Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server (Issues with Caves and Customization)

Hello, all! I have been trying to set up a dedicated server to play Don't Starve Together with my girlfriend. We live across the world from each other, so a dedicated server was the only way we could play without lag and rubberbanding. 

It took several attempts to have everything set up. I had a fellow DST player help me with everything, but when everything was said and done, the Caves were still not loading up. 

START UP.PNG

We tried to fix the error for over an hour. We couldn't find anything wrong in any file I had created. I even searched forums on here. I found someone having a similar error, but it was solved by changing the masterport number. The number they changed the masterport number to is the one I currently have, so that is obviously not the issue. 

SHARD.PNG

Since both my girlfriend and I are newbies at Don't Starve Together, we also customize our world to have the longest autumn and a long day. However, since the Caves weren't working, I was told to put the worldgenoverride.lua file in the Master folder. When I loaded up the server, it was not customized at all. 

If anyone could help me fix the error with the Caves and the customization, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want the frustration of perfection to ruin the enjoyment both my girlfriend and I get from this game. 

Thank you!

I finally got it running. I had set the server.ini as the wrong type of file. However, the customization in worldgenoverride still isn't working. It is a LUA file, but the game simply isn't registering any of the custimizations I make. 

@AdamCrook if the worldgenoverride.lua isn't taking affect, have you made sure to c_regenerateworld() the server since usually you'd have to do that so the worldgenoverride.lua can actually override the world generation which only happens once (at the beginning of a server's first startup). So in any of the server windows type c_regenerateworld() and press enter.

With regards to the server's not being able to find each other, I recommend you attach both the server_log.txt from under Documents\Klei\YourServer\Master and from Documents\Klei\YourServer\Caves so the devs can see what's happening with the game to help determine a possible workaround for you.

In the mean time, try and set the following .exe file that runs the server to Run program as administrator:

• If you're using SteamCMD, go to Steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin > Open Properties for "dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe" > Under the compatibility tab enable Run this program as administrator > Press Apply > Press Ok
  • If you're using Steam tools, go to Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin > Open Properties for "dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe" > Under the compatibility tab enable Run this program as administrator > Press Apply > Press Ok

Then see if your servers can see it other yet.

Archived