness of the room.

“Leave her out of this.” Maxwell narrowed his eyes. “Now… before you say anything else, I’m only going to say this once. I have no spells for something like this.”

“So… Edward’s just doomed to be controlled by Cato?” Sebastian walked around Maxwell, his own hands taking on a clawed appearance behind his back. “And the king we swore to serve basically will turn his back on us? Hm… Maybe those rebels all so long ago had a point.”

“Watch you tongue, boy.” Maxwell had marks appear on his face, his ears becoming elongated. “One wrong move and I won’t bother even looking for a cure for that hybrid of a son.”

Melinda swallowed hard. “Sebastian…”

“That’s… Enough.” He moved quickly trying to slash at Maxwell’s face. “YOU'RE A FAILURE OF A KING!”

Maxwell jumped back, hitting Sebastian hard with shadow flames… the man’s form disappearing into them, changing his shape into that of a terror beak.

The now shadow creature fell to the ground, shrieking quietly.

Jules covered his mouth, eyes wide with horror.

“Sebastian…”

Melinda gasped running to his side. “No… Sebastian, no!” She looked him over. “Why…. Why you too…?”

Sebastian looked up weakly, shame in his white eyes.

“Scree… Melinda…”

Maxwell was quiet, looking at his hand that casted the spell, eyes wide.

I did it again… Why did I do it again!?

Melinda growled but didn’t move to try to retaliate. She just brought Sebastian into her arms, stroking his head.

“I’m here… I’m here… I’m so sorry…”

“Scree… Sss… Sorry…”

Maxwell lowered his head, returning to his throne.

“I think enough has been said… Leave.”

Melinda stood up, keeping Sebastian close to her.

“Consider this my resignation then “Your Highness”.” She spat, walking away, disappearing from sight.

Soon as she was gone, Maxwell brought his hands to head, gripping at his hair.

“Jules… What have I done?”

“I…” Jules looked to the ground unsure of what to say.  “I….” He fell silent. I can’t say anything… I can’t risk it with his mood…

“... Year… After year… It just gets worse… and worse… and worse…” Maxwell laughed bitterly. “Oh… He really has me… But I’m not going to let him win. I’ll make him regret ever thinking he could copy me.” Maxwell sat up, a crazed grin on his face. “I’ll seperate him from that human as violently as possible, so it only hurts him and not the human and then I’ll make him pay. I just need to make the spell and then it’ll all be over and I can finally stop having to deal with all this insanity. Yes…” Maxwell looked at the Codex. “That’s what I’ll do…. Ahaha… No one is ever going to make me fall!”

Jules frowned, producing a vial of nightmare fuel, offering it to Maxwell. “Sire… With all due respect - that human has a name. His name is Edward Victor Higgsbury.”

Maxwell took the vial, downing the nightmare fuel, his eyes returning to normal.

“Right… Right…” Maxwell lowered his head. “I’ll need to remember that.”

“I’ll have to tell Sebastian’s family what happened to him…” He sighed. “Such a shame he lost his temper like that. But… It does hurt. Knowing there’s not much to be done..”

“Don’t remind me…” Maxwell dug into his shirt collar, pulling out a medallion, looking at it. “... I’m the king… yet sometimes I feel the world just crumbles all around me and I am nothing.”

Jules frowned, bowing his head in respect.

This is getting bad… He’s completely losing it…

“Jules… I’ll need some time alone. I need to look into some hexes.”

“Yes, My King… I… Need to go anyways. I should be with my family.”

Jules headed off leaving Maxwell alone.

Maxwell picked up the Codex, looking through the pages.

I’m not doing this for them… I’m doing this for me and only me.

Just you wait Cato… You will die by my hands alone!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

Though I do have to wonder about Cato. Was he in the King's reign story or am I just having my memory fool me?

He was, his name just wasn't mentioned directly. He was the one who tried starting a rebellion not long after Aharon died and well was met with the fate of being turned into a terror beak. The guy is still rather bitter about it as seen here.

