Survive the Shadows - Story

11 minutes ago, Aileen-Rose said:

Conversation page 20.png

(Jumping with her hands upwards): "I know, I know, I know!"

Aileen-Rose raises her eyebrow.

(Clearing her throat politely): "It's to keep the going! Narrative fuel! You're not useful when you're dead*."

*Actually, you are. At least I see no point in considering a dead character useless.

• Like 1

LitS The New Reign.png

FF.net: Light in the Shadows: The New Reign

The New Reign

All seemed to be quiet as it were in the Shadow World. Hounds playing with each other under the moonlight that was breaking through the clouds, the pigmen at rest, just a normal night by their standards.

Wickerbottom was silent in thought as she walked about the land, taking everything in. While she was more than ready to be a leader, it was still an adjustment she was getting used to. She had a lot on her shoulders now and she had many ideas in mind in how to improve the place.

I want my home to be how it used to be if not better…

She sighed, rubbing her temples a little.

Just hate the headaches that come with this… Even us shadow beings are still susceptible to insanity.

“Got a lot on your mind, Your Highness?”

Wickerbottom glanced to the side, seeing Jack floating not too far from her.

“Just tending to the land and trying to keep my head clear. Being ruler is no easy task. All the more reason I’m glad I didn’t let Wilson subject himself to this. While he is strong in mind these headaches are not exactly fun to deal with.”

Jack shook his head.

“Oi… You would think the shadows would have more respect for their ruler.”

“They just have needs, hence the headaches. It’s their way of saying something is wrong and they want it fixed now. Maxwell spoiled them so it was never really an issue for him for the most part.” Wickerbottom scowled a little. “Of course… He just made it that way…”

“I admit, while I have been part of this world for two years I still feel I don’t know much about the shadows even from the stuff you have told me… They’re… like you  aren’t they? Just… I dunno… sick?”

“Something like that… But what caused this to happen is in the past. I have full intentions of helping my people get back to their former selves. They don’t have to live in hiding anymore or as they are. Maxwell is no longer holding on to us with his iron fist. It’s time for us to flourish once more.”

“And I’ll do what I can to help… You sure you don’t mind me being the Reaper still? I know it’s kind of law that when a new reign begins a new Reaper is chosen.”

Wickerbottom gave a gentle look.

“I know you still have business here to settle Jack, and you’ve been one of the best the Shadow World has had in awhile so I’m honored to still have you as part of my court.”

Jack smiled back, giving a bit of sneaky look in his eyes.

“Good… Because I admit… I’d love to get my hands on Maxwell and give him a good slice with my wings.”

Wickerbottom chortled a little.

“Now, now, Jack, while he may deserve it, it’s best to leave him alone unless he causes a problem. If he bothers someone, all bets are off and he’s all yours.”

“Perfect…” Jack rubbed his hands together. “So… Where do we begin?”

“Well… I need to help The Survivors in regards to having access to all the islands in the area so… First things first, we create more portals. After that… we’ll see.”

“We sure got a tall order of things to complete.”

“Yes, but thankfully we have plenty of time to do it.”

Jack nodded, looking up at the sky. “This place is different with actual moonlight.. Not pitch blackness… Charlie no longer having to prowl in the dark…” I hope she’s adjusting alright.. Two years of being a beast...

“I’m thankful she is no longer is binded to The Grue. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t one prowling around, it’s just not Charlie herself.” Wickerbottom pinched the bridge of her nose. “You know very well why Maxwell got the idea to fuse her to it.”

He narrowed his eyes, growling under his breath. “Oh yes… Wanted to make use of her… And to break William even more… Punishing me and her were his best ways to break him for as long as he had… And if I ever get my hands on him I will cause a problem for him if he ever tries anything…”

“And knowing him he will try something, he’s just biding his time since well… We’re on full alert. He’s not an idiot, but he is not one to give in easily either. But when he comes, we’ll be waiting for him.”

