Survive the Shadows - Book of Shadows - Story (Complete)

Book of Shadows Cover2.png

Before the fall of the king, there was many others... The stories that went untold until now. Those of the past, that echo through the ages.The Shadow King, the Gentleman Scientist, the Firestarter and many more. Open up and see what's inside.

------

To those wondering, the reason this one is not going under the Survive the Shadow - Story thread is for the sake of consistency. We didn't want to cause confusion so we wanted these set of stories to have their own personal thread. Just so people don't get lost and so things stay organized. So yeah, this is part of the Survive the Shadows canon just so everyone knows. We're going by our interpretations so, just bear that in mind okay? Okay. Good.

Enjoy!

Sequel: Survive the Shadow - Story

FF.net: Book of Shadows FF.net

AO3: Book of Shadows AO3

tumblr: survivetheshadows.tumblr

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 7

That's fine with me. If you want to explore the history of the island, it's good to make a thread about that. Also, you might want to make links of your threads in a particular hub, such as your "stash" or "main storyline" in the first post of those threads so people can be directed to these others. It'll help fans of your work keep touch in you and @Storm137's other stories.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

Fallen King Cover.png

FF net: Book of Shadows: Fallen King Part 1

Fallen King Part 1

The young man growled to himself as he lit the final candle within the room. It didn’t matter anymore it seemed… Barely enough food to survive with, no one would give him work, nor anything if he sat in the streets and begged.

So, I’ll try something else… At any rate… I cannot stand this place anymore… May it suffer for all it did to me.

There were strange symbols on the ground. The young man took a dagger into his hand, closing his green eyes.

“May Ra have mercy on my soul…” He murmured before making the slice, crying out a bit before steadying himself…

The blood dripped onto the symbols as he began to chant… The room darkening as the candles slowly flickered out one by one, smoke rising up around him.

To anyone who listens to my plea… I will give up my very life to see the rotten souls of this place suffer...

“Well, well, well… What have we here…?”

The man gasped, looking up, seeing something that looked like a human… yet didn’t. The person was completely black, save two white spots on their face that represented eyes. It appeared to be… what could only be described as a walking shadow.

He swallowed hard.

“I’m sick of this world… I can’t eat, I can’t work… What else is left to do? I’ll lose my home at this rate… And no one will help me… I’d rather see them all suffer… See them grow as desperate as I …”

“Quite the order… and with the symbols you’ve made you’re different from the others the shadows keep telling me about. You want to be rid of your soul… You don’t want to live anymore… That’s very unusual for a human to ask.”

The man sighed, lowering his gaze.

“What else is there to even live for? I don’t have family or friends. No one to talk to. No work to be done… And the afterlife forbid I try to steal from the king of all people. I’d be executed on the spot. So… What is the point? WHAT was the entire point of even being born!?” He growled, his gaze darkening. “What’s the point in being here… If I’m useless… So useless I can’t do more than this…”

The shadow just stared at him before its eyes narrowed, tipping the man’s chin up so their eyes locked.

“I admit… I do not really care for this world… but I hear so much about it from the shadows and some of my subjects who have dared set foot in this place in the name of exploration. Yet… I wouldn’t mind seeing more for myself… Unfortunately, unlike my subjects who can walk about without being questioned, I can not. For my appearance is as you see. My subjects look human, but I do not… Though… maybe I might have way now that would involve a deal that could please both of our needs.”

“Then tell me… And I will do it… I mean it when I say there is no point to my existence as of now..”

“I can let your soul pass on… in exchange, I want your body. Possessing it would give me the ability to see more of this world, and maybe find something of interest that could help my world.”

The man felt a chill go through him, as he looked the creature in the eye.

To pass on… To die and allow this creature to parade his body around once it was empty..

It sounded strange…

It sounded….

Wonderful…

He smiled faintly.

“We have a deal.”

“Very well, what’s your name?”

“Seth… My name is Seth sir…”

“Well, Seth… My name is Maxwell…” He held out his hand. “Do you accept the terms of our deal? Your soul, for the use of your body.”

Seth took his hand, shaking it firmly, a serious look in his eyes.

“I wholeheartedly accept it.”

“Good.”

Maxwell held his hand tightly as shadow hands came around Seth, Maxwell disappearing into them as the man was consumed. There was no scream… only silence as the process began.

Seth felt himself slip away as a new being took his place.

The shadow hands parted, Seth… Maxwell, slumping to the ground a little, his hands gripping at it. He took a shakey breath before opening his eyes, looking at his hands.

“Interesting…” He whispered, grinning. “So this is what it’s like…” He chuckled, getting up, looking around the room. “Hm… I can see a lot of benefits to this…”

He snapped his fingers, shadow creatures appearing in the room, looking to him curiously.

“Come my friends…” Maxwell gave a sinister look. “I believe we have some exploration to do.”

The creatures gave gleeful shrieks, moving about the room, eager to do as their master told.

“King, King all hail The King!”

Maxwell took a bow before leading them out.

Let’s see what this world has to offer.

oooooo

It had been a long week.

The kingdom was alive with activity… But it was still concerning. The king was still worshipped, but the instances of theft and murders had started to increase…

The Pharaoh sighed as he stepped out onto his balcony over looking the city. The people were walking around, going about their day… While inside, he had criminals to see to.

If I have to see one more I’m going to scream…

“King Aharon?”

He looked over to see one of the members of his court. “Yes Neferet?”

“You seem troubled… Are you sure you will be able to handle this?”

Aharon sighed.

“What choice do I have?”

Neferet frowned.

“We, as part of your court just want you to be at your best, My King. Maybe you should go out for a ride at some point to clear your head.”

“Maybe… I’ll handle this last one then I’ll go out… Just be sure Chione is safe.”

“Of course, My King.” Nefret nodded. “This way.”

Nefret lead him to a room where his court was seated around a man chained to the floor. They all glared at the man, suspicious at what he had been brought in for…. Though unlike the others that had been brought in, this man was calm and collected. He just stared at all of them, his face blank of expression.

Aharon frowned, standing before the man.

“What is your crime? Do you know what you were arrested for?”

The man looked up at Aharon, his expression shifting to one of disgust.

“I was brought in for something I didn’t even do.”

“Liar.” Nefret scoffed. “You were brought in my two men screaming you were casting spells on them, causing them to go insane.”

The man rolled his eyes.

“Oh sure… Blame their issues on someone else. They were the ones causing themselves to go insane, not me.”

“Neferet, please.”

“I apologize, Sire.”

Aharon shook his head, looking back to the man.

“What do you know of such insanity?”

“That people are doing things they really shouldn’t even consider.” The man narrowed his eyes. “They summon beings hoping for power, only for that power to turn on them… That’s their responsibility. They just pinned it on me because I just so happened to be near by some of their foolish summonings… Oh, I hope you know this, Your Highness, but quite a number of people have been attempting dark magic in order to try and overthrow you. Just thought I’d let you know.”

The royal court all gasped, looking to their king in concern. Aharon had a mortified look on his face.

He looked at the man’s eyes, looking for any signs of deceit… But he saw nothing but truth.

“... Guards. Unchain him immediately. I’d like to talk to him in a more comfortable setting. Right now.” He ordered.

The guards hesitated.

“I SAID NOW!”

“Y-Yes sir!”

The man was unshackled in seconds. He sighed in relief, rubbing his wrists.

“Ah… much better.”

Aharon offered him a hand up.

“Please allow me to make this right. Your name?”

He took it.

“They call me Seth.”

Aharon smiled a bit, helping him to his feet. “Then Seth, it’s a pleasure to meet you… And I apologize for this. Usually my court listens to BOTH sides of the story before hauling people in.” A glare was thrown in the others’ directions. “But with recent events… We can’t be too careful… Though, I would love to know more of what you know regarding it..”

“And I’ll happily share… Just… I would prefer it was only the two of us talking. These are rather heavy matters… as well as hard to explain.”

“We’ll go to the gardens… It’s quiet, no one will listen in.” Aharon looked to his court. “You all have duties to attend to, I will handle our guest.”

“But Sire, are you sure?”

“Quite. I can handle myself just fine one on one.”

“... Yes, Sire.”

“Good.” Aharon looked to Seth. “This way.”

Seth followed behind him quietly, looking around the place.

“So this is what the palace looks like.” he commented, noting all the decorations. “How regal.”

Aharon smiled sheepishly. “Thank Chione, my wife, for that. She’s better with keeping things like this in order… Most of these things I wouldn’t have out if it weren’t for her. She thinks the place should show what kind of king I am… Though sometimes I wonder what kind I actually am..”

“Oh?”

“I hate blood. I hate, hate, HATE it…”

“Hm, I see. So that means executions must be rather unpleasant for you.”

Aharon cringed. “Precisely. I don’t dole them out unless absolutely necessary… Most of the time I just banish them to another part of the kingdom. Farms mostly… Or the desert… It’s petty, but I just can’t stand it.”

“Banishment… I see…” Seth hummed in thought, smiling a little. “Heh… That’s an idea…” He whispered.

Aharon looked to him, raising an eyebrow. “What was that?” He asked, taking a seat on a bench near the pond.

Seth sat next to him.

“Oh, just thinking out loud in regards to your punishment methods. In a sense, you make them die slowly depending on the environment you put them in. Of course, not all are deadly, but I’m sure a majority are not livable conditions.”

“No. The worst I usually send straight into the desert. If bandits don’t kill them, the lack of food and water will. It’s quite a ways from the river you see.” Aharon crossed his arms. “The last one I banished I had them tie his wrists first… He had gotten in and tried to murder my wife… Somehow found their way to our sleeping chambers.”

“I see…” Seth narrowed his eyes. “That means that while the shadows have driven them to insanity they still gain some form of power… Hm… How odd…”

Aharon raised an eyebrow. “Do tell more… You seem more familiar with these bouts of madness then I.”

“That I am…” Seth closed his eyes. “These mad men keep trying to summon beings from another world as means of gaining strength or knowledge. Hoping these beings will grant them some wish… But… the thing is, they keep it doing it wrong. They summon the servants of the being they want. They want someone known as the Shadow King to appear before them to make a pact.”

“And you know this King?”

“Yes… He’s known as Maxwell.”

Aharon looked at his eyes again… Seeing a sly look in his eyes. “... And am I speaking to him?”

Seth grinned, showing his canines were rather sharp.

“You’re smarter than most. I see why they made you king.”

Aharon’s eyes widened a bit before he smirked.

“I do what I can. I rather prefer listening to both sides of the story.”

Seth… Maxwell, chuckled, his demeanor softening a bit.

“And I appreciate it… I will be clear about something. While my servants have caused insanity, mind you, they only caused it because those men couldn’t themselves with their need for power. They asked them to come, they do what they do and then feed off their insanity. It’s food for them. If they wanted real power they would have to actually call on me. There’s only one person who has gotten this right and compared to these fools, his offer was rather “humble” for lack of a better term.”

“What did he ask of you, Shadow King?” The king asked, curiosity coming to his eyes.

Maxwell held up his right hand, showing a scar on the palm.

“He wanted freedom from this world. So, I gave him that, in exchange, I could walk amongst humans without being questioned by taking his body.”

