Don't Starve Together FAQ

Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about Don't Starve Together.

What is Don't Starve Together?
What are the system requirements for Don't Starve Together?
Who got Don't Starve Together for free?
What if I bought Don't Starve before June, 3rd and haven't used my key yet?
I bought Don't Starve from GOG, do I get Don't Starve Together on Steam?
After June 3, will new purchases of Don’t Starve get Don’t Starve Together for free?
What happens if I buy Don't Starve now?
How does the friend copy work for Don't Starve Together?
I registered for the closed beta; where's my invite/key?
How many players can join/play on a server?
Can I play Don't Starve Together with a controller/gamepad?
Does Don't Starve Together have caves and ruins content?
Does Don't Starve Together have an adventure mode?
Does Don't Starve Together support Reign of Giants content?
Can I stream or make videos of Don't Starve Together?
Is Don't Starve Together coming to other platforms?
Is Don't Starve Together coming to PlayStation 4?
I have suggestions and feedback for the game, where should I put it?
I found a bug in Don't Starve Together! Can you fix it?

What is Don't Starve Together?
Don't Starve Together is a stand-alone multiplayer expansion to Don't Starve. This is a separate game from Don’t Starve, and you are not required to own one to play the other.

What are the system requirements for Don't Starve Together?

Please note that when hosting a server, you'll need to ensure that your system surpasses the system requirements listed below. Clients however, should be able to join in and play on servers as long as they meet the system requirements.

IntelChipsets (GMA Graphics Cards)
There are some known issues running the game using Intel integrated chipsets (G33/G31, Q965/Q963 etc....) . If your GPU (graphics card) has the letters "GMA" in the model number, or has less than 256 MB of dedicated RAM, we are not able to support it.

DEDICATED SERVER SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

OS: Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 / Linux Ubuntu 12.10 or higher
Processor: 1.7+ GHz or better
Memory: 1+ gigs of RAM RAM
Hard Drive: 1+ GB HD space

PC STEAM (Minimum)

Memory: 1+ gigs of RAM RAM
Graphics: Radeon HD5450 or better; dedicated 256 MB or higher (GMA Cards not supported - See above)
Shader Model: SM 3.0 (Please note that this is temporary and may change in future builds)
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 500 MB HD space
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
Additional Notes: Not recommended for Intel GMA graphics cards

MAC OS X (Minimum)

Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel 
Memory: 1+ GB RAM 
Graphics: NVidia or ATI graphics card, 256 MB Dedicated RAM or higher 
Network: Broadband Internet connection 
Hard Drive: 750 MB available space 
Additional Notes: Not recommended for Intel GMA graphics cards or Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

LINUX + STEAM OS (Minimum)

Memory: 1 GB RAM 
Graphics: Radeon HD5450 or better; 256 MB Dedicated RAM or higher 
Network: Broadband Internet connection 
Hard Drive: 750 MB available space
Additional Notes: Not recommended for Intel GMA graphics cards

Who got Don't Starve Together for free?
Don't Starve Together was added to the original purchase of Don't Starve. This means, that if you purchased Don't Starve at any time before June 3rd, 2015 Don't Starve Together was included with your purchase.

If you purchased Don't Starve Together separately before June 3rd, you were given an extra copy of the game at that time, and you will not be given another key for Don't Starve Together.

What if I bought Don't Starve before June, 3rd and haven't used my key yet?
If you purchased Don't Starve from the Humble Store, or from our website and never used your Steam key, just head over to Steam, and once you activate your key, you will find both Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together in your library. 

What happens if I buy Don't Starve now?
If you buy Don't Starve now, you have the choice of buying just Don't Starve, or buying Don't Starve along with Don't Starve Together. Don't Starve Together is no longer being gifted to new purchases of Don't Starve. 

After June 3, 2015 will new purchases of Don’t Starve get Don’t Starve Together for free?
No, we were only gifting a free copy of Don’t Starve Together on June 3rd, 2015. This means that June 2nd was the last day to qualify to receive Don’t Starve Together by purchasing Don’t Starve. 

I bought Don't Starve from GOG, do I get Don't Starve Together on Steam?
If you had purchased Don't Starve from GOG before June 3rd, 2015, please contact us directly and provide us the game key that you received from GOG.com and we'll get it sorted out.

How does the friend copy work for Don't Starve Together?
Don’t Starve Together can be purchased for $14.99 (USD), which includes a giftable copy of Don’t Starve Together for your friend. You'll be able to send the gift copy of Don't Starve Together to your friend via Steam. More information about gifting can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549

I registered for the closed beta; where's my invite/key?
If you have registered for the closed beta using a valid email address and have not yet received your invite/key, please contact us directly and provide us the email address that you used to register for the closed beta.