Jack gave a nod, sighing a bit.

“It never ends...”

“Just how it is.” Wickerbottom snapped her fingers. “Sebastian.”

A shadow creature materialized near them.

“Yessss miisstress?” It hissed.

“Always one for the dramatics.” Jack remarked.

Wickerbottom rolled her eyes, smiling a little.

“Could you please gather some others and help bring materials in constructing portals like the one in the throne room? I need to create access points for Wilson and his team to rescue other survivors. Also, see if you can arrange scout teams to look for said survivors… and make sure they do NOT get the urge to eat anyone. Understood?”

The creature nodded quickly.

“Yesss my mistress. I will be quick!” Sebastian disappeared as he hurried off to complete his task.

“I bet he’ll be happy to take human form again.”

“All in due time, just need to work on finding something in the Codex that can reverse whatever Maxwell did. For now, he’s just stuck like that.”

Jack sighed a bit. “The blasted curse..”

“It was awful… Yet my people brought it on themselves so many years ago, long before my time.”

“Indeed… Because some got it in their heads...”

“It was just a bad idea to try and overthrow someone who was already slipping into his own brand of insanity… I need to remember to tell you about that whole debacle later.”

Jack crossed his arms.

“Indeed you do… To imagine Maxwell was ever slightly sane..”

“Everyone has a point in their life when they were different. We just change with time.”

“That is so true Your Highness… Well..” He looked to her. “We also can make changes… And I’ll help however I can..”

“And I know you will do your best.” Wickerbottom looked behind her, seeing Sebastian approaching with other shadow beings behind him. “We all will.”

From those here in our world, to those in the Light Dimension.

This is a new beginning for all of us.

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 4

LitS My Work Your Hand.png

FF.net: Light in the Shadows: My Work, Your Hands

My Work, Your Hands

“Pulse… Stable… Breathing… Shallow…” Wilson sighed as he took off his stethoscope, slinging it around his neck. “Nothing different from the days before.”

It had been about a week since The Survivors had settled into their new home. Work was being done to make it more hospitable and so far progress was being made at a good pace.

Wish I could say the same for William…

“How is he?”

Wilson looked over to the entrance of the medical tent, seeing Charlie poking her head in.

Wilson frowned.

“Same as always.”

Charlie frowned as well.

“Oh…” She made her way over, kneeling next to Wilson, looking at William. “It’s been over a week… I’m starting to worry. What if he never wakes up?”

“Hey…”Wilson placed a hand on her shoulder. “We need to remember something. He was fused to someone for nearly two years. Two years of having to bend to their will. Two years of suffering whatever kind of torture they put him through. Two years of basically insanity nonstop. Whatever Maxwell did before I separated them, combined with that, took its toll. What I'm trying to say is… it makes sense why he’s still resting, but I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.”

Charlie nodded.

“I understand… Just… I want to hear his voice again… I want to hear him as William… I want to see him smile again… But most of all, I just want to be with him…”

Wilson gave her a gentle look, squeezing her shoulder a little.

“I know, Charlie, and I’m sure once he wakes up you’re all he’ll be able to think about. He just needs time to heal.” Both physically and mentally…

“Right… I know the others are waiting as best as they can too. Wigfrid has plans to make him meat and carrot stew when he’s up, Wolfgang wants to see if he’s still good at the French he taught him and Wes… I dunno. He’s always full of surprises. Then of course, the twins just want to give him the biggest hug ever.”

“Well, I know one thing he won’t be lacking in when he’s ready.” Wilson smiled a bit. “He’ll have plenty of love of all kinds from all corners. Which he’ll need, given all.. He’s quite lucky in that regard.”

“Jack would be happy to know he’s being taken care of and still loved… It’s what he would’ve wanted for him.” Charlie sighed a little. “Since he can’t do it himself.”