• Like 1

Scientific Symphony.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: The Scientific Symphony Part 4

The Scientific Symphony Part 4

Wilson peaked his head around the corner of a door frame, a piece of paper behind his back. He looked to see where his father was, seeing him busy at work on a piece of music. He swallowed hard before nodding to himself, making his way over quietly.

Maybe this will get him to smile this time. This time it's gotta work.

"Father?" Wilson tugged on the man's coat. "Can I show you something?"

Edward didn't even look at his son. "Wilson, I don't have time for this-"

"It'll only take a minute I promise!"

Edward gripped at his pen tighter.

"Wilson. Not now."

"You never have time for me anymore!" Wilson shouted. "I just want to show you my latest idea for an invention! You always liked it when I showed you my science stuff and now you just-!"

Edward turned around, his eyes wide with rage.

"I don't want to hear anymore of your scientific fantasies, Wilson! I don't care! Now leave me alone!"

Wilson stumbled back at Edward's tone. He had been scolded before but never outright shouted at. Tears stung his eyes as he shook.

"Father... " He sniffled running out of the room… bumping into Cecelia on his way out.

"Wilson? Wilson what's wrong!?" She called after him. But it was too late as Wilson slammed the door to his bedroom shut. She looked into the music room clenching her fists. "Edward… What… Happened?"

Edward looked away from her, his hands gripping at his head.

"I didn't want him near me… He was annoying me."

Her eyes narrowed as she went to him. "You are being a horrid example right now and you know it. You're throwing away your relationship with him! You're being just as bad as my own father!"

Edward growled, turning to her, the whites of his eyes blackened as he stood up.

"You're being just as annoying… Allow me to relieve you of my presence!"

He went to strike her with his hand. Cecelia eyes were wide before she braced herself, shutting her eyes tightly.

SLAP!

THUD!

Her eyes snapped right back open at the sound of a hand meeting something. But she felt nothing… the only one who felt anything was Edward who was now on the ground, back against his desk, trying to choke himself with his own tie.

"LEAVE HER OUT OF THIS!" He shrieked. "LEAVE THEM BOTH OUT OF THIS!"

"Ed… Ed stop that!" She rushed over, trying to loosen the grip he had. "This isn't going to solve it!"

"Cecelia… Don't get near me, please!" His face contorted a bit. "Oh… by all means. I'd love to get my hands around that throat- NO!"

She growled. "I'm not afraid of you. Now leave my husband alone at once!"

"Cece…. The violin… Play some music... Quickly." Edward begged. "It drives him out!"

She nodded and rushed for it getting into position, starting to play as she watched her husband carefully.

Edward cringed as the music played, holding his head, his expression returning to his normal one… not before one last word got out.

"Don't think I'll be driven away forever. I will be back and this body will be mine and I'll finally have the means to get what I want."

Edward relaxed as the presence faded, tears streaming from his face.

Cecelia dropped to her knees in front of him still playing. Tears welling up in her eyes, fear coming to them.

Why us…? Why him…?

Edward looked at his wife, bringing a hand to her cheek, cupping it gently.

"Cece… I… It's getting worse. I can hold him off for so long. He keeps planting thoughts in my head to do horrible things. He wants Wilson dead. He wants to kill anyone who would be important to me. I don't want to… I don't want to…" He cringed, biting his lip.

Tears ran down her face as she put aside the instrument, hugging her husband tightly.

"You won't hurt our boy. You love him too much to do that to him but please… Please! Ask for help! We don't know how to get him out of you!"

"But Mother-!"

"Bollocks to that! Swallow your pride and just go to her and Father! They're worried sick about you! This has gone on long enough. Months long enough. Please! For Wilson! At least do it for him!"

He sighed looking away. "Cece… What if she doesn't forgive me?"

She took his chin into her hand, tilting his head to look at her.

"As much as I love you, you're giving me no choice. Go talk to her or you're on the couch for a month."

Edward went quiet, looking around the room, his eyes landing on the drawing Wilson had left behind. He frowned, seeing it was a picture of him playing a violin that had a trumpet attached, him and Cecelia clapping at his performance.