Aharon gasped.

“You... possessed him… And he asked for it? He truly wanted that?”

“He also mentioned wanting others to suffer, but in all honesty I had no need for that. I just wanted to see what my subjects had been seeing. See if there was anything I could make use of here. For the shadow creatures, they quite enjoy feeding off the insanity of those criminals. But yes, he asked for me to do that. He didn’t find any reason to keep living, so I relieved him of that.”

Well… If he was just going to kill himself anyway… And since he hasn’t directly caused the problem…

“I see…” Aharon cleared his throat. “Well then… What do we do, regarding keeping these waves of insanity down then? I’d rather not have to throw everyone with dark thoughts in their head to the desert.”

“Well… when you mentioned banishment… I thought about my world. It would be interesting to see these criminals put to the test of survival. Our world is quite different in what dangers lie in it. I… could make them “disappear” from this world the moment they cause a summoning or if one is brought in to your court again proven guilty.”

Aharon was quiet as he pondered this possibility… Having the criminals spirited away… Out of sight, out of mind… No need for executions if he had someone this powerful on his side. He smirked.

“You have yourself a deal… When they’ve been brought in would be preferable but… I will allow you to make a choice based on just WHAT they wanted from the summoning… If they were outright intent to go out after and try killing me, then please. Dispatch them.”

“Very well. I’ll make sure any summoning now brings me to them. I’m sure my shadow creatures will understand.” Maxwell grinned. “Though… funny thing is, you yourself are making a deal with me. This is a very twist. Considering it’s my creatures that have been causing the ruckus. I would think you would want me gone.”

“Oh quite the contrary… I’m rather interested in having those of power on my side… And I have always been interested in the practice of magic.” Aharon grinned. “You have no intent to harm myself, or my wife… Nor do you intend to take my court and kingdom correct?”

“Absolutely no interest. I already have a kingdom. I don’t need one in this world too. There’s not much for me here.”

“Then…” Aharon held out his hand. “I’d like a partnership… To invite you to be part of my court.”

Maxwell looked at the hand before locking eyes with him.

“I hope that’s only in regards to public appearance. For you know, we’re technically equals.”

“Of course. Only to the public… I’d rather a friend than another priest… Though I wouldn’t exactly consider a man known as The Shadow King to be a priest..”

“More so… Magician, Your Highness.” Maxwell took his hand, giving it a shake. “You have yourself a deal.”

“Welcome then Maxwell… And I hope this will be as interesting for you as it will be for me.”

“I’m sure it will.”

Though… don’t count on the friend concept.

Partners, sure.

But friends?

Pheh… I’m not exactly the one anyone wants to be friends with.

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 3

Interesting insight Maxwell's progression through the ages. Curious with the next chapters this thread will have and awaiting more. Seeing lost souls ponder their depression and give it away is highly relatable to me. Especially in the Faustian fable setting.

• Like 1

Fallen King Cover.png

FF net: Book of Shadows: Fallen King Part 2

Fallen King Part 2

“Ow… Ow… OW!” Maxwell hissed. “Gentler PLEASE!”

“Sorry, Your Highness.” a man cringed, trying to finish healing a wound Maxwell had sustained on his arm. “I’m just not trained for this and... you’re not used to this.”

Maxwell sighed, closing his eyes, letting the man finish.

“No… forgive me… You think I would be used to feeling pain by now with this body but it’s probably due to the fact I don’t get hurt that often… I swear that bandit came out of nowhere. Though, there was no way I was letting him hurt Aharon… or his son.”

The man gave a gentle look, applying a bandage.

“For someone you said you weren’t going to be very close with, you sure have developed quite the bond with this human. I mean… you were there for the birth of their son and actually helped.”

“Times change, Rune.” Maxwell chuckled. “Let’s remember, I didn’t have any interest in Earth… yet here I am going back and forth.”

“Indeed… I’m hoping these explorations of yours are proving useful to you. I know you’re not one to waste your time.”

“They are. Earth is quite the interesting world… And the creatures of it, including the humans, are intriguing... And I rather admit… I do enjoy being able to sample their delicacies when I’m amongst them. I don’t feel as if my time is wasted.”

“Good to hear, Your Highness.” Rune put his tools away, sitting next to Maxwell. “I know the shadow creatures have been enjoying the survivors you bring in for them to torment. It feeds them well… Though I hope there’s still a balance. After all, let them get out of control and they will want out into Earth to have all they can eat.”

Maxwell nodded, sighing in relief as he rubbed his arm a little. “I’m quite careful. While I was practicing magic I’ve developed a substitute for insanity. A substance called nightmare fuel… It’s quite useful in satisfying the hunger and very easy to obtain. Evil Flowers can be boiled down in a cauldron into it.”

“Good to know. I'll be sure to add that to the Codex.”

“Good on you.” He smiled a bit. “Thank you very much. I do appreciate the help keeping the peace.”

“It’s my duty to you as your advisor, Your Highness.” Rune bowed his head. “We may be violent, but we don’t want war.”

“Exactly… We just live a different way of life, and I would rather not betray my friend by bringing war to his world.”

“Indeed.” Rune got up, picking up his tools. “Well… I better attend to the archives. Is there anything else you need from me, Your Highness?”

“No, thank you, Rune. I’m quite fine, just need to rest a bit.”

Rune nodded, giving a brief bow before taking his leave, allowing Maxwell to rest.

The shadow king sighed, leaning back, looking at his arm. He never expected to willingly jump in front of a mortal to protect them from harm… But this was different… Far different.

“Rune is right… You are fond of that human…”

Maxwell looked to the darkness, seeing a pair of white eyes staring at him.

“Ah… good to see you. How goes your hunting, my dear Grue?”

“Beautifully.” The creature hissed. “Those idiots never know what’s coming when darkness sets in.”

He chuckled.

“Very good, my dear… I’m glad you're enjoying yourself… You should have more to feast upon soon.”

“Wonderful.” The creature chortled. “I’ll leave you be then. Knowing you, you’ll probably be checking on your friend shortly.”

“I plan to. We have a game to settle after all.” Maxwell smirked. “Take care of yourself, my dear.”

“Will do. Have fun with your friend.”

“I will.”

Maxwell closed his eyes as shadow hands came around him, transporting him back to the palace.

Just you wait Aharon I will steal that cloak back!

Maxwell looked around the area, scanning each detail carefully… then he heard the giggle of a young boy. He smirked, looking to the pillars, seeing a glimpse of someone’s cape fluttering behind it.

“Oh dear…” Maxwell sighed dramatically. “It would seem I’m at loss to where my cloak has gone… as well as the thief who stole it.”

The giggles continued as the source was heard starting to run off. The cape disappeared once more.

Maxwell smirked, bringing shadow hands out.

“Or maybe… he’s right here!”

The hands lunged, pulling a small boy out from behind one of the pillars, bringing him to Maxwell.

“Got ya.”

The boy looked at him with wide eyes before a sheepish smile broke out onto his face.

“I’m not a thief. I’m Sabra. Prince of Egypt, son of Aharon and Chione and-”

Maxwell took the cloak that was in his hands.

“A sneaky little demon.”

Sabra blinked before he giggled. “Okay, you got me…” He held his arms out. “Can I get down now please?”

Maxwell nodded, having the shadow hands set him down.

“Now that I got this back… Aharon, you’re terrible at this game. Using your own son. For shame!”

Sabra giggled as Aharon peered out from behind a tree in the garden.

“You're the one who left it in his reach. He’s five!”

“Ah, but who would’ve asked him to do so, in return he could have his favorite food?”

“... You have a point.”

“I got all the milk and honey I wanted!”

“Sabra!”

Maxwell chuckled, patting the young boy’s head.

“Honesty, good. Great attribute for a king.”

He smiled, nuzzling his hand a little bit. “Hee… Thank you.”

Aharon smiled, making his way over. “He is growing up so fast…” He picked his son up into his arms. “Look at him. He’ll be ruling the land soon enough!”

“Indeed he will.” Maxwell smiled gently. “And he’ll be a great king.”

Sabra grinned, a sneaky look in his eyes. “And when I’m king… Naps and bedtime will be punishable!”

Aharon gave a mock gasp. “No!”

“Yes!”

“Sleep is for the weak.” Maxwell snickered.

“See? And when I’m king he’ll be part of MY court!”

“You two always team up against me!”

Maxwell laughed.

“Against you? Quite the contrary my king! I was merely trying to gain the upper hand in our game!”

“... True.”

“Grown men, yet playing around like children.”

Both men looked behind them to see Chione was present, a smirk being worn on her face.

“And you two are supposedly kings?”

“Ah, dear Chione.” Aharon grinned. “You know all work and no play makes us very VERY grouchy.”

“And I just wanted my cloak back.”

“True, true.” Chione walked over to him, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “Which I hope means things are going well for both of you.”

Aharon smiled, kissing hers in return. “Things are just splendid my dear wife… Even more so now that I get to look at your beautiful face.”

“Oh you.” Chione smiled, before kissing Sabra’s head, taking him into her arms. “And how is my little prince?”

He giggled, nuzzling his mother. “I’m good. I’m just planning my future rule.”

“Sabra here thinks he’s above things like sleep.”

“Oh, I see.” Chione giggled, taking her son into her arms. “You claim yourself to be like our dear Shadow King?”

He nodded, hugging her tightly.

“Yup! I don’t need sleep! I’ll just stay up all day and all night! So I can see EVERYTHING!”

“Admirable to be honest.” Maxwell chuckled. “You see so much when you don’t have to sleep very often.”

“Oh so you DO sleep?” Aharon grinned.

“Hey, even I get tired. I get headaches.”

Sabra’s eyes lit up. “He’s so amazing isn’t he Mother? I want to be just like him when I grow up!”

Chione shook her head, kissing her child’s head. “Maxwell, look at what you’ve created.”

“More like what you and Aharon created. He just likes following me around. Especially when I’m practicing my magic.” He made small shadow flames in his hands. “I will say it’s fun, but I wouldn’t say it’s for everyone.”

“But it is intriguing.”

Aharon nodded, ruffling his son’s hair. “And we’re so grateful to have someone like you.”

Maxwell gave a gentle look.

“It’s always odd hearing that. We of the shadows are always looked at in fear and are considered monsters. Yet you don’t mind my presence or my servants, or even the few subjects of mine you have met.”

The king and queen shrugged a bit.

“You’ve never given us reason to fear. Once we had things worked out well… It wouldn’t make sense to

suddenly grow cold.”

“That’s not how you treat people you care for.”

Maxwell nodded.

“True… Thank you.”

Aharon grinned.

“We wouldn’t have kept you around if you were a threat.”

“Indeed.”

Sabra let out a yawn as his mother held him close to her.

“Although I think your successor here in fact DOES need a nap…”

“Nooo… My reign…”

“Can wait til after nap time.”

“She’s right.” Maxell patted his head. “Build up your strength, then conquer.”

Sabra nodded slowly before his head slumped under his mother’s.

“Okay… Bye bye…”

“Sleep well, young prince.”

Chione cradled him before giving her husband one more kiss, walking out of the garden, leaving Aharon and Maxwell alone.

