Embarrasing Ways To Die

before you continue, please note that I am not a Don't Starve pro, and there might be some stupid sheet in this article.

So, I have gathered up a bunch of embarrassing ways me and my friends have died in DST. Most of these were in my early days of playing DST but, some not ;). Feel free to comment down below some stupid ways you've died too. Enjoy!

Stupid Ways To Die

• Simply forgetting to light a fire or make a torch.
  • Getting your lantern stolen by a Splumonkey and then dying to Charlie.
  • Accidentally eating monster meat at low health (Not playing as Webber)
  • Trying to steal a Tallbird egg.
  • Attacking hibernating Bearger.
  • Nighttime hounds.
  • Thinking that if you lead two giants into each other that they would fight, and then having them both team up on you.
  • Eating random mushrooms and not knowing the side affects.
  • Tentacles. So many tentacles.
  • Approaching a Bunny village with meat in your inventory.
  • Walking by a herd of Beefalo in heat.
  • Trying to kite ;-;
  • Not knowing that Dragonfly is faster than you.
  • Trying to kill a Lureplant.
  • Making your base in a pig village when its a full moon.
  • Angering a giant tree by cutting down its family.
  • Trying to save Abigail from not dying.
  • Using all the nearby flowers for garlands and then dying to shadow creatures.
  • Accidentally auto hitting (CTR + F) a wall instead of a hound.
  • Underestimating clockwork monsters.
  • Attacking Mooslings, not knowing that their mother has a short temper.
  • Creating a forest fire and burning to death, (should've listened to Smokey the Bear).
  • Trying to save Chester and Glommer from monsters.
  • Not knowing about Werebeaver's sanity drain.

That's all I can really think about how I've died. Again, feel free to post a comment on  stupid ways you've died too!

Enjoy!

-Chaq

On 6/13/2016 at 3:36 PM, Chaquinn said:

the above stuff.

Okay, so, EVERYBODY probably has this song in their head, so allow me to be the one who grabs the fruit that is _so_ low-hanging, it's already rotting on the ground:

Dumb ways to die,

So many dumb ways to di-hii,

Dumb ways to die-hi-hi-hiiii...

So many dumb ways to die!

(snerk)  Now that that's out of the way, let's go down the checklist of Chaotica's Stupid Adventures in Starving, and see how many of these I've done as well.  Probably more.

--Simply forgetting to light a fire or make a torch.

YES, I'm sure we've all done this.  Is "finding yourself in a really thick forest with no place to plonk down a campfire, panicking, and forgetting you can just make a torch instead" also included under this?  'Cos that was my very first DS death ever.

--Attacking hibernating Bearger.

Attack not exactly, but he fell over on a lot of loot I wanted (a whole dead beefalo herd) and some of it (the meat) was perishable, so I went in there and kept grabbing and grabbing...until...I think I must've _touched_ him when I tried to get something he was lying ON, by accident?  And RRAAAARRR rampage.

Then he wandered up into the deep, dark forest full of spiders and _absolutely no trace of him was ever seen again_...I mean it.  The spiders must've eaten the meat, but there was no pelt either!  Just a trail of broken trees...that suspiciously just _stopped_.

--Nighttime hounds

I'm not sure exactly what's meant by this--hounds attacking at night meaning you're not ready, or get bitten by them more easily, or...?  Often what takes me out with nighttime hounds is not the hounds themselves, but panicking and dying to darkness.  Again.

--Tentacles. So many tentacles.

YES...in my case, not so much the multi-tentacle areas, but more like, "I'm sure I can grab just this ONE more thing of frog legs/fish/spike/spots/meat/silk/gland/monster meatAbigail's flower before that tentacle has a chance to get me!" DEAD

--Approaching a Bunny village with meat in your inventory.

YES..."I'm busy and have no inventory space, I can't be bothered to change my _food_  just because of stupid rabbits!"

"MURDERER!  MONSTER!  KILLER! DIE!!" and I'm chased around in circles until I go insane, get pinned into something else dangerous, or my lantern runs out.  Lovely!