"Wilson… Oh my Little Will…"

"Ed… He thinks he did something to make you mad at him. He thinks you never wanted him to be born."

"I would never think any of that! He means to much to me-" Edward lowered his head. "I don't want him thinking that. I don't... I'll go speak to Mother."

She frowned bringing her arms around him, stroking his hair.

"I love you. No matter what… and I'm sorry if I was harsh. But we can't keep living like this. Not me. Not you. Not Wilson."

Edward hugged her close.

"No… I needed that harshness. This.. thing just won't stop. I was being selfish not doing anything. I almost hurt you… and I've hurt Wilson. I need to stop this."

She nodded, touching her head to his.

"We'll fix this. I'm sure there's something we can do."

oooooo

"Melinda?"

Melinda looked up from her book, seeing Percival standing in the doorway of the reading room of their home.

"Yes?"

"There's… someone here to see us." He stepped into the room, Edward and Cecelia following after him. "Edward would like a word with us."

Melinda's eyes grew wide. "O-Of course." She set her book down standing up. "Anything…"

Cecelia nudged him a bit.

Edward cleared his throat, sitting down on the couch opposite from Melinda.

"... Mother… Mum…" He lowered his head, not able to bring himself to look into his mother's eyes. " I… I'm sorry."

Melinda frowned sitting beside him. "It's okay, Ed. You had a right to be mad. We never meant to keep this from you."

Edward looked to her, his eyes brimming with tears.

"I need help… I… I almost did something awful to my family."

She brought an arm around him.

"I'll do whatever I can, Son. I'm so sorry."

Edward hugged her tightly, burying his face into her shoulder.

"I keep hearing voices… and… and that thing comes back and… and I can't control myself. I lose my body and then… Oh… Heavens… I... I nearly slapped Cecelia and I yelled at my son because I didn't want to… I didn't…"

She was horrified as she stroked his back. "Oh, Edward that's horrible…" What do I do…? There's no spell to separate them.

"Melinda."Percival interjected. "Maybe it's just a matter of keeping his sanity high? We have plenty of green caps and nightmare fuel to keep things like shadow creatures at bay. At least until we can find a way to separate them. It's a chance."

"If it's similar to when I play music to keep the thing out it only lasts for so long." Edward shut his eyes tightly. "My way of coping has been using the piano or any instrument as means of drowning the voices out. But in the end as soon as I stop it just starts again. It's an endless cycle."

"That would explain the increase in concerts." Cecelia bit her lip.

"And you can't play forever… Oh, Ed." She kissed his head. "I'm so sorry."

"Mum…" Edward rested his head under hers. "I don't want to hurt my family. I especially don't want to hurt Little Will."

"Edward." Percival sat on his other side, bringing his arms around him. "We don't know a cure but we're willing to look into finding a way to fix this. We just need time to do studies and find where the solution lies. We just don't know how long it will take. Something like this, even for Melinda is complex and beyond her. Even beyond her king."

"Maxwell doesn't care." Melinda hissed. "Not that I can go back to him after the show Sebastian and I put on."

"Sebastian. Where…?"

"I'd rather not say. He's… sick right now, Edward… Just… we'll leave it at that. Right now, I'm worried about you. I promise I'll get you fixed I just… need time."

Edward went quiet, pulling away from his parents.

"Mother… Father… I imagine this will take a lot of time. If that's the case… I don't want to endanger my family any further." He stood up, making his way toward the window. "Until you find a cure… I don't want to be around my family anymore. I want you to commit me." He said not wanting them to see the worry in his eyes… and him not wanting to see the startled look in theirs.

Their eyes grew wide in shock.

"What…? Edward… You know what that would mean right?" Melinda asked, worry coming over her all over again.

"Ed…" Percival frowned.

"I do." He lowered his head. "But I can't risk this… thing, making me do something I'll regret. Where else could I go that I know for fact will keep me locked down and unable to harm others?" He sighed. It's not like I want this.