Wilson sighed. “Though, I admit, I’m questioning my own methods a little. It’s hard to treat a person when you don’t know what medications they can tolerate... On top of that…” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m still getting the hang of this whole medical aspect.”

“Your dark knowledge let’s you know everything doesn't it?”

“Yes, it does. But it doesn’t allow me the luxury of knowing all of a person’s past, and I have to hear something about it or see something before the rest pieces it together.”

“I see… Well….” Charlie hummed in thought. “I can’t bring you a file… But… Jack was William’s main doctor for the longest time and knew all of his health problems even back when they were lads. If there’s anyone who would know his history from start to finish it’s him.”

Wilson nodded to himself. “Then I’ll just have to see if he’s willing to make an appearance for me. At least for the sake of William. I just… don’t want to make his situation worse for him…”

“I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.” Charlie smiled a little. “He would do anything for William. After all, the two years of being Reaper, he kept hoping somehow or someway William could come back… Then you came.”

Wilson chuckled a bit, giving a small shrug. “And I was just glad to be able to do something. It’s been one heck of a ride that’s for sure, and Jack was such a huge help when we were taking down Maxwell. It helped to have a guide… and he kept my soul from being devoured… He had a hand in saving my life… I want a hand in helping his brother’s.”

“And knowing him he’ll take that as payment for saving your life. All you need to do is ask him… Though um… Don’t expect me to accompany you to the Shadow World.” Charlie shuddered a little. “I just… don’t think I can ever go back there like you guys are. Something just feels off even when standing near the portal.”

“You spent so long stuck there. I would never ask you to return there.” Wilson brought an arm around her. “All I will ask is that you make sure this one.” He nodded to William. “Doesn’t suddenly start sleepwalking.”

Charlie giggled.

“It’s a deal.”

ooooo

After packing a bag for the night, and letting the others know where he was going he headed off through the portal.

Alright… Best place to go is just… Straight back to my old camp. Might not be the best place but it’s a good chance I could run into him to there. At least it’s autumn and not summer or winter…

Wilson could see the base in view. It was surprising to see it was still standing, even after being away for so long. There were some areas of it that were roughed up, but it was still holding strong.

Repair work should fix that no problem-

“RARF! RARF! RARF!”

A familiar figure came running up to Wilson, knocking him over as it tackled him to the ground, licking him all over his face.

“RARF!”

Wilson burst out laughing as he petted the creature on the head, trying to get away from the barrage of licking.

“Chester! Silly ol’boy!”

“Bark!”

Chester stopped, letting Wilson sit up, cuddling up to the man, whimpering a little. The message was clear.

“I missed you.”

Wilson brought his arms around Chester, resting his head atop his for a few moments. “I missed you too my dear friend… I’m sorry I haven’t brought you through the portal yet… Just have to make sure it’s safe for you to go through.”

“Rawr…”

“I think he was just getting worried you weren’t coming back for him.”

Wilson looked up, seeing Jack perched on top of the fort structure, a small smile on his face.

“He’s been waiting here the whole time since you went to see Her Highness.”

Wilson smiled a little, giving a slight wave. “Just glad he hasn’t decided picking a fight with the killer bees is a good idea… Again.”

Chester whimpered, nuzzling up to him.

“Still, he was willing to wait as long as he needed.” Jack came down, removing his hood. “How has the Light Dimension been treating you? I know it’s not exactly Earth, but from what Her Highness has told me it’s a nice little home away from home.”

“Oh, it’s turning out just fine. Getting the structures built and all. Not perfect yet but it’s a good place to be. The girls love it there… I haven’t seen them this happy in a long time. Though… There is one problem.”

“What’s that? Are there monsters there too? Some kind of other problems when it gets dark? I sure hope not. I thought Grue problems were a Shadow World exclusive.”

Wilson shook his head. “No, no, nothing like that… It actually concerns William… He’s stable mind you but… Ugh, I can’t seem to get him to wake up… And on top of that I’ve noted his breathing is shallow all the time. Sometimes he goes into coughing fits..”

