Tallbirds kill their children?

Gotta teach them no-good kids some respect, ya know!

...seriously, what the.  That is just...no.  I've been seeing morsels near nests in singleplayer, too, and I assumed something ELSE killed the baby!  Something that doesn't eat meat, so it couldn't be the nearby spiders...

...Notorious

I witnessed this earlier today as well and assisted the smallish bird in killing its mother. I felt bad for it.

I'm just glad it didn't aggro onto me as soon as the mother was dead. So there's that.

Huh.  Also, wait, yeah!  I saw exactly that the other day, too!  Three adult tallbirds fighting three teenbirds.

Interestingly, when I visited a good while before (last season) it was JUST teenbirds, with eggs in the nests. 

...the eggs hatched and grew into the new teenbirds while the former ones grew up?!  Sure seems like it.

(Also, they're laying eggs as teens, apparently.  Raise awareness for teenbird pregnancy now!)

Anyway, they were so busy fighting, they didn't do anything else until I led hounds DIRECTLY into their faces. Then there were no Tallbirds and no hounds and eggs that I could steal.  Yay.

If this is true, that they can hatch and grow up on their own now, then (a) WOOT!, that's awesome! but (b) why are they killing each other...?

...Notorious

On June 23, 2016 at 9:13 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

...seriously, what the.  That is just...no.  I've been seeing morsels near nests in singleplayer, too, and I assumed something ELSE killed the baby!  Something that doesn't eat meat, so it couldn't be the nearby spiders...

...Notorious

the eggs hatch into baby tall birds, but since the mother can't feed it, it dies and turns into a morsel :(

I've never seen a teen tall bird since all of them die usually 

5 minutes ago, FaeLove said:

the eggs hatch into baby tall birds, but since the mother can't feed it, it dies and turns into a morsel :(

I've never seen a teen tall bird since all of them die usually 

I've seen it many times too :(

I even try to feed them but their mom keeps attacking me

I haven't seen them kill their babies so far, but I have seen quite a few times when the babies get Hungry and the Tallbirds dont feed them the starve to death and then in turn, leave a morsel behind. But i have also never seen a tall bird egg hatch in its nest either?

I have no idea what was going on...all I know is, it was teenbirds with eggs one time, and then a fair bit later, it was adult tallbirds and teenbirds fighting each other.

TEENBIRD:  You never let me have any fun!

PARENT:  When you live in MY nest, young bird, you will follow MY rules!

TEENBIRD:  Well, maybe I don't wanna live in your nest anymore!

PARENT:  You little punk!  You need to learn a lesson!

(pecking ensues)

...that's as good an explanation as any... : P

...Notorious

Archived