“Time sure has flown. To me it only feels like days yet look at him…” Maxwell chuckled. “Already in boy hood and wanting to rule the kingdom.”

Aharon sighed in content.

“He really is growing up too fast… Trust me, for Chione and myself it feels like only five days… Like he was born only the previous night… But here he is strong as ever… And I couldn’t be more proud.”

“And you should be… I’ve never really been fond of children yet… Sabra is one that I enjoy being with.”

“And he loves you. He’s far better behaved for you than any other member of the court. He says you're not boring like the others.”

“Well…” Maxwell flicked some shadow flames in the air. “I do have that special touch.”

Aharon grinned, watching them.

“And they’re truly amazing..”

“Thank you, my friend.”

He nodded going quiet, a serious gaze coming to his eyes. “I do have a favor to ask of you… If you're man enough for the task.”

“Try me.”

“Heaven forbid anything happens to me… Protect Chione and Sabra with your life… I ask not as a king but as your friend. Protect that which means more than life itself.”

Maxwell’s eyes were wide before they turned serious.

“I promise… On my throne I swear I’ll protect them.”

Aharon gave a gentle look.

“Thank you… You really are the best friend I could ever hope for.”

Maxwell smiled, feeling touched.

“Anytime…”

“Now… Shall we get back to our duties “Seth”?”

“Yes, let’s.”

“Another trial… Another judgement day…”

“Another day of play for my shadow creatures.”

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Storm137 said:

Um... Aharon's name was in the first  chapter as well. The era hasn't changed it's just been five years.

Yeah, at the end the King even refers to Maxwell as "Seth", Seth being the body's previous owner as explained in chapter one.

• Like 2

Fallen King Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Fallen King Part 3

Fallen King Part 3

And that’s how it was for the past few months. Though… while everything was working well, Maxwell still couldn’t help but think what Aharon had said.

“Heaven forbid anything happens to me… Protect Chione and Sabra with your life… I ask not as a king but as your friend… Protect that which means more than life itself.”

And with saying something like that… That's just begging for something to happen…

Thankfully… something came that put his mind at ease.

“I assure you, you’ll be quite pleased with what I found, Your Highness.” Rune said as he lead Maxwell to an arch. “It’s also very fascinating.”

Maxwell looked to it, curiosity in his eyes. “Do tell… What does this lead to Rune?”

What laid before them was what looked like a window, straight into a new area inhabited by mountains, rushing waters… wildlife he couldn’t quite recognize even with his time spent on Earth. It was… new.

“While our arches are generally used for leading us to Earth, I was tinkering during the night and found this by pure chance. It’s a completely new dimension that’s linked to ours. I’ve had a look around and it’s rather marvelous. It reminds me of Earth, yet it also acts like our world in regards to how some things work. It’s almost like a blend!”

Maxwell brought a hand to his chin, eyes wide in wonder. “That’s so fascinating… It sounds like something that could prove quite useful… Are there no people?”

“I did my best to scope out the whole area and as it stands, it’s only inhabited by beasts of different kinds… Sir, if I may be so bold, I believe this dimension is a mirror to our Shadow World. The locations I visited reminded me so much of our land, even down to how it’s divided. While our world is divided by seas, this one is divided by mountains. I am sure this place is a flipside to our beloved Shadow World.”

“I believe you are correct in that assessment. I also presume there is no Grue for that world either given there is nothing for it to hunt upon?”

“No, and even the nights are well lit by stars when there is no moon so it wouldn’t be possible. This place… is peaceful. Not that our world can’t be, but… there’s no sign of shadow creatures of any kind. I think, if anything, this place is a sanctuary. Bad things can happen, but… just not in the way they do here or on Earth.”

“It sounds marvelous… And it sounds like one part of our world I could possibly share with Aharon… It would be interesting to explore.” Maxwell frowned. “Though… One complication… A world of light… I’m merely a shadow inhabiting a psychical body… Harsh light if I’m not careful could be the end of me…”

“I’m afraid that would be the case, My King. I believe this place wouldn’t be safe for you. I’m able to enter just fine, but… I’m afraid it would be harmful to you, the shadow creatures and even The Grue.”

“Then we’ll just avoid that place or at least I will. I see no harm in other shadow beings going., just not the shadow creatures themselves or my dear Grue… It wouldn’t be fair.” Maxwell sighed a bit. “Pity, I was hoping a new place to explore would be fun.”

“If I may, I’d be more than happy to explore more of it for you when I’m not busy keeping records in check. This place could prove valuable at some point. Considering I know you were concerned about being able to properly protect your friend and his family.”

“Yes… If you find a suitable place, please don’t hesitate to clear it out should they need to use it one day… I promised I would protect them even at the cost of my throne if need be.”

“Noted, Your Highness.”

“Thank you Rune. I trust you with this task… Consider it a mission.”

Rune nodded.

“I’ll take a team and we’ll see what we can find and always, I’ll record it in the Codex.”

Maxwell smiled.

“Thank you. Take care and be safe… And while you're doing that, I’ll be getting back to Earth.”

“Say hello to Sabra for me.” Rune smiled, before walking through the arch, heading into the new dimension.

Maxwell chuckled as shadows came around him.

“As always…”

ooooo

“Hello?” He looked around the garden he had materialized in. “Aharon? Chione?”

It was night time now on Earth. Usually it would be as quiet as it was… but the issue… it was way too quiet. There would at least be some sounds. Mainly Sabra up to his usual tricks, or just spending time with his parents, playing games or enjoying music. But no… it was just silence…

“Aharon…?” Maxwell called out again, walking about the palace. “Chione? Sabra?”

The palace was a mess… There was weapons… Blood…

A few guards were slumped over, cut down at their posts.

Maxwell felt fear bubble up as he moved faster looking for the three.

Please be okay… Please be okay!

“Aharon!? Chione!? Sabra!? Where are you!?”

He felt someone grab his arm, pulling him into one of the hidden rooms, his eyes meeting with that of Chione’s, eyes that had fear engraved into them.

“Quiet, or they might get you too.” She whispered, hiding the entrance, keeping her scared son close to her.

Maxwell felt his fear starting to grow.

“What… What happened while I was gone…? I’ve only been gone for a few days. What happened!?”

“Bandits… A whole horde of them.” Chione lowered her gaze. “They just kept coming… They attacked us in the night.. They took him… They took Aharon!”

Maxwell felt himself go cold, his heart stopping…

“Aharon… He… He’s… dead…?”

Chione nodded.

“As far as we know… Yes…” Her voice cracked as she held her son closer. “They had full intent of it… They’re capable… They killed the guards… Neferet, oh that poor woman she’s dead too… There was only us… and then they found him…”

“M-Maxwell…?” Sabra sniffled. “I… I don’t want to die… Please… I don’t want to die…”

“You won’t…” Maxwell hissed… a growl escaping his mouth. “Where are the monsters that have done this?”

“They were held up in the throne room. That’s where they dragged him away to…” Chione explained, a small sob escaping her. “Please.. Please do something…”

“I will… Oh trust me…” Maxwell’s eyes became dark around the whites, his pupils becoming slitted. “I will.”

He snapped his fingers, two shadow creatures appearing.

“Guard them. No… Sanity. Eating. UNDERSTAND?”

They nodded, huddling close to Chione and Sabra, the two humans shuddering a bit.

“Be safe… Don’t get yourself killed..”

“I won’t.”

Maxwell left the room, covering it before making his way to the throne room, his form changing as he stormed the halls. His hands took on a claw like form as his forearm became consumed in shadows, his ears becoming pointed.

They shall pay… They shall all pay in full.

He was at the entrance of the throne room now. He growled before blowing the doors open, letting out a shriek.

“SHOW YOURSELVES, COWARDS!”

The several bandits inside jumped at his appearance. Their eyes all wide as they exclaimed, stunned. What had the pharaoh hidden out of their view?

“What is that thing?”

“It’s not a man…”

The only one not reacting was the leader who was sitting in Aharon’s throne. He was talking to something quietly nearby… Someone tied up and barely even breathing.

“So, this is the one you kept saying will avenge you, eh my king? Well… Looks like he came to the wrong throne room.” The bandit sneered, pointing to Maxwell. “Seize him! Off with his head like the priestess!”

The bandits hesitated before charging at Maxwell, swords drawn. Maxwell sneered at them, shrieking as he brought his hands up, summoning shadow hands to appear, grabbing the bandits by their throats, tossing them aside.

“Pathetic…” he hissed.

The leader scowled.

“You think you can win that easily? G-Get up! All of you!”

Maxwell snarled.

“You try, you die.”

The bandits cowered in fear, looking at Maxwell with wide eyes.

“What on Earth did the king bring into his court!?”

“It’s a monster!”

“A cold hearted beast!”

Maxwell laughed.

“Music to my ears…” He looked to the leader. “Now, untie Aharon or I will make your life a living nightmare.”

The leader was shaking as he got up, grabbing Aharon by his hair, holding a knife to the king’s throat.

“You don’t scare me… You don’t-”

Maxwell had a shadow hang lunge forward, grabbing the leader by his throat.

“Make my day… I dare you.”

He gagged a bit struggling. But in the end, he let Aharon go as the man fell back to the ground, coughing.

“Ngh…”

“Good little bandit…” Maxwell lifted him off the ground, bringing him to his face. “Now… What to do with you… Banishment… Execution… Oh, so many things to do in regards to treason.”

The bandit’s eyes were wide with terror.

“I-I don’t want to die… Please… Have mercy…” He begged.

“Hm…” Maxwell set him down. “Mercy… Alright… I think I have something like that I can provide…” Maxwell grinned, snapping his fingers, shadow creatures coming in from all angles of the room. “You’ve got ten seconds to start running for your lives and sanity.”

The bandit’s eyes grew wide as he started running, letting out a horrified scream as the shadows pursued him.

“NO! NO GET AWAY FROM ME! NOOOOOOOOO!”

Maxwell grinned to himself as he saw the others leave as well, all screaming as they were pursued.

“Lovely… just… lovely…”

He looked to where Aharon was, rushing over to him, taking him into his arms, his gleeful look fading into one of concern.

“Aharon…?”

The king coughed as he looked up at his friend. There was blood on his face... and seemingly covering him. “Ngh… I’m… I’m sorry… You had to find me like… Like this… I-I guess there’s no time for games today hm?”

Maxwell shook his head.

“No… No there isn’t… But… I… I can fix this… I’ll get you to Rune and he can patch you up and you’ll be okay.”

Aharon closed his eyes, a raspy sigh leaving him.

“Th-That sounds… Nice… A-And my f-family?”

“They’re safe… I’ll take you to them right now and we’re leaving this horrible place. No one will ever know.”

Maxwell got up, keeping Aharon close as he hurried back to Chione and Sabra’s hiding place, his form returning to normal as soon as they entered.

The shadow creatures moved away from them as they looked over. Eyes widening in horror at the sight of Aharon.

“Aharon…” Chione rushed over looking her husband over. “Aharon… Love can you hear me?”

No response… He was cold to her touch.

“Aharon… Come on open your eyes… Please…”

Maxwell shook him a little.