Melinda lowered her head as well. "He has a point Percival… And if it keeps Cato from hurting him further as well, he wouldn't have a place to go back to." She looked down, feeling a surge of guilt. If only she had the answer… But she didn't. Not yet.

Percival frowned. "If it's what he wants… and it'll buy us time." No parent wants to have to do this though. Our son being in hospital for who knows how long…?

"Edward…" Cecelia went over to him, taking his hands in hers. "Please…" She pleaded worry in her eyes.

"Cece…" Edward squeezed her hands before slipping one out, cupping a cheek in it. "I don't want to hurt you or Wilson anymore. Let me do this. When I get out, when they cure me, I'll come back to you and make up for all that lost time. I'll buy your favorite chocolates, we'll play music together, spend time with Wilson. Till then, please take care of him and help him grow into the man I know he can be."

Tears brimmed in her eyes as she gave a quick nod. "I will. I'll give him enough love for us both… He'll grow up just fine. But you better not give up. And I'll wait for you. No matter what." She kissed his cheek. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going miss you too." Edward brought both hands to her face, bringing her into a kiss, holding it for as long as he could. He pulled back gently. "Cecelia, I love you so much."

She nuzzled him gently. "I love you too Edward. You mean everything to me."

Edward nuzzled back, holding her close. He pulled back gently, looking to his parents.

"Before I go though… I want one more week with Wilson. Just so he has something to remember that's good."

"Of course Ed. But do take precautions. Those things we mentioned before - the greencaps, the nightmare fuel, that could help you keep under some control when you can't be attached to your violin all the time."

Edward nodded.

"I'm going to try anything that might help. Just give me those items… and I'll handle the rest with Wilson. You handle the preparations."

"Consider it done."

oooooo

"Wilson?" Edward knocked on the door of his son's room. "Wilson? Can I come in?"

"Y-Yes…" Wilson's shaky voice answered on the other side…. A sniffle following.

Edward opened the door slowly, seeing Wilson was curled up on his bed, head tucked between his knees. He was still sniffling a little every now and then. Edward frowned as he made his way over sitting on the edge of his bed.

"Wilson… I'm sorry."

Wilson didn't look up, keeping his head down.

"Whatever I did… I'll stop doing it. I-I won't be a scientist, I'll be a musician… I-I'll stop talking."

"No. Don't do that."

Wilson looked up sadness in his eyes.

"What can I do… So you'll smile again…?"

Edward sighed, bringing a hand to Wilson's cheek.

"Be you. I want you to follow that dream of yours more than anything else. I want you to be proud of what you do Wilson. I'm sorry if I made you feel like being a scientist is a waste of time. It's not. It never was." Edward showed him the drawing he had left behind. "Was this for me?"

Wilson nodded. "It… It was a present."

Edward gave a gentle smile.

"I'd love to see this as an actual instrument one day, Wilson."

His eyes lit up a small smile coming to his face. "You mean it…?"

"I do." Edward set the drawing down, bringing him into his arms. "And when you make it, I'll play it in front of all my regulars and tell them you made this wonderful invention."

"And you'll play my song?" WIlson asked, cuddling up to his father.

"You know I will." Edward rested his head against his. "Nothing would suit The Scientific Symphony better than an instrument that was designed by the boy who named it."

Wilson buried his face in Edward's shirt, letting out a relieved sigh as he relaxed in his arms.

"Yay!" He giggled a little.

Father's not mad at me… He doesn't hate me.

Edward stroked his hair.

"Wilson. How about this week, we go camping? Just you and me."

"Sounds like a lot of fun. Only on one condition though." Wilson looked up, a bit of a cheeky look on his face. "Marshmallows!"

"I'll throw in some chocolate and we have ourselves a deal, Little Will."

Wilson giggled laying his head on his father's shoulder.

"It's a deal Father. I love you."

"I love you too, Wilson."

The boy sighed happily curling up a little.

Edward kept him close, kissing his head, trying to hide any sadness in his eyes from the boy.

Please… Let this be how you remember me when I'm gone.

• Like 2