The Complete Webber Saga

The Complete Webber Saga.

A series of fictional Don't Starve Together stories. From Webber's perspective.

Part I -The Insulated Pack

I logged into a PvP Wilderness server one afternoon. As always I picked Webber, turns out the server was in late Winter. The land was barren, a stumpy, flint less one. Still, I managed to make it into Spring by burning stumps and eating whatever food I could find (mostly cooked monster meat from killing spiders with torches). By the start of Spring I really was not in a great position, I was down to about 40 sanity and had almost no health left, I did have a full belly and a lot of grass though. I wandered through the land, now I could explore without freezing to death, I found a few pieces of flint which I used to make a couple axes to chop wood, since I was burning through campfires quickly thanks to the nonstop rain. I chopped to keep alive for the next couple days, living off butterflies from the newly spawned flowers. That was, until, my chopping caught up to me and a Treeguard spawned. This was the worst possible thing that could have happened, I still didn't have any weapons due to the lack of gold (I couldn't pacify him since I foolishly planted all my pine cones before encountering him).

So, like any proud Don't Starve Together player, I ran away. I spent an entire day running, picking flowers to stay sane and hoping it wouldn't keep following me. Up until this point I hadn't seen any other players, there were around 7 in tab, and there was a little activity in chat, two people trading and somebody complaining that they couldn't find their silk. But then, running through the woods in terror, I found a Woodie. He was beside a campfire drying his log suit and top hat. When he saw me he told me to stay the heck away from his things, but I told him I was being chased by a Treeguard and he agreed to help kill it. When it came he attacked, carefully kiting it with his spear and dealing many successful hits. Unfortunately, the spring rain had taken a toll on his gear and the wetness caused his spear to fly from his grip. He immediately took a swing from the Treeguard, which broke his log suit. The lumberjack tried to keep fighting it with Lucy the Axe, but it slipped too and he took two hits. I tried to help, but there was only so much I could do with an axe. Woodie took one more hit and died protecting me from a Treeguard.

With his target dead, the Treeguard, now neutral, wandered off. I built a new fire near Woodie's corpse. I felt pretty awful getting him killed like that, I didn't want to take his stuff, but I wasn't going to live much longer without it. He had valuable food, wood and twigs. However, after battling that Treeguard, I wasn't in a good spot sanity-wise. My health was nothing to brag about either, so I just kept wandering, trying to find gold. Hounds attacked a few days later, I lured they to the Treeguard and ate the meat, but then I encounter some people. The found me beside my campfire cooking monster meat, there were three of them. A WX-78 accompanied by a Wolfgang and Wigfrid. They told me that either I gave them all my stuff or they would kill me. I couldn't really fight them, so I gave them most of my stuff, while still holding onto my spider eggs, a few berries and three flint. All my hard work had just taken by a group of mobsters. I almost starved for the next couple days, until I found a kind Wilson. This Wilson offered for me to come live in his base in exchange for being the spider tender. It was two more days of walking to the base, it was a secluded marsh that still had a surprising amount of tentacles. Once we reached the base I realized Wilson must have lasted a very long time on the server. There were rows of drying racks, crock pots and chests. There were also other people, a Wickerbottom and Wendy also lived here. 

The summer was well spent, I learned a ton of science recipes and as promised tended the spiders. I also learned about the server history from Wilson. The trio that had robbed me earlier were well known on the server as thieves and hardcore PvPer's. As it turned out the Wendy and Wickerbottom had similar pasts to mine, both wandering the wastes until being recruited by Wilson. Wendy would go and trade with players for supplies, and Wickerbottom tended the base and spawned tentacles with her books to keep out invaders. Wilson would gather manure and fur from the beefaloes far away and bring whatever plants were left to our base. I stayed close to the base and tended our now plentiful spider farm, killing queens and starting spider civil wars for meat and silk. By the middle of Autumn we had about 10 berry bushes, and 8 or so saplings and grass tufts. He also had 2 improved farms we used for growing dragonfruit. Things started to go downhill after the Bearger attacked. It was early one morning, Wendy spotted the Bearger and Wilson asked her to lead it to the swamp so we could kill it. The fight went surprisingly well, and we managed to get the thick fur for an insulated pack. But, WX-78 and company decided that the pack belonged to them and threatened to burn down our base if we didn't give it to them. Wickerbottom was pretty freaked out and wanted to hand over the pack, but Wilson said if they wanted the pack they would have to come and get it. 