“He… He was just awake a few moments ago… Come on Aharon… Oh we can’t delay any further. Shadows! Take us to the throne room! We need Rune NOW!”

The shadow hands came around them, transporting them from the ruined palace to Maxwell’s throne room. Chione moved back as Maxwell hurried her husband over to where Rune was.

“Please… Do anything you can… ANYTHING for him…”

Rune’s eyes went wide before he nodded, getting straight to work.

“I will do all I can, My King.”

Maxwell backed off, going back to Chione, seeing the woman curled on the floor, holding her son close.

“Chione…” He knelt next to her, opening his arms to her. “I’m here.”

She sobbed throwing her arms around him.

“THIS WASN’T HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE!!” She wailed, sobbing harder. “He… He was the only man I loved… We were supposed to be happy… He was going to live a long life-!”

“Shh…” Maxwell stroked her hair, feeling Sabra’s weight on his other side, bringing his free arm around him. “Shh… Rune’s doing all he can right now…”

“Father’ll be okay… Right?” Sabra asked, giving Maxwell a pleading look. “Right?”

“I don’t know Sabra…. All we can do is hope for the best… and…” Maxwell bit his lip. “Be prepared for the worst.”

Sabra frowned, laying his head against Maxwell’s chest, sniffling. “Okay…”

Chione frowned, kissing her son’s head. “Have faith… Even if things seem terrible now… We can only move forward… As your father used to say…”

Sabra nodded.

“Right…”

Maxwell kept them both close, biting his lip hard to keep himself from crying.

By all the shadows please let Aharon live… PLEASE.

It felt like days, even though it was only a few short hours before Rune emerged from his work space, a grim look in his eyes.

Chione had cried herself to sleep, slumped against Maxwell, Sabra being distracted by the images the shadow king would conjure up for him.

“Sire?”

Maxwell looked up, a pleading look in his eyes. “Yes Rune? What do you have to report?”

“Is my father alright?” Sabra asked hopefully.

Rune sighed.

“It's bad… He’s lost too much blood. This beyond my control… He’s still here but… probably for not much longer… I’m sorry, My King…”

Maxwell sighed feeling like someone had just punched him in the stomach. Sabra’s eyes welled up in tears.

“No…”

“Thank you Rune… You're dismissed…” He shook Chione gently. “Chione… Wake up..”

“Mm…? H-How is he?”

Rune left, head lowered in shame.

“I’ll go alert The Reaper.” He added.

Maxwell sighed.

“Aharon is dying… but we have one last chance to see him before he leaves…”

Chione teared up but nodded as she got up, taking her son into her arms. “L-Let’s go then… Let’s bid him farewell my child…”

“I don’t… I don’t wanna say goodbye…”

Maxwell frowned.

“I don’t want to either but… I’d rather say something rather than nothing.”

He lead them to where Rune had been treating him. Aharon was bandaged around the chest and was cleaned up now… but he was so pale. He looked to them weakly, seeing them approach.

“Chione…” He whispered. “Maxwell… Sabra…”

Chione took a shaky breath, going to her husband’s side, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Hello my love… I… I’m sorry…”

“Father...” Sabra leaned over nuzzling his father carefully. “I love you…”

“We love you so much…”

“I love you too… My dear wife… my child…” He looked to Maxwell, forcing a smile. “My friend…”

Maxwell walked over, taking one of his hands into his.

“I should’ve been there… I could’ve stopped this…”

Aharon shook his head a little.

“There is no escaping fate… Time stops for no man… King or not… Shadow or not…”

“Aharon… I… I’m so sorry…”

“Please… don’t be…” Aharon squeezed his hands weakly. “Please… take care of Chione and Sabra… I trust you…”

Maxwell swallowed hard, not even realizing a tear escaped one of his eyes.

“I will… I… I promise…”

Aharon gave him a grateful look, giving his hand one last squeeze.

“G-Good… Make sure they keep out of trouble… You know my son’s love for tricks…”

“I do… I intend to teach him more in your stead.”

“S-Splendid…” He looked to Chione. “Chione… please… do not grieve… be strong… I’ll always be with you…”

Chione cupped his cheek in her hand, giving him one final kiss.

“I know you will… How can I not be strong, when you taught me how? I’ll take care of our boy… Ensure he grows into a kind man… Just like you…”

Aharon nodded looking to his son.

“And you… Be good for them… Be strong… D-Don’t worry… And never forget you know how to be strong too…”

“Father…”

“Keep Maxwell in line… and Maxwell…” Aharon took off the pendant around his neck, placing it in his hands. “Keep this safe for me… So you don’t forget all that we’ve been through.”

Maxwell had tears rolling down his face. He placed the pendant around his own neck.

“I would be a bloody fool if I forgot my best friend… The only friend I’ve had since I became king…” He gave a bitter laugh.

“Heh… Isn’t that quite the development… Considering when we met… you thought we would just be a partnership… yet in the end… we were thick as thieves…” Aharon let a small laugh. “I’ll never forget you… my… friend…”

Aharon went silent, his head falling to the side, his eyes empty of life.

Maxwell’s eyes went wide before he frowned, covering his face with the blanket that had covered him. “Rest well… I won’t ever forget…”

Chione closed her eyes tightly, trying not to cry out.

“Be free my love…”

Sabra kept close to his mother, both leaning over Aharon’s body. Maxwell was silent before he left the room, returning to his throne. He looked at the pendant around his neck, his hand shaking as he held it.

… They stole… everything… Those monsters… Those filthy scum….

He let out a scream, throwing shadow flames into the air.

“IT’S NOT FAIR!!”

He fell to the ground, sobbing a bit.

“It’s not fair… It’s just not fair…!” He growled. “Those humans… Those selfish filthy scums that inhabit that world… They don’t deserve to live… I… I’ll make them squirm… I’ll make them plead for mercy…”

If they want to see me as a monster…

Then fine.

I’ll be their worst nightmare.

• Like 3

Fallen King Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Fallen King Part 4

Fallen King Part 4

A month had passed since Aharon’s death. Maxwell was doing his best to carry on, making sure Chione and Sabra were looked after. Though no one could deny that the king’s usual demeanor was absent. He wasn’t exactly a cheery person, but he wasn’t one to be closed off from those of his kingdom.

He just went about his business. Making deals with humans who summoned him, bringing them to the Shadow World and putting them through the standard trials of survival. There were even some he brought on his own accord from just exploring more of Earth and finding people desperate for anything. He’d give them what they want… for a price.

Rune frowned as he saw Maxwell return from a deal, sitting on his throne. He had a dead look in his green eyes.

“Sire…?” Rune asked, approaching him gently. “Are… you feeling alright?”

“Oh yes… I feel just fine…” He growled. “If fine is feeling like my entire world just shattered and the only relief is from tormenting the monsters that caused this! Then yes. I’m just positively SPLENDID!”

Rune stumbled back in shock, lowering his head.

“M-My apologies, Your Highness.”

Maxwell lowered his head, rubbing his forehead.

“My head… Gah…”

Rune hurried over to him, bringing out a vial of Nightmare Fuel.

“Here, for you, My King.”

Maxwell took it, drinking the Nightmare Fuel as he sighed shakily. He blinked, his eyes having some life come back to them. “Thank you, Rune..”

“Anything for My King… You haven’t been yourself as of late… I know Aharon’s passing took a toll on you but I fear something else is at work.”

“The shadows are so hungry… I need to keep them in line… I don’t want them attacking Chione or Sabra… They already have enough to fear…”

“I see… Then… I probably shouldn’t tell you something I’ve been hearing about the land from The Grue.”

Maxwell’s gaze flicked back to him. “Tell me. I’d rather know or else it’s going to be yet another thing to keep me awake when I’d rather just rest…’

“There’s been talk of mutiny… Apparently some of your “loyal” subjects are thinking you’re losing your touch and aren’t quite fit to rule.”

“Talk of mutiny… Hahaha…. That sounds so familiar…” Maxwell smirked, another laugh escaping him. “That’s what happened before they stormed his palace and sliced his court to ribbons!”

“Sire… I worry for Chione and Sabra’s safety. They could be potential targets. I’ve been thinking and you don’t have to agree but… I’ve been pondering over the idea of sending them to that dimension I found. The Light Dimension as I’ve been calling it.”

“Is it hospitable for them? Would they be tucked far away that no one even eons later could find them?”

“The place, as my research has proven, is very peaceful, and can only be accessed through the Post Moderns. And even then, you need to have the spell to open the portal to it. The beasts are docile and only attack when provoked. In all… They would be safe there, My King. The only detractor is not being able to visit them.”

“Allow me a day with them… I still have some unfinished business… I don’t want to just send them off only for them to be cut down by a mere human illness…”

“Yes, Your Highness. I’ll be standing by then.” Rune summoned a tome in his hands, giving it to Maxwell. “I believe you’ll need the Codex Umbra.”

Maxwell took it in his hands, flipping through the spells.

“I’m going to keep my promise to Aharon… Keep watch for me while I do so… I’ll let you know when the time is right. And please, don’t hesitate to interrupt me if something is happening.”

“Yes sir.”

Maxwell nodded before heading to where Chione and Sabra were. Sabra was playing with a few toys Maxwell had conjured up for him. Chione looking through a few of the books in the room.

“Enjoying yourselves?”

“Keeping our minds off things as best as we can.” Chione replied.

Sabra jumped up, running over and hugging Maxwell’s leg.

“Are you here to play again?”

Maxwell smiled gently, kneeling to his level, hugging him.

“For a moment… I need to discuss something with both of you.”

Sabra smiled, giving a nod. “Okay!”

Chione got a curious look as she set down her book. “What’s going on?”

Maxwell sighed.

“I will be honest… I believe here is not the safest place for you. I know the shadow creatures have… had moments where they couldn’t help themselves… and it’s only going to get worse… My advisor has just informed me there has been talk of mutiny among some of my subjects. Saying I’m not fit to rule since I’m slipping into insanity…”

Chione frowned. “You're a fine ruler… But I admit, I am concerned given we’ve had slips in sanity ourselves… The night terrors, the sleep walking… I’m worried one of us is going to get hurt… And it can’t be easy on you constantly fending them off of us…”

“It isn’t… Reason I’m providing an opportunity for a much safer place for you to go to… and… in a sense rule.”

“Where are we gonna live?” Sabra asked cuddled up to Maxwell eyes wide in wonder.

“A place known as The Light Dimension.”

“Where is that?” Chione asked.

“A world flipside to the Shadow World. It’s safe, the creatures there are docile… I believe the place could use people like you as its tenders… However… there is a cost. It is a place of light and with that… I can not enter it. I may walk in a human’s body, but it doesn’t change the fact that I am a shadow. Too much light and it would be the end of me.”

Chione frowned. “So we would never see you again…?”

“B-But you promised…”

Maxwell held Sabra closer.

“I know I did… And you would be able to see me if you came back here… but… I… I just can’t keep you here… It just wouldn’t work and my job is to protect you and I am determined to do it… Even if it means letting you go.”

Sabra cuddled close to him, holding onto his shirt. “I’ll take care of Mother… I promise… We’ll be fine… Right?”

