No, not the webbed mushrooms in the caves, different concept here.

The Idea

To allow spiders that have been in an area for a while to start webbing trees. Webbed trees gain the ability to have web stretched between them, which if run into, will lower the player's sanity and slow them down temporarily (the stretched web would be destroyed after being run through). This (should) stack and refresh the duration with each web run through.

Actual webbing would be a new function for spiders from larger (i.e. non tier-1) spider dens OR even be a new thing that "orphaned" spiders do when they aren't sleeping.

Running through webbing will NOT give silk, only chopping down one of the trees it is connecting to will break it into a piece of usable silk.

The Purpose

To encourage maintenance of your world while also making it substantially more dangerous if left unchecked.

Concept Variations (not all meant to be used at once, just additional things for the idea)

Instead of slowing, running through webbing could make the player pause for a second or two to remove it from themselves (Webber would be immune naturally)

Webbed Trees could drop spiders when chopped down.

Webbed Trees could summon a spider when being chopped. (Spider spawn would be put on a cooldown to prevent fighting more than one per tree)

Webbed Trees could randomly spawn webs in between each other instead of requiring a spider

Web between trees can be of various thickness (stack count) for areas ignored too long. (tiered webbed trees)

"Orphaned" spiders would be more likely to start webbing trees (and maybe move into them afterward?)

Webbed trees could be a bit more flame resistant than normal and totally normal trees.

Spiked trees cannot be webbed.

Additional Thoughts

This might be used in PvP servers as a new form of trap. This could also be a new item for world gen.

Concept is cool, but the intention of it... sorry, but no. Rather to just destroy all of the dens and leave just a few not too far from base alive to farm silk. The workaround is there, so, it's best to have the spiders not overpopulate and create a problem. But your concept of spiders tying up trees is something I thought about before as well, so I'm in full support of that. Trees tying up one another, however... we already know how spreading becomes an issue with fire, so, better not.

8 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Concept is cool, but the intention of it... sorry, but no. Rather to just destroy all of the dens and leave just a few not too far from base alive to farm silk. The workaround is there, so, it's best to have the spiders not overpopulate and create a problem. But your concept of spiders tying up trees is something I thought about before as well, so I'm in full support of that. Trees tying up one another, however... we already know how spreading becomes an issue with fire, so, better not.

Please do actually read the entire idea before you comment. This is NOT something meant for silk farming. I mean, I even put a separate section specifically stating what the intention was.

EDIT: And the variation of the trees spreading webbing to each other without a spider was an alternate idea that would function like the spider nest expanding, a slow process that would happen over the span of a few in-game days, not as soon as you take your eye off it. It is but one of the many roads the idea could take should it ever be green-lighted for implementation.

2 hours ago, Quyzbuk said:

Please do actually read the entire idea before you comment. This is NOT something meant for silk farming. I mean, I even put a separate section specifically stating what the intention was.

EDIT: And the variation of the trees spreading webbing to each other without a spider was an alternate idea that would function like the spider nest expanding, a slow process that would happen over the span of a few in-game days, not as soon as you take your eye off it. It is but one of the many roads the idea could take should it ever be green-lighted for implementation.

I did read the whole thing. And yes, I am aware of your intention. But this could potentially be very, very bad, like laggy bad. People would have to worry about spiders even more so than they do now, which... they don't worry about, actually. A lot of the time, spiders are left to populate a whole biome and then bad things happen :( sometimes to a point of lag.

Archived