And so the siege began. 

One night, the four of us were beside a fire pit when Wendy was hit by something, two sleeping darts, then a moggles clad Wigfird charged in and hit me with a ham bat. In two hits almost 75% of my health was gone. If it wasn't for Wilson freezing Wigfrid with an ice staff we may have all died. Wickerbottom and Wilson quickly stun locked and disposed of the intruder. Wendy woke up as day broke, but this was just a scouting attack. Chat was filled with curses from WX-78 and threats to burn down the base, but we knew it would take a fight for the base to fall into enemy hands. 

We began preparing the next day, using all our cut stone to build walls and traps for the base, at night the only entrance had 4 bee mines blocking it, and we also had 2 ice flingomatics for fire protection. We now had a fortified base, but in the meantime WX-78 and co had been improving too, they now had many more sleep darts, gunpowder, and even a dark sword for Wolfgang. We learned this via chat from somebody they killed, even they we weren't sure if that was all they had.

At the start of Winter, a Willow came to our base and asked if she could live with us, I was skeptical, but Wilson said she could come and join us. She stayed in the base until about dusk, Wendy and Wickerbottom had already come back from their tasks, and the three of us stood beside Willow. Willow then walked over to the ice box, and ate 3 red caps, dying from the last one. I wondered why in the world she would do something like that. Then I saw what she died with. From her corpse around 80 killer bees spawned, bees somebody must have spent days gathering. Then it occurred to me that WX-78 might have enlisted some help to attack our base, I didn't have time to think though, the bees were upon us. 

Wendy used Abigail's AOE to kill some of the bees, but Abigail was quickly overwhelmed. I donned my log suit and charged the bees, which was not my brightest moment. I was quickly reduced to 68 health, and I ran, bringing about 20 bees with me. By this time, Wickerbottom had crafted a fire staff and was spamming it on the bees. I ran in circles for a little bit, and eventually Wickerbottom killed the rest of the bees with the fire staff, thanks to our flingomatics the damage was minimal. We told Wilson what happened in chat, and he said that we had to fight back. So after he arrived the four of us began preparing weaponry for a counter attack. My gear wasn't too great, but I tamed about 20 spiders and brought them along. Wendy had similar gear to me, but Wilson and Wickerbottom had a wide array of magic tier stuff. 

Using information in chat, our group eventually arrived at their base, though we went a lot slower since he had to build a ton of campfires to stay warm. Once we spotted the base we made an assault plan; Wendy would hammer the outside structures (bee boxes, drying racks), Wilson and I would kill the trio, and Wickerbottom was magic support. The base was quite large, it had everything a late game base would need, and it had lots of stone walls. We charged and inside the base was the enemy crew. I attacked WX-78 while Wilson dealt with Wigfrid. Wickerbottom froze Wolfgang and began breaking down their walls. Maybe attacking the obvious leader of the group wasn't a great idea, since he had nightmare armour and a ham bat. I was holding my own though, but the battle wasn't doing so well on the other side. Wolfgang had broken free from his icy prison, forcing Wickerbottom to join the melee else Wilson be double teamed, Wilson was doing well against Wigfrid, but he was going to have his armour broken soon. I might have even been winning against WX-78, but he hit me with 3 sleep darts and ran backwards. The evil robot ate two gears and rejoined the battle with rejuvenated health. 

