Survival Tips and Tricks

Some of mine are

1. Hay Beacons: Around winter, I've found that making level 3, single hay wall pieces and placing them around the place can help prevent freezing to death. If you're stuck somewhere without fire materials (which should honestly never happen, but I suppose it could) and you have a torch, just light that bad boy ablaze and bask in the light and warmth.

2. Live off the Land (Bridge): For those of you who are worried about base defense, land bridges and coastlines can be your friends. You can't place a wall directly by the coast, but if you put it as close as the game will permit, you will be able to slip between the coast and the wall, but no mobs will be able to follow. You can then build a wall that actually slows down those pesky hounds (but watch out for Pengulls. Those jerks will destroy your wall if it's keeping them away from their nesting grounds).

3. Egg Pantry: Pretty simple, but keep a couple chests full of Tall Bird eggs for an emergency stash of food. It won't spoil, and the chests will keep the occasional pig from devouring your food.

Some of these are probably common sense, but maybe the new players will learn something helpful :D 

I find it easier to just have a signpost prebuilt and carry a torch and a hammer. When you freeze, build it, set it on fire, hammer it, rinse and repeat. You get your boards back and some free charcoal in return.

1. This one is really basic but i didn't know about it when i started so it could be useful, kill butterflies when they are doing circles in the air, are on a flower, or you can chase them and then quickly attack. Butterfly wings are easy to get and can heal quite a bit.

2. Also a basic one, if you want to get something done really quickly or are in a hurry, you can mine rocks/chop trees faster by rapidly klicking them rather than holding space or holding down the left mouse button

3. Kite

4. If you need to deal with a Goose/Goose during spring, lure her to a herd of beefalo and watch them destroy her, if its a decent size herd you can get away without a single dead beefalo.

5. Since the glommer follows you while you have the flower, you don't need to kill it straight away, and you probably shouldn't if you don't want krampus, because killing glommer shoots up your naughtiness. Try getting some pigs and have them kill the glommer. (Since we are already talking glommer, he is always found in a decidious forest biome near the pig king.)

6. Pick tumbleweeds for a possible chance of trinkets (I found these are actually pretty common from tumbleweeds) These can be traded to the pig king, making gold very easy to obtain.

7. When you are killing spiders, make sure you lure them a little bit away from their den to avoid spider warriors

8. If you ever wondered (I know i did) how you can kill pigs without getting hit, they always hit you and then go away, you chase them, they turn around and then hit again, well you wait for it to hit, and dodge (of course) While the pig is still in its attack animation, go to the pig and hit it up to 4 times and back away, next time you do it, it should be dead.

9. Get an icebox (They come from gears, which come from clockworks (rooks, bishops, knights)) before winter and stockpile food. also hunt the winter koalefant for a very warm vest.

10. You can kill (a) beefalo without getting the whole herd mad, wait for them to go to sleep, hit one and he should wake up without the other ones noticing (because they are not getting stabbed genius)

1. You don't need to place a bait on any of the traps (rabbit or bird ones)to get animals,you can simply place the trap on the floor and randombly a bird will go into it,and for the rabbits you can stay between them and their hole,and then attack them.for the first second they will try to go to their hole,but then they will find you and turn around,but there you have the exact time to kill them.Also you can make them run into a empthy trap.

2. Its recomended to carry a boomerang when hunting animals that run away,for example goats or koelefant.Once you find one just hit with the boomerang and he will start fighting.

3. You can turn pigs into werepigs if you give them 4 monster meats.then killing them you will always have 2 meats and 1 pig skin.With that and a stick you can make a hambat.

4. The first deerclops is one of the hardest fights on the game,because of your equipment and the hight number of shadows on the battle.You can get as many foods as you can cactus/green mushrooms/or jerky(wich is perfect because it will also heal you)And you'll be able to fight him without shadows around.

5. You can get poop from a beefalo herd or from a pig if you give them fruits/vegetables.turning him into a werepig you will get stacks of poop for your farms on one second.

6. Its really usefull to dry the meats instead of cooking it because of the heal and the sanity.and also it will survive ages on a fridge without spoiling.

