Tool:CanDoAction weirdness

Hi,

is this really normal that say, equippeditem.components.tool:CanDoAction(action) returns true  when say holding a torch (equippeditem) & picking a sapling (ACTION.PICK)

I mean sure the character can do that but he's not actually using the tool to do the action, beside the torch isn't even a tool to begin with.....
the code :

Spoiler

local function FindTool(inventory, action)
	local alreadyequippeditem = inventory:GetEquippedItem(EQUIPSLOTS.HANDS) -- get what's in our hands
	-- escape finding another item if item equipped can already do the job and exists (e.g. it's not bare hands)
	if alreadyequippeditem and alreadyequippeditem.components.tool and alreadyequippeditem.components.tool:CanDoAction(action) then return end 
	return inventory:FindItem(function(item)
		return item.components.tool and item.components.tool:CanDoAction(action)
	end)
end

so this works perfectly mind you, so it's not like I'm asking for any real help to fix something, but I would still like to understand though.

If for any reason I remove the "alreadyequippeditem.components.tool" check then a torch or weapon will : return true to "alreadyequippeditem" check (as expected, since they are not nil) and will also return true to "alreadyequippeditem.components.tool:CanDoAction(action)" check (not expected, since the component tool doesn't even exist I would have expected an error instead).

nevermind my mistake, it does produce an error, but it doesn't crash the game, and the mod scripts just continue working

which makes it behave as if the conditions were true, when in fact the whole checking & "escape" was just skipped.

the code & error :

Spoiler

if alreadyequippeditem and alreadyequippeditem.components.tool:CanDoAction(action) then return end 

../mods/auto_equip/scripts/auto_equip.lua:43: attempt to index field 'tool' (a nil value)

again, emphasis how this is treacherous, it just skips the condition & continue code execution, with the mod in question behaving normally apart from a few cases concerned by this.

note how : "and alreadyequippeditem.components.tool" is missing unlike my first post.

Thanks Mobbstar, I'm happy to have found a reasonable explanation to this. xD (posting my findings for future potential readers ;) )

Basically my main error was to not check the logs or console, too used to almost all lua errors just crashing outright DS

Archived