“That’s right… And we trust your judgement. If you say go here we’ll go.”

“Good.” Maxwell set Sabra down, pulling out the Codex Umbra from his cloak. “You two shall be that land’s rulers then… But there’s one last thing I need to do. Hold still.”

They did as told as Maxwell spoke in an unknown language, a spell being cast around their bodies. They felt a little dizzy at first, but were able to regain their balance.

“There.” Maxwell made the book disappear. “It’s done.”

Chione lifted Sabra up into her arms. “What was that spell?”

“A spell of longevity. To ensure you’ll be able to live there safely… No illness, heightened ability to heal from injuries - Not that I’m encouraging that mind you! And while Sabra will age it will be very slow… And Chione, you may not age at all.”

Chione looked at her son who nodded. They both smiled, hugging each other.

“Good… Because I don’t want to leave my little boy.”

“And I don’t wanna leave mother.”

“And I want the best for you…” Maxwell had a saddened look in his eyes. “And I will miss you both… I just don’t want you to be surrounded by this madness. You deserve to be happy.”

Chione brought an arm around him, bringing him close. “And we will miss you terribly… And when this all calms down we will find a way to visit and make sure you haven’t lost. Understand?”

Maxwell nodded, bringing his arms around them. “I’ll make sure never to fall then… Just be safe… That’s all I want. Safety and joy..”

“We will.” Sabra nuzzled him. “We love you Maxwell.”

Maxwell smiled gently, keeping them close.

“Love you both.”

Chione smiled softly. “You’ve been so good to us… Aharon would be so happy.”

“I try… I care for you as much as I cared for him.”

“And it shows.”

Maxwell handed Sabra off to Chione.

“Thank you… I won’t be forgetting you anytime soon… I promise.”

“Sire!”

Rune came running in, panting.

Maxwell narrowed his eyes. “I take it they didn’t even give us a grace period?”

“N-No sir!”

“Wonderful…” Maxwell growled, he looked to Chione and Sabra. “You two need to leave now… Rune, take to the Light Dimension… and once they’re in, shut down the portal so others can’t find them. Understand?”

Rune nodded, a serious look in his eyes. “I understand My King. I’ll look after them, you won’t have to worry.” He looked to them. “Let’s hurry while they're distracted. The Grue is keeping them busy for now.”

“Right.” Chione hurried after keeping her son close. “Goodbye!”

“Farewell.” Maxwell turned away from them, closing his eyes as his shadow form returned, a crazed grin crossing his face.

“And so it comes to this… Well… Guess I’ll be making changes around here then…”

“My King! They’re coming!” The Grue shrieked.

“Let them come.” Maxwell stood in front of his throne, waiting patiently for them to come.

Soon, the rebels appeared, holding onto swords made of dark energy, coated in armor from the cave materials down below.

“You!” The leader hissed. “It’s time for a new reign to begin! Maxwell of the Shadows you’ve betrayed your kind… It’s time to pay for that crime!”

“That’s quite the accusation.” Maxwell narrowed his eyes. “Prey tell how I’ve betrayed you? I haven’t caused death to my people or forced them into slavery. The only thing I’ve done is what others have been doing. Interacting with humans.”

“The filth? The ones who you won’t allow those of us who are pure shadow to devour their sanity to feed?”

“I thought I made it clear to all shadow creatures that Chione and Sabra were not to be harmed. Their only prey is the survivors I bring here. Even The Grue understands this. But you, you are a SHADOW BEING. You do not require sanity. You’re lying through your teeth. I’m not an idiot.”

The rebel snarled. “You’re going mad… You’re growing old… You can’t possibly believe we’ll follow you forever…”

“... I guess those are all true… I am mad… this body I possessed is growing old… and with the lot of you… Yes, I do believe you won’t follow me… But you know what…?” He gave a crazed look. “I don’t care… My only concern, is to those who are smart enough to stay in line. You lot are not of those smart ones. You are of the idiots who dare commit treason.”

The others in the group were looking to their leader with nervous looks.

“S-Sir.” One spoke up. “We-We really don’t want a fight. W-We were talked into it!”

“Silence!” Their leader hissed. “You all had faith going up here that I’d be a better king-!”

“Oh really?” Maxwell picked the leader up by his throat with shadow hands. “And how would you be better than I?”

“I wouldn’t waste our resources keeping the survivors alive long enough to go insane. T-They’d be all rounded up… Like the worthless cattle they are! E-Especially ones like that “friend” you kept running off to see.”

The grip around the man’s throat tightened.

“You are asking for WAR you scum!” Maxwell shrieked. “I may enjoy causing insanity but I draw the line at mass slaughter! It would be doom for all of us! BY SHADOWS, YOU ARE JUST AS STUPID AS THOSE BANDITS!”

The leader gasped, struggling in the grip, trying to get loose.

The others stared at Maxwell in horror, dropping their weapons and backing up far out of his reach… Or at least they hoped.

“I should kill you for this… but… you know what?” Maxwell brought the leader down, having him look him right in the eyes. “If you want to feed off sanity… I’ll give you that… You’re a beast for attempting this… So… you can enjoy being one!”

Maxwell slapped the man away from him with a shadow hand, his form changing into that of one of the many shadow creatures Maxwell had command over, slumping to the floor in front of his followers.

“I’m sure you’ll make a fine terrorbeak!”

The newly formed terrorbeak gave a horrified screech as it looked at itself looking around at its former comrades.

“SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

Maxwell threw his head back laughing before looking to the others, a cold look in his eyes.

“Let this fool be an example to all of you. If any of you DARE try to overthrow me or question my ways, you will wind up just like him!” He growled, throwing his hand out to them. “Now… BOW AND SHOW ME YOUR LOYALTY!”

The terrified rebels dropped down to their knees bowing to him.

“LONG LIVE THE KING!” They chanted fear in all their eyes. “ALL HAIL MAXWELL!”

“AGAIN!”

They did as told, Rune soon appearing in the room.

“Sire?” He said quietly. “Chione and Sabra are safe.”

Maxwell nodded keeping his eyes on those saying praise in his name.

“Good… And Rune… As much as it pains me to say this… I’m beginning to wonder if it’d be wise to put more in the path of danger if fools like these keep coming…”

“I… I don’t understand.” Rune frowned. “What do you mean…?”

“You are still very valuable to me as an archiver… But I don’t believe I want an advisor who will be attacked if I don’t tighten my grip on these fools… I want you to have as they say…. A life.”

Rune’s eyes were wide in shock before they softened, bowing to Maxwell.

“I will do what you ask of me, My King. I’ll continue keeping Codex up to date and the archives in check, but I shall no longer be your advisor.”

“Very good, Rune.”

Maxwell looked to the cowering rebels, giving them a sinister look.

And let it be known through all of the Shadow World... Earth… Wherever.

I will never fall.

END

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

So that's the end?

I kinda wanna see a comparison between Maxwell's human form and monster form (like in chp 3. Speaking of which, actually made me cry a little :p )

Have you drawn Rune yet btw? I'm not sure if I missed it or not.

Maxwell:

On 10/13/2016 at 3:36 PM, Aileen-Rose said:

DS.png

Rune:

On 10/18/2016 at 0:47 PM, Aileen-Rose said:

DS 13.jpeg

• Like 3

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 1

Dark Knowledge Part 1

Quiet.

That was rule number one.

Rule number two.

Find a tome and let your mind go wild. Be it a fantastical adventure or just learning something new.

And in your mind, you can be as loud as you want.

Melinda Wickerbottom sighed happily as she looked up from her book, seeing people milling about her library, finding books to read while they were there or coming up to her to check them out to take home. It brought her joy knowing how much interest people took in literature. It was something she was more than happy to share with others.

“Ah, another beautiful day in our glorious library, eh Melinda?”

Melinda chuckled, rolling her eyes as she saw a young man pass on by her counter, riding on a cart full of books.

“Sebastian, softer voice, please, and careful with those. Those are vintage.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Sebastian smirked as he disappeared down an aisle, almost hitting someone with his cart. “Woop! Sorry!”

Melinda leaned over to see who Sebastian almost hit, relieved to see them alright. It was a young man with wild slicked back hair and dark blue eyes. She recognized him by the hair alone.

Ah, Mr. Percival Higgsbury. He must be here on his usual study schedule again.

Percival was making his way over to a table, carrying a load of books. Melinda watched him quietly before looking away as soon as he glanced at her.

After a moment, she glanced up from her book again, seeing Percival reading through one of the books, his gaze focused on what was inside. She smiled, nodding to herself.

I always like seeing someone being focused on their literature… And he’s always coming in here…

“Heeeey, what are you staring at?”

Melinda jumped, seeing Sebastian was leaning on the right side of her counter.

“S-Sebastian! Don’t scare me like that!”

“Sorry, I’m light on my feet.” He looked to where Melinda had been staring, smirking a little. “Ah, I know that guy. He’s one of our regulars. Professor Higgsbury. Always up to his head in books on theorems or whatever sciency stuff humans like learning more about.”

“Shh!” Melinda put her finger to her lips. “Not so loud! Rule number one.”

“Right, right.” Sebastian lowered his voice. “Whispering only in a library… and no bringing up the Shadow World.”

“Good boy.” Melinda looked back to Percival, a wistful look in her eyes. “He’s always so polite whenever he comes up to the desk asking about certain books… And he’s always on time. Always. I’ve never had a late fee from him…”

“Aww… That’s sweet.” Sebastian chortled. “Beats some of the riff raff we get once and awhile.”

“Oh, most definitely… And he doesn’t dog ear books. He actually uses a bookmark… And he doesn’t crack the spines either.”

“I think someone’s got a favorite.” Sebastian said in a sing song tone. “I can’t blame you, he never gets mad at me if I almost hit him with my cart.”

She nodded, blushing a little. “I’d say more but… I can’t exactly judge his entire character on just how he treats books… For all I know, he could be something worse than a shadow creature… For all I know, he’s a madman.”

“... You mean you’ve never had a genuine conversation with him?”

Melinda huffed a little. “I was doing my job thank you very much!” And part of that job being read as much as I possibly can… And I can’t interrupt his reading! That’d be hypocritical!

“Shhhh.” Sebastian put a finger to his lips. “Rule number one, Melinda.” He chortled again. “So, yeah, he’s a good customer, good enough for me.” He grabbed his cart. “I’ll leave you to your fantasies. I’ve got organizing to do.”

“Please organize them properly this time. Shakespeare is not to be put with the biology section.”

“It was an honest mistake!”

“Or a prank.”

Sebastian stuck his tongue out as he rolled away on his cart.

“Nya!”

Melinda rolled her eyes… Smirking when she noticed Percival looked up at Sebastian.

“Shh!”

A man after my own heart, really.

Percival chortled to himself a little before looking back to his book. He yawned a bit before getting up, stretching as he walked around the area, deep in thought.

“OOF!”

Percival was knocked out of his train thought as he looked down to see a little girl had bumped into his leg.

“U-Uh…” She stuttered a little, intimidated by the man’s height. “S-Sorry mister… I… I was just playing hide seek with my friends and I was running to find a hiding spot and… Um…”

Percival smiled gently, kneeling to her level.