--Trying to kite ;-;

I assume you mean in Together only here, yes?  SIGH.  Yes, that's what got me that one time as (wimpified) Willow--well, actually a combination of not being able to dodge a Treeguard, then insanity-freezing and/or Crawling Horrors.  Geh.

--Not knowing that Dragonfly is faster than you.

I think this is what took me out that one time as Wes.  I was thinking "OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP IT'S DRAGONFLY RUUUUNNN!" and she just got me. Bang.  Instantly.  (I didn't _say_ any of this 'cos, well, Wes!)

--Angering a giant tree by cutting down its family.

You mean treeguards in general?  Yes.  Although I am having a hard time thinking of a time a treeguard _itself_ actually killed me...usually I freak out, run away/plant pinecones or, if I'm Wigfrid, SPEAR TO THE FACE, and then get killed by something else after it's weakened me/chased me into darkness.

--Trying to save Abigail from not dying.

Change that to:  "Trying to get Abigail's already-dead flower back from the, ALWAYS, tentacle that killed her" and you've pretty much got it.

--Accidentally auto hitting (CTR + F) a wall instead of a hound.

Stupiding out and hitting space instead of the fight button near hounds/spiders, and conversely, hitting the fight button near a tree afterwards and being like "Why aren't I chopping it?!"

--Underestimating clockwork monsters.

This is another one we've probably all done.  : P

--Creating a forest fire and burning to death, (should've listened to Smokey the Bear).

Why do you think I like playing as Willow (singleplayer) and want her unnerfed for Together, so bad?  BURN, BURN, ALL OF YOU, BURN, HAHAHAHAHA!!!! (insane eyes)  Dude, I once used a forest fire just to keep warm when I forgot my winter stuff.  :D

--Trying to save Chester and Glommer from monsters.

Glommer I'm never in time for; one hound bite and he's pretty much done.  Chester, yes.  I've taken to putting both their items in my backpack so I can just automatically drop them behind me when I put on my armour, and then trying to make sure I am far enough away from said backpack when the hounds come (also in case of fire hounds).  It doesn't always work...

--Not knowing about Werebeaver's sanity drain.

(singleplayer)  Not knowing that when you come back from being a Werebeaver, you have the same stats as when you _die_ and get res'd at a touchstone (SYMBOLISM?) and attempting to get your stuff back, not knowing where the hell it is or where YOU are, in a triply weakened state.

Also adding:

--Dying from lack of resources due to no longer having a camp anymore because:

--Deerclops

--Bearger

--Fling-o-matic turned off because it's nighttime

--Not having one in the first place

All of these usually come out to "starving", "freezing", "overheating", or "darkness", but death from Sudden Lack of Camp I'm counting as its own thing.  : P

...Notorious

Let me add onto that list:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--SPLEMONKEYS

--Lack of gold (You know what I'm talking about, Shipwrecked!)

--Having little Sans-Clops come at night, when you are exploring and forgot it's day 31

--Dying of sadness when you kill 5 Walruses and never get even 1 Tam or Tusk :( (Personal Experience)

--Getting bored

--Being afk

--Going to caves on day 1

--getting shrekt by Beefalo when you forget that it's mating season

--Dying on day 1. Everyone will call you a noob, then. >:(

--Forgetting that charged volt goats shock you when you attack them

--Lightning strikes your base because you forgot to make a lightning rod

--FIRE IN THE BASE

--Lightning. Just..lightning

--Going into caves during winter (usually a bad idea)

--Setting walrus camps to "more"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES.  Lack of gold in Shipwrecked + monkeys led to that unfortunate incident where I was desperate enough to try and attack the one that stole the gold nugget to get it back...and two minutes later, I was drowning in insanity, starvation, low hit points and poop.  SCREW.  MONKEYS in this franchise.  _All_ kinds!

--No lightning rod...yeah, done this one...

--Setting ANYthing dangerous to "more".  "More" and "Lots" don't seem to know that they're supposed to be different from each other.  Like, one time I turned down frog rain, and then to make up for this, I turned tallbirds up to "more".  TALLBIRDS.  EVERYWHERE.  In every biome.  Near every resource I wanted to gather, not just rocks.  Tallbirds.

