Shadow Creatures in Ruins HELP!

Hey guys, I've been trying to grind these ruins for a couple days now to get all of its tasty loot but I'm currently finding it absolutely impossible to kill this ancient guardian... why? Because I'm not sure if my game is bugged or not. I'm getting 4-5 shadow creatures on me at All Times..at all times throughout the nightmare phase. I've tried everything. when the cycle ends I even try to kill them but they just keep coming back and there are too many to actually kite. What's the deal here? It's wasting my time and making me not want to play :(((

I'm in the same boat, quite new to the ruins and terrified of dying. I've seen youtubers try to live in the ruins and have 3 terrorbeaks and a shadow monster chase them for a while. There is one more cycle after the nightmare phase called the Dawn phase that keeps the 4-5 shadow creatures, you should keep running for another 15-45 seconds. Then they will disappear after that.

I'll bring a stack of cooked green caps for sanity. I'll bring a stack of dragonpies for hunger/health (meatless so bunnies in caves don't attack). But the challenge for me is the trade offs between using backpack vs armor. I know I could always drop the backpack and switch on the armor but sometimes I forget and don't pay attention to my health even when I have healing salves on me. The trade off between moggles vs miners hat vs helmet. If I use helmet then I won't have a light source other than bringing a lantern, then I won't have a weapon in my hand if I use a lantern. I did the lantern glitch for the entrance of the ruins but I know I can't keep using that for the whole entire ruins. I know I will have to recruit 4-5 rock lobsters once I find the ancient guardian. I just want to make the houndius shootius then eventually do everything else that the ruins has to offer at the ancient statues. Would love some more tips to make the ruins easier.

1. Shadow Creatures Die when the Dawn Phase ends. There are 4 phases and 2 of them have shadow creatures spawning. After the Nightmare Phase it's the Dawn Phase. I think you're confusing the Dawn Phase with the Calm Phase. During the Dawn Phase shadow creatures will spawn like crazy, same as the Nightmare Phase. So just keep running and running and running and once the Calm Phase hits you'll be loaded with a ton of nightmare fuel.

2. Ancient Guardian is easy. i killed him with 1 Hambat, 5 Log Suits, and 3 Football Helmets (I think I only needed 2) as WENDY, so other characters probably need less. Build the football helmet and logsuits before the fight. The materials only take up 4 inventory space. I just whacked it til it died, no special kiting stuff. Man fight..

3. As for sanity, I just brought a ton of jerkies, sanity was no problem. If you want to stay in the ruins Long Term, build a completely walled in bunny hutch, befriend the Bunnyman with a carrot, and just stand next to him for 25sanity/min while he tries to walk through the walls.

4. Bring a Bush Hat. When it's the nightmare and dawn phases, pop it on and just wait until it is over. Just make sure you have enough light to wait it out. Shadow creatures won't attack you if you turn into a bush before they spot you.

Finally went down to the ruins today. Looked around for a bit and found the area with lots of ornate chests fairly quickly, mostly low percentage log suits/helmets and spears (didn't take) --- a couple nightmare fuel, a few thulecite and fragments (took). Dodged some dwelling spiders. Then found the ancient guardian. Dodged his attacks, waiting for my rock lobsters to catch up, only two came to my area. Got them to kill the ancient guardian, took the meat and the horn. The large ornate chest was JACKPOT. Got the thulecite club, thulecite crown, thulecite suit, 5 green gems (amazing) and some thulecite and fragments and a log suit (didn't take). Inventory was full, left my log suit in the large ornate. So excited for the thulecite items and the green gems so I can make the deconstruction staff and/or construction amulet (either for the pan flute or thulecite items).

Fought one terrorbeak, got hit once or twice when it re-spawned right next to me. I'm used to dodge and attack, I should have just attacked when it did that. Killed it, took the nightmare fuel. I agree with someonenoone11, there is so much nightmare fuel laying around in the ruins. I left the loot at the cave entrance. Need to go back to base for one of my deerclops eyeball, then go back down with all the stuff I need for houndius shootius and find an ancient psuedoscience station to make it. Pretty sweet loot for my first ruins experience.

On 10/7/2016 at 1:49 AM, someonenoone11 said:

1. Shadow Creatures Die when the Dawn Phase ends. There are 4 phases and 2 of them have shadow creatures spawning. After the Nightmare Phase it's the Dawn Phase. I think you're confusing the Dawn Phase with the Calm Phase. During the Dawn Phase shadow creatures will spawn like crazy, same as the Nightmare Phase. So just keep running and running and running and once the Calm Phase hits you'll be loaded with a ton of nightmare fuel.

2. Ancient Guardian is easy. i killed him with 1 Hambat, 5 Log Suits, and 3 Football Helmets (I think I only needed 2) as WENDY, so other characters probably need less. Build the football helmet and logsuits before the fight. The materials only take up 4 inventory space. I just whacked it til it died, no special kiting stuff. Man fight..

3. As for sanity, I just brought a ton of jerkies, sanity was no problem. If you want to stay in the ruins Long Term, build a completely walled in bunny hutch, befriend the Bunnyman with a carrot, and just stand next to him for 25sanity/min while he tries to walk through the walls.

4. Bring a Bush Hat. When it's the nightmare and dawn phases, pop it on and just wait until it is over. Just make sure you have enough light to wait it out. Shadow creatures won't attack you if you turn into a bush before they spot you.

The ancient guardian is NOT EASY, AND AS WENDY?!?! How did you do that? (do not think i am trying to offend you)

On 23.10.2016 at 3:15 AM, Superchicken64 said:

The ancient guardian is NOT EASY, AND AS WENDY?!?! How did you do that? (do not think i am trying to offend you)

Tanking is magic. Don't take it as a serious, best way of dealing with bosses, but it works on some of them if you're bad at kiting/using other stuff as advantages. If you have hambat, enough armor pieces and enough healing food - you're set.

On 10/22/2016 at 6:15 PM, Superchicken64 said:

I told you. 1 Hambat, 5 Log suits, and 3 Football Helmets. I just whacked it til it died. No kiting. just stand still, take everything he dishes out, and whack him til he dies. I didn't even heal. I think i had 1 unused logsuit and 1 unused football helmet when he fell, so it will take less than that.

Archived