This was not good, my armour was almost busted and now his health was full, I needed a rescue. When all seemed lost, Wendy broke through one of the walls and attacked WX-78 from behind with her ham bat and with Abigail (by this time all my spiders were dead). But while this was going on, the other battle was failing. Wickerbottom had just been slain by Wolfgang, leaving Wilson to fight a weakened Wigfrid and Wolfgang alone. Wendy and I stun-locked WX-78, but he just wouldn't die. We managed to break his nightmare armour, and finally killed him, but it was too late. Wilson had been forced to retreat from the duo of Wigfrid and Wolfgang. He got a little bit of a running start, but Wolfgang hit him with two blow darts and it was over. This left us with a tough decision, should we attack them in hopes of killing them in their weakened state, or loot the base and flee? We decide on the latter, Wolfgang and Wigfrid just ran through the broken remains of the base and left us to loot. I quickly grabbed some goodies from their chests, an eyebrella, tons of their jerky, living logs and even a tam 'o shanter. Then we checked the bodies, we took anything useful. We ended up with a pretty good amount of stuff, then we checked Wilson's body last. All his stuff was there, there was just one thing missing: the insulated pack. 

Part II -The Darkest Hour

Some time after the event of The Insulated Pack.
I had been playing on this Endless PvE server for a while now. It was early spring and me and my teammates. Willow and Wolfgang wanted to head into the caves (I was playing Wilson). Our base was already quite developed, and not many people on the server had gone into the caves yet. We had a spare deerclops eyeball and Wolfgang wanted to kill the Ancient Guardian and make a Houndius Shootius as a trophy. So the three of us prepared, packing tons of things into our inventory, we already knew most of the science recipes and had a pretty good amount of gear. We also stockpiled on food, mostly honey ham and jerky for maximum health restoration, since we figured we might not be back our until early summer. We had plans to make a base down there too, so we pre-build the essentials. So we went down the sinkhole to find glory, loot, and trouble, lots of trouble. 

Once we were down the sinkhole, we explored for a while until we found some rock lobsters. We left them alone since we thought they would just slow us down, well, Wolfgang and I left them alone, Willow thought it was a brilliant idea to attack them. And so we were chased by 7 or 8 rock lobsters. Willow later claimed it was a misclick, but that didn't matter because we got chased into a row a tier 3 spider nests. Willow, who saw lots of enemies, instinctively switch to her log suit and dropped her backpack. We ran forward a little bit, and Willow, who realized what she done tried to go back and grab her backpack, but there were too many foes and she just had to run. Once we lots our many foes, I immediately realized Willow had lost valuable food, and this was a bit of a setback. But, we continued anyway, and we discovered some rabbit hutches, and they immediately attacked us. There were six of them, but they were no match for out weaponry. We had a dinner of cooked meat. By this point Wolfgang had lost most of his sanity, but he didn't want to eat our valuable jerky supply. I told him he should have some anyway, but he decided to just make a straw roll instead. After Wolfgang woke up, we continued.

We located some mysterious blue flowers, fortunately I knew these were depth worms. The depth worms put up a fight though, and by the end of it everyone was missing a noticeable portion of health. Then we found some runic turf. We marvelled that we were already close to our goal, then we found some ancient statues. Willow said we should mind it, and we did, it dropped a blue gem, we were already obtaining loot. Then Wolfgang was hit by something. It was a nightmare creature, all of a sudden they were everywhere, the nightmare cycle had begun. We found valiantly against the shadows, but they quickly overwhelmed us, Willow and I left Wolfgang behind and ran. Eventually the nightmare phase ended, but Wolfgang died, he cursed us for leaving him behind and left the server. We had some bigger problems, we had little food since now we only had my backpack, I shared some jerky with Willow to restore out sanity that we had lost. We had no jerky now, and I hoped neither of us would go insane. 

We went forth in hopes of finding the guardian, although we couldn't find him like this. We did find some broken clockworks though, and we hammered them to get valuable thelecite. We set up a camp for the night, but our hopes of a permanent base were long since ruined. We constructed a tent and Willow slept in it while I used a straw roll. It wasn't really helping our food situation but we need to stay sane. Once we woke up we discovered a nearby base, or the remains of one. It was a rather large base, it had two tents, sone empty improved farms, and a crock pot. But the highlight was in the middle was a fully repaired  Ancient Pseudo Science Station. There were also two skeletons beside it, one who died from a crawling horror and the other died from darkness. Seeing this ruining base was pretty demoralizing, but it got better once I crafted a thulecite crown at the station. Willow was jealous she didn't get anything, but I wasn't keen on rewarding her for our food situation (we also had no more thulecite). 