“It’s alright, Young Miss, just be more careful.” He helped her to her feet. “Though if you want a good hiding spot, try the drama section. It’s got some empty book shelves you could probably fit into.”

The girl smiled, curtseying before running off.

“Thanks, Mister!”

He chuckled. “Ah, the days of youth… I remember it fondly.” He shook his head. “Well, back to work I suppose…” He walked back to the desk where his books were… only to find a few missing. “Eh?” He sighed. “Oh dear… Looks I forgot some again. It really has been a long week.”

He trudged on over to the science section, finding the books he was looking for… though was baffled at their locations.

Why are they all next to each other? That can’t be right…

He reached up to pull one of them out, finding it was stuck tightly. He gave a harder tug… only for his eyes to go wide at the sight of a bunch of books falling on him after it came out, burying the man alive.

THUD! THUD! THUD! THUD!

“Ow…” He groaned, a book landing on his head. “Guh… That smarts.”

“Oh my, what an unfortunate accident.” Sebastian remarked, walking by with his cart. He went over, starting to pick up some of the books. “Oh and look at that, seems a few paper cuts on your face as well, Sir. The librarian at the front has something for that.” He grinned a little.

Percival gave a flat look as he dug himself out, dusting off his sleeves, cringing at the aforementioned papercuts.

“Gah… I didn’t even think that was possible with just a book avalanche.”

“You’d be surprised-”

“Sebastian, I’ll be handling this from here. I believe someone spilled their tea onto the rug in the mystery section. You can take care of THAT.”

“Yes, Melinda.” Sebastian replied, rolling away on his cart, humming a tune to himself.

Percival looked up, a twinge of embarrassment coming to his face as his eyes locked with Melinda’s.

Melinda had concern in her eyes as she came close, looking him over. “I am very sorry about this. This normally doesn’t happen… Can I please get you something for those?”

“S-Sure… Um… I’m the one who should be sorry. I caused a huge mess and might’ve damaged some books.”

“A person is more important than a book… and you wouldn’t be the first person to get a good smack from a hardcover book. My assistant once had a complete collection of Edgar Allen Poe fall right onto his head and render him unconscious.”

Percival brought a hand over his mouth.

“O-Oh goodness. That must’ve been quite the bump on his head.”

“Nevermore, Melinda, please, nevermore!” She recited with a small giggle. “He did have a bump but he was fine… and not losing his sense of humor for sure.”

“I see…” Percival cringed bit, having touched one of the cuts on his face. “Ngh… Sheesh… Amazing how small cuts like these can sting so much.”

“And yet larger ones don’t.” Melinda lead him to her counter, going through a box behind the desk before producing a container. “Now, this isn’t normally what would be put on it but it’s… a little home remedy…” If by home remedy you mean crushing spider glands with ash into a fine paste…

Percival got a curious look.

“That so?”

She motioned him to look in as she took the lid off the top, revealing it was full of a pale greyish toned paste. “It’ll make those go away in an instant, I promise. May I?”

Percival nodded.

“By all means.”

She nodded before carefully applying the salve to the cuts, unable to hide the faint blush that came to her cheeks. I… am touching… his face...

Percival cringed a bit, but soon relaxed as the salve took its effect, the wounds fading. He felt the areas, amazement coming to his eyes.

“Incredible… I’ve never seen anything like this. Did you make it?”

Melinda shook her head.

“Oh no no no, it’s an old remedy that was made by someone my family knew a long time ago.”

More like it was invented by one of the greatest shadow archivists of all time… Or least it was his original formula before I modified it.

“Ah… I see…” Percival brought a hand to his chin. “Fascinating…”

“It is. It’s good for just about any injury. At least the minor ones. Deeper cuts or anything that hit an artery I’d still wrap after using some of it.”

“Got ya… Sorry if I’m obsessing a little. I’m a student of all sciences, proudly so, but… out of all them, biology is my favorite, so, something like this is… well… of interest to me. Anything relating to life in general is interesting.”

Melinda smiled gently. “I understand… It really is fascinating but… It is a secret… I couldn’t tell you the ingredients even if I wanted to.” And you would never believe me.

Percival gave a gentle look.

“And I’ll respect your privacy, Ms. Wickerbottom.”

She felt some heat rush to her cheeks as she nodded.

“Thank you very much, Mr. Higgsbury… You're too kind.”

“I just do my best to be a gentlemen.” Percival stretched a bit before starting to head back to the desk he had been working at. “I’ll let you get back to work. Thanks for treating me.”

“Y-You’re welcome.” She headed back to where the books had been dropped, seeing Sebastian had already replaced them… and Percival’s missing text books.

“You rascal.” She muttered, taking out the books Percival needed, bringing them to his desk. “One last thing.” She said, setting them down. “You forgot these.”

“Oh.” Percival grinned. “Thank you.”

“Y-You’re welcome.” She smiled before hurrying back to her counter. “E-Enjoy!”

She quickly brought a book to her face, trying to hide the redness of her cheeks.

“So… Nice guy, huh?”

Melinda groaned a little, seeing Sebastian was now present again at the counter, a grin worthy of a cheshire cat present on his face.

“You…” She shook her finger at him. “I know it was you, you mischief maker!”

“Shh.”

Melinda grabbed her stamp usually reserved for marking a book off as sent out, holding it near his face.

“If you don’t want to be stamped as a loaner, I would give me an explanation.”

“Ooooooooooooh.” Sebastian chuckled. “So my plan did work. I just wanted you to talk to him since you seem interested. And getting this defensive? Oooooooh, Melinda, did you get shot in the heart?”

Melinda turned bright red before tapping the stamp on his cheek quickly leaving a blue stain. “I did not!”

“Oof!” Sebastian rubbed his cheek. “That’s gonna take forever to get out!”

“It’s called soap and I did give you a chance!”

Sebastian got a sneaky look.

“And as did I and look! You and science boy had a somewhat casual conversation!”

She let out a very audible squeak as she fiddled with the stamp in her hands.

“Nawwww…” Sebastian brought his hands to his face, squishing his cheeks. “Does the witch have a crush on the scientist?”

Melinda shook her head quickly, still quiet.

I don’t have a crush!

“Dawww! You do!”

“Shh!” She gave a pleading look. “Not so loud! Okay, so maybe I think he’s handsome… and he’s adorable when he’s talking about his interests…”

“It’s a start, dear Mel.”

“Maybe…”

“Hey, nothing to be ashamed of. Just take it slow and see what happens.

“Right…”

If anything happens, that is…

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Idk if I've heard of Sebastian in this story before or if the name is just too common :p

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

Sebastian Michaelis from Black Butler. :wilson_sneaky: Host club butler extraordinaire. This Sebastian is a completely different character.

Also it should be noted Sebby appeared briefly in Light in the Shadows during "New Reign".

• Like 1

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 2

Dark Knowledge Part 2

“I’m telling you, it was something else, Robert.” Percival went on, pacing a bit around the lab. “I mean, I’ve seen people use ointments for cuts before but… this was more effective than anything I’ve seen anyone report.”

Robert chuckled, the young man tinkering with some equipment.

“If you say so, Percival. I’ll take your word for it.” Robert gave a smirk. “Though… You seem more fascinated with the librarian than the concoction she used on you. I mean, you’ve mentioned her before but I think this is the first of you mentioning actually speaking to her outside of library business matters.”

Percival raised an eyebrow.

“So?”

“Do tell, Percival, do you find her attractive by any chance?”

Percival turned a little red.

“R-Robert!”

“What? It’s an honest question. There’s nothing wrong with being attracted to someone. It’s normal. You of all people should know that.”

Percival sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“... Maybe… Just… I kind of hate myself for being attracted by appearances first… Though that part of her was enhanced when I saw her just being herself. She’s strong minded, confident… and as I found out as of yesterday, very kind… and intelligent…” He stopped as he saw the smirk on Robert’s face just get bigger before hanging his head. “... Okay, you got me.”

Robert gave a gentle look.

“Percival, might I suggest just trying to talk to her more?”

“What would I even say to her? I can’t just walk up to her and talk about the weather. She has a job to do in the library… And… I don’t know… I don’t want to come off as creepy…”

“I’m no expert on romance… and I honestly don’t know if I’m qualified to give advice since you’re both older than me and my superior… But… I’m not going to leave it as just talk to her. Ask her questions of things that interest her. Basically… just ask her what her favorite books are and then work from there. She’s a librarian. I’m sure that will get her attention… Also, who said you had to talk to her during library hours? Talk to her near closing time.”

“True… True…” Percival gave a confident look. “Okay, I’ll try that tomorrow during my next visit.”

“Sounds good… Now, as interesting as your love life is… Could I get some help with this device I’m working on? It’s giving me trouble again.”

Percival chuckled, sitting down with him.

“You’re really set on this supposed communication device, aren’t you?”

“Hey, I like the idea of being able to help others communicate better in regards to long distance.”

“And I think it's a wonderful idea. Just don’t forget about your other studies.”

“I won’t. What am I going to do, get a genie to grant my greatest wish?”

“Oh, if only life were that simple.” Percival shook his head. “Come on.”

oooooo

It was closing time. Melinda and Sebastian were hurrying about the library, making sure everything was still in order, shooing out people who were too caught up in their reading. It was routine and everything was going pretty well…

“GAH!” Sebastian pinched his nose shut. “What is that smell!?”

Melinda scowled a bit, sniffing the air.

“Looks like we got some smokers.” She hurried to the source, and sure enough, there were some young boys smoking pipes in one of the reading areas. “Hey! I don’t allow smoking in my library! I must ask you to leave.”

One of the boys looked up, scoffing at her.

“Oh? What are you gonna do, hag, slap us?”

“I ought to, but that’s more so your mother’s job. Now, I’m only going to ask one more time. LEAVE.”

Another boy smirked, blowing smoke in her face, getting a few coughs out of her.

“How about no?” He picked up a book, holding a match next to it. “And we’ll throw in our own threat. Ask us to leave again, and we torch the place.”

Melinda narrowed her eyes. “So, you're threatening to commit arson? Did I just hear you lads right?” She crossed her arms.

They nodded.

“We ain’t scared of some hag.”

“Oh yeah?” Sebastian walked up, standing beside her, cracking his knuckles. “What about dear old Sebby?”

They gulped, the leader holding the match, about to go and strike it.

“Sebastian, send them outside. And do direct them to the fountain out front.”

“Yes, Mel.” Sebastian moved towards them. “And honestly, you punks are a bunch of bloody idiots.” Sebastian picked up the leader, hauling him over his shoulder, picking up another in his free arm, and scooping up the rest in his cart. “It’s a rainy day. Fire wouldn’t do you much good.” Sebastian whistled a tune as he headed out. “Now, time to take out the rubbish.”

“Guh! PUT US DOWN YOU FREAK SHOW!” The leader started kicking at him. “PUT ME DOWN!!!”

“Mmmm nope.” Sebastian kept whistling, disappearing from Melinda’s sight.

Melinda sighed in relief, finishing the rest of her patrol around the library. The rest of the library seemed empty till she came back to her counter, surprised to see someone there… and none other than Percival who was looking around, seeming almost lost.

