DST Adventure Mode : Yes or no?

DST Adventure Mode : Yes or no?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should DST Adventure mode of some sort be a thing?

• That would be a cool idea
    • Naw, I think DST is better without it
    • It would be too hard to implement / How would that be implemented?

Honestly, are the difficulties concerning its implementation worth it? I mean, people ALREADY can have adventure mode on their own now. I go into the world, stop the counter, add spawned setpieces, even forts of marble and thulecite inhabited by splumonkeys, and when the stage is set, I turn the counter on again and just start GM-ing.

That's cool but it's...not the same as Adventure Mode.  I'm talking about a multi-chapter, increasingly difficult quest to find Charlie, probably involving putting together the Wooden Thing multiple times, and probably accessed through some kind of door so it's a seperate world to the rest of DST...as I assume most of the other people here meant? Or something similar anyway. 

Maybe some people want it in the same world, maybe some would want different numbers of chapters from others, but role playing in a customised world with fancy setpieces Adventure Mode.  If it doesn't involve increased difficulty and something about finding the boss and freeing them, it's not the same thing.

And yes, it would be very, very difficult to implement...which is why I assume it's _way_ far off on the horizon if anywhere at all.  STILL, it's way too cool of an idea to just give up on.  And obviously, multiple people think it WOULD be worth it.  

...someday.

...Notorious

37 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

That's cool but it's...not the same as Adventure Mode.  I'm talking about a multi-chapter, increasingly difficult quest to find Charlie, probably involving putting together the Wooden Thing multiple times, and probably accessed through some kind of door so it's a seperate world to the rest of DST...as I assume most of the other people here meant? Or something similar anyway. 

Maybe some people want it in the same world, maybe some would want different numbers of chapters from others, but role playing in a customised world with fancy setpieces Adventure Mode.  If it doesn't involve increased difficulty and something about finding the boss and freeing them, it's not the same thing.

And yes, it would be very, very difficult to implement...which is why I assume it's _way_ far off on the horizon if anywhere at all.  STILL, it's way too cool of an idea to just give up on.  And obviously, multiple people think it WOULD be worth it.  

...someday.

...Notorious

Who told you the world isn't more hostile :cheekychris:?

And yeah, it's different. The closest we can have to adventure mode without playing DS. Still, there's incredibly much we can do when it comes to modding the game. I've seen bunnymen taking care of camps (@Joachim, I haven't told you you're a genius today, this must be remedied). This is just an example. If it's possible to create scenarios in DS, I think it can be replicated in DST. That's just moot, of course, since my modding skills for DST can fit a pocket watch (and that's a generous way of saying it), but my point is: while an official adventure mode may never make it to the game, we ourselves can create something along its likes.

On 8/27/2016 at 7:02 PM, Arlesienne said:

Who told you the world isn't more hostile :cheekychris:?

And yeah, it's different. The closest we can have to adventure mode without playing DS. Still, there's incredibly much we can do when it comes to modding the game. I've seen bunnymen taking care of camps (@Joachim, I haven't told you you're a genius today, this must be remedied). This is just an example. If it's possible to create scenarios in DS, I think it can be replicated in DST. That's just moot, of course, since my modding skills for DST can fit a pocket watch (and that's a generous way of saying it), but my point is: while an official adventure mode may never make it to the game, we ourselves can create something along its likes.

Haha. Well, I study AI, so creating semi-autonomous agents is kind of my thing. I think we can introduce more adventure in DST by creating intelligent enemies that are by their nature unpredictable. The more autonomy they get, the more unpredictable (and therefore interesting and challenging) they become. I am talking about enemies that can actively hunt for players.

No, this is nothing like walruses. Walruses do not actively hunt for players, but just happen to have a larger wander radius and only attack players when they are in sight.

I am talking about agents that strategize, expand and attack you when you least expect it.

1 hour ago, Joachim said:

Haha. Well, I study AI, so creating semi-autonomous agents is kind of my thing. I think we can introduce more adventure in DST by creating intelligent enemies that are by their nature unpredictable. The more autonomy they get, the more unpredictable (and therefore interesting and challenging) they become. I am talking about enemies that can actively hunt for players.

No, this is nothing like walruses. Walruses do not actively hunt for players, but just happen to have a larger wander radius and only attack players when they are in sight.

I am talking about agents that strategize, expand and attack you when you least expect it.

Exactly! Like Jeeves the helpful bunnyman that's already a thing in Multi-Worlds or the primate civilisation I told you about. Having enemies who are really intelligent makes for a much more engaging experience. The walruses are the closest to this DST has at the moment, but they're nowhere what we're talking about here. Still, the basic concept of having strongly "civilised" foes (the fact MacTusk Senior uses real clothes and weapons as opposed to guardian pigs, that he "commands" his son and the hounds, the sheer creepiness of technically visiting for - blood - sport) is there. And if we can make mobs do most if not everything players can at the moment, well, I think it's brilliant.

PS Many thanks for defending my concept of poisoning beargers. One person who doesn't call it out as a weakling's technique.

Sadly, it is true. An adventure mode, especially in the near future, will not be created due to all the extra stuff that Klei is trying to add into DST along with other games that they are making. The closest we could get is with many people on forums to band together and create their own mod. I can't mod (never tried it), but I can help add ideas. Nonetheless, we would need people with advanced modding skills to add this in.

