Don't Starve Together "Server is not responding"

Hi,

My wife and I love Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together but recently began encountering this issue. When one of us hosts a world and the other is invited or tries to join they get a steam window that pops up saying "The server is not responding." We never had this issue until about a month ago, but it is very frustrating. We are on the same network so I can't see how there is an issue. We have both tried hosting, we have tried with mods disabled, it seems to make little difference. Sometimes through fluke we are able to slip in to join but most of the time when we click refresh it just doesn't work. 

Please fix this. We love this game, but its kind of pointless if we can't play together.

Hello @Voendomar, welcome to the forums. Can you double check if DST has permissions through the firewalls on both PCs? Also in both PCs go to the following location (Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\bin) and set the following programs to Run as administrator:

• dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe
  • dontstarve_steam.exe

Right click those exe files and under the compatibility tab enable the Run this program as administrator. Click Apply then Ok. Then try and run the game again from steam. Try those first and see if it helps or not. If it doesn't report back with the client_log.txt (under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether) from the PC that is connecting AND the server_log.txt (under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_#\Master) from the PC that is hosting the server. The # of the Cluster_# folder corresponds to the slot # of the server in the Host Game screen. Slot 1 is for Cluster_1, Slot 5 is for Cluster_5, etc.

I hope the first bit fixes it though, report back when you can. Cheers.

Hi Zill,

Thank you for your response. I have whitelisted DST in both PCs Anti-viruses and set both of those .exes to run as administrator. It still did not allow my wife to join.

Here, I believe, are the files you requested. Any help you can offer is appreciated. All the best. -Voen

cluster.ini

leveldataoverride.lua

modoverrides.lua

boot_modindex

modindex

saveindex

server_save

server.ini

server_chat_log.txt

server_log.txt

cluster.ini

cluster_token.txt

leveldataoverride.lua

modoverrides.lua

boot_modindex

modindex

saveindex

server_save

server.ini

server_chat_log.txt

server_log.txt

client_log.txt

Also, as of tonight we were unable to even resume our local-specific server, a workaround that had succeeded in the past recommended from elsewhere in the server. So now we really can't even play together :(.

Hey @Voendomar, sorry about not replying sooner (I had PC troubles that I need to deal with). I have a few questions:

• Can you confirm that the issue still exist in the current version of DST?
  • If the issue still occurs with the latest version. Can you tell me how you're both connected on the same Network? Is it through WIFI or Ethernet?
  • Can both PCs find each other on the network (they can ping each other's IPs through Windows Command Prompt)?
  • If whitelisting DST doesn't work, have you attempted to drop firewall on both PCs and see if that still doesn't work either?
  • Are the server you running set to Public OR Local Only OR Friends Only? Is the issue still the same when you try the other modes?

Sorry again for the delay. That's all I can think of for now. Cheers.

Hello @treynuf, welcome to the forums. Have you guys tried the method I mentioned here? Also be informed about networking issues from this Klei Support Article. There are multiple reasons for something like that to happen (??? ping), one of which is possibly due to Firewall blocking any attempts for the game client to ping the server. So make sure that is DST is run as Administrator and that the game is whitelisted in your anti-virus (if any).

Cheers.

Hi Zillvr,

Thank you for your response. No worries on being late - its been busy for myself also. 

My wife and I ran through the troubleshooting you recommended and we were able to peg down the issue. We are only unable to connect when one of us hosts while adding caves. Every other variation has no impact on connectivity, only adding caves. Therefore, having eliminated the other variables, we can say fairly confidently that something is up with hosting DST Caves maps. 

Please let us know if you have any luck resolving this issue now that you know the root. My wife and I have been excited for caves in Don't Starve Together for months, and are pretty bummed about not being able to benefit from the amazing content. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Also, Treynuf, sorry to hear you are having the same issue. it is very frustrating. We don't have the ???'s in our ping so I'm not sure if you will find the root cause to be the same for you.

Hi Zillvr,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was only able to open those ports for one local IP at a time, but I did it for the local IP of my computer (did not work) and the local IP of her computer (also did not work).

I also tried inputting the IP that comes up in the steam message that says the server is not responding, but the router said that was an invalid IP (which isn't too surprising). 

@Voendomar I'm not well-versed with configuring routers, so I don't know how much help I can be after this one. The local IP of the PC that would be hosting should be the one used in the port forwarding. So if you used your own PCs local IP, then you did try to host the server on your PC with caves after that, which didn't work correct?

Hi Zillvr,

It seems to be working ! 

My wife had to disable searching by friends in the browser list. She still can't join using the shift-tab function on steam, but if she searches manually through the server list by name she can find it and join.

Thanks so much for bearing with us ! So glad to have it working :) I'll return if the issues resumes.

Archived