“Mr. Higgsbury?” She asked, curiosity coming to her eyes. “Can I help you with anything?”

Percival jumped a little, looking to her.

“O-Oh! Ms. Wickerbottom, there you are. I… Um…” He took a deep breath, relaxing himself. “I wanted to um… ask you about something… Though, before I ask that.” He pointed to the entrance. “What was with all that riff raff I just saw Sebastian throw into the fountain?”

Melinda sighed.

“They threatened to burn my library down if I asked them to leave again.”

Percival’s eyes widened.

“That’s… That’s just uncalled for! They should know better. For heaven’s sake it’s a LIBRARY. There’s important archives here, you can’t just… do something like that.”

Melinda sighed again. “They wanted to keep smoking in my library which I couldn’t allow.”

“Well... shame on them… I’m sorry that happened to you…”

“It’s taken care of.” Sebastian grinned, coming in, drying his hair off. “They’ll probably have colds for a week.” He looked to Percival. “And I see we have one last person. Do I need to toss him too?” He snickered.

“No!” Melinda snapped a little. “He’s fine!”

“Alright, alright.” Sebastian held up his hands, walking backwards away from them. “I’ll let you handle him and I’ll finish sweeping up.”

“Thank you, dear!” She turned to Percival, giving a sheepish look. “My apologies.”

“It’s quite alright, I know shouldn’t be here at closing hours… As I mentioned earlier I had a question for you.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “... Oh this is going to sound so stupid now… It’s really not that important…”

“No. If you came out here it is.” She gave a gentle look. “Please… I’d like to know.”

“Well…” Percival sighed. “I… I was wondering… What are your favorite things to read?” Guh! I must sound so stupid right now!

She smiled warmly. “I enjoy Shakespeare, he’s my favorite writer. I also enjoy the works of Mary Shelley.”

“That so?”

“Yes.” She grinned.

“I see…” Percival smiled, feeling himself relax. “Shakespeare, huh? Which one is your favorite?”

“A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream.” Melinda replied. “It’s such a beautiful play. I do love reading it over and over. The others are fantastic as well but I enjoy that one in particular. Have you got a favorite?”

“I admit, I haven’t read much of his work… But I did find Hamlet to be rather interesting.”

“Oh, it is very intriguing. A story of revenge if I had ever seen one, but it was beautiful in its own way as well. The way the characters developed, quite fascinating.”

“Indeed…” Percival found himself gazing a little.

Melinda smiled warmly, gazing a bit herself. “You certainly know your literature Mr. Higgsbury… I quite like that…”

“W-Well, I try to stay well educated and while scientific articles and educational reads are something I enjoy, I still find it important to still have recreational reading in order to relax after a long week of school work.”

“And it’s good to have your imagination opened up. It keeps the mind sharp…. And truly there is nothing quite like a well written book.”

“Agreed.”

She grinned. “Indeed.”

Things went quiet between them. Percival felt it growing slightly awkward, struggling to find anything else to say.

He cleared his throat, adjusting the collar of his shirt.

“Well, thank you for answering my question but I… I guess I better leave…”

Melinda frowned a little. “You don’t have to run off so fast.”

“Huh?” Percival had surprise come to his eyes.

“I like talking to you… I’d like to get to know you more…”

Percival perked up a bit, feeling his heartbeat a little faster.

“You would…?”

Melinda blushed a little, nodding quickly. “I would…”

“W-Well… if you insist.”

“Can I interest either of you in some tea?”

Both looked to see Sebastian had returned, holding a tray with a teapot and cups on it.

“It is rather cold outside today and well… I thought I’d make something nice and hot. I even made some scones and with the weather we’re having, I’m sure the second floor near the balcony would have a lovely view of the storm.”

Melinda smiled warmly, giving a nod. “Oh Sebastian, I would love that. That sounds marvelous doesn’t it, Mr. Higgsbury?”

Percival nodded, blushing a bit at the way she looked at him, such joy in her eyes.

“It does.”

“Come on then.” Sebastian waved a hand, leading them upstairs. “I’ll make sure the front doors are locked so we don’t get more riff raff.”

“Thank you, Sebastian.”

Once they were seated and had their tea poured, Sebastian hurried off to get his task done.

“I swear I’d be lost without him. He’s like a brother to me really.”

“He seems very loyal and while a bit mischievous, very attentive to his job.” Percival chuckled. “Even if he has almost run me over a few times with that cart of his. I’m surprised how fast he gets around with that thing with such near perfect control.”

Melinda giggled. “He’s been my assistant for years. He just finds his way around it and well, when you know the library as well as he does, you find ways to get around and make things interesting.” She took a sip of her tea, sighing in content. “And still remembers my favorite tea.”

“Earl grey… I couldn’t agree more.”

“Indeed.” She offered him a scone. “Do you like chocolate chip?”

“Who doesn’t like chocolate?” He chuckled, taking it. “Thank you.”

“Fools. Fools don’t like chocolate, hence them being fools.” Melinda smirked.

“Heh…” Percival looked out the window, watching the rain. “It really is coming down today. I’m glad I didn’t leave.”

“I am too.” Melinda smiled warmly, following his gaze. “You know… I really have always loved thunderstorms ever since I was a child… They always fascinated me.”

“That so? In what way, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“You're going to laugh… But lightning… We had a huge lightning rod in our yard when I was a child that would become charged with energy… Heh… I once dared Sebastian to touch it…”

“Oh my. What happened?”

Melinda grinned. “Oh… Let’s just say there’s a reason his hair will never be able to be tamed now.”

“I see.” Percival chuckled. “In my family, it just seems to be a common genetic trait among the men to have naturally messy hair. I try to keep mine pretty smooth but…” He pointed the wilder parts on the back of his head. “These just stick up no matter what I do.”

“I think your hair is very becoming. It suits you.” She chuckled. “What is your family like?”

Percival blushed a little before clearing his throat.

“My father is an inventor. He was the reason I took interest in science. Though unlike him, while he mainly wanted to focus on mechanics, I wanted to learn all I could about the world around me. I guess that could be partially blamed on my mother. She enjoys the arts and always loved showing me the beauty that could be found in it along with nature.”

Melinda smiled warmly. “They sound like wonderful people. Do bring them by sometime.”

“I’ll consider it.” Percival smiled. “What about your family?”

“My father was a librarian like I am. He’s mostly retired now due to age, but he still does private archiving for an associate of his. Mother, she enjoys reading about as much as I do along with just being outside. She studies plants and wildlife. Gardening is quite the hobby of hers.” And she’s also a witch but let’s not go there.

“I see. So a botanist and zoologist. Any animals in particular? Predators, prey?”

“Predators.” Melinda giggled a little. “She sometimes winds up having to run from them but she also fights back if she absolutely has to.”

“Sounds like a strong woman.”

“Oh yes. Always told me to hold my head high and to not be swayed easily by anyone.”

“Sounds like a good mother too.”

“Oh the best in the world…”

Percival smiled warmly. “She raised a good daughter.”

Melinda blushed a little, twirling one of the strands of her hair with her finger.

“Heh… You’re too kind, Mr. Higgsbury.”

Percival chuckled a little.

“As I’ve said, I do my best to be a gentlemen.”

She smiled softly. “And you do just fine.”

“Thank you, Ms. Wickerbottom.”

“Melinda.”

Percival got a surprised look.

“A-Are you sure? That’s… not exactly formal of me.”

Melinda smiled warmly giving a nod.

“I insist.”

“Very well.” Percival blushed a little. “Then… feel free to just call me Percival.”

“Percival…” Melinda grinned. “Perfection.”

Percival rubbed the back of his neck.

“I wouldn't call myself perfect. More like a man who’s a perpetual student to science… and the rest of life.”

“I think you’re quite interesting for a human-I mean man…”

“That so?”

She twirled her hair around her finger again.

“Y-Yes… I do… You're different.”

“I hope it’s a good kind of different.”

“The best kind of different. Besides… I’m no stranger to oddness.” She pointed to where Sebastian was. “I put up with him after all.”

“Proud of it!” Sebastian grinned.

“Heh…” Percival gave a gentle smile. “I’m honored then.”

Melinda giggled. “I should be the honored one..”

“Huh?”

“You want to spend time with me after all…”

“Well… you’re an interesting woman…Least… to me. You’re devoted to your work, you show great passion for this library and I find that admirable. And… I’d like to get to know you more…”

Melinda blushed a little. “If you want to take that chance…”

“I do.”

“Then… Would you like to come back again?”

“I’d love to.”

She smiled. “Tea?”

“Yes, please.”

She poured him another cup. “We could probably do this along with some other things whenever we get a chance.”

“It would be a nice way to relax after a long week of teaching students and working on theories with colleagues.”

“You're more than welcomed here then.”

“Thank you Ms. Wick-... Melinda.” Percival smiled.

Melinda giggled.

“You're very welcome… Percival.”

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

Dark Knowledge Cover.png

FF.net: Book of Shadows: Dark Knowledge Part 2

Dark Knowledge Part 2

“I’m telling you, it was something else, Robert.” Percival went on, pacing a bit around the lab. “I mean, I’ve seen people use ointments for cuts before but… this was more effective than anything I’ve seen anyone report.”

Robert chuckled, the young man tinkering with some equipment.

“If you say so, Percival. I’ll take your word for it.” Robert gave a smirk. “Though… You seem more fascinated with the librarian than the concoction she used on you. I mean, you’ve mentioned her before but I think this is the first of you mentioning actually speaking to her outside of library business matters.”

Percival raised an eyebrow.

“So?”

“Do tell, Percival, do you find her attractive by any chance?”

Percival turned a little red.

“R-Robert!”

“What? It’s an honest question. There’s nothing wrong with being attracted to someone. It’s normal. You of all people should know that.”

Percival sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“... Maybe… Just… I kind of hate myself for being attracted by appearances first… Though that part of her was enhanced when I saw her just being herself. She’s strong minded, confident… and as I found out as of yesterday, very kind… and intelligent…” He stopped as he saw the smirk on Robert’s face just get bigger before hanging his head. “... Okay, you got me.”

Robert gave a gentle look.

“Percival, might I suggest just trying to talk to her more?”

“What would I even say to her? I can’t just walk up to her and talk about the weather. She has a job to do in the library… And… I don’t know… I don’t want to come off as creepy…”

“I’m no expert on romance… and I honestly don’t know if I’m qualified to give advice since you’re both older than me and my superior… But… I’m not going to leave it as just talk to her. Ask her questions of things that interest her. Basically… just ask her what her favorite books are and then work from there. She’s a librarian. I’m sure that will get her attention… Also, who said you had to talk to her during library hours? Talk to her near closing time.”

“True… True…” Percival gave a confident look. “Okay, I’ll try that tomorrow during my next visit.”

“Sounds good… Now, as interesting as your love life is… Could I get some help with this device I’m working on? It’s giving me trouble again.”

Percival chuckled, sitting down with him.

“You’re really set on this supposed communication device, aren’t you?”

“Hey, I like the idea of being able to help others communicate better in regards to long distance.”

“And I think it's a wonderful idea. Just don’t forget about your other studies.”