I could write more but i am so lazy xd.

Heheh, it's a good thing they still haven't removed the powdrake strategy. More costly than your average joe of weather pain, but easily accessible and can be acquired before the first winter. 

Items:

• 1 Slime/GPowder for yourself, ~2 slimes/1 GPowder of said victim (if it's a well-constituted WX, go figure)
  • A mandrake, 'course. Cooked or not.
  • Access to cooking utensil. (if pre-cooked, go rambo)

Stepz (pretty straightfoward)

• Make sure your victim isn't wearing any armor at the time, and that you are, though. Don't let him gain too much distance though!
  • Have a raw mandrake? Be sure to be next to a cooking utensil for the same force-sleep effect, but less costly.
  • Quickly drop, and ignite a slime/gpowder right beside you to be in it's effect.
  • Wait a second or two...
  • Eat/cook the mandrake. Depends on the shape, are there grill marks on it? I'm no botanist...
  • Everyone sleeps, including you, but however, you are interrupted by your pre-placed explosion!
  • Walk up to your defenseless foe, (better with a cane) and place the stack of explosives and light it beside him.
  • ???
  • Voila! Now you have a crock-haunting ghost. Goodie.

inb4 gets patched

4 hours ago, Wexton said:

4. The first deerclops is one of the hardest fights on the game,because of your equipment and the hight number of shadows on the battle.You can get as many foods as you can cactus/green mushrooms/or jerky(wich is perfect because it will also heal you)And you'll be able to fight him without shadows around.

Tooth traps make this giant easy.

yeah,but we are talking about the first winter,where you dont have many hound theets unless you kill a lot of walruses getting theets from the ice hounds that drop more of them,good alternative would also be beefs or some other animal if you dont mind loosing them,then on late game one can easly kill giants with those traps

29 minutes ago, Wexton said:

yeah,but we are talking about the first winter,where you dont have many hound theets unless you kill a lot of walruses getting theets from the ice hounds that drop more of them,good alternative would also be beefs or some other animal if you dont mind loosing them,then on late game one can easly kill giants with those traps

or just fight him as they said in this post

VVVVVVV   lets see say 4 characters of normal dmg all with spears each can get about 5 hits in before each swing

you will only take about 6 hits if you tank him  which is 90 dmg to your character and 1 broken log suit according to the numbers so i suggest taking 2 log suits by the first time you get frozen you would have done 2156 dmg which is a little over half his hp

normally i just kite the deer but people sometimes just say stuff about lagg and that dont work (ThePlayer:Enable MovementPrediction(false)) as new players see they always hype him up trying to see how do we kill him blahh!!!.....

5 hours ago, Wexton said:

The first deerclops is one of the hardest fights on the game,because of your equipment and the hight number of shadows on the battle.You can get as many foods as you can cactus/green mushrooms/or jerky(wich is perfect because it will also heal you)And you'll be able to fight him without shadows around.

with ham bat,3 full sets of armor at 100%(armor and helmet)and some healing items like dragonfruit or salves you can easily tank almost every giant,except the dragonfly wich would be like 6 sets of armor,maybe a little bit less with strong characters.The interesting thing about deerclops its the sanity,if you dont kill him fast enough the shadows will take care of your armor and health before deerclops does

18 hours ago, Wexton said:

You can get poop from a beefalo herd or from a pig if you give them fruits/vegetables.turning him into a werepig you will get stacks of poop for your farms on one second.

Rather than wasting food, grab stacks of light bulbs. They're extremely easy to get in bulk and its renewable. A werepig will mow though 2-3 full stacks easily- though it turns back into a sleeping regular pig if it eats too much, not a problem unless you wanted the meat and pigskin. 

Why fight Deerclops at all? Get him to chase you to a heavily wooded area & run him around there so he knocks down lots of trees. This will trigger treeguards, who will kill him for you, though he may go through one or two, if they're small. You can stop by a campfire to warm up while they duke it out. This not only gives you meat & the eyeball, but lots of wood AND living logs without chopping. You do need a puffy vest and a miners helmet, though.