--I once died due to afk caused by my cat bugging the crap out of me to play with him...and then the playing taking longer than I thought it would.  So I died of cat.

--Playing as Wigfrid on a spring start...and not knowing, the first time, that all the rabbit holes would be sunken in!  ACK!  "Well, at least if I find a savannah I'll be okay for meat supplies WHAT?!  WHATTHE? What's going on? Where are all my rabbits?!" :(

--WX.  Plus rain.  'Nuff said.

--Running into leftovers from an OLD pack of hounds you accidentally left behind _at the same time_ as you're being chased by the CURRENT pack of hounds!

--Hit by lightning just at exactly the same moment my character warned me the hounds were coming...and then trying to get past them, a SPRING GIANT nest (this forum will NOT let me write that thing's name the way I want, it keeps changing the first letter of one of the words!), freezing 'cos of early spring, a giant spider nest, OH and it was also raining frogs.

In darkness.

Yep.

...does that technically go under Dumb Ways to Die, or EPIC ways to die?  At any rate, it was pretty spectacular.  (laugh)

...Notorious

--When you thought you paused the game (singleplayer) and left, and come back to find yourself dead to whoknowswhat.

--Forgetting that there were 5 tier-3 spider dens around that spider you just killed. (this has to be my dumbest of all.)

--Overestimating that herd of rock lobsters.

--Killing a shark(not the tigershark, the hound-shark) who brought friends.

--Accidentally eat some glommer goop when you don't have anything to stay sane. (Glommer was dead when this one happened)

--Forgetting your armour when you face Tusky.

These have to be my dumbest deaths.

Eating Taffy, picking a rose, picking a spiky bush, eating a cooked greencap, all while on 1 HP.  Rocks to the face while underground, bigger rocks to the face while above ground, throw-able rocks to the face in modded pvp, rocks to the face because the mod character you're playing as can eat rocks. Rocks, rocks, rocks, rocks.

Had a fight with the Rhino once. Down on my health, sanity very low.. Didn't have much experience with kiting, my armor was broken.  Came across a nice field of flowers while getting my ass home. Started picking, accidentally clicked F on a flower. There was a honeybee in it. A honeybee killed me. 

Other that than, just the first post basically. 

-Basing on Sacred biome

-Eating glommer goop to heal just to die for a Terrorbreak

-Get stuck in the middle of the trees after using the Old Bell(Happens a lot to me,tbh)

-Starving(the least thing to happen in the game, yet the most embarrassing ever)

>Going through the trouble of making really good armor, only to forget to equip it when danger strikes and get one punch man'd

>Doing something mundane just at the edge of the campfire and getting killed by Charlie even though I was tOTALLY IN THE LIGHT

Also for some non-death related, general stupidity:

When I played DS for the very first time and I picked up the eyebone, I thought Chester was a hostile mob charging at me so I dropped it on the ground and  r a n

6 hours ago, graycrayon said:

When I played DS for the very first time and I picked up the eyebone, I thought Chester was a hostile mob charging at me so I dropped it on the ground and  r a n

Ooo, this reminds me of one time, I was on a server with the description "expirienced players preferred" and someone brand new to the franchise as a whole joined, and he kept yelling at Maxwell cause he wanted the "orange dog" following him, so he attacked his shadow duelist in a fit to get the "dog" and got killed by it. (Then he wanted nothing to do with Maxwell cause he thought Maxwell was the one who had ordered the duelist to kill him. In a non-pvp server.)

On 7/4/2016 at 3:54 PM, fb03 said:

Come home just in time to add fuel in the campfire during nighttime, and then forgetting that the flingomatic just near the campfire was on.

THAT'S me, right there.  I eventually started learning to turn it off FIRST, but it's an uphill process.

(On a related note, why the hell does "add fuel" or just BUILDING the fling-o-matic make it automatically turn _on_, in Together?  I have lost more fires and been told things like "Great." or "Smooth move" by other players so many times because of that!)

...Notorious

Let's see...

First time ever playing DST with friends I was killed by a frog.

Death by deerclops numerous times.