“I won’t. What am I going to do, get a genie to grant my greatest wish?”

“Oh, if only life were that simple.” Percival shook his head. “Come on.”

oooooo

It was closing time. Melinda and Sebastian were hurrying about the library, making sure everything was still in order, shooing out people who were too caught up in their reading. It was routine and everything was going pretty well…

“GAH!” Sebastian pinched his nose shut. “What is that smell!?”

Melinda scowled a bit, sniffing the air.

“Looks like we got some smokers.” She hurried to the source, and sure enough, there were some young boys smoking pipes in one of the reading areas. “Hey! I don’t allow smoking in my library! I must ask you to leave.”

One of the boys looked up, scoffing at her.

“Oh? What are you gonna do, hag, slap us?”

“I ought to, but that’s more so your mother’s job. Now, I’m only going to ask one more time. LEAVE.”

Another boy smirked, blowing smoke in her face, getting a few coughs out of her.

“How about no?” He picked up a book, holding a match next to it. “And we’ll throw in our own threat. Ask us to leave again, and we torch the place.”

Melinda narrowed her eyes. “So, you're threatening to commit arson? Did I just hear you lads right?” She crossed her arms.

They nodded.

“We ain’t scared of some hag.”

“Oh yeah?” Sebastian walked up, standing beside her, cracking his knuckles. “What about dear old Sebby?”

They gulped, the leader holding the match, about to go and strike it.

“Sebastian, send them outside. And do direct them to the fountain out front.”

“Yes, Mel.” Sebastian moved towards them. “And honestly, you punks are a bunch of bloody idiots.” Sebastian picked up the leader, hauling him over his shoulder, picking up another in his free arm, and scooping up the rest in his cart. “It’s a rainy day. Fire wouldn’t do you much good.” Sebastian whistled a tune as he headed out. “Now, time to take out the rubbish.”

“Guh! PUT US DOWN YOU FREAK SHOW!” The leader started kicking at him. “PUT ME DOWN!!!”

“Mmmm nope.” Sebastian kept whistling, disappearing from Melinda’s sight.

Melinda sighed in relief, finishing the rest of her patrol around the library. The rest of the library seemed empty till she came back to her counter, surprised to see someone there… and none other than Percival who was looking around, seeming almost lost.

“Mr. Higgsbury?” She asked, curiosity coming to her eyes. “Can I help you with anything?”

Percival jumped a little, looking to her.

“O-Oh! Ms. Wickerbottom, there you are. I… Um…” He took a deep breath, relaxing himself. “I wanted to um… ask you about something… Though, before I ask that.” He pointed to the entrance. “What was with all that riff raff I just saw Sebastian throw into the fountain?”

Melinda sighed.

“They threatened to burn my library down if I asked them to leave again.”

Percival’s eyes widened.

“That’s… That’s just uncalled for! They should know better. For heaven’s sake it’s a LIBRARY. There’s important archives here, you can’t just… do something like that.”

Melinda sighed again. “They wanted to keep smoking in my library which I couldn’t allow.”

“Well... shame on them… I’m sorry that happened to you…”

“It’s taken care of.” Sebastian grinned, coming in, drying his hair off. “They’ll probably have colds for a week.” He looked to Percival. “And I see we have one last person. Do I need to toss him too?” He snickered.

“No!” Melinda snapped a little. “He’s fine!”

“Alright, alright.” Sebastian held up his hands, walking backwards away from them. “I’ll let you handle him and I’ll finish sweeping up.”

“Thank you, dear!” She turned to Percival, giving a sheepish look. “My apologies.”

“It’s quite alright, I know shouldn’t be here at closing hours… As I mentioned earlier I had a question for you.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “... Oh this is going to sound so stupid now… It’s really not that important…”

“No. If you came out here it is.” She gave a gentle look. “Please… I’d like to know.”

“Well…” Percival sighed. “I… I was wondering… What are your favorite things to read?” Guh! I must sound so stupid right now!

She smiled warmly. “I enjoy Shakespeare, he’s my favorite writer. I also enjoy the works of Mary Shelley.”

“That so?”

“Yes.” She grinned.

“I see…” Percival smiled, feeling himself relax. “Shakespeare, huh? Which one is your favorite?”

“A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream.” Melinda replied. “It’s such a beautiful play. I do love reading it over and over. The others are fantastic as well but I enjoy that one in particular. Have you got a favorite?”

“I admit, I haven’t read much of his work… But I did find Hamlet to be rather interesting.”

“Oh, it is very intriguing. A story of revenge if I had ever seen one, but it was beautiful in its own way as well. The way the characters developed, quite fascinating.”

“Indeed…” Percival found himself gazing a little.

Melinda smiled warmly, gazing a bit herself. “You certainly know your literature Mr. Higgsbury… I quite like that…”

“W-Well, I try to stay well educated and while scientific articles and educational reads are something I enjoy, I still find it important to still have recreational reading in order to relax after a long week of school work.”

“And it’s good to have your imagination opened up. It keeps the mind sharp…. And truly there is nothing quite like a well written book.”

“Agreed.”

She grinned. “Indeed.”

Things went quiet between them. Percival felt it growing slightly awkward, struggling to find anything else to say.

He cleared his throat, adjusting the collar of his shirt.

“Well, thank you for answering my question but I… I guess I better leave…”

Melinda frowned a little. “You don’t have to run off so fast.”

“Huh?” Percival had surprise come to his eyes.

“I like talking to you… I’d like to get to know you more…”

Percival perked up a bit, feeling his heartbeat a little faster.

“You would…?”

Melinda blushed a little, nodding quickly. “I would…”

“W-Well… if you insist.”

“Can I interest either of you in some tea?”

Both looked to see Sebastian had returned, holding a tray with a teapot and cups on it.

“It is rather cold outside today and well… I thought I’d make something nice and hot. I even made some scones and with the weather we’re having, I’m sure the second floor near the balcony would have a lovely view of the storm.”

Melinda smiled warmly, giving a nod. “Oh Sebastian, I would love that. That sounds marvelous doesn’t it, Mr. Higgsbury?”

Percival nodded, blushing a bit at the way she looked at him, such joy in her eyes.

“It does.”

“Come on then.” Sebastian waved a hand, leading them upstairs. “I’ll make sure the front doors are locked so we don’t get more riff raff.”

“Thank you, Sebastian.”

Once they were seated and had their tea poured, Sebastian hurried off to get his task done.

“I swear I’d be lost without him. He’s like a brother to me really.”

“He seems very loyal and while a bit mischievous, very attentive to his job.” Percival chuckled. “Even if he has almost run me over a few times with that cart of his. I’m surprised how fast he gets around with that thing with such near perfect control.”

Melinda giggled. “He’s been my assistant for years. He just finds his way around it and well, when you know the library as well as he does, you find ways to get around and make things interesting.” She took a sip of her tea, sighing in content. “And still remembers my favorite tea.”

“Earl grey… I couldn’t agree more.”

“Indeed.” She offered him a scone. “Do you like chocolate chip?”

“Who doesn’t like chocolate?” He chuckled, taking it. “Thank you.”

“Fools. Fools don’t like chocolate, hence them being fools.” Melinda smirked.

“Heh…” Percival looked out the window, watching the rain. “It really is coming down today. I’m glad I didn’t leave.”

“I am too.” Melinda smiled warmly, following his gaze. “You know… I really have always loved thunderstorms ever since I was a child… They always fascinated me.”

“That so? In what way, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“You're going to laugh… But lightning… We had a huge lightning rod in our yard when I was a child that would become charged with energy… Heh… I once dared Sebastian to touch it…”

“Oh my. What happened?”

Melinda grinned. “Oh… Let’s just say there’s a reason his hair will never be able to be tamed now.”

“I see.” Percival chuckled. “In my family, it just seems to be a common genetic trait among the men to have naturally messy hair. I try to keep mine pretty smooth but…” He pointed the wilder parts on the back of his head. “These just stick up no matter what I do.”

“I think your hair is very becoming. It suits you.” She chuckled. “What is your family like?”

Percival blushed a little before clearing his throat.

“My father is an inventor. He was the reason I took interest in science. Though unlike him, while he mainly wanted to focus on mechanics, I wanted to learn all I could about the world around me. I guess that could be partially blamed on my mother. She enjoys the arts and always loved showing me the beauty that could be found in it along with nature.”

Melinda smiled warmly. “They sound like wonderful people. Do bring them by sometime.”

“I’ll consider it.” Percival smiled. “What about your family?”

“My father was a librarian like I am. He’s mostly retired now due to age, but he still does private archiving for an associate of his. Mother, she enjoys reading about as much as I do along with just being outside. She studies plants and wildlife. Gardening is quite the hobby of hers.” And she’s also a witch but let’s not go there.

“I see. So a botanist and zoologist. Any animals in particular? Predators, prey?”

“Predators.” Melinda giggled a little. “She sometimes winds up having to run from them but she also fights back if she absolutely has to.”

“Sounds like a strong woman.”

“Oh yes. Always told me to hold my head high and to not be swayed easily by anyone.”

“Sounds like a good mother too.”

“Oh the best in the world…”

Percival smiled warmly. “She raised a good daughter.”

Melinda blushed a little, twirling one of the strands of her hair with her finger.

“Heh… You’re too kind, Mr. Higgsbury.”

Percival chuckled a little.

“As I’ve said, I do my best to be a gentlemen.”

She smiled softly. “And you do just fine.”

“Thank you, Ms. Wickerbottom.”

“Melinda.”

Percival got a surprised look.

“A-Are you sure? That’s… not exactly formal of me.”

Melinda smiled warmly giving a nod.

“I insist.”

“Very well.” Percival blushed a little. “Then… feel free to just call me Percival.”

“Percival…” Melinda grinned. “Perfection.”

Percival rubbed the back of his neck.

“I wouldn't call myself perfect. More like a man who’s a perpetual student to science… and the rest of life.”

“I think you’re quite interesting for a human-I mean man…”

“That so?”

She twirled her hair around her finger again.

“Y-Yes… I do… You're different.”

“I hope it’s a good kind of different.”

“The best kind of different. Besides… I’m no stranger to oddness.” She pointed to where Sebastian was. “I put up with him after all.”

“Proud of it!” Sebastian grinned.

“Heh…” Percival gave a gentle smile. “I’m honored then.”

Melinda giggled. “I should be the honored one..”

“Huh?”

“You want to spend time with me after all…”

“Well… you’re an interesting woman…Least… to me. You’re devoted to your work, you show great passion for this library and I find that admirable. And… I’d like to get to know you more…”

Melinda blushed a little. “If you want to take that chance…”

“I do.”

“Then… Would you like to come back again?”

“I’d love to.”

She smiled. “Tea?”

“Yes, please.”

She poured him another cup. “We could probably do this along with some other things whenever we get a chance.”

“It would be a nice way to relax after a long week of teaching students and working on theories with colleagues.”

“You're more than welcomed here then.”

“Thank you Ms. Wick-... Melinda.” Percival smiled.

Melinda giggled.

“You're very welcome… Percival.”

awwwwwww i love the pic X3 it's so sweet <3

• Like 1