Jack groaned, running a hand through his hair.

“Maxwell... Maxwell… Maxwell… I wanted to kill him multiple times when he started smoking.” Jack growled, his eyes seeming to light up a little brighter. “William didn’t have good lungs to begin with and he up and did that as an insult to my face.”

“... Oh you have to be kidding me. Maxwell possessed him and never even thought “gee these lungs sure are terrible”!?”

“Well… they weren’t awful, awful like they were when he was a lad. Actually, by the time he was in his twenties he was pretty close to that of a normal person thanks to my work. When I had finished medical school I devoted time to figuring out treatments for him. His main issue was not being able to get enough oxygen, so anything like long distance travel or extensive activities would leave him exhausted. So… I was able to find ways to get his lungs to function better to the point he was able to finally handle things like traveling overseas so he could come to America.”

Wilson frowned.

“And Maxwell ruined all that work to punish you both… But that’s why I’m here, Jack. I want to undo what was done. I want to give him a fighting chance so when he wakes up he has the best chance for a normal life - As much as normal can get where we’re at currently.” He sighed. “Unfortunately, this dark knowledge isn’t perfect… I need help…”

Jack rubbed the back of his neck.

“Well… I can teach you what I know I just… don’t think I can do anything physically… and on top of that, I need to see William myself… but… I don’t know if I could go into the Light Dimension… I’m kind of bound to here as it were with my duties and… I don’t know what would happen if I did enter it.”

“If I found out if it was safe would you come? … Or if I had to, I could have him brought here instead.”

Jack shook his head.

“Absolutely not, you’re not bringing William back here in the state he’s in. I’ll take the risk of just going there.”

“Well, all discoveries were made with risks in mind weren’t they?”

“Yep… Even in medicine… Well, if Her Highness needs another Reaper I’m sure she can find the next eligible ghost.”

“... Dark.”

“When you’ve lived in this world for two years, you start to grow a very jaded sense of humor…”

Wilson shrugged, petting the top of Chester’s head.

“If it makes you feel better, I’ve often entertained thoughts of ripping out Maxwell’s lungs, if he even possesses them, to stick them into William.”

“Oh you wouldn’t want those lungs to begin with.” Jack smirked. “They’d have his nastiness all over them.”

“Oh so true, so true.” Wilson snickered a little. “And besides… They’re full of hot air. Like he was!”

“Ha!” Jack threw his head back laughing. “True… Alright… Let’s go have a chat with Her Highness about me taking leave for an hour or two… and bringing this little fluff ball back to camp.”

“Sir yes sir!”

“Rarf!”

oooooo

“Hm…” Wickerbottom circled around Jack, taking in all Wilson had told her and what they were both asking of her. “Well… It should be possible… But there might be side effects even I don’t know about. After all, Jack serves as the light in the Shadow World… I’m not entirely sure what will happen if he steps into the Light Dimension. Could either be good or bad… But as for being gone for a few hours, I can just handle his burden for the time he is gone.”

“Which is all we need. I just need time to soak in the information and do what I need to.” Wilson replied. “And it would only be for a few hours at most…”

“And as for those unexpected side effects, I’ll take the risk.” Jack gave a determined look. “I don’t want to stand by again and do nothing while William is struggling. I’ve had enough of that.”

Wickerbottom sighed.

“Alright. Just be mindful. I’ll be standing by if something goes wrong… Oh, and Wilson, it’s completely safe to take Chester too.”

“YES!” Wilson cheered a bit before he cleared his throat. “I-I mean how wonderful. Thank you kindly.”

“RARF!” Chester nuzzled up against his leg.

Wickerbottom chortled a little.

“I believe you two have work to do. Now, go on.”

Both nodded, making their way for the portal.

Jack took a deep breath, removing his cloak entirely.

“I’m coming, William…”

Wilson looked to him. “Let’s go.”