We soon found the labyrinth biome, and began exploring it. After a long time and a lot of dead ends, we found the ancient guardian. Though neither of us really thought that we should go find him in our current state, but if we didn't get some food soon we would both starve. We walked into the labyrinth and attack the guardian. Things as usual went horribly wrong, once we aggro'ed him Willow had gone insane and started fighting a crawling horror. I was trying to fight the guardian but without Willow to help is was going poorly. I ran over to Willow and killed the crawling horror for her, then the guardian charged and rammed both of us. Willow's log suit broke, and she ran behind one of the labyrinth pillars. She built a campfire beside one of the pillars, but then she was attacked by a terrorbeak. I was busy fighting the ancient guardian, but it hit me with is melee attack, busting of own log suit. Only my thulecite crown kept me alive. Battered, I decided to retreat to Willow's pillar-campfire reprieve, where she was still fighting a terrorbeak. I rushed beside the fire and helped her fight the terrorbeak. When the guardian charged, he got stuck between the pillar and campfire, just as Willow had planned. But, as I took a swing at the terrorbeak, it dissipated and reformed behind Willow, just far enough from me to land the killing blow to Willow. The terrorbeak disappeared having killed it's target. I finished off the guardian, but I didn't have enough health to make a heart to revive Willow. I grabbed the horn and cooked the meat that had been dropped. Willow and I started back on our way to the cave entrance. With a ghostly Willow accompanying me to the outside world, where an early summer landscape greeted us, I knew I had survived the darkest hour.

Part III -Checkmate

Shortly following the events of The Darkest Hour...
I had been doing quite well on an Endless PvP server. Although it was a PvP server, it was actually a pretty chill place with a large resource trading community. I was playing as Webber, and I had my own little base with a Wilson. Wilson went to spawn (which was a basically a big trading hub) every day while I would tend the base and kill the pigs that spawned from our small personal pig village. But all of this changed one day, at night more specifically. A Wes came to our base at dusk and asked if he could stay for the night, we let him stay of course, but I don't know why he wanted to stay with us.    This Wes was decked out, he had a Tam 'o Shanter and walking cane, but he also had a Krampus Sack. I asked him about the Krampus sack. He claimed it took him all summer to get the sack, so I congratulated him on it. 

After thanking me, he went to one of our crock pots and loaded it up. Then, someone shot him with a blow dart. I couldn't see who it was, but they must have had moggles on. Wes went into full panic mode, putting on nightmare armour and drawing a thulecite club. But, the attacker must have fled because as day broke, Wes turned his panic to anger and blamed me for the attempt on his life. I denied it but he wouldn't listen, he told me that he'd spent hours trying to get this sack and I just tried a dirty trick with the blow dart. He then said that unless I gave him the username of the person who tried to assassinate him he would come burn down my base. He gave me four Don't Starve days.

I had no doubt Wes would attack us, and with his superior gear we had no chance against him. I told Wilson in chat about our dilemma, and he suggested we build an army so Wes couldn't attack us. I thought that was our best chance at survival since we couldn't find out who had attacked Wes. We began recruiting anyone who would join us, we managed to recruit a Wendy for AOE damage and a Wickerbottom for book support. We fortified the base as best we could, making sure the flingomatic had plenty of fuel and building extra walls. Soon it was dusk on the third day and the four of us were strategizing. We knew Wes would try to even the numerical odds, but what could he bring? Pigs, bunny men or other players would be the obvious choice. Wickerbottom thought he might surprise us by bring rock lobsters up to the surface, or perhaps lure to Goose/Goose to our base (it was spring). But in the morning we all prepared for battle, and Wes brought his army. His army was not what we wound have expected, it was an army of damaged clockworks from the ruins. He had two rooks, three bishops and five knights.