Looking  a varg in the eye thinking I could take it down with beefalo around. (I made a very horrible mistake that day.)

Freezing to death on numerous occasions because I thought I could make it back to camp just fine or I was just resurrected via touch stone and had no supplies to speak of.

Poisoned birchnut trees slaughtered me when I was trying to set them on fire.

And finally... BEES! NOT THE BEES! AHH!!

Yeah those are all the mishaps I can think of in my travels. I'm sure there are others buuut memory is a bit foggy.

I can remember not equipping my armour.

Queens Gathering setpeice was seriously a queens gathering.

Freezing

Punched on low hp because someone thought it would be funny.

Frog rain. Too many frogs.

I remember my friend saying ''Its just  spider, I can handle it.'' Guess what happened.

Reduced to using a ghost as light then dying of insanity, or the ghost just abandoning me.

Webber plants spiders too close to the base.

Realizing we had more bosses when we set it to less rather then default.

Being 473 miles behind deerclops but still getting one-shot by it.

The above but with every monster available.

My two most embarrassing deaths are both as Webber ironically.  But they include:

- Rushing towards the Pig King, forgetting about the pig army surrounding him

- Getting smacked by a catcoon while running away from a pig man due to being low on health

I'm not fit to be Spider-Man Spider-Boy.

Hmm, my one friend died of starvation or something simple, so he left, and his brother died to a Deerclops at our while I was staying by Glommer's statue for the third freaking night in a row because I forgot the moon schedule is different in DST. He left to help me regain my sanity. Told my friend he could come back in, since I had a a telltale heart, but then, I was starving and killed a pengull near our base and forgot that you can't approach the others until the music stops playing. I hate pengulls!

I just remember playing DS and exploring the caves with just a torch for the first time. It ran out while I was in a patch of light, and I thought, "Pfft, that's okay. I already know how to get back to the entrance." So I just strolled on through the dark on my merry way. Much to my surprise, I heard a mysterious breathing noise, and was dead within five seconds. (I didn't have full health.)

I looked it up and soon learned of the monster named Charlie.

Oh, that hissing noise.  Not as terrifying as Deerclops's HHHHHHHHUUUUUUHHHHHHH in the night, but close.  I've since found out that I can exactly imitate Charlie-the-Grue's sound.

My cat is not amused. : P

Speaking of really new players, the other day, one of my best Steam friends was on my server playing as Wendy, and then a couple new people showed up.  They were okay, except one of them was clearly VERY new to the game in general--they kept saying things like "We need to resurrect the ghost."

...it took me a minute to realise they meant ABIGAIL!  In fact, at one point they even said "Abigail, go to the portal and click on it if you want to be a human again."  Oh, dear...!  (shakes head sadly while trying not to laugh)

This left me trying to figure out how to explain both how this character they clearly didn't know worked, and also the fact that we were in Survival mode, not Endless.  To someone that I am pretty sure English was not their first language.  I eventually settled on "You can't resurrect that way on this server" and "Abigail isn't a human player."  I...don't know if that helped.

Anyway, my own most recent last words...were probably something along the lines of "Dammit, I thought I could make it in time!" when trying to get back to a fire (of the proper kind) while overheating/freezing.  Because that happens a lot with me.

...Notorious

17 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

They were okay, except one of them was clearly VERY new to the game in general--they kept saying things like "We need to resurrect the ghost."

...it took me a minute to realise they meant ABIGAIL!  In fact, at one point they even said "Abigail, go to the portal and click on it if you want to be a human again."  Oh, dear...!  (shakes head sadly while trying not to laugh)

That sounds so surreal. I guess I just had to be there to believe it with my own eyes.

Ooh, I just remembered another good one.  Don't remember if I've actually _died_ to this, but I have taken a lot more damage than I needed to:

--Playing as Wigfrid, in winter, with hounds coming really soon.  In a flying hurry to get my armour on in time, I accidentally put on my BEEFALO HAT instead of my battle helm, because they both look Viking-y...

...and only AFTERWARDS do I wonder why my health is so low!

But hey, at least I was _warm_ during the battle.

...Notorious

Archived