Without another word they stepped into the light.

Jack cringed a little, feeling something pierce through him, but it soon faded as they stepped into the dimension. Sights of open fields and mountains meeting his eyes… and it felt warm.

Warmth…? When was the last time I felt that…?

Jack looked around, taking everything in… then looked to Wilson who was staring at him wide eyed.

“What?” Jack asked.

“Uh… Wardrobe change much?”

Jack looked at himself, seeing he was no longer in his Reaper attire. Instead, he was in his old slacks and button shirt along with a red bow tie.

“Huh…? H-How…?” Jack looked back to Wilson confused. “I haven’t worn these clothes since I died…”

“She did say there could be side effects..” Wilson replied, just as confused… and curious. “... And yet I wonder…” He reached out to touch Jack’s shoulder.

Much to both their surprise, Wilson was able to place his hand firmly on it.

“... Wilson… What about my eyes? Are they… normal?”

Wilson nodded slowly.

“Completely normal… I can see the color clearly… And they're not glowing…”

“... I represent the light in the Shadow World… this is the Light Dimension…”

“... You get to have a temporary body.” Wilson said with genuine surprise.

“I guess it kind of makes sense… This place is linked to the Shadow World so I guess when something of light comes in… It just… becomes normal.”

“It makes sense… There’s no need for a Reaper or a Grue in this world… It’s a haven.”

“... Well… I’m not questioning it… Though I don’t want anyone seeing me… Just… Reasons… I’m not a permanent resident and I’d rather not draw attention to myself.”

Wilson nodded, giving an understanding look.

“I know exactly what you mean… Let’s head straight to the medical tent then. The girls won’t come within ten feet of it if that’s what you're worried about.. and we have a distraction.” Wilson looked to Chester. “Go find the girls, Chester.”

Chester nodded before running off.

Jack got a sad look in his eyes.

“It’s exactly what I’m worried about.”

Wilson frowned. “They love you very much. They still think of you as their hero..”

“And I’m happy to hear that… I just… don’t want to break their hearts knowing I can’t be here all the time…”

“I understand…” Wilson lead the way, keeping Jack out of view, taking a different path than he normally would. “You’re a good father, Jack..”

“I did what I could.” Jack kept his focus on the tent, heading straight inside. “And I’m trusting you to pick up what I left behind.”

“And I do as best as I can.” Wilson set down his bag, doing a quick vital check on William. “They’re loved.” And William you're not helping my case. Still the same as usual…

Jack swiped his stethoscope, doing the exact same thing. He closed his eyes, focusing on everything he was hearing.

This brings back memories…

“Will… You trust me, right?”

“Y-Yeah…”

“Then I need you to trust me that I know what I’m doing… It’s going to be hard… It’s probably going to hurt too… But I promise in the end you’ll be healthy.”

Jack sighed, looping the stethoscope around his neck.

“Just as I thought… His breathing patterns match the ones I remember him having before I treated him. Save they’re a little worse. He’s congested because of the smoke damage…”

“I was worried about that. His heart rate stays steady but his breathing just seems to take a dive.” Wilson crossed his arms. “It’ll be a challenge but one I’m willing to take on.”

“I guess we could try the treatments I did previously… but I don’t know if it’ll be as effective with the inclusion of smoke damage…”

“We have to try. So if it’s not as effective we’ll just double the doses or try new medications in addition.”

“Main thing is to just clear the airways… I used a combination of both medicine and… as silly as it sounds, nature. Part of training William’s lungs to take in more air, I’d have him take walks with me. But that part will have to come later when he’s awake. For now, we’ll just start with simple medicine… and who knows, since your powers allow you learn anything science, you might be able to develop something even I don’t know.”

Wilson smirked, giving a nod, a determined look coming to his eyes. “I’m willing to give it a try.” He offered Jack a handshake. “Shall we, Doctor?”

Jack smiled, shaking his hand.