Ten monsters in total, it was a surprise for sure. Wilson and I charged forward, avoiding the rooks and going right for Wes. We were intercepted by his knights, who stun-locked Wilson. Meanwhile, the rooks had charged into our back wall, killing Wendy and leaving Wickerbottom vulnerable. I killed two of the clockworks knights, freeing Wilson, and with his help we killed the other three knights. Wickerbottom had ran towards us, distracting the rooks. Wilson and I charged Wes. Wilson was shot and killed by the bishops, but I kept running. I staring hitting one of the bishops, but Wes hit me with his thulecite club. I finished off the bishop and turned my attention to Wes. Wickerbottom had already killed the second bishop and was killing the other two rooks. I duelled Wes, it was an even match. His superior gear but weak stats vs my weak gear but superior stats. I saw Wickerbottom had killed both the rooks, but Wes decided to end it. He played his pan flute, knocking out both of us. He quickly finished off Wickerbottom with his thulecite club. He walked over to me and typed "good fight" in chat.

Even though we had just fought tooth and nail, it was a little comforting knowing I lost to somebody with manners. Unfortunately for Wes, his victory was not long lived. He was hit with three sleep darts, rendering him helpless as a WX-78 walked up to both of us. He placed a stack of three gunpowder between us. I recalled this was the same WX-78 who had laid siege to our base on a different server. WX-78 backed away from the gunpowder. I rotated the camera angle to see our flingomatic was destroyed by the rooks and our base was more vulnerable then ever. WX-78 withdrew a fire staff and said one word: "Checkmate". 
He lit the gunpowder.

Part IV -Aftermath

The four of us ran back to our base. It was late spring, and we took the long hike back to the portal, and revived. It was a long journey to the base, about a day's walk. This meant we were away for a day already, who knew what the evil robot had done to our base. Once we got back, we saw the ruins of our once great base. It had been razed to the ground, we looked on the ground for anything. Most of it was gone, even the corpses had been looted. Even the fire pit had been hammered, this was a truly crushing defeat. After pooling our twigs and grass together, we crafted a hammer with the remains of the fire pit. We hammered everything that was left down, at least we had boards to fuel the fires we would need. Wendy built a campfire and everyone gathered around it. Nobody said anything, but Wilson broke the silence. "It's gone, everything is gone" he groaned. Wickerbottom remained silent, but Wendy spoke. "How are we supposed to recover from this Wilson?". I didn't know. Summer was in about seven days. We had no base, no food, and no clothing for summer. 

Wilson didn't answer Wendy's question. As day came the four of us split up. I went to find food, Wickerbottom and Wendy would find grass and sticks, and Wilson would find the location for a new base. I picked the nearby berries, but didn't find anything interesting. Soon the four of us huddled around a campfire, discussing our plans. Wilson had a spear and grass suit, Wickerbottom had an axe and Wendy had no weaponry. Wickerbottom advised we hunt a koalefeant, since my berries were not enough to feed four people. Sure enough, in the morning we began the hunt. We found tracks and eventually found a beast by dusk. An ewecus. I didn't have time to react, Wickerbottom was hit by the slime-kick combo and died instantly. I quickly grabbed her spear, but Wilson was slimed. I charged the beast, hitting it with my spear, and taking two nasty hits in the process. I only had 30 health, and I ran back as Wendy and Abigail attacked. Abigail stalled long enough for Wilson to finish off the ewecus. We built a campfire as night quickly fell, now we had a ghost with us. 

Wilson said it would be easier to just revive her here. I disagreed, we didn't have health to spare, but she stayed anyways. Then I saw a light coming to our fire. I thought it was WX-78, who had found us and was going to finish us off, but instead it was Wes. He had a lantern, top hat and backpack. Wes joined us by our fire and offered us a deal. "You help me get my krampus sack, I'll save you from your certain death in the summer". It was a unanimous decision. Wes revived Wickerbottom and gave us all some jerky, which we ate greedily. We spent the next day armouring up. With Wes' help, we all had spears, football helmets and log suits. We looked like an army, an army led by a mime with magic balloon powers. 

