PC Split Screen

I was wondering if anyone knows of plans to bring split screen to the PC version of Don't Starve Together? I have a PS4 and already own DS+RoG, but I've kind of hit my limit on DS related purchases. Here are the versions I've purchased (in chronological order):

1) DS+RoG for PS4.

2) DS+RoG for PC (for myself)

3) DS Pocket Edition for iOS (for my wife)

3) SW DLC for PC (for myself).

4) Don't Starve Together for PC (2 license bundle, one for me and one for my daughter).

5) DS+RoG+SW for PC (for my daughter).

6) DS+RoG for Android (for myself)

With split screen coming to the PS4 version, it only seems right to include it in the PC version too. I suppose not many people play split-screen on PC, but I use a Steam Link and it would be great to all be able to play together on the couch.

To tell you the truth I don't know but spilt screen coming to PS4 sounds awesome since I always enjoyed local mutiplayier. But my guess is its not going to happen for the reason that it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a console it makes sense people have done local on them before and its a console a lot more chance that people who live in the same house have a console and muti controllers so no hassle just sit and play. 

However unless you had a link like a cable long corded controllers it seems like it woud not happen. Because the common person does not have access to that though long before DST someone did make a mode for co-op DS play I don't know if the mod is still up and running but it in the future might be modded into the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172291214

Funny that I came to this forum to ask about this specifically, and this is the top post.

I think a greater number of people would like this on PC than you might realize. Most people have an Xbox Controller or two lying around, or some sort of other controller compatible with PC. And these days there's a lot of super simple ways to connect your PC/laptop to your TV if you want (HDMI cord, Steam link, etc.) And couch co-op has become increasingly common on indie Steam games in recent years. There's definitely a market for it. It would be something else to boast about on the store page too, for prospective buyers.

Personally I'd really enjoy this being added as a feature (and it shouldn't be TOO hard since it's already implemented on PS4 as we speak). You see, I have this fantasy of being cuddled up on the couch by the fireplace with my girlfriend, playing split-screen DST on my laptop on a cold December night. I think that would be a really beautiful and nostalgic experience that I'd cherish forever, you know?

Klei, please make my dreams come true!

Please Klei give us a statement if the PC split screen feature will come.

On steam there is a thread called "Plans for local co-op?" with over 120 posts from people asking for PC splitscreen. I know that on Facebook, Klei said "It's on our radar", but that was way before the PS4 release. It's been some time and I am wondering if this will come to PC at all, and if so, when.

The fact is, LAN IS a preference, and so is online multiplayer. They both have their uses too:

LAN for people who have more than 1 computer AND have BOTH bought the game. (Despite so many people claiming this is so simple, ask any of the above posters who have kids or girlfriends that want to play together. There's no denying it is unreasonable to have these requirements to play together under the same roof.)

Online multiplayer to play with those who are far away from you.

Listen, PCs are becoming more like consoles than ever, with controller support and a TV, any PC can basically become your own fully customizable console. And this is the beauty in PC gaming. I don't have to swear allegiance to Microsoft or Sony and have what they want imposed on my hardware. 

Any true PC gamer thinking about the future of PC gaming should fully advocate local co-op as a feature for this DST among other games. 

TL;DR just wanna play games with my GF on PC while actually being in the same room.

As a parent, it's not feasible for me to buy a computer for every child, plus a separate copy of the game for each child. And if they have friends over, I don't expect their friends to bring a computer with them.

We have controllers, we have a large TV and plenty of HDMI cables to connect our PC to the TV. All we need is for the developers to give us the same options they gave to consoles. Local co-op.

• Developer
6 hours ago, Sebakan said:

Don't waste your time dudes, devs don't care about PC gamers. They only used the PC as a cheap platform to get attention from the console gamers.

We have a thread since two years now on steam forums and never had a response from the devs.

You can check it here:: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/discussions/0/611698195169059053/?ctp=9

I don't think the devs are very active on the Steam forums, to be honest.

Klei cares equally about every part of their community. Plus, they started their games with PC gamers, why would they care more about console gamers? 