“We shall, Doctor.”

They got straight to work, going late into the night with their treatments. Keeping track of things, Wilson taking in everything Jack was doing and saying to him… The powers filling in what he wasn’t sure on.

I just hope this works…

“Okay… I think this is as far as we go…” Jack hummed in thought, putting finishing touches on a medical report, clipping all the pages together. “This has everything on William’s medical history so hopefully it might be helpful in figuring out further treatments without me here.”

Wilson nodded, leaning back a little. “I’m sure it will. Thank you for this. It was extremely helpful and informative. I’m confident I can handle it now that I have the knowledge of what to do for his health’s sake.”

“You’re faster than any intern I saw in the hospitals I worked at, that's for sure.” Jack looked to William, smiling as he took note of his breaths being much more evenly paced. “Brother…”

Wilson smiled softly. “He’s going to be just fine now…”

“I have you to thank for that.” Jack moved over to William, holding one of his hands. He closed his eyes, taking in the little warmth they had, feeling the pulse from Williams’ wrist. “... It’s weird… It’s been the longest time since I’ve been able to do something as simple as hold someone’s hand… and I just… can’t help but take in all the details…”

“Things can make you look at everything in perspective.”

William squeezed his hand faintly, taking Jack by surprise.

“Brother…?” Jack asked softly, bringing his other hand over William’s.

He squeezed his hand again, stirring just a little.

“He’s in there…”

Jack nodded, brushing part of William’s hair out of his face.

“Hang in there…” Jack cringed a little, pulling his hand back. “Agh…”

Wilson frowned, laying a hand on his shoulder. “You need to get back to the Shadow World… It’s been more than just a few hours… I’ll let you know how he’s doing and adjusting..”

“Thank you... Ngh…” Jack held out his hand, seeing the faint glow of a life line sitting in his palm. “Oh please don’t be someone dead…” He pulled away from Wilson, making his way for the tent exit. He looked back one last time, showing his eyes were starting to revert back. “Take care of them…” He hurried out, booking it straight to the portal, disappearing within seconds.

Wilson sighed heavily.

“I promise…” He murmured more so to himself now than anything else. “I will protect them with all I have.”

• Like 4

Apologies for the lack of updates on this thread! I promise we are trying to get the next chapters ready to go just trying to keep continuity in check between Light in the Shadows and Book of Shadows. O__e I feel kind of bad just... life happened so didn't have as much to write things or make the covers. So, apologies again, just posting here so people know this thread isn't dead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

The help is appreciated. :wilson_smile:

We promise more is coming. Just need to wrap up Book of Shadows.

I assume the next installments are about William? I can't think of anyone else there could be (I mean, I like the other characters but I don't think they're as important in this story ^^; )

Oh god, I can't stop reading XD but after the first 3 chapters, I see a lot of things linked to BoS ^_^ I also have a couple of theories unrelated to that.

Due to the lack of snow on day 45 (when Wilson and Willow met) I'd assume he was brought in on Spring (either that or there are no seasons in StS :p ) also, I head-canon that one of the tunes Wilson was humming was The Scientific Symphony (if he remembers it :? )

Then again, I could be totally wrong about all this XD

Edit: I was. He did come in at Autumn, I just haven't memorized season lengths and days XD

Edited by DragonMage156
I was a fool!
  • Like 1

Phew, finally finished.

I can't believe I hadn't like the first chapter for Light in the Shadows. I must have been in a rust to read the next chapter first time around XD

Edit

I forgot to add something. So as I read through chapter nine, I got a but curious when GooseMoose was mentioned. Incase you don't know, the Klei forums is notorious for changing the word-Goose to Goose. idk if it's a joke or not but I did a bit of research and sure enough...

DA:

StS ch 9 DA.png

Forums:

StS ch 9 Klei.png

No harm done (and certainly not important XD ) just wanted to put that out there.

Edited by DragonMage156