Wes told us he knew where WX-78's base was. I thought this was quite strange, as after stealing that stuff I would have expected him to spend at least until winter on the run. Wes led us there, the base was inside the Dragonfly's biome. It was a square of stone walls with some things in the middle. There was two layers of stone walls. A drying rack, two crock pots, a tent, it seemed pretty regular. Except for the telelocator focus in the middle of the stuff, it had all three gems, too. I theorized that this was WX-78's escape plan. 

Then I noticed something, nearby a dragonfly had been penned in a separate compartment of the little fort. Wes realized what was happening and tried to warn us, but it was too late. WX-78 had penned the gap we got in from with a moon rock wall, trapping us in. I only saw him for a moment, but he had a telelocator staff in hand and was close to the dragonfly. I realized what was happening, he had made an elaborate fake base to lure us in and then pen us in with a dragonfly. His plan had worked, and now we had to fight the dragonfly. It warped in as WX-78 used the telelocator staff on in. It was five of us against the dragonfly, but it had 27,000 health. This would be a real battle. 

The five of us charged the molten insect, and began tanking him, all attacking together. We tanked him for about 4 seconds and then retreated, running around on fire. We charged again, except for Wes, who began placing gunpowder to try and blow through the walls. However, since the walls were so tough, it would take several consecutive detonations to blow an exit for us. We had to stall until Wes could trigger the explosives. Wendy and Wilson charged, while Wickerbottom and I stayed back to move in once they landed their hits. The two of us worked in unison, kiting the beast and taking turns swinging. However, Wes wasn't having much luck, WX-78 kept spamming water balloons after he realized what Wes was up to. Things began to fall apart, Wilson's armour was completely broken, forcing him on wall duty with Wes. Wendy was caught in the triple stomp attack, and Wickerbottom had to tank to let Wendy escape. 

Meanwhile, Wes had ditched the gunpowder idea and was breaking through the wall with a hammer, but WX-78 wouldn't let it happen, he kept freezing both Wes and Wilson. I knew his staff was almost out of durability though, we only had to stall a little longer. But, Wendy took her last swipe from the dragonfly and died, leaving only me and a weakened Wickerbottom to fight the insect. Wes and Wilson had broken through the wall, giving chase to the dastardly robot. I debated retreat, but knew that this dragonfly had little health left and that me trying to escape would likely leave Wickerbottom to die. I decided to fight, and we almost finished off the dragonfly. But night fell, forcing us to retreat the craft torches, which meant we took a couple huts from the dragonfly, breaking our armour. We managed to escape, but since the dragonfly was faster than us, we kept getting hit from behind.

I ran up to Wickerbottom  with my torch, letting her attack the beast while Wendy and I held the lights. She killed the beast. We had done it, killing the insanely hard to kill insect. Wickerbottom picked up the goods as day broke, and we started off trying to meet up with Wes and Wilson, who had been successful in killing WX-78. Upon meeting up with them at the beginning of summer, we discovered that Wes had not reclaimed his Krampus Sack. Wes told us he thought that WX-78 had stashed it in the caves prior to the battle with the dragonfly. I thought it was a shame, but Wes had got most of his things back. Wes helped us rebuild out base, this time with extra flingomatics, and helped fund our drying rack reconstruction. But, as all was well in our new base, I wondered what had become of WX-78 and the Krampus Sack... 

17 hours ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

I just got to part II, and will continue reading later, but good job with your storytelling! Geez, I feel like I've been missing out by not playing PvP yet! Very well written, and very interesting. 

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I wish I had experiences like you with PvP. All this drama and suspense you managed to convey through the stories! I admit to boredom in PvP as nobody wants my help or an alliance. Nobody trusts the admin... I survive just fine, but solitude is boring. Any tips on getting similar experiences to yours?

Archived