If the devs wanted, we could definitely translate into unsupported languages. DST has a big Polish base. I happen to know the language and translate into and from it. I usually translate literary texts... or localise games. So if the devs are alright and would like a project like this, count me in.

• Developer
2 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

If the devs wanted, we could definitely translate into unsupported languages. DST has a big Polish base. I happen to know the language and translate into and from it. I usually translate literary texts... or localise games. So if the devs are alright and would like a project like this, count me in.

The devs do kind of "advertise" translation mods, they did it with DS and Invisible, Inc. at least.

One of the tricky parts in making a translation part would be making the new fonts, though, and it'd be really awesome if Klei could help with that and already add at least some different letters and graphical accents from different languages :)

6 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

The devs do kind of "advertise" translation mods, they did it with DS and Invisible, Inc. at least.

The tricky part in making a translation part would be making the new fonts, though, and it'd be really awesome if Klei could help with that and already add at least some different letters and graphical accents from different languages :)

True. I have graphics artists taking care of additional letters. I suppose for languages using the Latin alphabet, it is just the matter of accent marks. Okay, and ł, ą and ę. But things like ó, ñ, umlauts, now more work would be necessary.

On the other hand, Wigfrid DOES have umlauts. I bet it wouldn't be too much of trouble for the right person to do the same in ONI.

• Developer
5 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

On the other hand, Wigfrid DOES have umlauts. I bet it wouldn't be too much of trouble for the right person to do the same in ONI.

Yeap, she's got a new font just for her that only changes the normal "O" letter to one with umlauts :p

Now, imagine translating the game to Japanese/Chinese... all the trouble that the kanji and the kana would give @-@

• Developer
10 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Hebrew though. The fact the writing is in the opposite direction

I think POedit, which is the software recommended by Klei for doing translations, has a setting that can handle languages like that...

Dunno how it works, though :p

18 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I think POedit, which is the software recommended by Klei for doing translations, has a setting that can handle languages like that...

Dunno how it works, though :p

POedit IS popular, but there are a few hiccups.

1. It is aimed at Linux. Not everybody uses this operating system.

2. I find it TOO automatic. Call me old-fashioned, but a corpus is much more efficient. Yes, POedit and its ilk can be helpful for speedy translations, especially when your commissioner does not care for subtlety, but it works much worse for languages with elaborate inflection rules, like most Slavic languages, because the software will never beat the human. It simply requires a lot of care, something many teams find less effective than doing the very same between two colleagues without the need to have a good command of the software.

3. It has to be treated as an additional helper rather than your go-to solution. I sadly realise many get excited over the possibilities and forget about it.

5 hours ago, Michi01 said:

If this was an EA game: Buy the oxygen DLC now for just 15$!

Still a bargain! Real oxygen is more expensive :).

Archived