To add in my own idea for a modded adventure mode for DST, there should be settings for how approximately how many players the owner will think will participate in the adventure mode. Furthermore, it should be a "mode" you pick when you generate the world, like endless or survival. It should be multi-world of course, and would take a lot of effort, requiring multiple people who know how to mod.  

14 minutes ago, QooQoo said:

Sadly, it is true. An adventure mode, especially in the near future, will not be created due to all the extra stuff that Klei is trying to add into DST along with other games that they are making. The closest we could get is with many people on forums to band together and create their own mod. I can't mod (never tried it), but I can help add ideas. Nonetheless, we would need people with advanced modding skills to add this in.

To add in my own idea for a modded adventure mode for DST, there should be settings for how approximately how many players the owner will think will participate in the adventure mode. Furthermore, it should be a "mode" you pick when you generate the world, like endless or survival. It should be multi-world of course, and would take a lot of effort, requiring multiple people who know how to mod.  

Hey now... Do you really think that "A New Reign" isn't going to lead up to a grand finale? If we know Klei.... we know they like to go out a bang. and the new poster said 'the stage is being set' SET FOR WHAT?!?!?!?!? dst go get charlie boiz

33 minutes ago, QooQoo said:

*COUGH* @Joachim *COUGH*

25 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Hey now... Do you really think that "A New Reign" isn't going to lead up to a grand finale? If we know Klei.... we know they like to go out a bang. and the new poster said 'the stage is being set' SET FOR WHAT?!?!?!?!? dst go get charlie boiz

But going out with a bang implies an end. And that's not what we'd like, is it?

On 26/08/2016 at 4:06 AM, QooQoo said:

Do you think there should be a different adventure mode for DST (Or an adventure mode at all)? I personally think there should be a new game mode for worlds called "adventure", with a whole new story and levels, featuring Charlie maybe? Everyone would have to work together to survive the worlds to beat adventure mode.

What do you guys think?

Exactly! I've had this idea ever since the A New Reign trailer came out. Me and a friend (who am I kidding, almost everyone) have trouble doing Adventure Mode by themselves. However if we could play Adventure Together (what what I like to call it :) ) then maybe we can beat it without giving up and simply watching the end -_- even if Klei made it harder with 2 people rather than one (I think 2 should be the limit but I'm not sure how that'd work in a server with 3 or more people :/ )

4 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

There isn't a party like a DST (adventuring) party as a DST party ends when Wes is dead and we ran out of balloons.

Honestly, I adore the name. It should be called this!

I second that.

Oh, defniitely.

And as fun/interesting as some of these mod/scenario ideas sound...these would just be AN adventure.  Adventure Mode with capital letters in Don't Starve involves a quest, tons of awesome new tantalizing bits of lore, and unlocking a character (in this case Charlie).  It'd pretty much HAVE to be done by Klei themselves (eventually!) 'cos lore done by a fan is, well, fanfic.  No matter how well done.

That being said, I certainly don't have anything _against_ trying some of these things you're talking about--but if I just want to have adventure in Don't Starve in _general_, I can just...play Don't Starve.  It's plenty adventurous enough in THAT sense already!  : P

Sounds fun but doesn't actually _replace_ the main thing, is what I'm saying. Willing to try out role-playing adventure in the game, but that is NOT the same as Adventure Mode, which I'm still holding out will SOMEday, years and years in the future, be a thing.  Ah, but they've definitively said they will never do that, you say?

They said the same thing about multiplayer and look at what forum we're in! :p

...Notorious

I'm a little (very) late to the party, but I'm in the "it would be hard to implement/how would that be implemented" boat.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but remember how many hoops and hurdles Klei had to go through in order to make caves work in DST? In Singleplayer it's 3 caves, each with their own ruins. Unrealistic to perform on a server, and I understand their changes... But now to say: "How about Adventure Mode? It's just 5 worlds chained together with world hopping," a mechanic not present even in DST for good reason. It would certainly be enjoyable, but at this point it's an unrealistic dream. Currently there are too many fundamental problems with Adventure Mode and DST for this to work. People have touched on a lot of these concerns, but here's a small recap with maybe a few extra points of my own:

It's hard enough to get a crew together to play on a server with play sessions of 1-2 hours, let alone trying to tackle something like Adventure Mode. Would people be able to come and go as they please? Should leaving be punishable? As we all know, the ultimate survival tactic in DST is logging out... If you aren't there, you can't be hurt, and thus can't starve. When going between worlds, does it suck up everyone and port them into the next world? What happens to the people that leave the server when it is currently lets say World 2, and the rest of the server goes over to World 3? Will they be able to rejoin? Will they be in World 2 or 3? Would they even have their belongings anymore? What happens to players who run out of RAM (Actually happened to me a few times while playing DST) while playing, are they kicked out of the Adventure Mode run entirely? What happens when someone dies, do they stay there, can they be left behind, are they kicked off said server, or does everyone get kicked out because of one person's death? Currently after unlocking Wes, it is only useful for changing characters in a world, so what kind of replay-ability would Adventure Mode have if any? In Singleplayer you get the chance to unlock both Maxwell and Wes, but in DST where all characters are already unlocked, what kind of reward would you get for completion? I don't think fans would settle for an "achievement" and Klei isn't into that kind of thing either. Do you remember the Accomploshrine? If it doesn't ring a bell, I don't blame you, as the item was only added because Sony required achievements for the PS4 version of the game.

These questions and concerns have no clear or easy answers, and each of these variables need to be considered. This isn't a matter of porting data from A to B. It's networking, accessibility, balance, and many other things.

Archived