-Take your time at the start of a new game to explore the entirety of the coastline, gathering supplies along the way and pre-building your most important structures. This way you'll have a rough idea of where your resources are going to be concentrated before setting up your permanent base, quickly and efficiently.  

-Don't waste time during the exploration phase with campfires. Torches are cheaper and you'll cover more ground by exploring at night.

-Build a summer base. Ice-Fling-Os can be costly and refilling a bunch of them is time consuming; so construct a secondary base in the desert to retreat to when summer hits to conserve gears and gold.

-Ice is your best friend. Get lots of it whenever possible to use for Fling-Os and crockpot filler. 

-Dragonfly has a lot of heath, which makes kiting her a pain in the butt. The simplest and fastest way to kill Dragonfly: Pan Flute (which you'll usually find near glommer's statue), and 14 gunpowder, which is easy to make.  

-Get a birdcage as soon as possible to recycle meat and seeds.

-Spiders can be caught in traps! You can use them to quickly clear out spider-infested areas and break down the nests with minimal injury. 

3 hours ago, graycrayon said:

-Take your time at the start of a new game to explore the entirety of the coastline, gathering supplies along the way and pre-building your most important structures. This way you'll have a rough idea of where your resources are going to be concentrated before setting up your permanent base, quickly and efficiently.  

-Don't waste time during the exploration phase with campfires. Torches are cheaper and you'll cover more ground by exploring at night.

-Build a summer base. Ice-Fling-Os can be costly and refilling a bunch of them is time consuming; so construct a secondary base in the desert to retreat to when summer hits to conserve gears and gold.

-Ice is your best friend. Get lots of it whenever possible to use for Fling-Os and crockpot filler. 

-Dragonfly has a lot of heath, which makes kiting her a pain in the butt. The simplest and fastest way to kill Dragonfly: Pan Flute (which you'll usually find near glommer's statue), and 14 gunpowder, which is easy to make.  

-Get a birdcage as soon as possible to recycle meat and seeds.

-Spiders can be caught in traps! You can use them to quickly clear out spider-infested areas and break down the nests with minimal injury. 

14 gunpowder is not gonna work in DST. You need quite a lot more.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

14 gunpowder is not gonna work in DST. You need quite a lot more.

My bad, I mis-typed. I get my stats mixed up. ^^'

14 is the number you need for reign of giants. The number I meant to type was 138, which can be used against her in installments of 4 stacks, 3 of 40, and 1 of 18. It sounds like a lot, but if caves are enabled on the server then nitre is plentiful, charcoal is easy to obtain and renewable, and if you have a birdcage (preferably more than one) spoiled eggs are easy to come by. 

Or you could kite her, which takes approximately 2 ingame days without a break (which is advisable because leaving her long enough lets her respawn at full health again), if you play as Wolfgang on a full stomach, several pairs of armor and god knows how many mushrooms or jerky to cope with the sanity drain. 

In addition to those methods I've also seen people use walls, which also works nicely if you have the stone for it. It'll keep the larvae off of you. I find it tedious, personally. But, different strokes for different folks. 

ngl this is partially just an excuse for me to justify blowing her to  s m i t h e r e e n s

8 hours ago, graycrayon said:

Don't waste time during the exploration phase with campfires. Torches are cheaper and you'll cover more ground by exploring at night.

I've seen this suggestion before, but after I missed a boon set piece with a walking cane, I always wait for daylight before exploring the map. You just can't see enough with a torch, and there's good stuff that doesn't show up on the map. You can use campfire time to cook & eat and to chop trees, because you need a lot of wood to set up a camp.

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I've seen this suggestion before, but after I missed a boon set piece with a walking cane, I always wait for daylight before exploring the map. You just can't see enough with a torch, and there's good stuff that doesn't show up on the map. You can use campfire time to cook & eat and to chop trees, because you need a lot of wood to set up a camp.

Oh geez, that stings. 

Personally I've never had a problem with stuff like that. Anything I miss I usually end up finding again soon afterwards because I tend to do most of my exploring during the first autumn. I feel a lot more comfortable having a base set up within the first 10 days so I like to hustle

Archived