How many players can join/play on a server?
We are supporting six-player client servers; however, dedicated servers can support more players.

Can I play Don't Starve Together with a controller/gamepad?
Yes! We have recently added full controller support to Don't Starve Together. 

Does Don't Starve Together have caves and ruins content?
Caves and Ruins content are now available for Don't Starve Together. Check here to find out how to host your cave servers. 

If you would like to host forest as well as caves/ruins dedicated servers, please see our dedicated servers settings and quick start guides.

Does Don't Starve Together have an adventure mode?
Don't Starve Together does not have adventure mode at this time.

Does Don't Starve Together support Reign of Giants content?
We have added the vast majority of the content from the Reign of Giants expansion into Don’t Starve Together. 

Can I stream or make videos of Don't Starve Together?
You sure can! We're pretty relaxed when it comes to YouTube and Streaming (Twitch, etc.) permissions. That being said, it would be super cool if things linked to http://store.steampowered.com/app/322330/, but it's not mandatory. 

You'll find more info about YouTube and Streaming video stuff in our player creation guidelines.

Is Don't Starve Together coming to other platforms?
Don't Starve Together is now available for PC, Mac OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. We don't have any announced plans for Don't Starve Together on other platforms at this time. If anything changes, or if we have anything to announce, we will be sure to let everyone know.

Is Don't Starve Together coming to PlayStation 4?
Yes it is! Don't Starve Together is now available on the PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store

I have suggestions and feedback for the game, where should I put it?
Awesome! We welcome your suggestions for items, resources, and other stuff that you would like to see in Don't Starve Together. You should head over to the suggestions and feedback forum and let us know!

I found a bug in Don't Starve Together! Can you fix it?
If you think you've found a bug in Don't Starve Together, you should head over to our Bug Tracker and see if anyone else has had issue like your own. If yes, add to the discussion! If you can't find your issue, add a new one and we'll take a look at it as soon as we can.

• Like 11
  • Potato Cup 1

I've been looking for answers to my question, but can't find anything, so I'll put it here with high hopes. Can you get skins if you play alone on a server? I set up my own server and I began to play on it, and I played for a long time, but not drops came from it. I'm not sure if I'm not waiting long enough, or it's just skin criteria. Thanks in advance for the help! #forveralone

• Developer
3 hours ago, glommerhugger said:

I've been looking for answers to my question, but can't find anything, so I'll put it here with high hopes. Can you get skins if you play alone on a server? I set up my own server and I began to play on it, and I played for a long time, but not drops came from it. I'm not sure if I'm not waiting long enough, or it's just skin criteria. Thanks in advance for the help! #forveralone

The latter. As long as you are online and on a server you will get skins :)

• Like 1

• Developer
1 hour ago, Purv1s said:

When will don't starve together be coming to XB1? I own the game for Xbox and want to play with friends. Thanks 

This is just a hunch, but if it ever is made for the XB1 it'll be after ANR is done for the PC and then ported for the PS4.

Let's not forget they're also working on 2 other games, Oxygen Not Included and Hot Lava.

• Like 1

So hang on- you don't have to buy a gift because it's already included? Is that how it works? I'm a bit confused. I want to give this to a friend, haven't bought it yet, do I need to buy a gift as well as buying it for me?

EDIT: ok, I think I understand: it comes with the gift. I was confused by the Steam page about it- that didn't mention that you could get the game and the gift as a bundle. But if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Edited by _catness_
To let people know I had figured out the problem

Here's a tip: if you want to play in your own client server with more than 6 players you can easily increase that limit with workshop mods. Download "More players!" to increase the limit to up to 12 and "More players+" to go up to 64. They work great as long as your internet can handle it.

I don’t know where to post this and I did not want to create a new topic to get an answer.. so I’m just going to post my question here and hope someone replies-

I am a quiet Gamer.. I keep to myself and I rarely if ever use a headset therefore the problem is other players who use headsets, I WANT to join games and play with people the game is called Don’t Starve Together after all.. but what I DON’T want is to hear what sounds like a hundred 9 year old children all yelling at one another on their headsets & would like to ask Is there a way to turn Microphone chat off completely?? I live in a small house with family members trying to sleep in close proximity to me and my Xbox, I can control the games volume and turn that down to acceptable levels, what I can not seem to control is joining other players worlds or them joining mine and being incredibly LOUD over their mic’s compared to the rest of my games volume settings.

so the TL:DR version- Please Klei for the love of my ears add a option in the Settings menu that let’s me disable ALL players Mic’s so I don’t have to join a game and mute them all manually one by one each time. :(

Thank You.

• Developer
1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know where to post this and I did not want to create a new topic to get an answer.. so I’m just going to post my question here and hope someone replies-

Actually, this would be a great suggestion to post here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/160-dont-starve-together-xbox-one/