Because the PC version is out a long time, while the PS4 version is relatively new - more growth to be expected from PS4. Therefore, any changes that benefit both PC and PS4 are more profitable then changes to the PC version only.  The additional work done to make splitscreen work on PC is PC only work... least profitable from that point of view.

I want to play with my gf on one screen on PC (we both already have dont starve together for pc already). Why? Because we want to chill on the couch together.

I'd just wish Klei could tell us if and when this feature will come. I'm checking every update... stopped playing till split screen / couch coop comes to PC.

Did any of you guys actually contact Klei directly about this? They were great and got back to me within 24 hours:

----------------------------------
General Contact
Subject: DST - Couch co-op on PC
NOV 09, 2016  |  06:06PM PST
JanH replied:

Hey there Tom,

My name is Jan and I help with inquiries and support requests at Klei; thank you for checking in with us.

We are interested in seeing if we can bring splitscreen to the PC as more people have computers or Steam boxes in their living rooms. We are currently working on some other things right now including the “A New Reign” 6-months of free additional content for Don’t Starve Together as well as some other things, but down the road we may be able to investigate the possibility of adding it.

Thanks again for reaching out to us; from your friends at Klei,

- Jan
-----------------------------

So maybe there is hope yet?

I am waiting to buy this game on PC until split-screen becomes available. I have been following a thread on steam forums for a long time, hoping against hope whenever I see a new post that it will tell me the feature has finally been added. I love local co-op and really enjoyed How to Survive. Can't wait to eventually try this one!

14 hours ago, Kalibur said:

Did any of you guys actually contact Klei directly about this? They were great and got back to me within 24 hours:

----------------------------------
General Contact
Subject: DST - Couch co-op on PC
NOV 09, 2016  |  06:06PM PST
JanH replied:

Hey there Tom,

My name is Jan and I help with inquiries and support requests at Klei; thank you for checking in with us.

We are interested in seeing if we can bring splitscreen to the PC as more people have computers or Steam boxes in their living rooms. We are currently working on some other things right now including the “A New Reign” 6-months of free additional content for Don’t Starve Together as well as some other things, but down the road we may be able to investigate the possibility of adding it.

Thanks again for reaching out to us; from your friends at Klei,

- Jan
-----------------------------

So maybe there is hope yet?

How did you contact Klei directly? Also I'm glad to see that they are considering it, but 6 months is a long time. I was hoping for it to come out sooner, especially considering how many people clearly want it!

Do you think we could do anything to convince them to prioritize it sooner? I'd be overjoyed if they released a PC splitscreen update by mid-January.

17 hours ago, SqueeMaster said:

but down the road we may be able to investigate the possibility of adding it.

This sentence actually means...

somewhere in the future... we may think about thinking about it!

This basically says that its not even on the TODO list.

Which can be translated as it won't happen because once we would get "thinking about thinking about it"... we already moved on to another project thats more profitable.

This is so disappointing.

PC players again are second class citizens...

• Developer
1 minute ago, GorBon said:

Which can be translated as it won't happen

Don't Starve Together was a "possibility" of being made.

Don't Starve DLCs were a "possibility" of being made.

Merchandise like T-shirts and plushies were a "possibility" of being made.

It doesn't mean it won't happen, it means "right now we are busy, so ask us again later".

Don't Starve Together certainly was on their todo list. Same for the DLC's. If something, that should be fairly obvious - such as having the same features on PS4 and PC - is not on the todo list... its pretty low priority which means the likelihood of it happening is very low.

This is not the question of a DLC, its about adding a feature from one platform to the other one. Clearly, PS4 is their growing platform now, thats why they don't bother with adding splitscreen to PC...

Thats even more of a shock considering its a reality for PS4, so it should at least be on their todo list for PC. But its not even there... meaning they think its a waste of time. Otherwise, it would already be an priority. I mean, come on, they added the code to their PS4 version, which would be the perfect and obvious choice to add it to PC too, and if not at the start of the PS4 version, then once they've successfully started PS4 sales. But thats been a few months now, and it has ZERO priority. It won't come unless the community presses them to.

Thats a FACT now.

All I wanted to do is play on the same screen with my gf, thats not gonna happen, so this game is useless for me. I won't even consider buying a ps4 and this game again, so I can couch-play... If Klei thinks thats what we gonna do, think again...

• Developer
20 minutes ago, GorBon said:

Don't Starve Together certainly was on their todo list.

It wasn't. A long time ago Klei even locked threads regarding Multiplayer because people were constantly asking Klei for it and it was far from Klei's plan of doing it, and they kept saying that.

After DS was mostly finished, with RoG done and all, they had more time and decided to answer peoples' pleas and make DST.

.There even used to be an emoticon on the forums that said "NO MULTIPLAYER".

21 minutes ago, GorBon said:

Same for the DLC's.

I can't say for sure regarding these ones, but I don't think a DLC crossed Klei's mind until after DS was out of BETA and fully released.

22 minutes ago, GorBon said:

Clearly, PS4 is their growing platform now, thats why they don't bother with adding splitscreen to PC...

No, it's because they're busy working on a free DLC for the PC version and would rather focus on it before doing other things.

23 minutes ago, GorBon said:

It won't come unless the community presses them to.

That is not necessarily true, but as I've said, ask Klei again for it once they're done working on A New Reign (or a month/few weeks before that).

24 minutes ago, GorBon said:

thats not gonna happen, so this game is useless for me. I won't even consider buying a ps4 and this game again, so I can couch-play... If Klei thinks thats what we gonna do, think again...

Believe me when I say Klei is not like that. They're just a very small company with lots of things on their hands right now. Two games and a free DLC, not counting the Shipwrecked bugs they're sorting for PC and consoles and the Android version of DS. Klei will probably make a split-screen for PC, you just have to wait and ask them again later :)

@ImDaMisterL

Well thanks for the background information, you certainly know more about the history of don't starve then me.

Still, if splitscreen is gonna happen people need to ask for it again and again just like with multiplayer.

So I hope everyone who wants this feature keeps pushing Klei...

I've wanted Don't Starve Splitescreen Co-Op or any OFFICIAL Local Co-Op options for a long time, I can wait a bit longer. It's just good to know they're at least considering it, I feel progress has been made.

PC gamers don't all live alone and game alone, we have couch parties it's mainstream now, and Don't Starve Together just FEELS like it should be a couch party game. Can you imagine all the shenanigans! Shenanigans!

On 10/12/2016 at 1:50 AM, DSFan111 said:

I think a greater number of people would like this on PC than you might realize. Most people have an Xbox Controller or two lying around, or some sort of other controller compatible with PC. And these days there's a lot of super simple ways to connect your PC/laptop to your TV if you want (HDMI cord, Steam link, etc.) And couch co-op has become increasingly common on indie Steam games in recent years. There's definitely a market for it. It would be something else to boast about on the store page too, for prospective buyers.[

Personally I'd really enjoy this being added as a feature (and it shouldn't be TOO hard since it's already implemented on PS4 as we speak). You see, I have this fantasy of being cuddled up on the couch by the fireplace with my girlfriend, playing split-screen DST on my laptop on a cold December night. I think that would be a really beautiful and nostalgic experience that I'd cherish forever, you know?

Klei, please make my dreams come true!

Not to mention anyone can just pick up a controller at their local superstore or order one online, it's easy to use wireless, extension cables for every type of controller and port can be ordered offline, and even without TV screens most people have computer monitors big enough to play party games on.

I know my standard Mid Range PC Gamer monitor made for 1080p resolutions is perfectly suitable for split screen party games because I've played Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed and MegaByte punch with other players on it. I don't even HAVE to take the party to my living room, I just do because bigger screens are more fun to play on.

Y'all better realize that Klei's team that's working on DST is actually pretty small. Currently they're working on adding new stuff to the game (A New Reign). They have all their people working on it just to keep up with the 2-week timeframe that's between every update. I'd say we should wait for Klei's DST team to be done with A New Reign, and THEN you can email them about it. I'm sure they will be putting it on their To-Do List since ALOT of people (including me) want Splitscreen. I have 3 controllers at home, a giant flat TV and 3 friends I'd like to introduce DS to. I can't just buy them all the game. Soooooo i'll just be sitting here, playing DST with people I don't know in person, waiting for ANR to be done...

Archived